From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:57:22 -0700

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> Since I have a regular 40 hour work week (web application developer
> >> gratefully using Perl and C on a Solaris platform, proudly
> >> rehabilitated from the Windos world), I only have time to regularly
> >> read one newsgroup, I do other things besides play with computers. I
> >> choose this newsgroup to read and I want to see everyone's
> >> contributions. So I have no kill file entries.
> >
> > You would if Tholen was in this group... don't ask... :)
>
> He does come to this group once in a while from a cross post. I like
> `debating' with him to see how long I can keep it up. This time, I out
> tholed him.
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk

Tholen loves to argue, thats all.
--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat Fisher Beta
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:11:44 GMT

Jeepster wrote:

> Linvocates - they make the mormons seem normal.

What do you have against the "mormons", moron?  Whats the
matter, your Microsoft spell-checker crap out on you?

> Gotta love 'em.

I love you.  Really, I do.

> > bad.... I've spent more time getting a modem to work
> > under Win NT.
>
> Then you don't understand what you are doing. You should be even touching a
> computer in an administrative capacity.

You're very funny.  Considering I've set up a large number
of communications paradigms using a wide range of hardware
from toy computers up to HP-1000's.  Written projects in
FORTRAN, C, C++, Pascal, Algol, assembler, and even MatLab,
to handle D/A, HP-IB, network cards (but not modems).

Your claim about my is essentially meaningless.  You are extrapolating
greatly from an incomplete data point.

> Disgraceful, you are a user, nothing more, nothing less.

What software do I use, then, hmm?  Have you enumerated my
machines, Mr. 212.50.168.156, or is it
156.168.50.212.in-addr.arpa, at dialup156.coruscant.kingston-internet.net?

Looks like your name servers might be:

ibex.kingston-internet.co.uk (212.50.160.28) and
bison.kingston-internet.co.uk (212.50.161.28).

> > bargain than even the finest monopoly bloatware, Win 2000.
>
> And Linux with all its associate addons is not bloat? with KDE/Gnome added
> its not? *LOL*

It runs better on 96 Mb than Win 2000 does.

> Again, you are a user not an administrator.

I'm the master of my own domain.

> Now sit down boy, and stop whinging about matters that you don't understand.

Don't call me boy.... And learn to spell.  And study up a little
more before you troll.

Chris

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:16:44 -0500

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> mlw wrote:

>he was
>which

> > > Hasn't sold nuclear warhead plans to people threatening to level Los Angleles.
> > >
> > > Or is that considered a "smart move" for a Rhodes Scholar?
> >
> > AFAIK he has never sold "warheads" there are some issues with technology for
> > rockets, but no one has ever claimed he has sold warheads.

[snip]

GW is still an idiot.
--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: Oeyvind Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:14:37 -0500

Den Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:49:02 GMT, tastet "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>So far, no one has refuted my claims (which were basically that SSH isn't
>secure and there are several exploitable vulnerabilities which exist
>on a large number of installed SSH hosts). They continue to bash me,
>call me names, and other infantile behaviors, but no one has addressed
>these issues.

Hmm, wonder if that has anything to do with your claim that SSH is
"still just telnet". These statements clearly demonstrate that you have
no idea what you are talking about.

I suggest that you have a look at the SSH faq's, or maybe even "SSH, The
Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide" by Barrett and Silverman.
(yeah, that is the Silverman earlier in this tread)

>If this is how security issues are addressed in the Unix word, I thank
>God I only use Windows for the most part.

I rest my case.

>Keep your head in the sand for all I care, it just shows your glaring
>ignorance.

Funny, that was what I about to tell you.

-oep

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:21:17 GMT

Tim Hanson wrote:

> I think they were talking about their new ($3,000 per node) cluster
> software, which, by still calling "uptime" the time during which at
> least one of the nodes is operation, they can make five-nines.
>
> You had to know it was a scam, right?

The only nines Microsoft makes are sixty nines.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:26:06 -0500

CR Lyttle wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > Charles Lyttle wrote:

> > > I sit here with all my GM stock asking not to be reminded of that fact.
> >
> > As long as GM's stock prices continue to go up, and they keep paying
> > normal-sized or higher dividends, why the fuck do you care if they are
> > #1 or #4, exactly?
> >
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
>
> AS long as they keep up the dividends, I don't care if the stock goes up
> or down, or if the company is number 1 or number 100. I do care about
> why a change happens. That can be a predictor of whether they are going
> to keep paying in the future or not. GM, I am afraid, has been getting
> rid of some of its best long term assets.

1) Retirements;

2) Talent pool dilution; For the last few years, GM was REALLY the
place to work in Detroit... Generous Motors

For decades, if you were an engineer in Detroit, GM was always THE BEST
company to work for...and for the last few decades, probably Ford and GM
tied for blue collar jobs like assembly-line work.

Chrysler was already the poor man...and AMC...well, that sick-man
died 20 years ago...so they're just a footnote.

But...anyways...Chrysler's management, post-Iacocca...decided to
solve the problem that had always dogged Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth:
cash crunches during economic downturns....which always meant that
every time the economy went south, Chrysler had to start laying
off designers and engineers.

But...as I said...Chrysler management decided to put an end to that,
and managed to accumulate over $10 BILLION in cash reserves as a
"rainy day" fund.  This attracted a LOT of top-talent from Ford
and GM to go over to Chrysler...

Unfortunately, it also attracted some swindlers at Daimler-Benz.

Chrysler HAD *cough* *cough* US $10 BILLION, until the guys at
Daimler embezzled it.  (You can't tell me that in the
economy we've had in the US for the last 2 years that Chrysler could
have lost $11 BILLION in two years....especially when, just prior to
this, they had just posted record profits.

But now, VW of America has their US headquarters 1/2 down the
road from Chrysler's combination headquarters/tech-center/
test-track facility.

Anyway, the best automotive engineering talent used to be shared
primarily between just Ford and GM... Now it's split 4 ways
between Ford, GM, Chrysler, and VW.

I don't know if that's "the key"...but it could have something
to do with it.

> --
> Russ
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>
> Not powered by ActiveX

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: 20 Feb 2001 03:28:37 GMT

Tom Elam ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On 18 Feb 2001 17:13:54 GMT, Tom Elam wrote this reply to John Jensen
: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

: >At the same time we need to make a buck, we need to live, we need a faster
: >car. What we do is tie a string, or anchor in place, the bits we put into
: >the digital world. We decide not to let them stray too far. We apply a
: >license.

I work in science.  My data is 'given away' too.  the gov't pays for this.

: >
: >That's our choice, and I don't think we need to make the same choice every
: >time. If we believe that is the right of the creators (authors, artists,
: >programmers) to dispose of their work as they sees fit, then we must
: >accept the choices of creators around us.

Well, if they want it in a box where people can't read it then let them put it
there.  I don't know any OSS guy who'd break into their house steal it
and scan it.

: >
: >It's fair that some people sell things, and some people give things away.

Yes.

: Bingo.  What's not fair is you working 10 years on a novel, putting it on the
: market for, say, $7.95 in paperback, and some bozo, against your wishes, scans
: it in and posts it on his Web site for anybody to read.  It's your decision,
: not some bozo, and not some Web site that thinks copyrighted material "just
: oughta be free".

What if I buy a used copy then give it to a friend?

: Well said.

Indeed.

Fred

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:28:42 -0500

Jeepster wrote:

> Linvocates - they make the mormons seem normal.
>
> Gotta love 'em.
>
> > bad.... I've spent more time getting a modem to work
> > under Win NT.
>
> Then you don't understand what you are doing. You should be even touching a
> computer in an administrative capacity.

Of course, the fact that NT, just like everything else with
the Lose32 API is a fucked up piece of shit doesn't have the
slightest relevance....or does it.

> Disgraceful, you are a user, nothing more, nothing less.
>
> > bargain than even the finest monopoly bloatware, Win 2000.
>
> And Linux with all its associate addons is not bloat? with KDE/Gnome added
> its not? *LOL*

The key word is *add ons*...  They are NOT *necessary* components
like LoseNT and Lose2000 bloat.

> Again, you are a user not an administrator.
>
> Now sit down boy, and stop whinging about matters that you don't understand.

There's only one 'g' in whining.

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I decided to load this beta version of Red Hat Linux,
> > 7.0.90.  I did the upgrade to my RH 7 setup.  I'm sad
> > to report that it munged both my IDE-SCSI setup and
> > my RTL8139 module, so that the CD and the network card
> > wouldn't work.
> >
> > So I said, what the hell, and I just reinstalled, and
> > re-did all the little tweaks I need to do all the
> > things I do.  Took me about 4 hours, I'd guess.  Not
> > bad.... I've spent more time getting a modem to work
> > under Win NT.
> >
> > Got my IDE-SCSI back up, found that the rtl8139.o module
> > is replaced by 8139too.o, which is not well regarded
> > on Donald Becker's site, but seems to do the job okay.
> > Got ssh back up, nfs, remote printing, Netscape.
> >
> > Even got Mozilla running (you'll see it in a couple of
> > my posts), but it's too slow at present.  Otherwise,
> > pretty cool.
> >
> > All in all, I like this 2.4 kernel.  Even the video
> > looks a little better in some subtle way I can't put my
> > finger on.
> >
> > However, I can't get hdparm to improve the disk performance
> > like I could with the 2.2 kernel, so I'm thinking deep
> > thoughts about that.
> >
> > I think Red Hat has to be careful, or they're going to
> > have shitty upgrade problems akin to those you get upgrading
> > from NT to 2000 Pro.  On the other hand, I see so many things
> > that Red Hat (and other distros) bring you.  A much better
> > bargain than even the finest monopoly bloatware, Win 2000.
> >
> > Man, I love Linux!  It rox!  Nothing is going to kill Linux.
> > It will simply slowly mutate into something even better!
> >
> > Chris

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:33:55 -0800
From: John Rudd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> John Rudd wrote:
> >
> > Jonathan Hendry wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > No it doesn't. The legions of /.ers who will whinge
> > > and bitch and complain and DDOS your site keep people
> > > honest.
> > >

> > Sounds like the digital age equiv. of Mao's comment about that which issues
> > forth from the barrel of a gun. (That was Mao, wasn't it?)
>
> close.  "Political power comes from the barrel of a gun"
>                 --Mao Ze Dong

Right, I said "sounds like".  I heard it as "Power is that which issues
forth from the barrel of a gun."

The 'Net equivilent might be: Software Freedom is protected by that which
issues forth from a DDOS.

> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642

[long .sig trimmed]

Dude, ever heard of netiquette? :-)   no more than 4-6 lines, please. :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Activities Committee
Date: 20 Feb 2001 03:33:46 GMT

Charlie Ebert ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <Ol0k6.299372$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Weevil wrote:

: >"Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, people
: >don't pay for the software. Someday they will, though. As long as they are
: >going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted,
: >and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next
: >decade."
: >                            - Bill Gates

: Another inference to .NET

One minor problem. People in China for the most part don't hardly have any
money. Those computers shipping are going to mostly businesses with ultrathin
profit margins, and thus are forced to use warez.

A few years ago, I predicted that China will never be a huge consumer market
when a fuckwitted bitch with a Master Bullshit Artist degree asked me about
the global mail operation at the annex where I worked. I was right. I pissed
her off pretty bad when I pointed out that the Chinese version of Joe Average
simply doesn't have money to blow on Victoria's Secret lingerie.

The McDonald's execs thought they were cute when they opened 100 stores all
over Asia in "emerging markets" and lost their shirt.

During the NAFTA debate, I made the prediction that consumer goods would be
slow sellers under the border. Sure as shit, I was right.

Bill Gates is forgetting the first law of economics:

You can't sell product to people without money.

That one simple law of nature explains why you don't see a Macy's in a town of
trailer parks. Same with the lack of grocery supermarkets in projects. Any MBA
ignoring that law does so at his or her own economic peril. That law has been
time tested by all the examples above and it always works. If Bill Gates
thinks that the Chinese people can pay up for software when they have to take
out a loan on a used bicycle, he is utterly deluded.

Just becuse the non-market is halfway around the world doesn't mean the laws
of nature are repealed. The McMBAs forgot that fact when they set up stores
selling burgers that cost a worker TWO DAYS wages for one sandwich.

My prediction is that Bill Gates won't be able to get people in China to pay
up for the software. They'll just use warez or Linux. Sorry Bill, you can't
repeal natural laws.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:38:33 -0500

Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> Tom Elam ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : On 18 Feb 2001 17:13:54 GMT, Tom Elam wrote this reply to John Jensen
> : <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> : >At the same time we need to make a buck, we need to live, we need a faster
> : >car. What we do is tie a string, or anchor in place, the bits we put into
> : >the digital world. We decide not to let them stray too far. We apply a
> : >license.
>
> I work in science.  My data is 'given away' too.  the gov't pays for this.

I find this an amazing paradox (irony) of the "intellectual property" age. The
greatest discoveries and theories are free for all to read, use, and
understand. While minute and meaningless techniques which require little or no
inventiveness or intelligence are subject to vigorous patents.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 20 Feb 2001 03:34:53 GMT

ZnU ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <01c099f8$e95d0320$28ac8bd4@nigel-laptop>, "Nigel"
: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: > > Well, according to the Open Source zealots, it's not enough to just
: > > give your stuff away, you have to GPL it!
: > >

It would help 'the cause'.

: > GPL'ing your code stops others from claiming rights to it - would you
: > want someone to claim the rights to something you have given away and
: > try to stop you using it?
: >
: > Without the GPL it would be easy for a commercial company to build a
: > program around your code, claim the rights then sue you for still
: > using it.

: This is pure FUD. They can't stop you from using it. They can't sue you.
: All they can do is prevent you from having access to the changes _they_
: make to it.

No, they can copyright it as their own then stop you from using it.  this is
the fear.  It might not happen, but why not be sure?

: Why would you want to allow this? The same reason corporations are
: allowed to use government research as a starting point for commercial
: products. Society benefits. If Microsoft uses your code in the

Actually, the corp mostly benefits.  It's called corporate welfare.
Society would benefit if the gov't could set a sane price for drugs.
drugs cost too much.  _I_ as a taxpayer pay for it, then it's sold back
at me for a profit.  this is theft.

: networking stack, MS benefits, and MS's customers benefit. You might not
: like MS, but millions of people have a more secure OS because of your
: work.

??? People benefit b/c a criminal organization cannibalizes my work?

: Maybe you don't like this. Fine. Use GPL. But don't claim it's "free"
: (as in speech), because GPLed code comes with strings attached. And

As a 'realist' you know that all things come with strings attatched.

: these strings sometimes result in people reinventing the wheel (one of
: the major things open source tries to eliminate), simply because of the
: license.

How does this differ from proprietary sw?

: I think the BSD OSes demonstrate that the GPL's "enforced sharing" isn't : really
:needed; people give back just because they want to. Even major : corporations do; in
:spite of whatever claims uninformed zealots might : make, Apple has given quite a lot
:back to the BSD community.

Wha6t does zealot mean?  Someone who's zealous, excited.  I'm definately excited
about GPL so I'm proud to say I'm a zealot.

Fred