From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Now we know why Allchin was tweaked!
Date: 5 Mar 2001 11:13:53 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Solaris is also based on GPL software.  There's more GPL'd code in Solaris
: than there is in Windows.

Any software with _one_ line of GPL code contains more than Windows. This
H'Day World has more GPL code:

@include stdio.h

/* GNU G'Day World proggie. Released under the GNU Public License*/
main()
{
printf("G'Day, world!");
}

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.microsoft.sucks
Subject: Re: Crimosoft will get off scot-free
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 06:22:12 -0500

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> Tim Hanson wrote:
>
> > I don't think that is the "threat" he was addressing.  His argument was
> > with taxpayer supported software and the GPL.  He was saying, in effect,
> > "Our company pays taxes to support the creation of software we can't
> > fold into our products."  This refers to, among others, the Beowolf
> > project, which was developed with the at least in part by NASA, but
> > which Microsoft can't stea^H^H^H^H use because of the license.  He was
> > saying that since Microsoft dollars fund NASA through taxes, Microsoft
> > ought to be able to reap the benefits.
>
> FWIW, the Beowulf code would be useless to MS, because it won't run with
> Windows.  (Actually, parts of it might, but the kernel hacks definitely won't.)
>
> If they wanted to they could create a me-too that *would* run with Windows,
> because the GPL is a license to the code, and nothing else -- the GPL doesn't
> patent the idea.  They would just have to write their own code.  (Though I
> suppose it's possible that someone did patent the Beowulf system.  Anyone know?)
>
> What has MS upset is that even if they did come out with a Windows-based
> BeoClone, not many people would use it.  Who wants to pay for hundreds of W2K
> licenses (plus the extra BeoClone license), and then still have a system that
> runs slower because of W2K's bloat.  (Yes, trolls, it's possible to build a
> bloated Linux system too.  But what's important here is the ability to build a
> customized non-bloated system, which Linux offers and MS doesn't.)
>
> I don't know exactly what JA was complaining about, because he and other MS
> execs are apparently prone to shooting their mouths off sans aforethought
> (contrary to popular opinion, not everything spewing out of Redmond is part of
> some master plan designed by some infallible genius).  But what's actually
> hurting MS is the fact that GPLware is free (and thus can't be undercut by
> bundling), not associated with a company (and thus can't be bought out or driven
> to bankruptcy), and it yields products that are constantly forking and mutating
> to give more and better products.
>
> Microsoft's traditional "crush-kill-destroy" strategy won't work against
> GPLware, so now their only recourse is legislation.  (Actually, their
> "value-added" recourse is still there, as it always has been, but they
> apparently have religious qualms against relying on it.  It's Capitalism's
> greatest shame that a company sitting on a pile of gold the size of MS's has to
> compete by destroying the competition directly, rather than actually generating

Evil people will always exist, regardless of your economic system.

The difference is...in capitalism the merely greedy (but not evil) have
good motivation to make positive contributions to society.

But that fact that Bill Gates was born an asshole doesn't say anything
about capitalism....he would be an asshole regardless of the economic
system...which says MUCH about him, and nothing about capitalism.

> a better product.  I suspect I could have rounded up about 1000 associates and
> produced a pretty darn fine suite of products from scratch within a couple of
> years, if I had the money that MS spent on marketing alone last year.)
>
> At any rate, it's certainly in JA's best interest if governments buy MS trash so
> he and his cronies can pocket the money, rather than letting those governments
> use stuff that they get for free (and often even give back in improved form).
>
> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: 5 Mar 2001 11:25:16 GMT

J Sloan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I hate rebooting, that's one reason I like Linux so much.

: To get rid of the japanese, try typing "reset" in the terminal.
: It should reset the screen.

It's nice to know that only with knowable operator error does Linux ever fuck
up, like catting a binary by mistake and the japanese. (like trying to cat a
".doc" file in a lame format)

But Linux doesn't crash for no knowable reason.

: Same here - I used to do windows programming, and my
: finger got sore from having to press the red button so much.

I don't have that callous becuse I have used Linux for 7 years!

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.microsoft.sucks
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 06:34:23 -0500

Tim Hanson wrote:

