From: "Martigan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE: Hacker Steals Redhat Linux Source Code
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 14:52:47 GMT

    ;-)

    Nice twist of things!
"Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:92kr6t$lu5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Hacker Steals Redhat Linux Source Code"
>
> By Adam Warner - UAP*
>

> In an act that's widely believed to be in retaliation for the stealing of
> source code to an unnamed Microsoft product, a hacker only known as MSRU|Z
> broke into the network of Red Hat, Inc. on 13 November 2000 and was able
> remain undetected while downloading the entire source code of Redhat 7.0,
> codename "Pinstripe".
>
> "Since I only have a 14.4k modem," says MSRU|Z, "downloading the source
code
> took rather a long while. Thus I was surprised that I was able to remain
> undetected for over one month."
>
> However MSRU|Z was in for a shock when he tried to sell the source code to
> the Russian Mafia: "I put out feelers to the underground community saying
> would sell the code for a mere US$100,000 but everyone just laughed at me!
>
> "It just goes to show how unpopular Linux is. Someone offered me $3 so
long
> as I supplied a blank CD."
>
> At the time of going to press no Red Hat spokesperson would comment.
However
> off the record Red Hat software engineers are blaming their in-house trial
> of new functionality that automatically downloads programs from the
Internet

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Advocacy?
Date: 30 Dec 2000 15:04:14 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Joseph T. Adams wrote:

:> Last I checked, DOS can't read the NTFS filesystem, at least not
:> without the help of third-party utilities.

: Then get the third party tool to read NTFS, or don't use NTFS.

In spite of the difficulty inherent in anything other than NT reading
or writing NTFS, I would never even consider running NT on FAT32.

Actually, I no longer encourage or recommend the continued use of NT
in *any* role.  I've never recommended it as a server to begin with,
because it isn't sufficiently reliable or cost-effective.  But I did
once recommend it as an acceptable desktop platform, back in the days
when free software did not yet offer comparable functionality.  Now
that Netscape, Konqueror, StarOffice, etc. are both available and
free, I don't believe there is any reason for most organizations to
continue to purchase NT or W2K licenses, or not to phase out the use
of all proprietary software.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30 Dec 2000 15:05:55 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Joseph T. Adams wrote:

:> Just list it alphabetically (ls by itself without options will do so).

: Unless the service is not there in the first place. I'm trying to add a new
: service. Where should it go? See later...

:> If you're going to administer your own system, then, yes, reading the
:> manual is generally considered a Good Thing.

: I read the manual, I consulted the man pages... there was nothing about
: where this service should go.

If it mattered, there very likely would have been.

Since there isn't, you can probably put it wherever you want to.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Martigan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is Bill Gates MAD?!?!?
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:06:08 GMT

    Well I'm sure we all know that good Old Bill is trying to move Microsoft
to Microsoft.NET.  Well some people think it's a flop he doesn't know what
he is doing.  People a worried since he bought some interest in RH and
Corel.  And if people read magz and articles on the net every one has a good
or bad opinion...gee..what a shock.

    Well here is my plain view on it.  Bill is a smart guy.  Yeah for most
computer sane people Windows, is a bloated, memory hog.  To the average user
(whom buys anything the media says is "HOT) windows is perfect, ya buy
something through it in and 80% it works fine, you don't have to reboot so
often.  Basically very little user intervention is needed!

    Linux is for the Smart people whom want to take the time to learn it and
use it to it's potential.  That's great BUT most consumers like being dumb
and happy, they don't care how or why it works just that it does.

    It's like cars these days, not many people can change their own oil,
hell some can't even pump gas.  They don't care how it works, just that it
does.  So in that aspect.  Microsoft "whistler"(sp?) is the next vision of
Mr. Gates.

    An OS that can run on many things besides a full blown computer...makes
me think...if Amiga has done a deal with RH say they have a base for there
new Operating Environment, one that is based on a Java like OS, and can be
run on a phone, toaster...blah, blah, blah....  what's going on?  There is a
weird triangle here.

------------------------------

From: "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: An Entire Day With Linux (Yukkkkk!!!)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:13:44 GMT

"John Travis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 07:10:16 GMT, "Martin Eden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :
> :I think I am going to plonk myself for a while from this group in a couple
> :of days. All this bullshit about checking headers... squawking about how
> :wonderful this is or how that sucks. It's lunacy.
>
> LOL!  See my post above :-).  Agreed.  I gues these groups serve their
> purpose and keep this kind of shit out of the real help groups though, for
> the most part anyway.

You guys are like Frasier and Niles Crane visiting a red-neck bar
and complaining about the conversation.  Luckily, here, you can't
get the intellectual crap beat out of y'all.

I'm givin' ya three steps, mister.

Chris the High-Tech Red-Neck

------------------------------

From: Greg S Trouw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:02:28 -0700

LOL, forgive me if I chuckle a bit at the absurdity of someone trying to
do this.  But what's the point?  The source code is available on a
Redhat CD distro, so what's the point? :-)
Adam Warner wrote:

> "Hacker Steals Redhat Linux Source Code"
>
> By Adam Warner - UAP*

< In an act that's widely believed to be in retaliation for the stealing
of
< source code to an unnamed Microsoft product, a hacker only known as
MSRU|Z
< broke into the network of Red Hat, Inc. on 13 November 2000 and was
able to
< remain undetected while downloading the entire source code of Redhat
7.0,
< codename "Pinstripe".

< "Since I only have a 14.4k modem," says MSRU|Z, "downloading the
source code
< took rather a long while. Thus I was surprised that I was able to
remain
< undetected for over one month."

< However MSRU|Z was in for a shock when he tried to sell the source
code to
< the Russian Mafia: "I put out feelers to the underground community
saying I

------------------------------

From: Greg S Trouw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: CPRM HDs to have deleterious effect on Linux?
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:11:09 -0700

>This is presumably something not being pushed by Microsoft, but by
>IT managers who want to lock down their systems, upon first read
>of this newspost.  Microsoft, of course, will register.  One would
>hope RedHat will, too.

        From everything I have read, I seriously doubt this gives *any* benefit
whatsoever to the computer user.  It is an anti-piracy scheme gone to
far, and I'd be no more for this sort of thing then I would be for a PSN
in my CPU.  I, like some others who have posted in here (well
comp.os.linux.advocacy specifically...I know it is a cross post) several
threads up would not like to see this thing, and would rather use
products that do *not* support it for computers which I use.

        Yes, I've heard that MS isn't pushing it (they are set against it,
because of certain compatibility probs that can result...and a
programmers HD on their development system is not going to necessarily
be the same as a users)...but it rather sounds like it is the content
providers (people like the RIAA as an example) who would want this sorta
scheme over people's HDs.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Advocacy: A Definition from Webster
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Form@C)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:30:27 GMT

<92kc9u$bt3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Hi Form@C,
>
>> I completely agree here. It is especially true of Linux that lively
>> discussion should take place. Without it there would be little to push
>> the development along as there is no real commercial development.
>
>The statement that there is no real commercial development of Linux is
>completely false (even with you using the subjective term "real").

ok, sorry Adam. I'm afraid that I had forgotten IBM in particular! There
may, indeed, be others.

><snip>
>
>> I'm not sure that this newsgroup would be such a good place to ask
>> advice on choice of OS, or anything else for that matter! The place is
>> full of extremists on all sides and unbiased opinion is in *very*
>> short supply...
>>
>> It *is* a good place to just see what people say about OSs before
>> going
>out
>> and looking closer though. Don't ask specific questions - just look.
>
>So let's get this right:
>
>1. This newsgroup is not a good place to ask anything.
>2. In fact don't ask any specific question.
>3. Only look at the newsgroup.
>
>Mick, I'm looking at an empty newsgroup :-)

1. not unless you are looking for several conflicting replies!
2. as 1. Haven't you noticed that a lot of the threads start by simple
   statement of opinion,fact or lie?  <grin>
3. this is good advice for *anyone* when first looking for info -especially
   newbies. It doesn't apply if you want to make comments, etc. Only if
   looking for unbiased opinion free of junk! <bigger grin>

>My advice is opposite: if you need to know about the specific
>capabilities of Linux in a real-world environment this is a good place
>to ask. It's easier to tackle a specific question (e.g. "How does ext2
>file system compression compare to NTFS?") rather than "Is Linux better
>than NT?"

