From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:14:43 -0500

tony roth wrote:

> hmm,  like I've said before the only possible way to crash an nt4 sp6a
> server is by administrative ignorance!

Then how come we don't see any NT4 boxes with 180 day uptimes?

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > tony roth wrote:

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:19:46 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > If you run Microsoft Windows you will be using a closed source
> > system and this means you will always have security problems.
> >

> Fair point, but this can be a problem even in open source.  For example,
> a compiler can insert a back door into an OS.  The compiler being open
> source won't help, cos in compiling the compiler the code to insert code
> into the OS can be inserted into the compiler, making the original
> malicious code as untraceable as the security bugs in closed source
> software.

The difference is...this is about the ONLY attack on Open Source that
is highly obscure...and...if you switch compilers, the problem disappears,
immediately, so it's a dead-end.

Conversely, with closed source...the number of security holes is
virtually limitless...as the distributor can deliberitely install
as many security holes as they like...and recompiling by the customer
is NOT an option.

> --
> http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux envy Microsoft?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:21:59 -0500

tony roth wrote:

> Bottom line Aaron your the dumbest fuck in all of usenet!  Boy you'd almost
> have me thinking your an attorney but your even stupider then an attorney!
>
> Microsoft is appealling the ruling NOT the sentance, you goddamned fucking
> retard

You retard...there are TWO rulings in the case.

The first ruling is the ruling of GUILT.  Microsoft is NOT, I repeat NOT
appealing this ruling.

The second ruling is the sentance.  THAT is what Microsoft is appealing.

> Microsoft is  appealing the conviction, you goddamned fucking retard
> There *WERE* proven guilty, by a goddamned fucking retard.

You really are a shit-head if you believe this.

> get your facts straight
>
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> There *WERE* proven guilty, you goddamned fucking retard.
> Microsoft is NOT appealing the conviction, you goddamned fucking retard.
> Microsoft is ONLY appealing the *sentance*, you goddamned fucking retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:23:54 -0500

Nate Good wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Nick Condon"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Wrong....
> >
> > She said it herself. Repeatedly. She wrote whole papers on the subject,
> > like "The Virtue of being Selfish".
> >
> > [snipped irrelevencies]
>
> You're right.  Rand had to shame in pointing out the personal benefits of
> selfishness.  But the "irrlevencies" that you conveniently snipped clarified
> your erroneous suggestion that Rand thought "altruism was immoral".
> You missed the point--altruism is not immoral, altruism in the context of how
> the antagonists where displaying it is immoral.  And that's what the
> "Wrong...." meant (to me, anyway), at least if you read it PAST the elepsis.
>
> I think "Atlas Shrugged" portrays the U.S. now so well that it's creepy
> considering when it was written and who it was written by.
>
> I've seen too many people who don't show up for work, do a sloppy job
> because they won't lift a finger nor take pride in accomplishing a task
> well.  These people will press and press until they are finally canned.
> Then they get to sit at home watching Jerry Springer while they collect
> unemployment or welfare.  And where does this money come from?  From
> people who show up to work every day and do their jobs well enough to
> keep them.  What an ideal society...
>
> Rand may have been extreme, but I think she makes several good points.
> Is it right for a society to force those successful to share?
>
> Oh, but wait.  I'll work my ass of so someone can sit on their can all
> day eating stale generic potato chips and chugging bear at nine in the
> morning.  Afterall, I wouldn't want to be labled a "bigot" just because I
> believe when I work for something that I deserve the full reward for my
> labor...

Bottom line:

When you're doing it with someone else's money, it's not altruism..it's THEFT.

> >> Neither of which applies to Ayn Rand.
> >
> > Riiight.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: 9 Jan 2001 08:26:11 GMT

On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 07:36:53 GMT, Kyle Jacobs wrote:
>Firstly, if you had bothered to read what you clipped, you'd note that this
>was a response to KDE not being the "desktop" answer it's cracked up to be.

Have you heard of "topic drift" ?

>Second, "Linux not for the desktop" is a load of shit.

I didn't say that. I said it's not for the average home users
desktop. But it's great on (for example) a UNIX developer's desktop.

But my claim is certainly well founded. Linux is a UNIX-like OS by design.
When Linus was working on Linux, he wasn't thinking "I've got to make
it as user friendly as possible so that my grandma can use it". He
was more concerned with porting bash, gcc and other GNU utilities.

The target audience at the time was Linus himself -- a CS graduate
student.

The result was an OS that is great for CS graduate students. Because of
its UNIX origins and the interest it's generated, it's also become one
of the stronger UNIX versions, and has similar advantages as a server
OS. While these weren't design goals originally, they were consequences
of early design choices.

But "begin an OS for grandma" was not a design goal, and it is not
something that is likely to come as a by-product of the original design
goals.

> Tell Linux.com to
>openly admit that Linux isn't for desktop use, never has, and never will be,
>and I swear I'll stop posting to ANY Linux newsgroup.

Why is the burden of proof upon me ? Can you find a place where linux.com
recommends Linux to the average home user ? linux.com is a website for
people who already use Linux. It doesn't include much in the way of
information for those who don't use Linux already.

