From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:50:52 -0500

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
> >
> > Robert Stankowic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >Man,
> > >obviously you are too stupid to understand that usenet is an
> > >_international_ medium. Your stupid posts arrive at _my_ computer in
> > >_my_ country and I feel offended.
> >
> > Then
> > don't
> > read
> > them.
> >
> > >*plonk*
> >
> > Hey, you finally figured it out!
> >
> > Now, isn't that better than having everyone's right suppressed and
> > speech censored, just so you never have to exercise YOUR right to use
> > your head and delete the post or change the channel or whatever?
>
> Please drop these ludicrous accusations of censorship. Nobody's trying
> to censor anyone.
>
> Now, it's unfortunately the case that plonking is /not/ a
> comprehensively satisfactory solution in cases like Mr Kulkis's.
>
> This thread is posted to at least one technical newsgroup, and I
> wouldn't be surprised if comp.os.linux.advocacy has a technical side to
> it too.
>
> Also, it is self-evident that Mr Kulkis reads at least one of these
> groups.
>
> Therefore, it is not unreasonable to suppose that Mr Kulkis occasionally
> tries to provide technical assistance.
>
> We have already seen, by his inaccurate claims about the library versus
> the language, that he's not particularly good at this.
>
> If all the clueful people killfile him, who is left to read his articles
> and issue corrections to them, so that newbies are not led astray by his
> inaccuracies?
>
> Sadly, killfiling is too easy an option.
>
> The ideal solution is for Mr Kulkis to learn how to be a civilised adult
> human being. Unfortunately, it seems this is beyond his grasp. But don't
> worry; like all trolls, he'll eventually discover girls or motor-bikes
> or something, and get out of our hair. He's strictly a short-term
> problem.

You are taking all of this, and me, Waaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously.

Get a grip..

> --
> Richard Heathfield
> "Usenet is a strange place." - Dennis M Ritchie, 29 July 1999.
> C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
> K&R Answers: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/index.html

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: 27 Feb 2001 08:54:53 -0700

"Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Roy.Culley" wrote:
> > tcl is the bastard language from hell as far as statement terminator is
> > concerned.
>
> Obviously, I disagree.

I find myself using way too many eval statements when using tcl.  It's
pretty ugly that way (I haven't used it in about 3 years though, so I
suppose it could have changed in that time).

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:55:29 -0500
From: Clamchu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron is actually a nice guy!

meow wrote:

> Ok i take back the posts ive been sending about Aaron
> Im chatting to him on Icq and he seems a very nice guy
> I was bored so dont shoot me
> Trolling on here passes away the day
> NO more from me!
>
> Meow aka Woof aka Mooo

You stupid wanker.  It's only fitting you and Kulkis should get along;
you're both made of the same horse-shit material.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Subject: Re: Linux--First Impressions from a semi-newbie
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:56:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner) wrote:
>
>>All in all, if I had happened to have only hardware that was supported
>>under linux, I'd be in hog heaven.
>
>Yes.  If you cherry-pick components that are supported, you'll be
>fine.  Otherwise, you could be in for a nightmare.  They should put a
>big warning sticker on the outside of the box.

I just bought a standard AMDK6-500 with a cheap motherboard (that came with a
Winmodem) and every bit of hardware was supported. I didn't even check for a
list of supported hardware.

ian.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What license?
Date: 27 Feb 2001 08:56:31 -0700

Thomas Fyhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am about to start a game project for linux and have the following
> problem:
> All the code in the game will be open source, but the guy that makes the
> graphics (drawings) wants to have his copyright for the art he makes. Is
> there any way to make this work with the GPL license? Or should I choose a
> different license?
>
> Thank you for any help

All GPL code is copyrighted by their authours; it's what gives the
license it's power.  You can copyright your code/art and still license
it under the GPL.

The same is not true for public domain software.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: meow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:59:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> meow wrote:
> >
> > Ok i take back the posts ive been sending about Aaron
> > Im chatting to him on Icq and he seems a very nice guy
> > I was bored so dont shoot me
> > Trolling on here passes away the day
> > NO more from me!
> >
> > Meow aka Woof aka Mooo
>
> You stupid wanker.  It's only fitting you and Kulkis should get along;
> you're both made of the same horse-shit material.

Which hole did you crawl out of

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time for a Windows reinstall!
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:50:35 +0000

Aaron Ginn wrote:
> You do know that on UNIX a 100% full hard drive does not really mean
> 100%, don't you?  I've filled up numerous hard drives on UNIX writing
> files a lot bigger than 750MB (the size of the image file that Nero
> created). I've never had a problem with the system upon deleting the
> offending file.  Why does Windows suffer from this problem?  I've
> never heard of an OS that will fall apart when the hard drive is
> filled up.  If an OS can be rendered almost useless because a single
> app filled the hard drive, that OS is a POS.

I've blown up versions of Unix (specifically SunOS4) before now by filling
up the log device.  It turned out that the system wanted to log the fact
that the device holding /var was full, but couldn't because the device
holding /var was full.  Shortly after, all services wanting to write to
the log blocked solid due to the syslogd getting indigestion...  :^(

This was a long time ago though, and I've not heard of any modern Unix
with this problem.  Even the last release of SunOS4 didn't seem to
suffer from it, though that might have been because of the local
configuration, I suppose.

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- This may scare your cat into premature baldness, but Sun are not the only

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:00:54 -0500

Craig Kelley wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> > > You need to run Win 3.1, then 95, then 98, then NT, then 2000
> >                   ^^^
> >
> > You mean Lose 3.1, Lose95, Lose98, LoseNT, and Lose2000.
>
> That was almost funny *5* years ago.

I'm not trying to be funny...I'm merely promoting Truth.

> Now I have to killfile you again.  Please don't change your email
> address for a while.  (and grow up; lose the gigantic signature)
>
> --
> The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
> Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:01:26 -0500
From: Clamchu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kulkis: please trim the sig

Hey bastard, what the hell's up with that ugly .sig?  You are clearly a
bandwidth-wasting shit-head.  Honestly, how many of the people demonized
in that stupid sig are even around anymore?  So, I respectfully plead
that you trim all the wankers in that .sig.  And while you're at it, add
yourself.  Oh wait a second, if you add yourself, that'd cause some sort
of regenerative feedback to occur, which will over-load all of our
news-servers.

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:53:01 +0000
From: Richard Heathfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Richard Heathfield wrote:
> >
> > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> > >
> > > printf() WITHIN <stdio.h> is defined.
> >
> > Wrong. <stdio.h> declares and prototypes printf, but does not define it.
> >

> > > printf() in general is not defined.
> >
> > Wrong. The behaviour of printf is defined by the ISO C Standard:
> >
> >        7.19.6.3  The printf function
> >
> >        Synopsis
> >
> >        [#1]
> >
> >                #include <stdio.h>
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You make my point for me.

No, I do not. You have misunderstood. Why does this not surprise me?

We are discussing the C programming language.

In the C programming language, if you use the printf function, you are
/required/ to include <stdio.h>. If you use printf, and do not include
this header, you are no longer writing in C. You are writing in a
strange variant called "Kulkis C", which nobody with any sense would
like even to smell, let alone trust to do anything right. How printf is
defined in that language is of no interest to anyone but you, because
nobody but you uses that language.

As I said before...

> > If you fail to #include <stdio.h>, that doesn't mean printf isn't
> > defined. It just means there's no prototype in scope for it. Using a
> > variadic function without a prototype in scope invokes undefined
> > behaviour.

Learn to read for comprehension.

<52-line monument to ignorant irresponsibility snipped>

--
Richard Heathfield

From: "Keldon Warlord 2000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:05:34 -0800

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:47:28 -0700, Dave wrote:
> >On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:40:43 -0600, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >Amazing. MS has achieved the impossible - they've exceeded the US
> >Government in inefficiency! I mean, look at how much more Linus
> >Torvalds and his merry band have accomplished for practically nothing,
> >and here it takes MS "100's of millions or even multiple billions" to
> >create merely incremental improvements to thier sorry excuse for an
> >OS.
>
> No, Linus and friends certainly haven't accomplished it for "practically
> nothing". They are generous enough to volunteer their valuable time
> towards Linux development. The difference is not really that Linux is
> cheap -- the difference is that Linux is a gift. And a very valuable one.

...right...a gift. like somebody took a shit and wrapped it up and handed it
to you for your birthday...

--
"One by one the Penguins steal my sanity." (found printed on a T-shirt)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:04:04 -0500
From: Clamchu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I will now perform a neat trick

Watch closely:

Kulkis is a shit-head.

There.  A. Kulkis' .sig will now grow in size to at least 3 more lines.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil hunt)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: why open source software is better
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:26:18 +0000

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:25:53 -0500, David Masterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> David Masterson writes:
>>> As well as how much you pay.  The only problem is that, in the
>>> past, the maintenance fee for free software is (more often than
>>> not) $0.
>
>> The suits want someone to be contractually obligated to maintain the
>> software.  They need the paperwork to cover their asses with.  That
>> will cost you money.
>
>Two problems with this statement:
>
>* Suits are not dummies

Some are, some aren't. Like in any other job.

> -- they can learn new ways of doing things and
>  so may not require "contractual obligation" on any but a few pieces
>  of software.

True. However, consider that some (most?) managers care more about
making themselves look good than the welfare of the organisation,
so if cover-your-arse helps them do that, they will go for it, even if they
realise that open source would have been a better solution for the
company.

>* Some pieces of software are such that no one wants to step up and be
>  "contractually obligated" for it.  Many pieces of software become
>  useful to a company due to "internal" add-ons that people within the
>  company make.  External entities may not want to support this.

This is a good point.

--
*****[ Phil Hunt ***** [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]*****
"Mommy, make the nasty penguin go away." -- Jim Allchin, MS head

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil hunt)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:52:06 +0000

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:11:02 +1100, Craven Moorehead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I find this thread curious. Open source is better the closed ?
>
>What it REALLY means to most people is free is better then paying for
>something.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

NNNNN           NNNNN           OOOOOOOO
NNNNNNN         NNNNN        OOOOO    OOOOO
NNNNNNNNN       NNNNN      OOOOO        OOOOO
NNNNN NNNNN     NNNNN     OOOOO          OOOOO
NNNNN   NNNNN   NNNNN     OOOOO          OOOOO
NNNNN     NNNNN NNNNN     OOOOO          OOOOO
NNNNN       NNNNNNNNN      OOOOO        OOOOO
NNNNN         NNNNNNN        OOOOO    OOOOO
NNNNN           NNNNN           OOOOOOOO

No. Do I make myself clear?

You have totally missed the point of the argument.

>50 million people use Napster, how many would if they had to pay
>commercial rates for the songs ? 1-2 million MAYBE and they would be
>very choosy in what they downloaded.

Napster isn't open source. Napster has *nothing* to do with open source.

>What do you hear all the time ? Linux guys downloading the latest ISO
>of Linux, clogging up the net with downloads.
>
>Would they do it if they had to pay a fee ? No, most would not.

It just goes "thud" very loudly.

>All Linux has got really going for it is that it is free.

I've bought several boxed sets of Linux, costing GBP 20 to 50 each.
Have you ever tried downloading several CDs worth on a phone line?

>You can crap on about the "AUTHOR him/herself agreeing to give out the
>source" rubbish.

Since when has the truth even been rubbish?

> If everyone had to pay for Linux and the price was
>the same or more then Windows (the price of Windows could be very
>elastic if MS wants) it would be as dead as a Dodo from a popularity
>perspective.

1. Red Hat, Suse, etc, sell many boxed sets.

2. because of the "Microsoft tax", Linux often does cost the same as windows,
if you have a laptop for example

3. the cost of Linux or Windows is typically a lot less than the cost
of the computer that it runs on

So, your argument is complete and utter bollocks.

The only question that remains, is why are you talking so much crap.
Is it:

(a) because you are trolling

(b) because you are stupid

(c) because you are Bill Gates

(d) because your MSFT shares have gone down in value (in which case
I say: good, I hope you go bankrupt)

(e) because you decided to buy LoseYou or one of MSFT's other
shitty products, are having Blue Screens of Death all the time,
are plagued by upgrade treadmills and gratuitous incompatibilities,
and subconciously feel a need to justify your wrong decision

>The only really bad thing about Windows is that it costs money.

Idiot. See above.

You really are a contemptable piece of slime, aren't you?