Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:27:38 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Check your fans, especially your CPU fan.
>
> Replace as needed and/or install additional fans.

Someone was telling me about how CPU fans are supposed to last for years
and years and years.  I had to laugh at that.  Mine got all junked up
with dust after a while.  Even after I cleaned it, it was still making
some aweful howling/whining noises, like it was struggling to blow air.
I took the thing off, and lubed it with some WD40, and it seems to be
fine now.

That's ridiculous, about how CPU fans, like those Elan fans that came
with Socket 7 Pentium, are supposed to last for at least a decade.
Those things are just cheap plastic.  A lot of those things probably go
bad after about a year or so.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:27:23 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Mike Byrns wrote:

> > > I grow weary of having to ask over and over for a SOURCE for these fantastic
> > > numbers you linux folks seem to pull from thin air.
> >
> > Sorry to hear of your woes!
> >
> > Look into it if it's bothering you, and get it cleared up.
>
> The only information I saw in this regards was an ESTIMATE of the
> TOTAL size of the OSS COMMUNITY (not just Linux). And it was around
> 250k. However, there are about as many projects going on, so it
> averages to about 1.2 developers per projects. Which explains why
> nothing is getting done.

FALSE PREMISE.

*LOTS* is getting done... you just refuse to acknowledge it.

In fact...MacNeil-Schwindler Corp, the company that sells
NASTRAN ( *THE* Finite-element analysis tool) is hiring
people to set up Linux-clustered super-computers around
the country for their most demanding clients.

> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Whiners
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:33:22 -0500

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> It was the Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:36:16 -0500...
> > >
> > > Fortunately they're largely ignored or ridiculed. Most are breeding
> > > themselves out of existance by marrying first cousins. Kind of like the
> > > European Royal Families only they live in trailers and seldom bathe.
> >
> > Come to think of it...European Royal Families weren't known for
> > the best bathing habits, either.

My comment was supposed to be a joke...but, what the hell....I'll
play along..

> At the heyday of baroque absolutism, the nobility didn't bathe at all
> because it was supposed to be unhealthy. It's also noteworthy that

Well, without water treatment plants...they would be right.

> most trailers feature better sanitation that your typical 17th century
> castle.  Versailles, for example, had zero toilets, for lack of a moat
> <g>. The usual way of dealing with your bodily functions was just
> sitting down somewhere in a corner and letting the personnel take care
> of the residue.
>
> mawa
> --
> ZWEIUNDVIERZIG

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:35:02 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > It was the Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:36:16 -0500...

> >> Come to think of it...European Royal Families weren't known for
> >> the best bathing habits, either.
>
> > At the heyday of baroque absolutism, the nobility didn't bathe at all
> > because it was supposed to be unhealthy. It's also noteworthy that
> > most trailers feature better sanitation that your typical 17th century
> > castle. Versailles, for example, had zero toilets, for lack of a moat
> > <g>. The usual way of dealing with your bodily functions was just
> > sitting down somewhere in a corner and letting the personnel take care
> > of the residue.
>
> Not for the royal and rich, actually.  At versailles (as with almost every
> other really big house built all over the world in those days) there were
> indoor-ish facilities which amounted to a narrow room, usually on the outside
> wall, with a floor that didnt quite connect to said wall...leaving a slot
> a foot or two wide.  Piss and shit would fall down the slot and into the
> foundation of the building, to rot away into the ground naturally.  Chimenys
> were built into these rooms (the same kind of slot, only in the ceiling) to
> carry the odor away from the building.

And indoor out-house....

> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I will give MS credit for one thing
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:39:47 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : I am no MS advocate.  But, I will admit one thing:  Windows Media player is
> : much better than the video MPEG players I have used on Linux.  For video
> : MPEG, I usually use SMPEG w/ its plaympeg app to play videos.
>
> [snip]
> Microsoft is pretty good at making high-level applications.  The
> big problem is that they keep treating their OSes and their libraries
> like they were supposed to be high-level applications too.  They just
> don't get the idea of building in clearly defined layers that don't
> contaminate each other.