I'm having a hard time finding places where LInux is being pushed as a
drop-in WIndows replacement. I certainyl don't see that on Linux.com

>Finally, there seem to be more "blind men" in the Linux community than
>seeing ones, because I've seen KDE be praised as everything from "the end to
>all things Microsoft" to "the worst thing to hit Linux since Windows users".

That doesn't imply that there's more blind men than seeing ones. It implies
that there are more noisy blind men than noisy seeing ones. Which should
come as no surprise.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Predictions
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:25:30 -0500

Conrad Rutherford wrote:

> "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:935kn8$8lg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snip crap>
>
> > I'm all for successful "capitalism."  Just not organized crime.
> >
> > Most grown-ups do know the difference between the two.
>
> And as a grown-up I recognize that what MS does is not even remotely a
> crime, let alone an organized one.

That's something a child would say.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 08:28:31 GMT

"*" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>
> > All of a sudden,
> > lots of Windows users jump on the bandwagon and say "I want to make
> > Linux an OS my grandma can use", but they don't realise that it
> > just wasn't designed for that
>
> sooo.. erm. what was linux designed for?

An open-source Unix clone aiming for Minix compliance.
Grandmother unfriendly.

> and just to correct, as i see it, it isn't the windows users jumping on
the
> bandwagon - and that's quite a strong term for linux - as it is the
> so-called linux advocates trying to force it down our throats.

Keeping a closed mouth is a sure way to keep a throat obstruction-free.

> then, through clenched teeth, we say -why do we want this when what we
have
> works so much better for us?

Then go to the Microsoft advocacy groups and extoll its' virtues there.
If you want to argue and tweak noses, hang around here.
Simple, really.

> to which the linux advos say -what? you are just too stupid for linux that
> is all.

They're called flame-wars and they can be quite fun if your skin isn't too
thin.

Another thing, those kinds of comments generally are made after an insult or
obvious troll was issued by the recipient. There are some lurking here that
are of an evangelical bent that will attack first. You get that anywhere,
though.

An earnestly asked question will be responded to in kind most of the time.

Is it possible that you're taking this conference a bit too seriously?

--
Tom Wilson
Sunbelt Software Solutions

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:31:49 -0500

Conrad Rutherford wrote:

> "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:935kn8$8lg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snip crap>
>
> > I'm all for successful "capitalism."  Just not organized crime.
> >
> > Most grown-ups do know the difference between the two.
>
> And as a grown-up I recognize that what MS does is not even remotely a
> crime, let alone an organized one. They are a successful company and a huge
> one at that - how else would you expect the largest software company to act
> and be reacted to by the smaller companies and wannabe's? Let MS fall, fine.
> Now let Oracle step up - do you expect anything different? Do you think if
> MS fell and RedHat became the next biggest software company in the world
> (divine intervention assuming) - would they do anything differnt? Hell no,
> they are in it for the money. Period.

The point is for NO one company to have absolute fucking market
domination, you idiotic fucking brainless shithead.

Do you think that consumers would "benefit" if GM controlled
98% of the automobile market, and constantly changed fuel
specifications, AND used extortion tactics against any and
all gas-stations which refused to play along with "fuel upgrades"
on cue, thereby making millions of automobiles obsolete every
couple of years when fuel and lubricants that meet the specs
are suddenly unavailable...

Or, in such a scenario would you say that GM is abusing it's monopoly power.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:32:46 -0500

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

> Conrad Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> : "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> : news:935kn8$8lg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> : <snip crap>
>
> : > I'm all for successful "capitalism."  Just not organized crime.
> : >
> : > Most grown-ups do know the difference between the two.
>
> : And as a grown-up I recognize that what MS does is not even remotely a
> : crime, let alone an organized one. They are a successful company and a huge
> : one at that - how else would you expect the largest software company to act
> : and be reacted to by the smaller companies and wannabe's? Let MS fall, fine.
> : Now let Oracle step up - do you expect anything different? Do you think if
>
> The sad thing is, they actually do expect another company
> would be different.

You brainless shithead.  The whole idea is to promote competition,
so that NO company has a monopoly.

> --
> .-----.  "I'm going to get a new job. I'm going to mow lawns. And when
> |[ ]  |   somebody asks me what I do for a living, I will tell them,
> | =  :|   'I mow lawns.' And whatever question might follow, the answer
> | BSD |   will most likely be `Yes,' `No,' or `I mow lawns.' And nobody
> |_..._|   will ever call me at 3:30am with a lawnmowing emergency."
>                                          -- hymie in ASR

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Predictions (featuring Drestin Black)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:34:17 -0500

Conrad Rutherford wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jan Johanson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Arthur Frain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > before
> > > seriously
> > > fully

> > > Actually if you guys looked back you'd see that he purchased (if he
> really
> > > did) the stock at 10 points under where it topped out. What is not to
> say he
> >
> > but at what price?
> >
> > a 10-point move up from $5 is a 200% profit.
> > a 10-point move up from $100 is only 10%.
>
> So...

Let me spell it out for you, oh brainless little shithead dolt:

a $100 investment at 200% profit = $200 profit.
a $100 investment at 10% profit = $10 profit.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.