  Re: Linux is awful ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Caifornia power shortage...
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:12:23 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>     Aaron> Actually, the REAL problem is that the ECO-NUTS in
>     Aaron> California shut down practically every fission power
>     Aaron> project that came down the pike in the 1970's.
>
>     Aaron> If those plants had been built, a lot of oil-fired and
>     Aaron> coal-fired plants would have been taken off-line a long
>     Aaron> time ago AND Cali.  would STILL have surplus capacity.
>
> If those  plants had been built,  you'd be worrying about the leakage of
> radioactive materials,

No...i would not.

>                        including the periodically dumped nuclear waste
> that  is a  "by-product" of  *normal operation*  of a  nuclear fission
> plant.

Ah yes...the fundamental problem with nuclear power plants...
being able to haul off the waste in solid form and put it
PRECISELY where we want it.  Such a hooorrrrrrrrible problem.

You're right...we should just keep using plants that just
throw shit up into the air, where we have no control over it.

> Maybe, you're  too young to  have memories about the  nuclear disaster
> that occurred in USSR over a decade ago.  The adverse effects are till
> persisting nowadays...

I studied nuclear reactor design in the 1970's.
The plant at Chernobyl would never have been granted a building
permit in Western Europe or North America.  The ONLY types of
societies that build carbon-pile reactors are totalitarian
governments which don't give a fuck how many people they kill.

> Remember, the 1970's is the time  of the Oil Crisis, which has already
> gone.

And your point is?

> --
> Lee Sau Dan                     §õ¦u´°(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)
> .----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
> | e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     http://www.csis.hku.hk/~sdlee |
> `----------------------------------------------------------------------------'

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:13:48 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Really?  I had a clock-radio that when "off" kept the clock on.  Very usual
> >> for its time.
>
> Note:  no response.

> >> An "off" switch that leaves 10 amps of power running isn't much of an
> >> off switch.
>
> Note:  no response.

> >> One position is "on" and the other position is "off".
>
> > The switch marked "on" and "off" on my 1903A4 Springfield is a Power
> > Switch?
>
> Show me your 1903A4 Springfield.
>
> > Not all switches marked thus perform the same functions or
> > perform the same functions the same way!
>
> Irrelevant, given that I didn't say they do.

Tholen...
  when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
  remember to slit lengthwise.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus! (OT) (humor)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:14:04 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> What alleged illogic, Marty?
>
> > Are you suggesting that a counting problem is an attribute indicative
> > of being logical?
>
> I wasn't suggesting anything, Marty; I was asking a question.

Tholen...
  when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
  remember to slit lengthwise.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:19:01 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
>
> I learned to use Alt-C to mark a block column; vi doesn't let me
> re-use that.  I learned to use Alt-W to write a buffer to disk;
> vi doesn't let me re-use that.  I learned to use Alt-X to exit
> the editor; vi doesn't let me re-use that.  I learned to use the
> Home key to go to the top of the screen; vi doesn't let me re-use
> that.  Need I go on?

> >> You mean the $ never means the dollar sign?
>
> > Not in the range/motion part of a command.
>
> So in other parts, it could be inconsistent.

> >> Thus the symbol is overloaded, and not consistent.
>
> > But the meanings have something in common so it is consistent.
> > Note how our use of consistent is overloaded and not consistent.
>
> Not consistent with one another.  Your use could be erroneous.
>
> > We do this all the time and find it easier than remembering a
> > different symbol for every nuance of meaning.
>
> But you need to remember a different meaning.

> >> I see you missed my point.
>
> > I did as well.
>
> Glad you agree.
>
> > What point?  It re-uses the same information you learned for
> > every other vi command.
>
> The key words here are "you learned".

> >> Backslash is common in many other UNIX applications.
>
> > Backslash is the 'high level' escape actually seen by application
> > level input and a backslash preceding the end-of-line typically
> > means the app should ignore the line end and consider the next
> > line a continuation.
>
> That there might be different levels of escape is also not intuitive.
>
> > The control-V is normally the 'lnext' character in the tty input
> > subsystem below application level.
>
> The average user isn't going to know about tty input subsystems.
>
> > For example you can input a literal control-C or control-Z
> > into an application through the keyboard by preceding with
> > the control-V, even though they would normally generate
> > a signal at the OS level.
>
> The average user isn't going to know about signals at the OS level.
>
> > Vi is actually doing raw input and is in control of this escape
> > mechanism so it doesn't have to match the OS 'lnext' character,
> > but since the function is exactly the same, this is yet another
> > place vi does the intuitive thing and re-uses what you know in
> > another context.
>
> You're presupposing knowledge of tty input subsystems and OS signals.
>
> >> Do you consider yourself a UNIX novice?
>
> > Why would that matter?
>
> Intuition doesn't apply to people who already have experience.
>
> > A novice has less chance to re-use knowledge in intuitive ways.
>
> A novice has a greater chance to rely on intuition.

> >> And do you consider the mnemonic intuitive?
>
> > Mnemonics are usually made up after the fact, but they are
> > as intuitive as anything else.
>
> Are you suggesting that control-U and control-D were chosen before
> the "up" and "down" mnemonics were made up?

Tholen...
  when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:24:55 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> >
> > I think I'll just call myself a freethinker.  Too many
> > people have projected their own delusions onto the
> > word "liberal".
>
> If you think left-wing liberalism is about freedom, I suggest
> that you go visit North Korea, Russia, China or Cuba, or talk
> to any of the millions who risked their lives to escape the
> Warsaw Pact countries to North America.

So you're just being politically correct.  Instead of using
the deprecated word "communist", you now use the p.c. word
"liberal".  I get it!  Gee thanks.

And, since some people in the U.S. call themselves
"liberals", that must mean they're what we can no longer
call "communist".  Your logic is subtle, yet awesome.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:25:52 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Steve Mading
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on 6 Dec 2000 00:07:30 GMT
> <90k002$ge2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >: That's the problem with Aaron's argument.  It can be used to claim that
> >: nothing is intuitive.  You're quite right to note that intuitiveness is
> >: not an absolute.
> >
> >If you really admitted that intuativeness was not an abosulte, you
> >would refrain from making such blanket statments as "vi is not
> >intuative".  If you really believed intuativeness was relative,
> >then that type of statement would require some qualifiers.
> >

> Vi is not intuitive ... just extremely useful for those who have
> learned its idiosyncracies.  I for one could say the same about Emacs or
> even Notepad, Wordpad, Microsoft Word, Corel WordPerfect, or other

Notepad is NOT useful.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: switching to linux
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:27:02 +0000

Craig Kelley wrote:

> "migs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > hi...
> >     im thinking of switching to linux and have installers for redhat
> > caldera, suse, and slackware.
> > is there any diff between these distriburtions??? if so what are the pros
> > and cons??
>
> If you have to ask, you'd probably better stick with RedHat or Suse.

Well, its probably a good idea to ask! Especially as
you can't compile a standard kernel in RH7 if you follow
the normal kernel how-to (yes don't worry: the kludge
is easy to do and documented at redhat website under
common problems). Also xinet replacing inetd is a buggy mess
(updates available at rh).
So, all in all asking question about disto's can be a rather
good idea and I wish I had before "upgrading" my redhat boxen
to the newest version - still, you live and learn. Who said
progress would be easy?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:32:14 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:15:55 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Bob Hauck wrote:

> >> Why should a computer less than five years old be ready for the trash
> >> heap?
> >
> >Because if you're stuck with Windows...that's how life goes.
>
> I seem to remember something regarding "refreshing hardware",
> as it relates to Windows.  I for one would find that slightly
> insidious, although it's also something that people wil probably
> want anyway as hardware gets faster, bigger, cheaper, better.
> But to have an OS *require* hardware refresh of this type?  Bleah.

Precisely.  At work, we have 10-year old HP's that started out
running HP-UX 9.04 and are now running HP-UX 11.x

Microsoft-running machines could NEVER survive two major OS releases.

> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- if I want something refreshing, I'll do the Dew
>                     up 81 days, 18:43, running Linux.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.