> "Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:
> >
> > Tim Hanson wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think that is the "threat" he was addressing.  His argument was
> > > with taxpayer supported software and the GPL.  He was saying, in effect,
> > > "Our company pays taxes to support the creation of software we can't
> > > fold into our products."  This refers to, among others, the Beowolf
> > > project, which was developed with the at least in part by NASA, but
> > > which Microsoft can't stea^H^H^H^H use because of the license.  He was
> > > saying that since Microsoft dollars fund NASA through taxes, Microsoft
> > > ought to be able to reap the benefits.
> >
> > FWIW, the Beowulf code would be useless to MS, because it won't run with
> > Windows.  (Actually, parts of it might, but the kernel hacks definitely won't.)
> >
> > If they wanted to they could create a me-too that *would* run with Windows,
> > because the GPL is a license to the code, and nothing else -- the GPL doesn't
> > patent the idea.  They would just have to write their own code.  (Though I
> > suppose it's possible that someone did patent the Beowulf system.  Anyone know?)
> >
> > What has MS upset is that even if they did come out with a Windows-based
> > BeoClone, not many people would use it.  Who wants to pay for hundreds of W2K
> > licenses (plus the extra BeoClone license), and then still have a system that
> > runs slower because of W2K's bloat.  (Yes, trolls, it's possible to build a
> > bloated Linux system too.  But what's important here is the ability to build a
> > customized non-bloated system, which Linux offers and MS doesn't.)
>
> Allthough I agree with you, I was using Beowolf as an example only.
> Incidently, the Microsoft clustering solution goes all the way up to
> (brace yourself) 32 nodes, at only $3,000 per node.  You work for
> government?  Want the price on toilet seats?

The high-priced toilet seats was a propagandistic smear against the
military purchasing system.

Military production contracts are kind of weird...during most of
a long production run, the government pays the contract with the
stipulation that the supplier deliver a certain number of units
with a plus/minus margin of error.  This continues until the last
payment of the contract.   If the manufacturer has not delivered
all of the contract yet, then you might get several months of
deliveries "purchased" on the last payment...which would make the
parts look rediculously cheap (in the case of the toilet seats,
they would come out appearing to be 30 cents apeice, or something,
and then the press would have been whining about how our aircrews
are forced to spend 16+ hours on bombers with substandard toilet
seats, making them more irritable and thus more likely to start
a nuclear war.

Conversely, if the manufacturer is AHEAD of schedule, then the
remaining payments on the contract are made in one lump sum for
the small partial lot which finishes the delivery of the contract.

In this case, you end up with several month's payment for a
partial lot.

Also, there are other things:  The designers of the aircraft in
question did NOT design the airplane around the toilet.  Anybody
familiar with military vehicles knows that creature comforts are
an afterthought (if even considered at all).  My guess is that
there was a clearance consideration which prevented the use of
toilet seats of standard shape and size, which mandated that the
manufacturer tool up the factory for a short-run of special-sized
toilet seats.

In that event, and it's YOUR decision, which would you do?
a) tell the aircraft manufacturer to redsign the airframe
   (which means another several MILLION dollars in costs),
or
b) use a special-made toilet seat, and get into production,
thereby avoiding costs which would amount to TENS OF THOUSANDS
of dollars for a trivial problem.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows...
Date: 05 Mar 2001 11:39:30 GMT

On Sun, 04 Mar 2001 23:02:35 +0000,
 pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Terry Porter wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 04 Mar 2001 14:49:29 +0000,
>>  pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >In many respects Unix is amateurish.
>> The use of emotionaly negative phrases won't help your argument here.
>>
>> > Toolkits, printing subsystems and
>> >GUI all lack behind at the moment.
>> Which GUI, there are at least 22 Linux GUI's, are you aware of this ?
>
>No I've only been using Linux for about 2 years.
This should be sufficient time to discover the diverse range of GUI's avail
for Linux ?

Unless one is only using Linux as a server?

>> Which printing subsystem, we have the BSD, and Cups, which one do you mean?
>
>Good point. Which indeed. That _is_ indeed the problem.
Nope its called 'diversity', 'progress' and 'choice'.

>> Does the term 'lack behind' accurately describe a GUI thats natively able
>> to do *remote gui*, whereas Windows, without 3rd party apps,*cannot* do this ?
>
>Cheap shot. You should know that I am talking about HCI.
HCI ?

>> > Of course things are changing FAST
>> >and great programming toolkits are now available (read GTK+).
>> GTK has been available for years now, its not new.
>
>Gnome was not. Components were not.
You used GTK+ as your example.

>> >You are only demonstrating that you don't understand windows are brand
>> >it stupid. I am not convinced that it is Windows that is.
>> Course not, its the user thats stupid,as always ... right?
>
>In this case I'll leave you to make up your closed mind.
Pot kettle black.

>> >Of course windows is restricting in MANY ways - but this gibberish above
>> >just goes to show how some Linux users are absolutely blind to the good
>> >points in the Windows OS.
>> Name just ONE?
>
>OLE, COM (DCOM), ActiveX, DirectX, Driver support, Software support, UI
>consistency.
I cannot comment on the first 4, because they are not something I have any
experience with. "Driver Support" and "Software support" are meaningless without
any further expansion. However the last example is plain wrong.

One example should do, but if you need more, Ive a few more I can post.

Windows95 is replete with inconsistencies that cause confusion and frustration.
The My Computer folder is one such example. Microsoft considers it a "special"
folder, and therefore unlike all other folders, the user cannot add files or
folders to it, or remove objects from it.

There are several such "special" objects in Windows95, such as icons that
cannot be removed from the desktop, and windows that do not support
drag-and-drop. In interface design terms, "special" means "inconsistent"
and "undesirable".

