Linux-Advocacy Digest #454, Volume #32           Sat, 24 Feb 01 20:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ] ("Chad Myers")
  Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ] (J Sloan)
  Re: State of linux distros (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: How much do you *NEED*? (J Sloan)
  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited ("B.B.")
  Re: How much do you *NEED*? (J Sloan)
  Re: The Windows guy. (J Sloan)
  Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ? (J Sloan)
  Re: How much do you *NEED*? (Brent R)
  Re: Kulkis the newbie, its official! ("Adam Warner")
  Re: State of linux distros ("Reefer")
  Re: State of linux distros (J Sloan)
  Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ] (Peter da Silva)
  Re: State of linux distros ("Reefer")
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (Peter Hayes)
  Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ? (mlw)
  Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls. (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: State of linux distros (J Sloan)
  Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/ (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/ (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Something Seemingly Simple. (Dan Pop)
  Re: Something Seemingly Simple. (Dan Pop)
  Re: Where is suse 7.1? ("Mart van de Wege")

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:05:18 GMT

"Shane Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > "Shane Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Chad,
> > >
> > > We're still waiting for all this evidence about shoddy encryption in SSH
> > >
> > > Please enlighten us
> > >
> > > BTW, I've taken the liberty of cross-posting this to comp.security.ssh
> > > :-)
> >
> > I've already listed the exploits. They may have been patched, but how
> > many systems out there are patched? If SSH is so great, why then does
> > it have so many vulnerabilities?
> >
> > Why is SSH1 considered "fundamentally flawed" by its own makers?
> >

> Chad,
>
> The people who *really* know how ssh works have explained to you time
> and time again in detail where you are wrong, and why.
> To recap:
>
> YOU are the one alleging weakness and extreme vulnerability, YOU need
> to provide the evidence. BTW, your allegation was of shoddy encryption,
> not "fundamental flaws".

The SSH1 protocol had many failures and "flaws" and was therefore
shoddy encryption, or a shoddy implementation as a whole. There are
new vulnerabilities for SSH2 which suggests that SSH2 isn't all
that much better. The fact that they are patched is mainly irrelevant.
With other trusted security applications, the providers have a network
of notifications that notify consumers of flaws in their products
immediately and do everything they can to get the people to apply
patches.

With SSH, there are STILL MANY SSH1 installations and there doesn't
seem to be any effort or concern in the community to upgrade. This
concerns me greatly and it should concern you as well.

What's even worse, some of the people that work on the project
seek to insult and mock those who raise concerns.

Is this how security is treated in the Open Source realm? With
childish insults and assinine comments and no real concern?

-Chad

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:25:03 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Is this how security is treated in the Open Source realm? With
> childish insults and assinine comments and no real concern?

You've shown no concern, so this wouldn't apply.

Trolls and bozos are treated as such.

jjs

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:26:24 -0500

Reefer wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Only an idiot relegates perfectly good hardware to the dustbin
> > just because some Asshole in Redmond, Washington decrees it so
>
> hardware from the late 80's is not "perfectly good hardware"

Spot the stupidity.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How much do you *NEED*?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:30:27 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > I use Linux for gaming and most real work, windows
> > for when I have to edit a legacy word doc.
>
> I guess if you restrict yourself to a much shorter list of games then
> it's ok for you.

The list of available games for Linux is already
far, far longer than I have time for. Even when I
"restrict" myself to quake 3 arena and unreal
tournament, I am spending way too much time
playing games, and that's not to mention some
of the other games on my system, e.g. soldier
of fortune, etc.

I'd better not even get started on the Loki website,
way too much fun there.

But if you wanna play "my platform has more games
than yours", nintendo beats wintendo any day.

jjs

------------------------------

From: "B.B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:33:00 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[...]

@}: ) Of course, we have to build more prisons! The eduational system is
@so fucked up that instead of becoming normal productive members of
@society, most kids become career criminals. We *have* lo lock these
@poeple up somewhere!  }: )

   You know, if we go ahead and combine prisons orphanages, and schools,
we can save a lot of time.  (:

--
B.B.             --I am not a goat! [EMAIL PROTECTED] @airmail.net

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:31:08 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> It looks cooler, but a lot of KDE 2.0 apps crash a lot. The only stable
> one I found was KNode, and that one crashed once.

Yep, you'd best get kde 2.1 if you want stability.

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:35:03 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > > Oh pillock, you were the one that claim crashing apps don't harm the OS.
> >
> > Allow me to just jump in here for a quick reality check.
>
> Your reality may vary from mine.

Apparently your reality differs quite a bit from mine.

Of course, your reality points to a buggy distro...

> > Remember when I took the Pete Goodwin editor challenge?
> > Several of the editors crashed, but the OS just kept on
> > trucking.
>
> And mine hung the system. Did you expect the same results?

No, I expected my system to act exactly as it did,
but I actually went through the drill just for fun.

> > So, yes, it appears that in general, crashing apps have
> > absolutely no effect on the OS.
>
> But it is possible for applications (without crashing) to take down the
> OS.

?

I don't see this at all.

Perhaps a malicious "crash me" program, run by root?

You forgot one "ha".

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:36:45 GMT

mlw wrote:

> Bob Hauck wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:40:48 GMT, peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any "open source" software that can help me with the
> > > inventory and tracking ?  or
> >
> > You will probably want to use a real database rather than inventing some
> > file format of your own.  The best-known open databases are MySQL and
> > PostreSQL.
>
> Hands down no competition, PostgreSQL. Neither MySQL nor msql are up to the
> task. A factory environment would require transactional processing.

postgres is very complete, no question about that, but
mysql now has transactions and row locking abilities.

It's not the stripped down hot rod you remember.

jjs

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:39:58 GMT

J Sloan wrote:

> Brent R wrote:
>
> > Pete Goodwin wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Because Linux's desktop has not caught up to Windows.
> >
> > Well, the Linux desktop is a lot cooler than Windows. It's a lot more
> > configurable, but that's IMO of course.
> >
> > My main problem with the Linux console is that it's not as attractive as
> > the Window's desktop.
>
> Well, let's compare apples to apples. The console is
> 80x25 text, but Linux also has a graphical environment.
>
> > Reading aliased font all the time feels like I'm
> > back in the Windows 3.x era. GNOME/Enlightment is a little better than
> > KDE, and I heard they're in development for anti-aliasing.
>
> Ah, so you knew about X windows then - not the same as
> a console, by any means.

No, I know, I said console by accident.

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kulkis the newbie, its official!
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:43:59 +1300

Hi Aaron,

> Strange....I've been using Unix since before IRC was even invented.
>
> See "L" below.

Have you thought of having a URL for your sig and sticking all your
comments on a web site? Seems a good compromise to me. For example:

meow, billh, david casey, redc1c4, rauni, Enielle, Loren Petrich,
Knackos, Kook hunt, Jimmy Baker, Tammy Hahn, and Jet Silverman see here:
http://...frankly_its_lucky_I_dont_hate_you_too.html

------------------------------

From: "Reefer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:53:27 GMT

"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Spot the stupidity.

That would be u, using  a early 70:s OS like Linsux....

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:53:53 GMT

Reefer wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Spot the stupidity.
>
> That would be u, using  a early 70:s OS like Linsux....

Whoops, don't look now, but you've just lost
all credibility -

LOL!

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.dev.null
Date: 24 Feb 2001 23:51:33 GMT

In article <O6Xl6.65046$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The SSH1 protocol had many failures and "flaws" and was therefore
> shoddy encryption, or a shoddy implementation as a whole.

If you still claim this after the last thread on this subject, you are
either profoundly incompetent or simply lying. EVERY point you made was
authoritatively countered in mind-boggling detail, down to people actually
calculating the effort that would be required to exploit the vulnerabilities
described.

So, are you a fool or a scoundrel?

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: "Reefer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:09:43 GMT

"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Whoops, don't look now, but you've just lost
> all credibility -
>
> LOL!

Scared for the truth?...u penguistas are really pathetic...

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:00:45 +0000

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:20:43 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Byron A Jeff wrote:
>
> > It's about disposable income Aaron. Those who have it should give. Those
> > who don't should get help. It ain't fair in your world view. But life isn't
> > fair. Which is exactly my point.
>
> The only fair tax is every able-bodied adult pays the EXACT SAME AMOUNT.

But some are more able-bodied than others.

--

Peter

55°25"N  4°44'W

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:14:13 -0500

J Sloan wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> > Hands down no competition, PostgreSQL. Neither MySQL nor msql are up to the
> > task. A factory environment would require transactional processing.
>
> postgres is very complete, no question about that, but
> mysql now has transactions and row locking abilities.
>
> It's not the stripped down hot rod you remember.

This isn't the correct forum to debate this, but..... does MySQL have "commit"
or "rollback?" Without which it does not have "transactions." Does it preserve
transactional integrity, so other queries currently being processed do not see
changes being made, or does it lock up the system until a query has finished?

For instance:

If I start this update (lets assume the initial value in all the rows is 10):

"update fubar set field = 20;"

Execute the following query, BEFORE the above query is finished:

"select field from fubar where field = 10;"

What will happen?

Will MySQL lock the table until the update is finished, will it return a
partial list of records in fubar, or will it function function correctly and
return all the rows in fubar.

Now, what if I hit control-C to cancel the update? Will all the records in
fubar be 10, will some be 20 or will all be 20?

In postgres, the results of the first query are not visible until the
transaction has been committed, AND other queries can continue at the same
time.

In postgres, if you cancel the transaction, and none of the rows would have
changed.

PostgreSQL is an amazing database, MySQL is a toy.

--
The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time.
The terror of their tyranny, however, is alleviated by their lack of

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:12:14 GMT

>         "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Why use if/else? A table lookup is the obvious way to do it. I once took
> >> over some sw that had to translate from ita2 to ita5. The programmer had
> >> used if/elsif/... to do it! I presume he was paid by lines of code. :-)
> >
> > In general, you need to be very careful with table-based translation
> > mechanisms to make sure that you can't access anywhere else than the
> > table in the process.  Sometimes (such as when working with EBCDIC or
> > ASCII) this isn't a problem as you only need at most 256 entries[*],
> > but more generally speaking it is a real recipe for trouble.
> >
> > I've seen too much broken software...  :^(
>
> I'm sure we both have. Isn't this what OOP supposedly helps with? You
> create a class which checks that you are within bounds. Being a
> non-OOP guy it is not difficult to check this even at the assembler
> level. All I'm trying to say is that if you use good programming
> techniques it doesn't matter what language you use. I think all
> programmers should learn assembler programming. You learn so much of
> how your sw interacts directly with the hardware and how important it
> is to check variable bounds. Perhaps they should start out entering
> programs via the console switches? It's a shame that modern computers
> don't have all these switches and led's anymore. :-)

Well, led and switches had their point. You had a more direct feeling of
what was going on, you did learn to write efficient code, and all that
stuff.

But I remember also, from that time, assembling a source code with a two
pass assembler, when the only input device available was a 10 cps TTY
tape reader and puncher, and I'm not so sure I'd like to use it again...
:-)

More seriously: powerful instruments are very good to save time and to
provide a cleaner and re-usable code, but you can't use successfully a
high level instrument if you don't have a good knowledge of the low
level ones. OOP is very good, but when you need to create a new object,
or to derive another from an existing one, you aren't programming with
objects, you're programming objects instead, and you need a good
knowledge of the language objects are written into. And you can't have a
good knowledge of a language if you don't know the sort of machine code
which will be produced. Usually program bottlenecks are very few and
very limited. For 95% of the code you don't care. But the residual 5% is
the one which affects overall performance. You can't ignore the
resulting machine code.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:20:10 GMT

Reefer wrote:

> "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Whoops, don't look now, but you've just lost
> > all credibility -
> >
> > LOL!
>
> Scared for the truth?...u penguistas are really pathetic...

Your statement about a '70s OS' is just too precious...

Linux 1.0 was released in 1994 -

Microsoft has finally, with win 2k, taken some baby steps
towards things that Linux has had for years, like the ability
to change a network configuration detail without rebooting,
or a file system with hard and symbolic links, or per user &
per group disk space quotas.

The one area where microsoft is a little ahead is in the
cuteness of the GUI - they are almost at a macintosh
level, but not quite.

I have a win 2k box right here - it's cute in some ways,
but despite all the hype, it's no Linux killer!

jjs

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:30:44 -0500

Brent R wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> <snip>
> > One would think...but Microsoft actually achieves this low-level
> > of performance through high-school mentality spaghetti code and
> > good old across-the-board incompetance.
> <snip>
>
> No offense, but misspelling incompetence probably won't do your argument
> any good.

what if I put it in quotes?

> --
>
> Happy Trails
>
> -Brent
> =============================
> http://rotten168.home.att.net
> =============================
> ICQ# 51265871

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:31:31 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > These numbers were assigned within the industry to prevent confusion for
> > electrical engineers.  By merely looking at the first two digits of a
> > chip, you can tell which manufacturer is the "authoritative source" for
> > the logical function of any chip.
> >
> > 65 - Mostek
> > 68 - Motorola
> > 74 - Fairchild
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > 80 - Intel
>
> That was true, but after a while every man and his dog were making 74xx
> series chips, which were pin compatible with the origional ones (the 74xx
> series was the TTL general purpose logic chip series wasn't it?)

True.  But the 74 still identifies the authoritative source
for the original design.

> -Ed
>
> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pop)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: 25 Feb 2001 00:40:17 GMT

In <97828t$dt6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> For clues, here are the wierd errors:
>> ---begin---
>> /tmp/cca262191.o: In function 'main':
>> /tmp/cca252191.o(.text+0x51): undefined reference to 'cos'
>> ---end error---
>

>Those are perfectly normal errors: you have no cos function. You need to
>link against the maths library as well as #including the header.
>
>gcc -lm ...
>
>should do the trick.

It may or may NOT do the trick.  OTOH, gcc ... -lm *will* do the trick!

    hpplus05:~/tmp 3> cat test.c
    #include <math.h>

    int main()
    {
        return sin(0);
    }
    hpplus05:~/tmp 4> gcc -lm test.c
    /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
       sin (code)
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    hpplus05:~/tmp 5> gcc test.c -lm
    hpplus05:~/tmp 6> uname -a
    HP-UX hpplus05 B.10.20 A 9000/782 2013972810 two-user license

Reading the c.l.c FAQ is *always* a good idea, even if you *know* that
you're right!

Dan
--
Dan Pop
CERN, IT Division

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pop)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: 25 Feb 2001 00:41:55 GMT

In <978a64$r1q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking) writes:

>Thanks! Fun easier quesation. Why isn't it in degrees as is the standard?
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^
What standard?!?

Dan

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is suse 7.1?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:39:17 +0100

In article <978epr$m2k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> A perfect example of what Linux is all about for most people.
> Getting it to work. The challenge. The victory. The thrill.
>
> Correlate this with the diametrically opposed view (BS) on cola
> where we hear how their "grandmother" could install and use
> Linux.
>
> So, are you two saying you have no more computer literacy than
> your grandmothers? Or will you finally admit to the pervasive
> BS perpetrated in cola concerning linux's ease of use?

Well,

Actually I was commenting on Debian's old installation front
end, dselect, which has a rightfully fearsome reputation.
However any user who is smart enough to RTFM will know how to
avoid this particularly unintuitive program (for the
uninitiated, dselect presents all available packages, some 4500,
in a flat list, and also insists on installing all dependencies,
not only the required ones, but also the recommended ones. This
can be confusing to the newbie).
Also, as others have remarked, Debian is not an easy install,
nor was it meant to be. It is plain and simple, you'll always
have to sacrifice some power if you want simplicity, that's why
Windows is such a particurarly pathetic example of an Operating
System.

Mart
--
When the sun shineth, make hay.