From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why "uptime" is important.
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:13:10 GMT

Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 22 Jan 2001
>On 22 Jan 2001 08:40:09 GMT, "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>In the case of Web design, there is no reason why even a nontechnical
>>user can't use a text editor in one window and a browser open to the
>>same file in another, make changes in one window, and preview them in
>>the other.  There's no reason he or she can't or shouldn't learn to
>
>This one sentence probably more than anything indicates why Linux will
>never make it on the desktop - at least if this attitude prevails.

I don't get it.  Can you think of a reason?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Windows Has Lost
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:13:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Craig Kelley wrote:
>Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>> > It isn't a PC, it's a game console that runs Internet Explorer,
>> > Microsoft Office, USB devices and everything else that Windows already
>> > does.  They seem to have pulled the proverbial wool over other ia32
>> > manufacturers; at least we haven't heard a peep form that camp yet.
>> > Microsoft hopes to supplant the entire PC market with the X-Box
>> > eventually.  If they do it with quiet aplomb, their "strategic
>> > partners" may never notice the knives in their backs until it is too
>> > late.  High-definition TVs with a "game console" sporting FireWire,
>> > USB and such, it's not very difficult to see this happening.
>>
>> Dont forget that the vast majority of computer users DO NOT NEED a pc. They
>> need a device to surf the web, read and send mail, play games and watch
>> movies. Im not sure that MS is so wrong in going with X-Box - they simply
>> have to compete in another field... and when its not computers (think AOL)
>> they are not very good at it. Besides they face fierce competion from Linux
>> (what about the BSD's?) on these devices
>
>I predict that Microsoft will make it as difficult as possible to use
>anything other than Windows on the X-Box.  Using something like a
>hardware challenge/response would work for quite a while -- You're
>right that mose poeple do not need a PC, and that's what Microsoft is
>banking on happening.  As PC sales go down, they hope the X-Box will
>take up the slack.
>
>> > Either way, the Windows as we know it is losing and will lose the war.
>> > Whether Microsoft can re-structure it's revenue streams is still a
>> > matter to be resolved.  Once Windows is gone, Windows technologies
>> > won't be far behind.  Microsoft Office can last longer, but not much
>> > longer.  We may be looking 10 to 20 years down the road from here, but
>> > I suspect it'll happen sooner than we think.
>>
>> But will Linux on the PC gain that market or will it just shift towards
>> devices instead of PC's?
>
>They only way they'll be able to keep linux outside will be through
>DMCA/legal challenges.
>
>--
>The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
>Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block

I like the title "X box".

Well, so much for all those GUI VS X CLI discussions.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows curses fast computers
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:20:17 -0500

spicerun wrote:

> Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
> > spicerun wrote:
> >
> >> I suspect, in his case, he wasn't an Electronics Engineer long enough to
> >> really understand devices (and got very frustrated)
> >> ....in fact, that's probably the reason he switched to Software, so that
> >> he wouldn't have to understand Hardware.
> >

> > Naaah.
> >
> > I did design and build my own 6809 machine, write my own bios, create a 64k
> > dynamic RAM board and it worked first time, put together a floppy disk
> > controller (hardware and software)...
>
> Why would someone write a bios for a 6809 Machine?  Apple didn't even
> have a bios per se on their 6502 machines.....
> They did however have firmware and some embedded routines and drivers
> (never guaranteed to be resident at the same
> location) running on their machine, but they never made those routines
> (at least intentionally) accessible as would be seen
> in a 'bios'.  In fact, on Apple's old machines, drivers weren't in their
> OS until you plugged in the interface card to the
> peripheral (ie - driver was on a rom on the card).
>
> I get the distinct feeling that what you are calling a bios is really
> boot code and embedded drivers.  It isn't the same
> thing.

Now why would you say that? A BIOS is a very common thing, almost every
computer has one. Whether or not the resulting operating system wants to use
the BIOS is up to the operating system.

Apple ][ did indeed have a bios, as does the Mac.  It is virtually impossible
to boot a computer without a BIOS. Are they P.C compatible? No, but that isn't
the issue. They are still a BIOS.

Boot code and embedded drivers sounds like exactly what a BIOS is.

> What has gotten you into the mode of thinking only in bioses and only
> the Microsoft way (Especially if you were building
> your own Motorola-type platform machines that have no similiarities with
> the intel-type platforms)?  I gotta tell you,
> it makes you look really bad as a microprocessor hardware/software
> person, and, reflects badly on other engineers who also
> build their own processor hardware and write the firmware for them.

I have no idea of what you are trying to say here. My CP/M machine had a BIOS,
as did my 1802 ELF micro, what does this have to do with Microsoft?

> Just for your Info...before you start flaming....I'm one of those guys
> that make a living designing Microprocessor systems, building,
> troubleshooting, and writing the firmware for them...and, depending on
> the customer, either make a proprietary OS or use an available
> OS specified by the customer.  I've designed 6502, 8086, 68020, and 604e
> PowerPC Systems, and wrote the firmware for them.
> I think mlw has done all of this too.

I haven't designed a 68K or PowerPC board, but have written some software.

I think there is a misunderstanding, perhaps simple nomenclature. A BIOS and a
monitor are very similar. A BIOS performs basic boot services, system
initialization, and provides a rudimentary hardware abstraction for what ever
software gets control of the system. A monitor, usually does boot services,
system initialization, and dumps you into an interactive system which allows
you to control further operation, a monitor ROM may also provides rudimentary
hardware abstraction.

There is a lot of blurring. A monitor program which will automatically loads an
OS off disk could be considered a BIOS. A BIOS which provides interactive
control over the system startup may be considered a monitor.

The IBM BIOS was a good design for the limitations of the original 8088
systems. Today, it seems like some darwin-esque obsolete tail.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: The Noatec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I am preparing to teach a Linux class and I am soliciting advice
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:29:32 -0600

Jeff,
I didn't read all the replies so this may be re-write.
TCP/IP basics would go hand in hand with a good Linux class.
Addressing, telnet, ftp, rlogin and the like.
Good luck.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie Journal
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:22:04 GMT

Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 21 Jan
>Dear Fierce and Friendly Folks,
>
>       After months of tinkering around with Linux I am putting it work in the
>ordinary world. I believe very strongly in in some of the values of the
>open-source community such as freely sharing knowledge, helping others,
>and feeling passionate about excellent software.
>       I am not a programmer, system administrator or any other technical
>type. I work as a registered nurse and have started back to school at
>University of New Mexico to get my BSN.
>       The purpose of this journal is to give back to the open source
>community the only thing that I have that might be of value. That is my
>experience using Linux and other related software in the ordinary,
>K-mart world. Hopefully, these stories may help someone else make the
>decision to try Linux.
>
>       My computing needs are as follows:
>
>       Compose and print a simple weekly neighborhood newsletter
>       Keep accounts of my savings, checking and other assets
>       Simple bookeeping for a small home-based business
>       Web access to my online nursing research course
>       Compose and read documents for above course (MS Office)
>       General web-surfing
>
>       My computing wants include:
>
>       Playing a few games
>       Getting my scanner working and learning GIMP (image processing)
>       Setting up a simple home network
>
>       My assets include:
>
>       AT clone with FIC 503 board, 500 MHz AMD-K6, 128 megs ram
>       Redhat 6.2 with included KDE GUI
>       Word Perfect 8.0, StarOffice 5.2
>       "Running Linux" by Welsh from www.oreilly.com
>
>       And my most important asset of all is "Fred". Fred is my friend of over
>14 years and he is my Linux guru. His day job is as the technical end of
>a two-person Linux division of a networking compamy here in Albuqerque.
>They put together sophisticated Linux systems, RAID arrays and other
>toys for Sandia and Los Alamos labs. My first recomendation is to go and
>find a "Fred". Your "Fred" will be invaluable beyond belief if you are
>coming from a Windows environment. You can find a "Fred" at a local
>Linux Users Group (LUG) in your area.
>
>Hopefully this journal  will be published 2 or 3 times per month as time
>permits.
>
>                                       Gene Kimzey

I am going to be implementing a Linux desktop over the next few months
as well, Gene.  I look forward to comparing experiences, though I do
have a bit more experience, and am my own "Fred".

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OpenSource Question
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:30:34 GMT

Said Adam Warner in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 22 Jan 2001 05:16:26
>Hi Mark,
>
>(I apologise if this post arrives twice. ISP newsserver issues)
>
><snip>
>> Instead, we would build this custom product fully intending to release it
>> as OpenSource, however we would release it to the community only after
>> that product had reached a basic but significant level of functionality
>and,
>> most importantly, when my company has been firmly established such that
>> possesion of this product by competing companies would not introduce a
>> significant threat to the well being of our company.
>
>You are entitled to do so. If you are building the product upon GNU software
>you will have to abide by the GNU licensing restrictions. The point where
>you want to distribute the program is the point where you must make the
>source available to anyone you distribute the program to.
>
>See the GNU GPL:
>http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
>
>The preamble puts it quite succinctly:

"For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis
or
>for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. You
>must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you
>must show them these terms so they know their rights."
>
>If you see here:
>http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html
>
>You will see how Richard Stallman disliked the original Apple Public Source
>License because you couldn't do this, and how it was incompatible with the
>GPL:
>
>"Disrespect for privacy
>
>The APSL does not allow you to make a modified version and use it for your
>own private purposes, without publishing your changes."
>

>> Would this be a bad way of doing OpenSource development, counter to the
>> intentions of OpenSource?
>
>I don't think it is open source development. It is in-house development
>built upon open source software. If you later decide to distribute your
>efforts then everyone will look forward to the source.

