From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:43:55 GMT

Karel Jansens wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tim Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Karel Jansens wrote:
> >>
> >> It couldn't have been that difficult (*), given that the ODIN project
> >> (an open source initiative of the OS/2 NetLabs) is pretty much
> >> achieving that goal right now (It's pretty nifty: instead of going for
> >> the WinOS/2 emulation, ODIN translates Win32 executables into OS/2
> >> exes, so you end up with Word
> >> 2000 for OS/2(**)!).
> >
> > I wish we had a project like that going in the Linux world.  It wouldn't
> > even need to be perfect.  Developers could take an imperfect
> > implementation and fix it once it's ported.
> >

> Heh. OS/2 NetLabs has another project running, called "Everblue". It's
> supposed to be the linux equivalent of ODIN: translating linux binaries so
> that they can run seamlessly on the WPS without the need of XfreeOS/2 to
> replace the WPS.
>
> Be afwaid. Be vewy afwaid. <G>

I'm a Linux advocate, but I wouldn't mind a little OS/2 resurrection for
the desktop.  The reason is that no one on that platform is trying to
hijack standards to monopolize the internet.  If it, or BeOS for that
matter, developed a respectable client allowing Linux to grow on the
server side, so be it; I'd be happy.  One of those, being a single user
multitasking OS, would most likely be a better candidate for a desktop
OS than Linux, unless someone like Joe Cheek with Redmond Linux polishes
up the product a little.

> >> (*) Not putting down the ODIN crowd, of course!
> >> (**) Assuming anyone would really _want_ that...
> >
> > Sure we'd want that.  It would instantly fulfill the Wine project's
> > unfulfilled promise, while giving Windows users an alternative for
> > hundreds of applications.
> >

> Do you mean that you actually would want to run Word???

I use Office 97 every day at work.  No choice.  My employer has
standardized on it, as have 95% of businesses in the world.  Those are
the facts.  If I could get Office to run reliably on Linux I'd be
delighted, and my employer would save a ton of money.  It would also be
a lot easier for companies who have to use it (and considering the
proprietary file formats, most companies have to use it) to switch to
Linux and perhaps from there to better tools eventually.  Asking
companies to abandon Office is a lot harder than asking them to abandon
Windows.  The actual quality of the tools isn't an issue.

--
                Double Bucky
        (Sung to the tune of "Rubber Duckie")

Double bucky, you're the one!
You make my keyboard lots of fun
        Double bucky, an additional bit or two:
(Vo-vo-de-o!)
Control and Meta side by side,
Augmented ASCII, nine bits wide!
        Double bucky, a half a thousand glyphs, plus a few!

Double bucky, left and right
OR'd together, outta sight!
        Double bucky, I'd like a whole word of
        Double bucky, I'm happy I heard of
        Double bucky, I'd like a whole word of you!

                -- (C) 1978 by Guy L. Steele, Jr.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,demon.local
Subject: Re: Hilter Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:44:35 -0500

Woofbert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Nick Condon wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmm. Does Godwin apply here?
> >

> > ***FUCK*** Godwin
>
> You've said this before. What's wrong with Godwin? What did he ever do
> to you? Are you under the mistaken apprehension that Godwin's Law is a
> binding rule of netiquette?

Ok..how about this:

**FUCK*** Godwin's pea-brained "law"

> --
> Woofbert <woofbert at infernosoft dot com> -- http://www.infernosoft.com
> "As any discussion of the Macintosh progresses, the likelihood of someone
> claiming that the Mac UI was stolen from Xerox approaches 1. At this point,
> the thread has degenerated to such an extent that it might as well end."

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:47:06 -0500

Sam Morris wrote:

> your sig.

> > > Aaah, so you're our savior.  Without your arrogance and rude
> behavior,
> > > we'd all be much worse off.  You're rude AND delusional.  Two
> great
> > > annoyances in one package!
> > >
> > > I don't buy it.  There's another way to avoid those
> flamewars: ignore or
> > > killfile those people and their attacks.  That accomplishes
> the same
> >
> > Ignoring savage insults and accusations implies to the observer
> that
> > that insults and accusations are true.
>
> And yet you still refuse to justify the petty attacks present in
> your .sig.

They are NOT petty attacks.  They are documentation of methodologies
used in petty attacks against me.

> > I *REFUSE* to allow my name to be besmirched without response.
>
> Get over it.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Sam
>
> "All your base are belong to us" - Cats

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:47:33 GMT

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > > Diesel-electrics were NOT introduced to solve a fuel-consumption
> > > problem: they were introduced because they provide better torque from a
> > > dead stop than steam...allowing an increase in the gross tons per
> > > locomotive ratio.
> > >
> > > Also, they can be remote-controlled from one cab by electrical hookups,
> > > allowing ONE crew to harness the power of three or four engines.  With
> > > steam, you would still need 1 or 2 people in each engine, and the
> > > linkage would probably (in those day) have to have been mechanical, not
> > > electrical.
> >
> > The 'electric' part of diesel electric is more coincidence than
> > anything. When you have huge engines, at power transmission becomes a
> > real problem. At the time, copper wires were the best way of transferring
> > the mechanical power from the engines to the wheels. Diesel-mechanical
> > didn't work well. IIRC, CAT developes a system a decade ago or so for
> > tirect transfer of mechanical energy for really big vehicles.
>
> Wrong.  It's because with an electrical link, you can run the
> diesel at full speed while the wheels are at a dead stop...WITHOUT
> having to worry about wear and tear on clutch systems.

You can also run them at the ideal designed-in rpm for maximum torque
and efficiency.  With that size engine, the window is a hundred rpm if
you're lucky.

From: "paul AT obsidian DOT co DOT za" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LPI Certification
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:38:32 +0200

In article <A6Vk6.3085$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Martin Kai"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Invitation to participate and build LPI Certification resource site.
>
> Cheers. LPICert Team

Try to include http://rute.sourceforge.net/
It contains LPI curricula and all the tutoring
material to learn linux from scratch to pass the LPI

best

-paul

--
Paul Sheer Consulting IT Services . . . Tel . . . +27 21 761 7224
Linux development, cryptography, installations, support, training

------------------------------

From: "paul AT obsidian DOT co DOT za" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:38:37 +0200

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:49:47 -0500

Sam Morris wrote:

> accurate

> your

> in-duh-viduals
> > >
> > > How does your preposterous .sig stop that happening?
> >
> > Simple.  I document their onerous behavior BEFORE they even
> commit it.
> >
> > Takes the wind out of their sails right quick, it does.
>
> This reminds me of a scene from an episode of The Simpsons.
>
>  Lisa: By your logic, I could say that this rock keeps tigers
> away!
> Homer: Really? How does it work?
>  Lisa: It doesn't work! It's just a stupid rock! But do your see
> any tigers
>        around here?
> Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock...

Other than the fact that there was a Cause-and-Effect response:
when I originally implemented this .sig, the flaming against me
came to a screeching halt.

Is any of this getting through your thick skull?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:50:41 -0500

Sam Morris wrote:

> accurate

> DOUBLE

> your .sig.

> in-duh-viduals
> > >
> > > You apparently would, or you wouldn't be antagonizing them in
> your .sig.
> >
> > Then why do you not see them doing so right now.
>
> Because they never did so in the first place?
>
> > The .sig does *NOT* antagonize them into flaming me.  Quite the
> > opposite...by documenting their behavior, it takes all the fun
> > away from them.
>
> All it does is cancel out the effect of the remaining 12 people
> who sill only post links to newsgroups rather than attaching
> binaries.

non-sequitor.

> --
> Cheers,
> Sam
>
> "All your base are belong to us" - Cats

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ooooopsss there goes another one.
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:52:24 +0000

> Borland, marketing wizards that they are, went on a media blitz for the
> soon to be released RAD port of Delphi to Linux (Kylix). Months I have
> waited in anticipation of this release. Now, I have been told that a
> 'professional' version of this product will cost $999. Almost twice what
> the Windows version costs. Am I going to purchase it as I had planned?
> Of course not. Not only because of cost, but because I can hear the
> LinZealots now "I don't want no stinkin Borland binary on my box!"

What ever makes you think all Linux users will never use proprieary
software. I, personally like the Free Software (tm) nature, so I can look
at the code and use it etc etc. How ever, that doesn't keep me from
paying (yes paying proper $$$) for sotware. I have Matlab for
example.

> Companies, in the traditional sense, will not sustain an unprofitable
> model for very long. They aren't quite as lemming-like as Amazon stock
> holders, and Linux newbies.

How are Linux newbies lemmings in a way thet Windows users aren't. As for
stock holder lemmings, I don't give a shit.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:44:49 +0200

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:55:50 -0500

Tim Hanson wrote:

> [...]
> > get? <G>
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Karel Jansens
> > ==============================
> > "Go go gadget linux." Zoomm!
> > ==============================
>
> --
>                 Double Bucky
>         (Sung to the tune of "Rubber Duckie")
>
> Double bucky, you're the one!
> You make my keyboard lots of fun
>         Double bucky, an additional bit or two:
> (Vo-vo-de-o!)
> Control and Meta side by side,
> Augmented ASCII, nine bits wide!
>         Double bucky, a half a thousand glyphs, plus a few!
>
> Double bucky, left and right
> OR'd together, outta sight!
>         Double bucky, I'd like a whole word of
>         Double bucky, I'm happy I heard of
>         Double bucky, I'd like a whole word of you!

It's slang like this that gives the general public the impression
        that all computer people are total dorks.

Give it a rest.

>                 -- (C) 1978 by Guy L. Steele, Jr.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Into the abyss...
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:57:45 +0000

In article <970vr9$r0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Masha Ku'Inanna"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Then what struck me about FreeBSD was that I get a beautiful, clean,
>> > stable installation of a core unix(-like) system, without strange
>>                                      ^^^^^^
>>
>> BSD is UNIX.
>>
>> -Ed
>
> Sure it is. I know it is. Most people familair with BSD and UNIX as a
> whole know it is.
>
> It was also acknowledged in that statement that some people prefer that
> it not be called UNIX because of some silly trademark battle a few years
> back, so they refer to the "-like" sufficx. Even FreeBSD shuns the
> direct assertation that they're 'UNIX(tm)' but leaves that up to the
> user to determine if that label makes that big of a difference.
>
> It doesn't.

Looking at the family tree makes BSD look like UNIX (tm). However, UNIX
or UNIX-like doesn't make a really big difference. It works very well. If
people are swayed by the name UNIX(tm) rather than UNIX-like, then they
probably shouldn't be speinding th money on a new computer anyway.

-ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox