From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Advocacy?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 04:00:08 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Andres Soolo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:93dofj$q73$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Form@C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Certainly within the home and small business sector "user applications"
> are
> > > installed and run on the desktop machines, although their data may be
> > Why certainly?
> >
> > > stored on a server. Some packages, particularly in the CAD field, cannot
> > > easily be run on a server in any case (the program segments may be
> stored
> > > on it though so that they are run *from* the server rather than *on* it)
> > > because they often require direct hardware access to operate. Games,
> > Ugh ...
> > Why would CAD software need direct hardware access?
>
> If the OS it runs on doesn't have a good Hardware Abstraction Layer,  API
> calls will be so slow as to be useless. Particularly if you're doing any 3D
> rendering. Direct access is generally the best way to go if you want
> anything beyond mediocre performance.

Translation: if its a dain-bramaged OS like Windows, running CAD software
on a server is very very difficult.

Other OS'es, though, do it with little difficulty.

> --
> Tom Wilson
> Sunbelt Software Solutions

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 04:04:00 -0500

Bones wrote:

> >> Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> Don't be quite so cynical even if it comes naturally from prior
> >> experience with MS products.  Win2k really does have some of
> >> the long-missing command line functionality filled in but for some
> >> reason nobody knows anything about it.
>
> Even if you're UNIX hardcore, you could just run Bash under NT, as well as a
> host of UNIX-like CLI utilties that work with it.

Doesn't work nearly as well.

> ----
> Bones
> (selects non-crossposting option)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 04:05:51 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Tom Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> message

> and
> > > COBOL.

> teach
> > > it.
> have
> implementation
> > > is

> > > teaching
> > > real

> > > MODULE HELLOWORLD;
> > > FROM InOut IMPORT WriteLn,WriteString,WriteInt;
> > > VAR
> > >     SomeInt:INTEGER;
> > > BEGIN
> > >     SomeInt:=5;
> > >     WriteLn;
> > >     WriteString("Hello World");
> > >     WriteLn;
> > >     WriteString("Each scalar type such as this int,");
> > >     WriteInt(SomeInt,1);
> > >     WriteString(", has its' own damned output function!");
> > >     WriteLn;
> > >     WriteString("Is this strong typing not anal-retentive???");
> > >     WriteLn;
> > >     WriteString("Also take note that each of these damned functions ");
> > >     WriteString("needed to be specifically imported by name...");
> > >     WriteLn;
> > >     WriteString("There are hundreds of functions among scores");
> > >     WriteString(" of different libraries...");
> > >     WriteLn;
> > >     WriteString("You spend more time looking them up than you");
> > >     WriteString(" do programming...");
> > >     WriteLn;
> > > END HELLOWORLD.
> > >
> > > Does this answer your question?
> >

> > Wow...I didn't think it was even possible to make the handcuffs
> > any tighter than pascal's...
>
> Borland's PASCAL implementations were a great deal more powerful and less
> restrictive then ANSI PASCAL.

Corollary:
Any functional version of Pascal is, by definition, non-standard.

>                                 You could, honestly, do almost anything with
> it that you could with C. Especially where low-level programming was
> concerned. I actually managed to write a device driver for an old tape
> backup with it. Excellent in-line assembler support. Also, with BP7, you had
> the option to write DPMI programs. You were still limited to a static 64K
> data segment but, using pointers, you could use up to 16MB of RAM. If you
> were clever enough, you learned to swap portions of the data segment out to
> a RAM cache. Tricky, but workable.
>
> --
> Tom Wilson
> Sunbelt Software Solutions

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft tentacles squirm deeper into software hosting
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 04:18:23 -0500

