Linux-Advocacy Digest #295, Volume #32           Sun, 18 Feb 01 18:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola? ("Net Resident")
  Re: Andrew Leonard: "Life, liberty and the pursuit of free software" (root)
  Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola? ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Pop Quiz: Who made this statement 15 months ago? (Tim Hanson)
  Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola? (Mig)
  Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux ("Nigel")
  Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola? (Mig)
  Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft (mlw)
  Re: The Windows guy. ("Nigel")
  Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft (mlw)
  Re: please help - modprobe cannot locate modules ("Adam Warner")
  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited (Ziya Oz)
  Re: Linux and QA (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola? ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: @Home cable? ("mmnnoo")
  Re: Linux and QA (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Interesting article (Tim Hanson)
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation (Craig Kelley)
  Re: It's just too easy (mlw)
  Re: @Home cable? (Tim Hanson)
  Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft (Craig Kelley)
  Re: @Home cable? (Tim Hanson)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (John Hasler)
  The Best Site OF Linux.  In this site there are all on linux www.frecell.6go.net
("frecell")
  Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola? (Ray Chason)
  Re: please help - modprobe cannot locate modules (Craig Kelley)

From: "Net Resident" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:29:36 -0500

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:96osbp$s0c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I'm just curious as to who is the most heavily killfiled person.
>
> Here's my list:
>
> Chad Meyers
> Conrad Rutherford
> G3
> Jan Johanson

What ever happened to "Steve" with all his alias's, he seemed to be on most
peoples sh*t list a number of months ago.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Andrew Leonard: "Life, liberty and the pursuit of free software"
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:23:40 GMT

Adam Warner wrote:

> http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2001/02/15/unamerican/index.html
>
> I knew Andrew would write about this ;-)
>
> Adam

And when MS distributed their browser for free, then everybody
complained about it including Netscape. That was ok then, but it's not
ok now if MS complains about the free (well, at least in theory) Linux.
The only difference is the media and bunch of idiotic Linux advocates.
Take that and go pick some kiwi...

Divo

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:26:50 +0000

In article <G5Xj6.114675$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Net
Resident" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:96osbp$s0c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I'm just curious as to who is the most heavily killfiled person.
>>
>> Here's my list:
>>
>> Chad Meyers Conrad Rutherford G3 Jan Johanson
>>

> What ever happened to "Steve" with all his alias's, he seemed to be on
> most peoples sh*t list a number of months ago.

She's now become flatfish++++

I quite liek flatfish and i think a lot of other people find her
entertaining too.

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pop Quiz: Who made this statement 15 months ago?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:35:47 GMT

Adam Warner wrote:

> Hi Edward,
>
> > > "...we have been guided by the most basic American values: innovation,
> > > integrity, serving customers, partnership, quality and giving to the
> > > community. We compete vigorously, but fairly."
> > >
> > > (Please don't enter the quotation into Google :-)
> > >
> > > Adam
> >
> > Billy?
>
> Yep, great guess:
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/trial/nov99/110599.asp
>
> The entire sentence is:
> "Microsoft has succeeded because we have been guided by the most basic
> American values: innovation, integrity, serving customers, partnership,
> quality and giving to the community. We compete vigorously, but fairly."
>
> I found the statement kind of ironic. It was a response to District Court
> Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson's findings of fact.
>
> And they tie in so nicely with Microsoft saying that free software is
> un-American.

"We are going to cut off their air supply. Everything they're selling,
we're going to give away for free."
                            -Microsoft Vice President Paul Maritz

--
Rudin's Law:
        If there is a wrong way to do something, most people will do it

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:28:23 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > Mig wrote:
> >> Conrad Rutherford and Jan Johanson are the same person... Youre
> >> forgetting Aaron Kuklis.. he's so bad so that my news server even
> >> killfiles him.. i just see his posts if someone replys to them.
> >
> > Then obviously, you need to sign up with a better News server.
> >
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No way  Ed. The guy doing the filtering has done an excellent job in
keeping spam and excesice X-posting off the server. I doubt though that he
has an eye on Aaron. My guess is that Aarons ISP is on some anti-spam list
that my admin uses but i cant check since i cant see Aarons headers and im
to lazy to do a search on deja.com.

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: "Nigel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: 18 Feb 2001 21:33:44 GMT

> People started to be interested by version 3. IIRC with version 4, IE had
> navigator on the ropes, and I believe that was before the integration in
> Win98.

IE3 was integrated in the OSR2 version of win95.

IE2 was included on the install CD for Win95 Retail version.

There was no IE version 1 because spyglass mosaic was already at
version 2 when MS bought them and renamed it to IE.

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:35:05 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> I'm just curious as to who is the most heavily killfiled person.
> >>

> > *NEVER* killfile your opponents.  That is conceding defeat.
> >

> When it comes to Chad, he is so blinkered that how ever much you win by,
> he will never admit it. Also, I simply find him offensive.
>
> There is no fun or utility in arguing with these people, so I deem it a
> waste of time and don't do it.

The main problem, as i see it, is that if you killfile someone then you
leave the "battlefield" to them to do as they please.
Imagine Jan/Conrad, Chad, Pete, Flatfish having this group for themselves -
astroturfing around all the time and no one  to counter their pathetic
attacks. No way :-)

BTW now that i am posting i need to get this one out. These calculations
where made using W2K ;-)
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1917/proof.html

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:44:43 -0500

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Compared to who...that great intellectual, Teddy Kennedy....
>
> [At least Bush never drove a car off a bridge, let alone waiting HOURS
> to tell the police that his girlfriend was trapped in the vehicle under
> 15 feet of water].

Now what makes you think I would defend Ted? The fact that Ted has a
reprehensible history has no connection with the fact that GW is an idiot. They
can both be true.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Nigel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: 18 Feb 2001 21:41:28 GMT

> Isn't there an upper size for the Registry, beyond which the whole pack
of
> cards comes tumbling down.
>
> Exacerbated by left over entrails of installed/deinstalled apps.

Anyonr else notice that the .DAT files used by the registry grow everytime
an application is
installed but never shrink when uninstalling.

At work I regularly install new test builds of our own software and the
only way I can keep
the system from coming crashing down is to export the registry, restart in
dos mode then
use regedit on commandline to rebuild new registry from exported file - the
new registry is
often as small as a quarter of the size of previous one and some programs
which stopped
working before re-creating registry suddenly start to work again.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:55:23 -0500

J Sloan wrote:

> mlw wrote:
>
> > Craig Kelley wrote:
> > > Yes, he is very religious, which isn't a crime.  Being a puppet is up
> > > for debate.
> >
> > A crime, perhaps not, but an intelligent person would accept the separation of
> > church and state outline by men far smarter than he.
>
> I'd be interested to know how you think the separation
> of church and state was to be implemented - does it
> mean, for instance, that anyone holding religious belief
> cannot hold a position within the government?

A person should believe what ever they want. They should not, however, enact
policy or law on religious beliefs. Like it or not, this is not a "Christian"
theocracy. If devout christians don't want to use birth control or have
abortions, then by all means they should not, but they have no right to force
their viewpoint on others.

An intelligent person can accept difference of opinion without making executive
orders or law. GW is too stupid.

> Somehow I don't think that was the intention -

Then what was it?

> I'd also be curious also to know how you believe
> GW has violated the principle, FWIW.

By limiting access to information about birth control and abortion to programs
abroad funded by tax dollars. His move was a purely religious one, and probably
only to make Pat Robertson happy, and has said (I don't have the exact quote,
in reference to Roe v Wade) "That will take more time."

> I have my own problems with GW, but I just don't
> see this big religious issue that you bring up.

I do.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: please help - modprobe cannot locate modules
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:05:44 +1200

Spicerun,

> No wonder Adam has so many problems with Linux..

My problems with kernel bugs in cutting edge kernels (once of which was
specifically fixed in 2.4.1-ac17) have had NOTHING to do any compile
problems, of which I have not experienced any.

> make mrproper is NOT the same as make clean.  make mrproper clears out
> any kernel configuration you have set up in make menuconfig.

If you have run make mrproper you don't need to run make clean. You state
"(Kernel compiling documentation recommends make dep before make clean)." My
authority is only the official Linux kernel release 2.4.xx README (in
/usr/src/linux/).

It sets out these steps:
make mrproper
make config (or menuconfig, xconfig)
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
(then the long kernel install procedure).

Seems eerily similar to what I do.

If you want to disagree with how to compile a kernel then do by all means
(there's always more than one solution). But please don't insinuate that
doing so
would have created magic pixies to eliminate the kernel bugs I came across.

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
From: Ziya Oz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:04:39 GMT

Nigel wrote:

> GPL'ing your code stops others from claiming rights to it - would you want
> someone to claim the rights to something you have given away

The operative phrase here: "given away."

> and try to stop you using it?

How?

****
Ziya

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux and QA
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:55:51 GMT

Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<96p7ad$qoo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>It appears to be a fair description given your posting habits, complete
>with wild exaggerations, disingenuous whining, and generally dishonest
>rhetorical style.  it might not be a *nice* label, but at least it is
>an accurate one.  You don't like it?  Don't act the part.

That's not my point. Call someone by an unwarranted label, don't expect a
pleasant response.

--
Pete Goodwin
---

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:06:43 +0000

In article <96pf2g$2h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Mig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:

>> > Then obviously, you need to sign up with a better News server.
>> >
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> No way  Ed.

I wasn't suggesting that you did. I was just highlighting Aaron's post.

Sorry for the confusion

------------------------------

From: "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: @Home cable?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:57:55 GMT

Actually they use DHCP, so they don't want you to type
all that stuff in because it might change.

My difficulty was that the dhcpcd in my distro was too old.  Also it
didn't work unless I 'suggested' a hostname.  With an up-to-date dhcpcd,
this does it for me:

/sbin/dhcpcd -H -D -h myhostname eth0

With the 'myhostname' being read from the original Win95 install (but
actually I don't know whether the value for 'myhostname' matters).

Of course this won't work if, for instance, you don't have the nic driver
installed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:58:07 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in <96p5go$46j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>So do many people. Frequent crashnig causes no end of problems.

Yes I know. Why do you think I'm trying Linux? I've just ordered SuSE 7.1,
let's see how I get on with that.

>I have to say that I have never been involved in these tests. However,
>I've had my fair share of hardware with certified drivers that has been a
>PITA to install and get working, and has been unreliable since.

You'd think with all the testing they have, it would work better.

>And they're not always hardware problems.

I know, I know! Windows 9x is not a stable platform.

--
Pete Goodwin
---

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:09:36 GMT

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> >
> > Steve Mading wrote:
> > >
> > > The Venn Diagram doesn't really tell the picture well, though
> > > because "UNIX" isn't at the same level in the taxonomy as
> > > Linux.  It's a set of OSes, one level above the OS level.
> > > Comparing UNIX to Linux isn't like comparing apples and oranges.
> > > It's more like comparing a scalar to a set.
> >
> > As the following diagram shows:
> >
> >         http://leb.net/hzo/ioscount/ix_unix_net_pic.html
> >
> > Linux is not on the UNIX branch at all.  It is a separate
> > entity built to work like UNIX in many ways.  Its like
> > comparing the wolf of America with the aardwolf of
> > Australia.
> >
> > The fact that Linux is off the main tree has plusses (the GPL,
> > better implementation of certain features) and minusses
> > (more chance of bugs and security problems).
>
> That tree is wrong.
>
> If Linux is a descendant of Minix, then Minix is a descendant
> of an early Bell Labs version of Unix.
>
> The ONLY thing connecting Minix and Linux is that Linux used the
> Minix filesystem so that he could get something up and running quickly.

IIRC you're right, because Tannenbaum didn't GPL his code.  He retained
the right to reject submissions to the code base, which was one of the
original complaints Linus had against using it.  AFAIK, there was never
any actual Minix source in Linux.

--
Space is big.  You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-
bogglingly big it is.  I mean, you may think it's a long way down the

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
Date: 18 Feb 2001 15:11:41 -0700

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Charlie Ebert wrote:
>
> > HA!  I still remember what I said when I saw the thing!
> >
> > Hey!  You got an Apple!  He said NO I DON'T!
> > It's a FRANKLIN!
> >
> > I said, what the hell is a FRANKLIN!  That's an APPLE!
> >
> > NO!  It's a FRANKLIN.  FRANKLIN WHAT!  It's AN APPLE!
> >
> > NO FRANKLIN!  READ HERE!  SEE FRANKLIN!
> >
> > WOW!  FRANKLIN IS GOING TO GET SUED!!!!
> >
> > That was my exact words!  20 years ago!
> > I remember!
> >

> They copied EVERY last bit of it...right down to the shape and color
> of the case....even the ventilation slots.
>
> I think the only thing that was different was the nameplate.

It was a lighter color too, but yes, it looked exactly like the ][
through the //e line.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: It's just too easy
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:17:08 -0500

Donn Miller wrote:

> mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > The PCI-PC platform is so bad, it is an addition to a modification to a
> > redesign of an extension of a kludge. There are so many issues with BIOS
> > vendors, PCI bus controllers, etc. I am amazed it works at all.
>
> One thing I didn't know is that even machines that have all PCI slots still
> have an ISA bus that is internal, unless you've got a PC 100 machine.  Also,
> I think that PCI video cards use the ISA bus for standard VGA mode, although
> they are plugged into a PCI slot.  Of course, it uses PCI for the SVGA modes,
> but VGA mode uses the ISA bus AFAIK.  So, this means that PCI video cards are
> really an ISA/PCI hybrid.

That's sort of wrong, close though.

The ISA slots on an advanced PCI system is not a *real* ISA bus. The original
ISA bus was directly connected to the CPU BUS. As computers grew, they slowed
down the system bus when I/O accessed something on this bus. At some point,
they started emulating this bus for legacy peripherals, and completely
decoupled it from the real CPU bus.

There is confusion between ISA bus and AT spaces. Anything higher than 16 megs
on a PC is outside of "ISA" memory space, also anything higher than I/O address
0x3FF (This number may be 0x7FF, I'm not sure right now, and am too lazy to get
the reference book.) is also considered out of ISA I/O space (but in older
machines.)

If no PCI card or on board peripheral claims an I/O or memory space, in "ISA"
space, access to unallocated ISA space is gated onto the emulated ISA bus. A
PCI video card can claim ISA space and not be clocked down to ISA speeds when
it is accessed. It must be the primary adapter to do so. (AFAIK)

However, when a Video card runs in "VGA" mode, it must use 64K memory chunks in
BIOS space, because that is how every piece of software expects it to work and
there is no space outside of that range which is not taken up by real RAM. A
program can access address 0xA0000 without crawling at ISA speeds if the card
is in a PCI slot, but it can not access anything larger than 64K at a time,
which is slow enough.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:18:13 GMT

Alaa Murad wrote:

> Hi all.
> I have @home cable & Mandrake 7.2 and I can't get to work ?
> I tried every thing ?
> any one know how set it ?or how to web site?
>
> Thanks in advance

You might try athome.users-unix

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Feb 2001 15:20:50 -0700

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Craig Kelley wrote:
> > Yes, he is very religious, which isn't a crime.  Being a puppet is up
> > for debate.
>
> A crime, perhaps not, but an intelligent person would accept the separation of
> church and state outline by men far smarter than he.

You're speaking of the slave-owning founding fathers, I presume?  They
are the ones that are much mor intelligent than Bush?  Do tell.

> > > OK, so not "below" 1200, 1206, lol. With SAT scores like that, he had to have
> > > the help of rich and powerful parents to get into Harvard. (I don't know that
> > > he did, I am assuming you are correct.) So, if he had influence to get into
> > > harvard (SAT scores are proof enough.) then it is also reasonable he had help
> > > getting through harvard.
> > >
> > > So, his school is probably like his life, a sure bet for failure without the
> > > help of his father.
> >
> > I guess we'll find out then.
>
> No, we already know. He's an idiot.

If he's an idiot, then 95% of the nation is idiotic as well; unless
you have some sort of meter that I do not have.  He scored in the 96th
percentile on the SAT.

Not that IQ is all-important; I have a great uncle with an IQ of 160,
and there is no way I'd want him in charge of a bake-off, much less
the presidency.  He's a bit... eccentric.

#include <libertarian_disclaimer.h>
#include <glass_house_rock.h>

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:21:29 GMT

Just a hint:  When I finally got around to setting up BIND8 on my Linux
box and got my home network to use it, my incidence of "network down"
problems went to near zero.  Email is still sucky.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:30:44 GMT

Peter writes:
> OTOH, even in the cave, man was searching for a reason for his existence.
> That, and art, is what separates us from the beasts in the field.

Show that "the beasts in the field" do not practice art and ponder
existence.  Show that man "in the cave" was.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "frecell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The Best Site OF Linux.  In this site there are all on linux
www.frecell.6go.net
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:28:42 +0100

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:28:24 -0000

Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>No way  Ed. The guy doing the filtering has done an excellent job in
>keeping spam and excesice X-posting off the server. I doubt though that he
>has an eye on Aaron. My guess is that Aarons ISP is on some anti-spam list
>that my admin uses but i cant check since i cant see Aarons headers and im
>to lazy to do a search on deja.com.

It might be taking that big wanking sig to be spam (it *is* a form of
spam, after all).

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Feb 2001 15:29:09 -0700

"eissimuf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I recently upgraded the kernel my Slackware installation to 2.4.1 from
> 2.2.16.  However, none of the modules are able to load.  For example,
> /lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o exits, when I enter
> "modprobe -a /lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o" I receive
> the error message "modprobe: Can't locate module tulip.o".  All of the
> modules which I selected while configuring the kernel appear in their proper
> directories.  Despite compiling my kernel by entering "make dep clean
> modules modules_install bzImage", my /lib/modules/2.4.1/modules.dep file is
> empty (perhaps it should be...?).  However, I tried adding the line
> "path=/lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/drivers/" to my /etc/modules.conf file and I
> received 100s of error messages during startup involving incorrect paths,
> files, etc, but the modules would load.
>
> If anyone could please shed some light on this problem, I would be vastly
> appreciative as I have exhausted my small cache of knowledge and what I have
> been able to gather from docs and howtos.

Did you read the README file?  It talks about having the newest,
bestest version of modutils so that they function with 2.4.x.  You can
find them on kernel.org.

Also, you should just need to do:

depmod -a
insmod tulip

And even the depmod only needs to be done once.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]