Providing that your request is, specifically, Linux-orientated then yes, I
agree. The people on here appear to be very knowledgable. Woe betide anyone
turning up and asking "should I install Debian or Windows 98ME on my home
computer?" though. That would probably create a long and pointless thread
and leave the enquirer completely lost!
:-)

--
Mick
Olde Nascom Computers - http://www.mixtel.co.uk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Form@C)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:32:35 GMT

<92kr6t$lu5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Hacker Steals Redhat Linux Source Code"

lol!
I love it!

From: "Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Conclusion
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:50:46 -0700

> This was all detailed in another thread (titled "Uptimes", I believe).
> Looking back through that should provide you numerous examples.

Uptimes is actually the same thread as this one (I know, I started it).
There is only 1 example in the entire thread and that is yours.  I've read
every single post.  Someone did bring up amazon.com, but it was referring to
something else.

Adam Ruth

------------------------------

From: "Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:54:16 -0700

> cnbc.com is one, OS is listed as netware, server as IIS 4
> Several other examples has been posted.

cnbc.com is a bad example.  They obviously detected the OS of a firewall
(probably BorderManager), but couldn't get any uptime from it (as they
shouldn't be able to from a good firewall).  So therefore the accuracy of
uptime numbers remains intact.  I'm looking for an example of a site that
shows the OS of the webserver and the uptime of the firewall (or vice
versa).

Where are these several other examples?  People keep telling me about them
but no one has pointed me to them.

Adam Ruth

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Profitability of Linux being a challenge
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:59:17 GMT

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 14:11:14 GMT, "Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In another word the demand for Linux stocks dropped on a greater scale than
>any other tech stocks. At the same time the supply of the same increased in
>a greater proportion than the demand dropped. The blue print of a disaster
>in progress.

Linux stocks were way over valued from the start and as soon as the
dust and mis-information cleared these companies, along with Linsux,
were dissected and exposed for all the world to see. It was at this
point that Linux stocks went down faster than the Hindenburg.

This is not unlike the neophyte who goes into Electronics City and
purchases Linux because "he hates Gates and is tired of paying for
software". After actually TRYING Linux, instead of reading the hype
surrounding Linux, he quickly dumps Linux and goes back to a real,
professional operating system that has real, professional and polished
applications instead of the myriad of disjointed junk included with
the typical Linux distribution.

It happens time and time again and like I always say:

"Try Linux, please do, and then make up your mind".

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:03:00 -0500

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" wrote:

> You know that the original announcement of Windows NT (circa 1992)
> hasn't been posted to the web in a referencable form.  I'd love to
> see the original text of that speech.  Do you have a link I could
> reference.

I have a bunch of old pre NT 3.1 CD's, might it be on one of those?

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it  does)
)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 16:04:43 GMT

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 06:09:51 GMT, "Kyle Jacobs"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Ah yes, "Linux is easy to use".
>
>Alright, fine, LINUX is easy to use.
>
>Now make ALL the programs under it easy, and then we'll talk.

Linux is not about programs. Linux is the kernel. Repeat after
me....Linux is the kernel....Linux is the kernel....Linux is the

Linux is pathetic.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 16:09:10 GMT

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:24:44 +1200, "Adam Warner"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Hacker Steals Redhat Linux Source Code"

More proof of the twisted minds of the Penguinista's.

It's not even funny?

Now "Linux" THAT'S FUNNY!!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: PPP over serial line (w/ Win98 and Linux)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 16:43:42 GMT

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000 07:52:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I took out proxyarp from the options file but it's still complaining the
>same thing in the /var/log/messages.  (Could not determine local IP
>address)... any other advice?

Make sure /etc/ppp/options is readable, along with the /etc/ppp
directory itself.  Try to confirm that options is actually being read
(that you haven't got it in the wrong place for instance).  Try adding
"debug" to see if you do get more debug info.  Try adding "noipdefault"
to see if that fixes the problem.  Also, you probably don't want
ipcp-accept-local or ipcp-accept-remote on the server end.

I don't know what version of pppd you have, but looking at the source
for an older one reveals that your error is caused by not being able to
determine the local address, specifically that it is still set to zero
when IPCP starts.  This defaults to your ethernet address, but
specifying in /etc/ppp/options should override, or you'll get it from
the peer at an earlier stage.  So, either your options file isn't being
read, or the peer is sending you a bad address and you accept it.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking