From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:33:04 -0500

Brent R wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> > > I don'ty think yoy could call the people in the post room criminals, just
> > > because a bunch of people waaay up the line are criminals.
> > >

> > Microsoft has been CONVICTED OF CRIMINAL behavior on NUMEROUS OCCASIONS.
> >
> > Anybody who chooses to stay with such a company, or worse, hires in
> > AFTER these NUMEROUS CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS is *KNOWINGLY* joining a
> > criminal organization.
>
> To me, any corporation who hires workers in other countries for below
> minimum wage is committing a crime. To believe that each and every

Who's minimum wage?

When I was in Saudi Arabia, I met a guy who was working there as a contractor.
He was from either India or Sri Lanka....went to Saudi for the money.

I asked him what he did at home, and how much he made.

He said he used to get $50/month as a BANK MANAGER.

> employee of those organizations is a criminal would be to believe that a
> good majority of Americans are criminals.

You're full of shit.  The cost of living in many countries of the world
is ridiculously low.

> > At this point, As far as I'm concerned, every last Microsoft employee
> > should be put in jail...if only for a week....just to get the point
> > across that CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
>
> Gawd you'd have to imprison half the corporate employees in America for
> this to be fairly enforced.

Paying the fair market value for overseas labor is *NOT* criminal.

Remember... every person you call an "exploited 3rd world worker" is
usually someone who is damn THANKFUL to have the job.

> <snipped obscenely long sig>
> --
>
> Happy Trails
>
> -Brent
> =============================
> http://rotten168.home.att.net
> =============================
> ICQ# 51265871

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard E. Silverman)
Date: 19 Feb 2001 12:34:39 -0500

    >> None of these features are part of Telnet as it is commonly
    >> implemented, and they constitute quite a bit more than "telnet,
    >> just encrypted."  Telnet is trivially sniffable and hijackable; SSH
    >> is not.  If you don't think these are significant improvements,
    >> perhaps you could explain why not?

    Chad> It's still just telnet, but it's encrypted. You're still just
    Chad> telneting through a "secure" tunnel.

This is another non-sequitur.  I presented several aspects of SSH which
are improvements over Telnet, and asked you to explain why they are not
significant.  You responded by repeating your phrase that SSH is "still
Telnet."  Elsewhere in my response, I questioned in detail what that
phrase could mean and why, even if true, it would count as an objection to
SSH.  You did not respond to those questions.

    Chad> However, given the numerous exploits and vulnerabilities
    Chad> available for SSH in just the month of February this year,
    Chad> perhaps they should start calling it "Not so secure shell"
    Chad> NSSSH.

This is a weak attempt at humor which does not even have the saving grace
of addressing any of the points at issue here.

    >> These are irrelevant non-sequiturs.  The claim that SSH uses
    >> "shoddy encryption" requires specific support: what encryption
    >> process is inadequate, and how exactly is it so?

    Chad> There are numerous exploits and attacks on the encryption of
    Chad> SSH1, and there are beginning to be numerous ones for SSH2 as
    Chad> well.

Once again you have simply repeated your claims with inadequate support.
You made this statement before; I pointed out that it was vague and
unsupported and asked for specifics; you repeated the claim.  "Proof by
repetition" is not a valid proof technique.  You have yet to present any
evidence which backs up your contention.  I am aware of two weaknesses in
SSH-1 encryption: the Futoransky/Kargiemann insertion attack, and the
Bleichenbacher key-recovery attack.  I'm not even sure the former counts,
since it is really a failure of integrity checking, but since it is
related to the bulk cipher used I will grant it for the time being.  In
any event, both are largely impractical to execute in the real world, and
are only effective against an outdated version of the protocol.  They
hardly count as "huge exploits," and neither are they "numerous."  I am
not aware of any weaknesses in SSH-2 encryption; if you have an example, I
would very much like to see it.  Finally, as I and others have pointed out
to you, the other reports you cited are simple software bugs which have
been fixed.  They are not protocol vulnerabilities, do not constitute
objections to SSH per se, and are not even remotely related to encryption.

--
  Richard Silverman

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: 19 Feb 2001 17:39:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (ZnU) wrote in:
>In article <96rh0v$mcr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Jensen
>> As it happens, I've used more or less the BSD license on my own
>> projects. Starting from a blank page I might choose that again.  The
>> BSD license might match my goals, but the GPL wouldn't stop me from
>> contributing to an existing project I find useful.  Just because I
>> spend a few hours on GPL code, or a few hundred, it doesn't make me
>> GPL for life.  It's just the way I spent a little time.
>
>I have no problem with this sort of thing. I have a problem with the
>people who scream that all software should be free, by which they mean
>all software should be GPL.

I don't think anyone actually supports this view, even Stallman recognises
Perl's Artistic license and the BSD license as being free software.

>and authors have a right to release their software under whatever
>license they want.

No one will argue with you there, either.

--
Nick

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .NET is plain .NUTS
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:44:32 GMT

Karel Jansens wrote:

> In article <01c09a0b$cb483a40$28ac8bd4@nigel-laptop>, "Nigel"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Especially when ONE $100 copy of a "professional" grade Linux
> >> distribution can be ***LEGALLY*** loaded onto every machine at a 1500
> >> desktop facility.
> >>

> > Can't imagine this actually happening though - more likely that each
> > department in the company would get their own copy. Can you imagine how
> > hard it will be to find the CD if any machine needs re-installing if
> > only 1 copy exists (of course 1 CD-R per department all burned from the
> > 1 master is also possible).
>
> Re-installing linux?
> Why would anybody want to do that?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Karel Jansens
> ==============================
> "Go go gadget linux." Zoomm!
> ==============================
Bad hard disk, larger hard disk, new PC so Shirley and Agnes don't have
to share anymore (that's not a reinstall, but another reason to have the
distro handy), package management (Shipping doesn't need Star Office,
but they do need MySQL), Admin tasks conveniently handled by the bundled
administration program, getting new hardware which needs drivers not on
the hard disk, etc.

Actually, any reasonably sized business can just buy one distro and burn
copies themselves.
--
Love means having to say you're sorry every five minutes.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:53:36 +0000

>>Dead hard disk?
>>
>>-ed
>>

> Here are some classic reasons I've had to re-install Debian.
>
> #1.  OG&E and a 100,000,000 volt lightning bolt.
> #2.  Dead Hard Disk.
> #3.  Dead Hard Disk Controller/ Mother Board.

Couldn't you just replace the motherboard.

> #4.  Iced Tea/ Coffee/ Dog pee.

Not just Linux you have to reinstall. Most major components as well...

> #5.  Daughters playing socker in house.  Also closely related to #2.

> That's 5 verified reasons you need both a Backup and a CD image.

When I was young enough to be booting a ball around in my house, either
we had no computers (most of the time) on the rare occasion when we did
have a computer, it was kept away from flying objects. Didn't stop me
crasing it when I got my hands on it.

Oh, here's another one that would cause a reinstall (this is a true
story).

Some guy had to bring his kid in to work for a few hours. To keep the kid
happy, he put the kid in front of a computer. Being a young kid, bashing
the keyboard and seeing reactions to this bashing caused endless
amusement. Unfortunately, due to a complete freak of chance (monkeys on
typewriter syndrome---the kid was about 4 IIRC), he managed to reboot the
computer, go in to the BIOS and low level format the HDD. This isn't an
urban myth in this case.

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:03:03 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would Linux be invented if?

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Donn Miller wrote:
> >You forgot Plan 9.  When I had this particular interview, the person
> >doing the hiring said that Windows NT is easier to use than unix.  He
> >also said that a lot of software was being ported to Windows from unix,
> >so that makes it a good reason to switch.  (*Shrugs*.  This is a good
> >reason to switch?!)  Departments switching from unix to NT also cite
> >that fact that Windows has the great clipboard thingie, and that you can
> >do all kinds of sophisticated OLE stuff with it.  For example, if you do
> >some analysis with engineering software, you can select the data, or
> >click on a graph for example, and select "copy" from the menu.  And --
> >get this -- brace yourself -- Windows' clipboard is so neat and
> >ulta-sophisticated, it allows you to select what kind of data you'd like
> >to paste into your document.  For example, you can select "plain text",
> >"word document", and "bitmap".  Dammit, X11 doesn't have anything near
> >this sophisticated, so I suppose that automatically makes Windows NT
> >better.  Besides, they say, unix isn't a good OS to use unless you are
> >doing intensive computational projects, or running a server.
>
> I wonder what people would think about this idea.
>
> If there were no Microsoft and Windows was never invented.
>
> If we still had Novel and Apple battling it out with Unix's,
> WOULD THERE HAVE BEEN LINUX?
>
> I think the answer to that is YES.
>
> Linus mastered Linux because he wanted a replacement for Minix.
>
> Linus had no vision of conquering Microsoft at all.  This was
> never his objective.
>
> Isn't it funny how all those companies who HAD OBJECTIVES to
> conquer Windows failed and the one who was just playing one
> year with a kernel with NO AMBITIONS WHAT-SO-EVER will be
> the one to topple Microsoft.
>
> This is the work of god.

That is sort of ironic when you think about it, considering Linus is
atheist.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy.Culley)
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:35:53 +0100

I think this sums up netmeeting: http://www.shenton.org/~chris/nasa-hq/netmeeting/

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:06:00 -0500

Jonathan Hendry wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > What I like about the GPL is it keeps people honest....
>
> No it doesn't. The legions of /.ers who will whinge
> and bitch and complain and DDOS your site keep people
> honest.
>
> GPL is in itself as effective at keeping people honest
> as any other copyright-based method. If popular sentiment
> turned against GPL, GPL'd code would be as defenseless
> as Napster'd MP3s.

With it, you can give stuff away, but still have the basis
for a lawsuit if someone tries to steal the code without
giving proper credit (by providing the source).

With out it, you have only two options:  keep your own
source code secret, or publish under normal copyright, and
have a nightmare keeping track of everybody who's asked you
for permission to use your code.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:32:53 +0000

Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>>Perhaps someone from a barren nuclear devastated future assassinated JFK to
>>prevent nuclear war. Just as likely as Oswald doing it alone.
>>

> I love it! That's now my favorite JFK assassination theory! :-)
> We can call it the "terminator theory".

Nahhhh... My favourite is the red dwarf theory.
Lister, Kryten and Rimmer find a time machine and travel back in time,
finding themselves in a book warehouse.

They knock Oswald out of the window just as he's about to shoot, and when
they return to the future, everything's changed...

So they travel back again 2 or three times to stop themselves from knocking
him out, or to stop him from being on the same floor, and fail each time...

So they travel 30 years into the future where Kennedy is being imprisoned on
corruption charges, and convince him to save his political reputation and
become a national hero by assasinating himself from the grassy knoll...

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Does Code Decay
Date: 19 Feb 2001 18:08:30 GMT

Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: You don't even need that...  We're talking about something the size of
: a softball.  You can merely make a sphere with a cylinder hollowed out
: of it...and a matching cylinder which drops (by gravity) into the
: hollowed-out space.  Then make a time-delay device that gives you a
: two-hour delay.

For a tactical nuke as opposed to the strategic nukes, the grapefruit size
ball of Pu-239 is about right. (in two halves until detonation of course) The
yield of that small nuke will be only kilotonnes, not megatonnes. So, you'll
have to get your suitcase nuke within a few blocks of the target. Definitely
not a hard problem. It'll fuck up a centre city (downtown) nicely as well as
blow up the target.

If you want, say a 25 megatonne weapon, it'll be bigger than a suitcase nuke,
in which case you deliver it to the centre city by a rental truck like a Tim
McVeigh. In that case, you don't have to be close to the target as you set the
timer or otherwise arm it. How these weapons work is that it has inside small
nukes to cause a fusion reaction with lithium deteuride (heavy-hydride) and
the case is U-238 that by neutron bombardment becomes a supercritical mass of
Pu-239, causing it to explode instantly.

: Simply setup the suitcase in a janitor's closet in a sky-scraper...
: Super-glue the thing into place so that nobody tampers with it.

You can superglue it, but someone will try to tamper with your ticking nuke.
Use a _Samsonite_ suitcase and superglue it shut once you arm it. An excellent
method of arming the nuke would be a beeper rigged to a relay. That way, you
can be out of town and merely call the beeper, detonating the bomb. But use a
timer too, as beepers get wrong numbers, and a wrong number caller will
detonate the nuke all the same. (This is what I call a "beeper bomb", which
can be normal or a nuke as in this case.)

Samsonite luggage is a good choice for suitcase nukes as they are
gorilla-proof. We all know about the Samsonite Gorilla. Best damn packaging
for a nuke ever invented.

: The only thing that is beyond the means of run-of-the-mill terrorists
: is getting their hands on enough plutonium.

Which is a Good Thing(tm). Even Saddam has a hard time trying to buy some
Pu-239.

BTW, I prefer my martinis shaken, not stirred. (:

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.