From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:36:33 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> Yep.

> >> Law abiding citizens here were unarmed anyway because we don't have a
> >> gun culture, so under our new system, there are 20 less deaths by your
> >> reckoning.
> >
> > Post-handgun ban statistics contradict your argument.
>
> I don't care what the statistics say, the hand gun laws affected a tiny
> minority of the population anyway. Any spurious change will settle down
> just like it does everywhere else.

Translation:

Don't bother me with the facts...I'm too brainwashed to change my mind.

Maybe this will explain things more clearly for you:

"mark rand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"John Flanagan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:47:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter
>> Daniels) wrote:

>and

>> > So, if you haven't needed a "heavy duty" First Aid Kit, or a fire
>> >extinguisher, you don't need one. After all, there are Fire and
>> >Ambulance people, to do it all for you. You work on engines and heavy
>> >machine tools. So, I know you have had times when you desperately
>> >needed a "tool," like a lift, or wrench. Times when it could cost
>> >someone their life, or a *serious* injury, to not have it.
>>
>> Snip good description
>>
>> Nice way to put things and I agree.  Gun control is something that
>> really sounds good.... until you could really use a gun!
>>
>> John
>
>But what do you need them for?
>They won't protect your feet from falling objects (looks at steel toe capped
>boots on feet)
>They cant be used for driving screws (looks at screw driver in front of him)
>They don't brovide steady illumination (looks at 4 D cell Maglite torch in
>hall)
>They are no good in the vegetable patch (looks at spade and fork in garden
>shed)
>They are not very good at driving nails (looks at selection of hammers in
>shop)
>They are no use for cutting vegetables (looks at collection of knives in
>kitchen)
>They won't protect your head (looks at full face crash helmet with Lexan
>visor in hall)
>They can be used to kill people and mad dogs(looks at all of above)
>
>Mark Rand
>RTFM

Oddly enough Mark, each and every tool you mentioned  can and has been
used to kill people and mad dogs as well, so your analogy falls into
the dust. A firearm is no more no less than a tool, that has various
uses, from target shooting, to sport hunting, to self defense. There
are no big mysteries about firearms, they are simply a mechanical
device that is used to trigger a chemical reaction which ultimately
uses high pressure gas to propel a bit of metal out one end. Oddly
enough, there are other tools that do the same, and are far less
versatile.. heck, what's a nail driver, for example? They have a place
in society as you well are aware. Below is the text of a letter I sent
to a newspaper article writer, over her rather slanted reporting of
the State of Michigans recent Shall Issue law that was inacted. It
gives at least 2 good uses of firearms, and in neither case was anyone
hurt.

Here is the link to the original article:

http://detnews.com/2001/metro/0102/22/d01-191423.htm

and here is my response, emailed and posted to the comment section:

Your article on CCW, was forwarded to me. While your writing style is
commendable, your content and your emotional, biased (and one could
argue, ignorant) slant is not. Ma'am, you do not know of which you
speak. Your bias is obvious, and misplaced.
Ive had a CCW, issued in California, for nearly 20 yrs. California is
NOT an easy place to get a CCW as you can imagine. I am in a technical
field, and spend long hours on the road, in several states and large
cites. I carry a concealed weapon religiously.

While standing next to my car, in a convience store parking lot in
Fresno, California, about 10pm, after a long sales meeting and dinner,
I grabbed a cup of coffee, and was contemplating a long drive home
(125 miles). Im standing there, looking at a map, in a 3 piece suit. I
was approached by three young gentleman about late teens or early 20s.
One demanded a cigarette. I declined. He then pulled a knife and his
two friends pulled a knife and what looked like a piece of pipe,
demanded my wallet and my car keys. In spanish, the leader told his
followers he was going to cut me anyways to see what a big gringo
looks like bleeding in the parking lot (Oh..I do speak spanish a bit).
At this, I flicked my cigarette into the eyes of the leader and as he
flinched, I drew my legally carried semiautomatic pistol. Suddenly
they decided that no longer was robbing me a very good idea. Knowing
the criminal/juvinile justice system in California would probably let
these kids walk, I demanded that they disarm, then take off their
clothes and throw them on the roof of the convience store. After a few
well chosen comments in spanish, they did so, then I demanded that
they start running. They did so, Stark naked. I then called the police
anonomysly, reported where they were, and what I had done, then got on
the freeway and drove home. The dispatcher was laughing her butt off
as I related what had happened.
Happy ending. They did indeed plan on hurting me, and badly. Neither
they nor I got hurt. They learned a valuable lesson, that not all
citizens may be helpless targets, and may well think twice about
harming another person.

After making a late afternoon doctors visit, in Hanford, California,
to check on my stitches a week after a back surgery, my wife and I
were driving down a long lonely stretch rural hiway returning to my
home. I am on crutches, and can barely walk. This hiway had, at that
time had a number of people forced off the road, robbed and in two
cases, raped, and one woman was killed. A car pulled up besides my
small pickup, and attempted to force us off the road. For 5 miles they
tapped our bumpers, etc trying to get us off the road. They had
removed their license plates so identifying the vehicle was
impossible, other than make and color. My wife was in near panic mode
but still driving well evading them. I had her pull into the  left
lane, as I drew my large silver colored .45 automatic and rolled down
the passenger window, then leaned out and aimed it at the windshield
of the bandits car. I was determined that if they made one more
attempt to force us off the road (at 70mph btw) I was going to fire on
their vehicle, as they were indeed assaulting us with deadly force.
They saw my weapon, realized that they were about to have their career
ended and slammed on the brakes.  They stopped so fast, they fish
tailed and nearly went off the road. We continued home, called the
police and made a report. The vehicle was never found, until a year
later after several more rapes and robberies, they attempted to do the
same thing to another vehicle containing an off duty police officer.
He did fire on them, killing the driver and one other and wounding 2
passengers. An investigation proved these 4 individuals had been
responsible for at least 4 murders, countless robberies, a number of
rapes etc. It is clear, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that my being
armed, and ready and willing, prevented my wifes rape, and perhaps
both of us being killed. A very happy ending indeed.

I can relate several other personal examples of how my being armed
saved my life, or the life of another, but Im sure you really dont
want to hear about them. Or how my father, who does have a CCW issued
in Michigan, who owned a jewelry store in upper lower Michigan for 30
yrs, was confronted after a jewelry show in Detroit, and was forced to
draw his weapon to prevent several gentlemen from robbing him. Im
sure, that you also dont want to hear, about the citizens of Florida.
After the Shall Issue laws in Florida were passed, despite the doom
and gloom predictions of Gun Fights in the streets.. caused the crime
rate to plummet like a stone. (the predictions never materialized
btw). I imagine you remember the sudden spate of crimes against
foriegn tourists shortly after that? The several German and British
tourists whom were killed? As it turned out, in the few cases where
the perpitrators were caught, they had told the police that because
they didnt know who was now armed, they targeted those they knew
wouldnt be armed.. IE tourists driving rental cars. The rental car
agencies removed identifying stickers from their cars..and golly gee..
crimes against tourists fell as well.

I have had 5 instances in 20yrs where I had to draw my weapon.. in in
each case, it saved my life, or the life of someone else. I never had
to fire a single shot. BUT, the criminals in each case knew full well
that I was able, willing and prepared to use deadly force, in
protection of my self or someone else. You are aware, that Michigan
does already have a number of people with legal CCWs, correct? Have
you even bothered to contact the authorities about the stats regarding
the misuse of those CCWs? I imagine not, or you have found them to be
so rare, that you had to use examples in your story that had little or
nothing to do with the issue. Your emotional slant was typicle of
those with an anti-gun agenda.. all fluff and no substance. What does
a couple poorly trained kids fooling around with a gun have to do with
the issue? If I were you, I would be pushing gun safety training in
each school, from K-12.

 There are an enormouse number of guns in Michigan, (and in the USA as
a whole), its a hunters state.. and the refusal of most schools, all
around the country  to teach gun safety, is tantamount to refusing to
teach a child to look both ways crossing the street. Im sorry Ma'am,
but you are never going to get rid of guns, anymore than you can get
rid of drugs, so unless you teach kids what to do, as they do in
schools about drugs, or motor vehicles, or household chemicals..
accidents will happen. But happily.. the CDC stat show, that firearms
accidents are fairly rare. CDC stats show that more children drown in
5 gallon buckets than are killed with firearms. But you did know
that..right? Im awaiting your article against 5 gallon buckets with
bated breath. I suspect, given your bias, and your evident agenda..
that its gonna be a long long wait.

I would indeed highly recommend that you do a web search on Dr.John
Lott, and his peer reviewed book "More Guns, Less Crime" Go to your
book store, buy it, and spend a snowy day reading it. You just might
learn something. That book as never been sucessfuly refuted by ANY
anti-gun group and each and every one has tried.
But then.. as a journalist.. you perhaps dont want to learn or report
the truth, do you?

Mark Wieber
Taft, Ca.

"The practical definition of a bigot is a person who is arguing
with a liberal and winning. "

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:40:06 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Wrong.
>
> : Pipes REQUIRE multitasking.
>
> : Pipe are an INTER-PROCESS COMMUNICATION method....*NOT*
> : short-hand for system-generated tempfiles between seperately
> : run processes.
>
> Dos didn't even techncially have seperate one-at-a-time processes.
> By the CS meanings of the word, it had one process that lived
> forever, frequently replacing it's code with a new load from an
> EXE or COM file.

Oh god, that's sick.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:41:22 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >>How many civs do you know own enough weaponary to stop a mobile gun
> >>shelling you from 60 miles away?
> >>

> > Again, you're showing your mindset.  If the armed forces of a government
> > turned against the citizenry, the "mobile gun unit shelling you from 60
> > miles away" would be right in SOMEONE'S backyard, and if the armed
> > forces have declared war on the citizens, that someone would likely be
> > sympathetic to your cause.  In my country at least, there are almost 300
> > million people, and only a few million in the armed services.
> > Considering that so much of our infrastructure is supported by
> > civilians, and the country is so huge, I can speak intelligently as an
> > officer in the United States military and tell you that if we were to
> > try such foolishness, we would be righteously fucked...
>
> Yes, but the civs don't need handguns to do that.

Neither do you *need* electricity.

Shall we put it up for a vote?

> -Ed
>
> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:42:01 -0500

"." wrote:

> > > I can't seem to follow this logic...
> > >
> > > If I have an OS that uses up, for example, 10% of my CPU time to do its
> > > maintenance and scheduling and whatever, and then I upgrade to a
> > > faster machine and I get an OS that only uses 5% of my CPU time...  The
> > > OS hasn't CHANGED, it hasn't IMPROVED, but how in the hell has it lost
> > > any performance, and relative to what?
> > >
> > > If the OS's got SLOWER as the CPUs got FASTER we would have OS's that
> > > remained at the same level of relative performance, as long as we're
> > > talking about relative to the speed of the PC.
> > >
> > > Can you help me out with whatever I'm missing here?
> >
> > You need to run Win 3.1, then 95, then 98, then NT, then 2000
> > on the same hardware, and watch the performance go down.
>
> I'm fully aware of how shittily MS software runs [on old hardware].

Doesn't do all that great on new hardware, either.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:43:01 -0500

Nevin Liber wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> John Rudd  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >ZnU wrote:

> >> Nothing. And why should I need to change how I read news just for your
> >> sake?
>
> >Exactly.  Netiquette places the burden, in this case, upon the poster
> >and not the reader.
>
> In reality, that only works in polite company.  The actual burden is
> always on the reader (with the help of the reader's software).  Sad but
> true.
>
> >> Are you now being deliberately obnoxious? You've just posted a string of
> >> one line posts with your 38 line .sig.
>
> >Not to mention the lack of quote trimming.
>
> I'm not sure why you read AK's posts at all.  Besides being off-topic
> and irrelevant for the newsgroups he floods most of the time, his signal
> (amount of original material) to noise (amount of quoted material + signature)
> ratio is usually much less than 1%, and by the shear number of these
> posts he is literally screaming to us that he doesn't really have very
> important to say.  Certainly not something worth listening to; if it was,
> why hide the message in all that noise?
>
> It is quite apparent that he desperately trying to approach an S/N ratio of 0.
> Oblige him by not reading his posts.

Good guess...but not even close.

Try again.

> --
>  Nevin ":-)" Liber      <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     (773) 961-1620

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:43:53 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > These are the much same criteria my state uses before anyone is issued a
> > concealed-carry permit, and most states are equally strict, if they even
> > allow concealed-carry at all.
>
> It is not about concealed guns, but guns in general.
>
> > Tell me exactly WHY you think that I, and
> > people like me, should not be allowed to own and carry handguns??
>
> How can you guarntee that someone unbalanced does not buy a gun?

Can you guarantee that your gun-ban will keep guns out of the hands
of criminals?

a) yes
B) NO

No more questions, your honor.

> -Ed
>
> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.