To me, this indicates that Gates has NEVER bothered to hire
and give even mediocre programmers decision-making authority.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:43:54 -0500

Tim Hanson wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tim Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:

> > > Ed??!? You use ed?  What a wimp!  Anything above DEBUG is a waste of
> > > resources.  It's a little hard to duplicate graphics in hex, though...
> > > :-)
> >
> > Pfeh! When I *really* want to get something done, I use cat.
> >
> > -ed
> >

> Sorry for the delay in responding.  One of the LEDs above my front panel
> switches is acting up.  I get distracted and lose my place in the file.

What really sucks is when one of the patch-cords on the front panel
gets an internal open and you have to spend a couple of hours with
the oscilloscope trying to figure out which one is the culprit...

[They STILL have one of those old analog beasts running at Purdue.
It's in a room [glass-walled, of course] as you come up the stairs
entering the Electrical Engineering bulding from the engineering mall.]

> --
> God doesn't play dice.
>                 -- Albert Einstein

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Politics (was Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:45:14 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Walt wrote:
>
> : In Los Angeles, thousands of illegal immigrants, along with people in
> : local cemeteries, registered and voted in recent elections.  And of
> : course, they voted overwhelmingly Democratic.
>
> And in Florida, the GOP does the same crap. And we all know about
> the election debacle that ensued.

So why did Gore only challenge the counts in DEMONCROOK-controlled
counties?

Is that a sign that not even a Democrat candidate can trust
a Democrat election board to do things properly?

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Linux is Going Down" says Microsoft
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:45:38 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Charlie Ebert ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : And my verdict:  YES, Microsoft is dead.
>
> Not quite yet, but it is in its death throes.

"I'm getting better"

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DOS2Unix
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:49:25 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Mike Martinet ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : How can you not love Linux?
>
> [fun tale snipped[

[bloody vikings tale of dos -> unix migration snipped]

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

I started using Unix (4.2 BSD) as a freshman at Purdue in 1983.
It wasn't until 1994 that I first use an M$ platform.

[Although, by that time, I was already familiar with most
of DOS's shortcomings....tales of frustration from co-op
students in Electrical Engineering].

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Boris Dynin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:50:46 -0800

Why don't you fuck off NT newsgroup, you idiot. Don't crosspost your crap,
retard.

Boris
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Date: 16 Feb 2001 06:51:29 GMT
Subject: Re: Windows XP! Will it really be reliable?

>Huh?  Do we live on the same planet?  AMD's floating point performance was
>so poor in the K6 series that even Celeron's without cache were beating the
>K6 at the same clock speed.

But the K6 worked quite well in real-world applications.  It was also cheaper.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ReiserFS
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:51:36 -0500

mlw wrote:

> Well, I tried it. It is interesting, but no thanks. It seems slower than ext2
> for most everything I do.

Journalling will do that (unless the journal is on another disk
entirely...which is why hot-shot Oracle DBA's always put journaling
partitions on physically separate devices.]

> Back to ext2, waiting for xfs.
> --
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Boris Dynin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:54:39 -0800

Wow, asshole from F*cking fathreland. Fuck off you retard.

Boris
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 06:58:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>Tim Hanson wrote:
>>
>> Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>> > "Ed is the one true editor...."
>> >

>> Ed??!? You use ed?  What a wimp!  Anything above DEBUG is a waste of
>> resources.  It's a little hard to duplicate graphics in hex, though...
>> :-)
>
>Who said I use an editor?
>
>cat | cc
>
>is usually sufficient.
>

>> --
>> Don't worry about avoiding temptation -- as you grow older, it starts
>> avoiding you.
>>                 -- The Old Farmer's Almanac
>
>--
>Aaron R. Kulkis
>Unix Systems Engineer
>DNRC Minister of all I survey
>ICQ # 3056642

DO NOT expect me to give a discussion of how to WIRE a 60's era CPU
for batch processing.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**