I'm going to try to build a private implementation of OpenNMS.  It will
be used to monitor a network internally, and so I expect all of the
code, most particularly any changes we may have made, to remain entirely
and completely confidential; a trade secret.  Some day, I hope, my
company might release some of our modifications, entirely as a
prestige-builder.  Some modifications will continue to remain secret,
most probably, as they would give our competitors an unfair advantage if
they became known.  I don't anticipate there to be any conflicts at all
with this and the GPL.  The key is, we're not going to be in the
business of providing OpenNMS to anybody else.  Since the only time we
would be distributing this software would be if we want to publish our
enhancements, its simply not going to be an issue.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Games? Who cares about games?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:39:05 GMT

Said Donn Miller in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 22 Jan 2001 00:15:17
>mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I don't know anyone that really plays games on their computers. is that out of
>> the ordinary? When people mention games as an issue, I often wonder why.
>
>> I have a Nintendo for games, why would I waste a computer on games?

One word: keyboard.

Plus, the graphics tend to be better programmed, even if they aren't
necessarily better rendered.

>My view on games for Linux is:  don't spend too much worrying about them.

Overcoming the application barrier called DirectX is one of the most
important hurdles for removing the Windows monopoly.  Whether you do it
or not, a large number of people use their computers to run games.  It
drives a rich, if not huge, segment of the market, and essentially maps
out the 'cutting edge' of PC technology, as well.

>But
>it's a good exercise in general, because the principles in creating games may
>be applied to create useful software, like graphics and visualization
>software.  Just don't spend too much time worrying about them.

Unless you play them.  I worry.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:44:09 GMT

Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 22 Jan
2001 23:33:08 -0000;
>On 22 Jan 2001 16:32:28 -0500, Greg Yantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

>>>     When's the last time you saw a computer capable of playing
>>>     current games onsale for $100, or even $300?
>>
>>For me the question is "when was the last time you saw a computer
>>capable of playing the kind of games you like to play onsale for
>>$100, or even $300?"
>
>       Are we talking current games or just bargain bin stuff?
>
>       Even a relatively simple 2D RTS can bring older PC's to
>       their knees. If it's not the rendering, then it's the AI
>       & if it's not that then it's pushing the game itself too
>       hard on upper levels.
>

>>Some people play games on their PC because the games they enjoy
>>tend to be PC games. Consoles don't do IP networking very well...
>
>       Consoles do IP networking just fine.
>
>       Infact, several older console based micros were doing
>       multuser gaming long before it became trendy. Consoles
>       merely haven't BOTHERED to support networking for the
>       most part.

Come back to earth, jedi.  We miss you.

   [...]
>>Why are you arguing over a matter of personal preference?
>
>       Spending $2000 or more for a grossly inefficient games console
>       should be considered in it's full context.

You don't understand: we already have, and use, the PC.  PLUS, the games
are better, and often the graphics are better, as well.  Why would we
spend an extra $100 for a console?  There is literally no reason to; I'd
rather spend $140 on a Pro Flightstick.  ;-)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:45:12 GMT

Said Bruce Scott TOK in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 22 Jan 2001 14:59:31
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>mlw  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I don't know anyone that really plays games on their computers. is that out of
>>the ordinary? When people mention games as an issue, I often wonder why.
>>
>>I have a Nintendo for games, why would I waste a computer on games?
>
>I don't play any serious games on computers... no staying power :-)
>
>I play things like Asteroids, Mahjongg and Shisen-Sho under Linux (they
>are KDE programs but well enough written to function properly under
>fvwm2).
>
>I might play real wargames if any became available, but I have never
>seen a computer wargame anywhere nearly as good as the board games from
>wargaming's heyday in the late 1970s.

Alpha Centauri.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Loki has trouble playiong their own games under Linux!!!!!
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:48:41 GMT

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:26:06 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>It's not only viable but in the Marketplace it's kicking Windows
>ass everywhere.   This accounts for the extremely slow sales of
>W2k.