Matt Soltysiak wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > This in itself could be disastrous for MS, as their employees start to
> > > lose confidence in their (for lack of a better term) leadership, and
> demand
> > > to be paid in real money
> > > instead of worthless pyramid-scheme stock certificates. It has been
> claimed
> > > that
> > > having to pay competitive salaries to its workforce would quickly put MS
> > > into
> > > the loss column, leading to a downward spiral of decreasing stock value
> and
> > > increasing personnel costs.
> > >
> > > But more worrisome could be the reason that the stock is falling.
> > > Apparently, no one is
> > > buying the new versions of MS software, especially Win2K. They just
> don't
> > > seem to have enough new functionality to justify the purchase price.
> > >
> > > MS may not  merely be switching to software leasing to increase profits,
> > > they
> > > could be driven to this move as a survival measure. Now that there are
> no
> > > more
> > > competitors to copy "innovations" from, some might claim that the
> > > incomptetence
> > > of MS management in the area of true creativity is finally showing
> through.
> > > Unable
> > > to create new value to customers, they could have to resort to forcing
> > > customers
> > > to repeatedly pay for the same software over-and-over again.
> > >
> > > And worse for MS, they lack the leverage they once had. Now that the new
> > > versions of MS software are no longer "must-buys", the seeming ability
> of MS
> > > to extort
> > > perpetual revenue out of users may be coming to a close.
> > >
> > > Some who dislike MS software are actively hoping that MS will resort to
> > > software leasing.
> > > The confusion that MS seems to have in discerning the difference between
> > > what is
> > > good for customers from what is good for MS seems to be leading them to
> saw
> > > off the branch
> > > they are standing on... creating a value equation so bad that even
> reluctant
> > > users will be
> > > starting to explore Linux as a cost saving measure....
> >
> > All that's needed is for a couple of large corporations to put Linux
> > on the Desktop...and...MS will die (or a stockholder revolt will oust
> > Gates and his cronies).
> >
> > My bet is that IBM will be the first major corporation to put Linux on
> > the desktop.
> >
> > 1) They already have their own in-house Linux help-desk.
> > 2) Revenge for the OS/2 backstab.
> >

> Why do people dream?  MS won't be going anywhere for a long time.  Linux, as
> much as i like it, won't be accepted as mainstream desktop anytime soon.

Once the auto companies adopt it......it will be over for Microsoft.

the automakers already use Unix as the desktop OS for ALL of their
designers, engineers, etc.  The only people who use Windows are
the "paper pushers".

If Linux provides them a way of standardizing the ENTIRE corporation
on one desktop...and simultaneously, slashing the size of the support
staff needed for the paper-pushing (currently windows-using) users
back to Unix-sized proportions,...then that's what will happen.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is not UNIX(tm)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 04:20:56 -0500

J Sloan wrote:

> Mart van deWege wrote:
>
> > FYI, I haven't got the link handy, but it should be on the web
> > somewhere. Building a fully functional UNIX clone out of Minix
> > was *exactly* what Linus set out to do.
>
> He was inspired by Minix, and wanted to do something similar,
> but the design of Linux was radically different. For a short time
> Linux made use of the Minix file system, but rapidly outgrew
> those training wheels and discarded them.
>
> Technically, Linus used "The design of the Unix Operating
> System" by Maurice J Bach for his direction on Linux.
>
> BTW the debate between Linus and Dr Tannenbaum, the author
> of Minix, was famous - let's just say that the design philosophies
> of Linux and Minix had deep and irreconcilable differences.
>
> At the risk of pointing out the obvious, time has proved Linus correct -

Which probably frosts Tannenbaum to no end...

> jjs

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 04:21:52 -0500

tony roth wrote:

> Peter,
>     Our average server here contains over a terrabyte of info, the average
> file size is 1+gigs thats right gigs not megs and in three years not one
> server has bsod nor gone to 100% utilization without due cause.  We have
> over 2k+ workstations and once again no bsods and no 100% utilization
> problems.

All That, and the hardware support staff has a fleet of flying carpets.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 09:39:35 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) writes:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> How about no sound out of the digital port on the SBLive card?

> The driver doesnt support it.  Look for an update in the coming weeks.

I've been running SB Live digital out for a few months now.  I've no
idea what driver Mandrake uses, but if it's a module, you should be
able to download a new driver from Creative's web pages, and install
it instead.

-kzm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mitch)
Subject: Re: Why does Win2k always fail in running time?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 09:38:40 GMT

On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 05:53:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>I suppose the Games department is the only thing Linux is truthfully
>lagging behind in when it comes to competion with Windows.

Audio applications - specifically audio/midi sequencing.  Unless
somebody can prove me wrong, in which case I`ll gladly re-install
linux on my system.

--
Smileys are nothing but conceptual wheelchair ramps for the humor impaired.
 - Geoff Miller

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:39:07 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> J Sloan wrote:
>
> > At the risk of pointing out the obvious, time has proved Linus correct -
>
> Which probably frosts Tannenbaum to no end...

I'd like to see someone interview him, and slip in a "What do you think about
Linux?" question.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas