From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How much do you *NEED*?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:06:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] rants on again...

> How many more examples are going to have to appear and go by to
> convince you that Linux is the right choice for your business
> and personal needs?

Because Linux's desktop has not caught up to Windows.

> If your a Windows user you face the following things.
>
> #1.  You have to pay for your software.
>      The price of your software is going up all the time.

It's not gone up, and it's not that expensive.

> #2.  Your Windows OS is unreliable.

True.

>      You can break Windows by installing a driver which
>      isn't ready for prime time.

You can break _any_ OS by installing a driver that isn't ready for prime
time. This is equally true of Linux.

>  Or how about just
>      running your favorite app for too long a period of time.

Depends on the application doesn't it?

>      Just forgetting to reboot your machine every couple of days
>      will cause it to crash.  And your paying for this insult
>      to your intelligence..  That is a shame.

Ah yes, my web server that ran for two months without rebooting is
looking at you with a curious expression. "When did I crash?", it says,
looking hurt.

> #3.  If your a developer for Windows, you end up having to join
>      the Microsoft Slave trade.  You have to certify and then
>      re-certify for your certificate every time Windows comes
>      out with a new OS or new application.  Microsoft can
>      DEEM your re-certification at *THEIR* whim!  And *YOU* have
>      to *PAY* or loose your certification.  And even if you *PAY*
>      and you *PASS* you can still be denyed your certification
>      as Microsoft has the final right to revoke it without reason
>      or cause.

I've never been certified by Microsoft. I'm a developer for Windows.

> #4.  Viruses in the form of VB scripts non-the-less!  Isn't it
>      amazing that Microsoft Windows has been sucessfully attacked
>      by over 100 different types of VB script viruses sent in thru
>      E-mails and *YET TODAY* Microsoft Corp has yet to admit a fix
>      needs to be installed to help prevent the damage.  They haven't
>      even admitted it's a problem!  How incredible.  And your the
>      stupid shit who's forking out the bucks for *THEIR* system...

That's easily solved. Switch off VB scripts or use something that doesn't
understand them. Your whining!

> #6.  Your OS is totally insecure.  If communist Chineese can
>      steal all the source code from Microsoft HQ in Redmond,
>      right under their fucking noses, then why on earth do
>      you think your checkbook is safe?  I mean, they stole
>      code from Microsoft for 4-6 weeks and were never discovered.

When did the Chinese steal all the source code?

How is my firewalled Windows 98 SE machine insecure? All the best tools
tell me they can't get in.

> Linux is the exact opposite.

Yes, it has a desktop that it still evolving.

> It's GPL'd so you can copy those CD's on every
> machine you have including work without fear of being thrown in some prison
> and owning somebody a 1/4 million dollars in fines.

What quality free software?

> It's uptimes have
> been measured in years not days.

Alledgedly.

> When an application dies in Linux the OS
> doesn't crash, just the application.

Is that a blanket statement? 'Cos I managed to completely hang Linux with
one application.

> Linux will run on hardware sucessfully
> and for long durations where Windows 2000 can't even get installed.  Linux
> is an extremely secure OS with patches for known security problems released
> in timely fashions, ususally well within 2 weeks of being reported.

Provided you install such patches, of course!

> You do not have to pay dues or be licensed to write code for Linux.
> No one can steal Linux as it's the property of the world so it's less of
> a target to attackers.

It's no less of a target to hackers, though, is it?

> And you are a total fool for continuing to use Windows.
> Pull your head out of your butt today and use Linux.

I'd rather use a decent desktop than the half baked one on Linux.

> Because it's stupid to use Windows  ---- ANYWHERE ------

Let me see... can I get everything I want on Linux? No, did I hear you
say? Can i ran a whole spread of games on Linux? Get a console did I hear
you say? Why bother with one of those?

Let me see, which platform is it that talented graphics developers are
working for in the UK. Is it Linux? No, its Windows, because its more
popular! I'm talking about Xara X (see http://www.xara.com/).

--
Pete
All your no fly zone are belong to us

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:07:54 GMT

In article <UkLk6.666$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> I've grown so tired of constantly correcting Charlies claims (such as his
> claim that HP has been shipping the Itanium for a year).  The biggest farce
> is his insinuation that Linux cannot be crashed by a bad device driver.

Quite ridiculous, but then you kinda expect it from "rent-a-rant"
Charlie-boy.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 05:10:08 -0500

nuxx wrote:

> "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > nuxx wrote:
> >
> > > No luck about it.  If you apply datacentre type methodologies in design
> and
> > > change control as you would with any Unix server, NT is very reliable.
> Some
> > > Oracle processes tend to leak memory which would eventually cause a
> problem
> > > but they are killed and re-started for cold backup purposes on my
> systems,
> > > so the OS stays up all the time.  Recent hardware used is stock Intel
> server
> > > boards with Adaptec hardware RAID.  No BSODs, no crashes, nothing
> special.
> >
> > Sorry, we simply have not found this to be the case.
> >
> It's probably best you leave it to people that know what they are doing.

So, what you're saying is that, in fact, Windows *IS* difficult
to administrate.

So much for "Windows is so intuitive, anybody can set it up and run it"

> nuxx.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 04:57:59 -0500

> Are you confused by English, with all of its rules and funny spellings? Do
> you know when you're getting your chain yanked, and do you often think
your
> getting you're chain yanked? Would you know the difference? Do apostrophes
> make you cringe?

I'll leave the search for irony to the reader.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who said NT was stable !
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 05:12:39 -0500

tony roth wrote:

> Creating a very stable nt4 system is quite easy (I have systems with
> terabytes of data on them with zero downtime in 2000).   When I walk into a
> site that's having problems with nt I first ask what sp are you running.  If
> I get anything beyond a deer in the headlights look and they say sp6a.   I
> then know at least they've done some of their homework.   I then challenge
> them to prove that sp6a has been maintained.  At this point I usually get
> the deer/headlights look and they ask me what I mean.   At least 40 percent
> of the time after I validate system files I'll find key files that have been
> overwritten by non sp6a files ie they've utilized the nt server disks
> without redoing the sp6a...
>
>     I'll admit the service pack system for nt4 sucks and it does cause alot
> of problems.  These problems can be eliminated by good systems management.
> Now good systems management should be a given but in this day and age of
> hurry up,  get it in production mentalilty things just don't get managed
> proberly!

Translation:

        Most MCSE's are idiots.
        Most NT admins are idiots.
        Windows is difficult to maintain.

> my .000000002 cents worth
>
> "Benjamin Stocker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On 21 Feb 2001 06:15:58 -0600, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

> etc.
> > >
> > >Nah, you just have to hire a competent NT admin, that's all.
> >
> > If you paint a dental stick with new color, it's still the same: It breaks
> > apart as soon as you bend it too hard. Or in other words: This is not a
> > question about competence. Even the best admin can't make a poorly
> designed
> > system better.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are todays computers 1000 times better than the original PCs?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:08:56 +0000

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 04:20:02 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Peter Hayes wrote:

> > Microsoft will be a footnote in history. Operating systems will be built
> > into the processor, which will be much more than just a CPU. It will
> > contain graphics, sound and network interfaces plus the ancillary ports
> > like speech and pen input. Since these hardware devices are tightly
> > specified, the OS will be streamlined to run these devices at peak
> > efficiency, rather than having to cater for a wide variety of architectures
> > and peripherals as at present. With open source OSs like Linux,
> > manufacturers can create the best environment for their hardware designs.
> > This will produce far more stable systems. Embedded OSs are inherently very
> > stable and robust.

> Embedded OS's???? Gawd that sounds like a Bill Gates wet dream. Imagine
> the day when Microsoft forces computer manufacturers to sell computers
> with Windows hard wired.

There's a complete bi-monthly journal dedicated to embedded Linux.

The days of M$ forcing anyone to do anything are long past.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 05:17:00 -0500

Reefer wrote:

> "Masha Ku'Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:973qo7$7dg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > A superior OS can make do with whatever hardware platform it is installed
> > on, and can utilize every ounce of power from that hardware, and not just
> > run with mediocre performance on greater hardware requirements.
>  >
> > Especially when a Linux/UNIX box at 133mhz can out-perform a P-II Win2k
> > server in terms of stability, uptime, and performance.
> >
> > Windows will never push hardware to its full potential. It is a superior
> > platform only when you want to bog down powerful hardware with incredible
> > bloat.
> >

> ah, but C'MON.....like i said before; this is the year 2001, and anyone
> running a 'puter with less than a PII 300 (or compatible) and 128 MB RAM in
> it, need some serious reality check, u cant wip a dead horse like that for
> ever ...but then again; Win2kpro works just fine with a P133, just make sure
> to have 'nuff memory in it...

Only an idiot relegates perfectly good hardware to the dustbin
just because some Asshole in Redmond, Washington decrees it so

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Linux Usage Linked to AMD Damage" - MSN R&D Division Customer Alert
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 05:26:06 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
>
> > Do you know what the really sad part about it is....it could actually be a
> > press release in the pipe line!
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
> >
> > "BillyG." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Customer Alert:
> > >
> > > As Chief Architect for MSN R&D, I must finally answer, clarify and perhaps
> > > offer appropriate solutions to the dangers involved in running Linux on
> > AMD
> > > processors.  Many concerned customers have written statements similar to
> > > the following: "Lately, I have heard many [... censored ...] things about
> > > linux in the news.  But, is it true that Linux can cause damage to AMD
> > > Athlon chips?"
> > >
> > > Yes, this certainly is the case.  That's why care and vigilance must be
> > > applied to the maintenance of AMD chips.  Go to
>
>         <<schnippage>>
>
> Don't laugh, but be sure you have silicone grease under your
> heatsinks and be sure your cooling fans are in top shape. And
> keep the operating environment cool too.

Thermal grease is better.  it has a lot of powdered metal in it
(like anti-sieze compound for spark plugs)

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:26:12 +0000

> For clues, here are the wierd errors:
> ---begin---
> /tmp/cca262191.o: In function 'main':
> /tmp/cca252191.o(.text+0x51): undefined reference to 'cos'
> ---end error---

Those are perfectly normal errors: you have no cos function. You need to
link against the maths library as well as #including the header.

gcc -lm ...

should do the trick.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 05:31:35 -0500

>         "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Why use if/else? A table lookup is the obvious way to do it. I once took
> >> over some sw that had to translate from ita2 to ita5. The programmer had
> >> used if/elsif/... to do it! I presume he was paid by lines of code. :-)
> >
> > In general, you need to be very careful with table-based translation
> > mechanisms to make sure that you can't access anywhere else than the
> > table in the process.  Sometimes (such as when working with EBCDIC or
> > ASCII) this isn't a problem as you only need at most 256 entries[*],
> > but more generally speaking it is a real recipe for trouble.
> >
> > I've seen too much broken software...  :^(
>
> I'm sure we both have. Isn't this what OOP supposedly helps with? You
> create a class which checks that you are within bounds. Being a
> non-OOP guy it is not difficult to check this even at the assembler
> level. All I'm trying to say is that if you use good programming
> techniques it doesn't matter what language you use. I think all
> programmers should learn assembler programming. You learn so much of
> how your sw interacts directly with the hardware and how important it
> is to check variable bounds. Perhaps they should start out entering
> programs via the console switches? It's a shame that modern computers
> don't have all these switches and led's anymore. :-)

And build some digital circuits with 7400 logic chips.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Amusing Aaron Kulkis Anagrams
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:35:06 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>    her behavior improves.
>
> D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>    ...despite (C) above.
>
> C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.

Your 'C' is out of order.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Into the abyss...
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:37:45 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete
Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> Nope, in Unix there is absolutely no way for a normal user to do this -
>> in order to do that to a system, you would need to have obtained root
>> access.
>
> Sorry, meant to say "do it as root".
>
> I did once try rm .* as a user not realising what it would do!

rm * won't do much, since it won't delete nonempty directories. For
disasterour results, rm -rf * as root should do.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 05:29:57 -0500

> >It's slang like this that gives the general public the impression
> > that all computer people are total dorks.
> >
> >Give it a rest.
> >>                 -- (C) 1978 by Guy L. Steele, Jr.
>
> No, its sigs like yours that give the general public the impression that
> all computer people are total dorks.

You'll be glad to know that you're BOTH right!