From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 07:14:24 GMT

Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 05 Feb
>On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 21:34:00 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
   [...]
>>>     IT'S THEIR JOB TO BE IN CONTROL.
>>
>>They were.  From all I've seen, its most likely the religious nuts
>>torched their own compound.
>
>       CS cannisters that are a fire hazzard certainly don't hurt
>       either.
>
>       If it weren't a government agency engaging in that sort of
>       behaivor, the perpetrators would have been held liable for
>       the fire damages.

Oh, for god's sake.  Because something, ANYTHING, the ATF had was
flammable, the fact that the Branch Davidians torched their own compound
is somehow a "get out of jail free" card?

No, I think it more likely that if you didn't have that polemic, there'd
be some other reason to insist it was the government that acted
improperly, regardless of who might have acted unwisely.

>>>     They let things get out of control, therefore they failed.
>>
>>They waited patiently for WEEKS!!!  While the religious nuts held their
>>own children hostage!
>
>       Actually, they antagonized the seiged compound for weeks. They
>       also sent the Davidians remarkably mixed messages with some
>       feds acting conciliatory and others being inflammatory.

The only message that was an issue was "I surrender", uttered by the guy
who thought he was Jesus Christ himself.

>       Either way, the Davidians posed no threat to the public as they
>       were being besieged. There was no compelling public interest to
>       forcing an end to the situation.

I am of the opinion, frankly, that providing an exception to the law for
someone who manages to hole themselves up with innocent children is both
unwarranted and dangerous.  When the federal marshals come to get you,
you go with them; they don't say, "OK, we'll come back later, since you
think you're Jesus and all."

>       The only damage being done was to the reputation of federal
>       law enforcement agencies. That reputation is not more valuable
>       than innocent bystanders.

Sorry; the law isn't a matter of pride.  It is a matter of civil order,
despite your media-inspired charges of macho swaggering.

>>>     The cops that beat up King are guilty of the same sort of
>>>     professional malpractice. Innocents DIED because of their
>>>     machismo and incompetence.
>>
>>Or because of religious zealotry?  Which seems more likely, and which
>>seems more media hype?  Ever heard of a guy called Occam?
>
>       Occam's razor supports my position better than it does yours
>       actually. Police are the essence of Zealotry. They make any
>       of us Zealots here look positively sensible by comparison.

Oh, yea, that's reasonable.  Occam would be proud.

>>>     They blundered strategically and tactically. This should
>>>     be apparent even if you view Koresh as the anti-christ.
>>
>>I view him as just yet another nut/flake.  And a potentially dangerous
>
>       So? That doesn't excuse a bunch of FBI rejects for trying
>       to immitate the Untouchables. If they really wanted Koresh,
>       it simply wasn't necessary. Even if they wanted the entire
>       cabal, divide and conquer still makes remarkably more sense
>       strategically.
>
>       That option was open to them.

While I can understand the impulse, I don't think it makes a lot of
sense to take your opinion over the professionals involved.

Its the same old story, I tell you; Koresh had the option to not murder
his followers and their children and surrender, at any time.

   [...]
>>"Essentially a monastery"?  I believe I have heard relatively reliable
>>reports that Mr. Koresh thought himself to be Jesus, and was screwing
>>girls in the compound as young as 13 years of age.  Sounds like another
>>nut/flake.
>
>       One man's flake is another man's pope.

Flakes, popes, whatever.  They're not above the law.

>[deletia]
>
>       Consider that the next time you see someone indulging
>       in ceremonial canabalism.

Wha?

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 7 Feb 2001 07:13:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Steve Mading wrote:
:>
:> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>
:> : "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
:> : news:95fl3c$dju$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> :> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Dan Mercer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> :> : Could you please take this conversation private or at least to
:> :> : a more appropriate newsgroup.  While I believe God advocates Linux
:> :> : (Bill Gates being the antiChrist)
:> : comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
:> :> : are not appropriate forums for this discussion.
:> :>
:> :> When insults are made in public, the responses must be equally public.
:>
:> : Must the responses be made ad nauseum, though?
:>
:> : This sort of debate has been going on for as long as humanity and it sure
:> : as hell isn't going to be solved in COLA...We can't even agree on something
:> : so simple as a distro around here!
:>
:> This is not an argument over whether or not atheists are correct.
:> It is an argument over who the label "atheist" applies to.  Aaron
:> is picking a definition that atheists themselves don't agree with,
:> and then using that definition to make claims about what atheists
:> believe.  That's a classic strawman fallacy.

: If you were born of Korean parents in Korea, calling yourself
: Mexican doesn't change the facts....no matter how much you
: disagree with the definitions of "Mexican" and "Korean"

True.  That has no bearing here, where you are using incorrect
definitions (hint, no other dictionary agrees with Websters
on this).  Regardless of the definition being used, to apply
a belief to a group of people who don't hold it is a strawman.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 7 Feb 2001 07:11:35 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
:>In comp.os.linux.misc Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>> Then there was the "agnostic dyslexic insomniac" who used to lay awake
:>> all night wonding if there really was a dog.
:>
:>Nice attempt to end a thread by darwinizing it.
:>

: Not really. Just a lost attempt at levity. :-)

For something to be funny, it has to have not been repeated a
zillion times.  The dislexic agnostic god/dog thing is a dead
horse.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:18:15 +0200

"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:95pkra$a16$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Daza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Telnet anyone?  Remote cmd.exe?
>
> That would only be relevant if Windows had more of its core
> functionality available in a CLI version like UNIX does.

No, it doesn't.
We aren't talking abut what you can do with this, we are talking if you can
do this.
This being multi user login

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: 7 Feb 2001 07:36:56 GMT

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 05 Feb
:>On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 21:34:00 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:    [...]
:>>>    IT'S THEIR JOB TO BE IN CONTROL.
:>>
:>>They were.  From all I've seen, its most likely the religious nuts
:>>torched their own compound.
:>
:>      CS cannisters that are a fire hazzard certainly don't hurt
:>      either.
:>
:>      If it weren't a government agency engaging in that sort of
:>      behaivor, the perpetrators would have been held liable for
:>      the fire damages.

: Oh, for god's sake.  Because something, ANYTHING, the ATF had was
: flammable, the fact that the Branch Davidians torched their own compound
: is somehow a "get out of jail free" card?

: No, I think it more likely that if you didn't have that polemic, there'd
: be some other reason to insist it was the government that acted
: improperly, regardless of who might have acted unwisely.

Has it occurred to any of the people in this argument that maybe,
just maybe, it's possible that *both* the Davidians and the ATF
were guilty, and that neither side was in "the right"?  Perhaps
the madman *did* torch his own followers out of some demented
sense of religious martyrdom, but the ATF shouldn't have put him
under the siege in the first place.  There's nothing illegal about
being a moron who thinks he's some kind of god.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 7 Feb 2001 07:41:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Said Steve Mading in alt.destroy.microsoft on 5 Feb 2001 19:40:45 GMT;
:>[...]The opensource
:>community-provided driver model wouldn't work if we lived in a
:>world where there was not some big closed-source OS to drive
:>initial sales of the hardware when it comes out.

: Well, open source drivers normally lag the availability of hardware,
: yes, but this has nothing to do with use of that hardware on Linux.
: There's no law against using vendor-supplied drivers.  There has been an
: illegal effort by Microsoft to ensure that this doesn't happen, but that
: doesn't make your statement any less bogus.

:>If we'd like
:>to move to a world where Linux is commonplace, something has to be
:>done to make the drivers start getting developed *before* the
:>hardware is on the shelves.  I'm not sure how to do that without
:>just trusting the vendors to do it themselves.

: So?  There's no law against vendors not developing open source drivers,
: nor that they should.  They, and their customers, decide.  Which is what
: makes the GPL so damn anti-competitive: nobody who keeps their drivers
: closed could possibly compete with a company that supports or even
: provides open-source drivers.

: As for what "has to happen", the situation seems well in hand.  Even
: with the appeal dragging on, Linux is ready for the new 64 bit Intel
: chips ahead of the hardware, while Windows will lag by at least six
: months.

I was not considering the 'base' hardware like the CPU and motherboard.
I was thinking of cards plugged into the expansion bus, produced by
companies much smaller than Intel.  Things like sound cards, video
cards, and so on.  Granted, I didn't make this clear.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You're not just Whistler, XP!
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 02:53:33 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Tom Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > Come to think of it Whistler leaves this mental image of an old lady in a
> > > rocking chair...Not exactly high tech imagery.
>
> You're thinking of "Whistler's Motherboard."
>
> > ...or ... someone walking down the street late at night in an
> > unfamiliar neighborhood......alone......and scared.
>
> Whistling like Ichabod Crane?!

precisely.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would linux hackers like an OpenS windows?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 02:59:02 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <95pibo$fut$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Todd"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> They can't manage 20 lines without writing "goto" somewhere.
> >
> > If you've every programmed assembly language, you would know that goto
> > is the norm.
> >
> > -Todd
>
> But got may have noticed that in C, they aren't. That said, gotos do not
> preclude structured programming (read Structured programming with gotos,
> by D. E. Knuth).

Mostly aimed at languages like Fortran which has an incomplete
set of flow-control structures.

with the inclusion of break and the fact that a function can exit
at any time, the need for goto is exceedingly rare in C.

Certainly not 5% of the source code lines.

> -Ed
>
> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Windows will/is failing on the desktop
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 02:59:52 -0500

Nigel wrote:

> > Nothing you can say will alter the fact that Linux does indeed meet
> > the needs of many users (though not a majority, at present).
> > Meanwhile, if you want a games console or a glorified typewriter,
> > stick with Windows 9x.
> >

> Windows 95 as a typewriter sucks - how many typewriters have you used which
> regularly destroy the page being typed (app error / bluescreen) so you have
> to regularly make a backup piece of paper (save file) to avoid losing your
> work.

Windows sucks as a game platform, too.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.