Show me proof where it is doing what you say on the desktop.

>According to the flatbrain, he's invested in Microsoft heavily and
>doesn't want to see his retirement go down the tubes.

If you actually read what get's posted here instead of making it up as
you go along, you would know I have gone on record many times as
saying I don't own any stocks MSFT of otherwise. Dumped them all.

>No.  He's correctly determined that Linux is a serious threat to
>his retirement plan so he's decided to attack Linux and attempt
>to defame it so that he can preserve his retirement income.

See above.
Linux speaks for itself.

>This is kind of like those commercials where dad gives his 12 year
>old son a copy of the Classifieds and announces to his son that
>it's time he goes to work as his mom and him are about to retire.

Your medication is starting to wear off Charlie.

>It's difficult to accept being sent to a soup kitchen but, hey,,,
>there are winners and loosers everyday and Flatbrain is definitely
>a looser.  He's a winmodem of a person.

And your the person who buys one.
 A Winmodem that is :(

>Charlie

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:50:13 GMT

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:33:59 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>I use a product because it works for me, not because of some mission.
>
>If you repeat that often enough, maybe it will magically be true, eh?

It's true.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:51:27 GMT

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:19:16 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>Now, go into your closet and get your handgun out and put it to the roof
>of your mouth and end your life for us.

I told you to take your medication Charlie because you know what
happens when you forget.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:52:35 GMT

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:20:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>This is but another example of a typical Window users day.

It certainly is Charlie.

See how much better things are when you take your medication Charlie?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: So much for Linux being more Difficult than Windows
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:57:34 GMT

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:14:00 +0500, "Gary Hallock"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Sure, after waiting a few days for the CD to be shipped in the mail.
>You totally missed the point.
>
>Gary

No YOU missed the point Gary.
Earthlink provides software on the CD that he can't use because it
doesn't run under Linux. It's more for a family, or newbie, but it is
useful none the less. Oh yea it also includes the latest version of IE
5.5 a quality browser instead of that piece of trash Netscape.
And BTW the Windows user can connect just as easily by calling them,
and guess what it takes about 10 minutes because the person on the
other end of the phone will know exactly how to assist you in setting
up your system.
Most of his hour was probably spent waiting for Earthlink to find the
one person in the support department who knows anything about Linsux.

So it is YOU who, once again miss the picture.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Johnson)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:43:06 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (T. Max Devlin) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[...snip...]

>I'm going to try to build a private implementation of OpenNMS.  It will
>be used to monitor a network internally, and so I expect all of the
>code, most particularly any changes we may have made, to remain entirely
>and completely confidential; a trade secret.  Some day, I hope, my
>company might release some of our modifications, entirely as a
>prestige-builder.  Some modifications will continue to remain secret,
>most probably, as they would give our competitors an unfair advantage if
>they became known.  I don't anticipate there to be any conflicts at all
>with this and the GPL.  The key is, we're not going to be in the
>business of providing OpenNMS to anybody else.  Since the only time we
>would be distributing this software would be if we want to publish our
>enhancements, its simply not going to be an issue.

Interesting, my company is building something similar too for internal use
only but from the ground up that runs on both Linux and Solaris.  It is
also my secret hope that we will release portions, if not at least the C++
SDK we are developing, as open source.

I have been urging my superiors to consider contracting some open source
programmers to help us build a piece of it that some other folks want to
spend many millions of dollars on an off-the-shelf product that sort of
meets our needs.  I think the money is better spent on a custom product
that could potentially be forever enhanced by the public at large than to
buy a closed system...

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 03:03:30 GMT

Said FranckA in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:06:23
>First and foremost, teach them how to INSTALL linux in both GUI and
>text mode.

Least and last, teach them how to install.

>Teach them about Partitioning and using fdisk, fips etc.....

Next to last.

>Teach them about the different X window managers and how to install and
>load them during bootup.

How to run them after bootup.

>TEACH THEM ABOUT LILO !!! and especially about the 1024 cylinder limit
>
>Teach them how to use BOTH emacs and vi, but also show them the GUI
>options.
>
>Show them how to connect to the Internet using ppp. This will most
>definately be one of the questions they will ask. Show them how in both
>KDE and Gnome, and also netcfg....
>
>Show them that they can use other Office products instead of MS Office,
>Show them Star Office, Abi-word (suite), K-Office etc

BTW, does anyone know of a good "regular old high end" free
wordprocessor?  I don't want a suite; just a wordprocessor!

>Hope this helps you a little

Well, I agree about the ppp.