>> > In contrast Linux is a fanastic OPEN system -
>> >but before you pat yourself on the back - just remember that is still
>> >crap in many areas and until these get properly solved then you'd better
>> >not knock "products" that do solve these problems for "normal" users.
>> Just how well they 'solve' these problems, is a subject open to much
>> conjecture.
>

>Then explain why people use them?
I think the DOJ used words like 'preditory business practices' ?

>> >They may not be GPL - but they do work.
>> Please define 'work' ?
>
>Go read a dictionary.
I did, here are some of the results, btw I used the Linux Wordnet GUI to do
this on-line, its so very easy with linux :)

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
1. Exertion of strength or faculties; physical or
      intellectual effort directed to an end; industrial
      activity; toil; employment; sometimes, specifically,
      physically labor.

            Man hath his daily work of body or mind Appointed.
                                                  --Milton.

   2. The matter on which one is at work; that upon which one

      spends labor; material for working upon; subject of
      exertion; the thing occupying one; business; duty; as, to
      take up one's work; to drop one's work.

            Come on, Nerissa; I have work in hand That you yet
            know not of.                          --Shak.

Hope this helps ?

I have found that the term 'works' is much bandied about on COLA, mainly
by Windows users, who lacking the necessary energy, patience, or knowledge
use this term in abundance, to explain their blind faith in this OS.

>> Does a virii infested pc 'work' ?
>
>You are being stupid.
Your intelectual responses, are underwhelming me, at a rapid rate.

>> Does continual lockups, and re boots 'work' ?
>
>You are avoiding the _real_ issues.
How so, you said 'they do work', I pointed out that this term is meaningless,
and that the 'do not always work'.

Perhaps the 'real issues' are not the same to you and I ?

>> Do continual upgrades, staff re-training, license fees and cal's 'work' ?
>
>Ask your company. What has this got to do with the context of this
>argument?

I asked myself (self employed).

This is another example to show you that the term 'works' is ambiguous.

>> Your post contained lots of feel good phrases on behalf of Windows, but
>> little substance.
>
>Well read this and comment. I can see now what your typical attitude is.
>The red mist is strong in this one.
Red mist ?

> If you read my comments in context
>then you would understand that I am a user of both Linux and Windows, so
>I say these comments with the point being to show that all is not evil
>that M$ has done.
I dont recall seeing the 'evil' word mentioned once in the post that I replied
to ?

> Open your mind to ideas that are good and everything
>will improve.
Please try and resist the tremptation to patronise me, I'm 46 years old, and no
newcomer to MS, Windows, or Linux.

 Keep your red mist and be stuck in the past.
This comment is interesting from one who advocates a closed, proprietary,
and unstable operating system.

Typical Wintroll rhetoric ...sadly.

Terry

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 06:44:49 -0500

Lars Träger wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Lars Träger wrote:

> > > So some versions/distributions of Linux are not a properly working OS.
> > >

> > But UNLIKE Windows, those linux distributions are PROPERLY labelled as
> > 'development' versions....NOT "ready for prime time" like M$ does.
>
> Suse 6.0 is not labled a "development version", more importantly it
> isn't. Still I know of one app that has a bug which will kill the system
> a few minutes after it is encountered (and the app isn't killed by
> hand). Ready for prime time my ass.

strange that you won't mention what this bug is.

why is that?

> Lars T.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 06:45:37 -0500

J Sloan wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
> > US army *admits* to 60mph.  (with the speed governor left intact).
> >
> > My bet is that it's near 100 mph....or faster than any driver can
> > actually drive the thing without shaking himself into a giant
> > ball of bruises.
>
> I suppose that's possible, given that the tank is powered
> by a healthy jet engine.

having seen them operate in the field...:-)

> jjs

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Windows Owns Desktop, Extends Lead in Server Market
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 06:47:56 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : Bloody Viking wrote:
>
> : > Sadly, the virus coder fuckwits are helping the Linux cause, and a deregister
>
> : What's so sad about that?
>
> The sad part is that the virus coders are criminal in nature. We can sure use
> advocacy, but these loose cannons we can do without. I'm all in favour of
> Linux, but the end does not justify the means that virus coders have chosen.

small-time criminals attacking Mafia$oft...what's so bad about that.

[You think these fuckwits care about Linux?  They're merely doing EXACTLY
what we tell M$-droids to beware of...M$ products' lack of security]

> There is such a thing as a moral high ground, and that is more important than
> advocacy of virus coding.
>
> That said, I have to admit that the concept of a future "deregister" virus is
> pretty funny. Given the Windows security holes big enough to drive a carrier
> battlegroup through, the virus is inevitable. SOME fuckwith will code it, with
> or without virus advocacy.
>
> : If M$-users suffer from EXACTLY what we have been tirelessly warning
> : them about...well, then *FUCK* them.
>
> Easy to get that attitude. (:
>
> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.