From: Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP.
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:50:45 -0700

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 04:29:38 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Brian Rourke wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:21:48 -0700, Brian Rourke
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> *Snip*
>>

>> >The install fails right after the language, keyboard and mouse steps,
>> >when it's time to format the partition.  This occurs at slightly
>> >different points in the Red Hat and Mandrake installation programs.
>> >The error message is (I'm paraphrasing) that no valid devices were
>> >found on which to install filesystems.  It says I should consult
>> >hardware information.
>>
>> Here's some more of my information:
>>
>> Gateway E4200-800 PC
>> Intel Pentium III Processor and Motherboard
>> ATI Rage 128GL 32MB AGP Video Card
>> 128 MB RAM
>> 30GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA hard drive
>> Ultra ATA Controller for Windows
>> Toshiba DVD/CDROM drive (seems to work OK with the installation
>> program)
>>
>> My hard drive is partitioned in the following way:
>>
>> Drive C: (primary)      8079 MB (FAT32)
>> Drive D: (ext)  10234MB (FAT32)
>> Drive E: (ext)  5112MB  (FAT 32)
>> Drive F: (ext)  5151MB  (FAT 32)
>>
>> I used the PartitionMagic utility to create a 2GB Linux partition on
>> C: drive, which is the first drive on the disk.
>
>As other's have said, it's only a C drive according to Windows. And all
>your BIOS cares about is the first 1 MB (I think) of space where the OS
>boot information is stored. Also, according to your partition info you
>have no ext2 partition which would cause a problem installing Linux.

If this is the problem, and it makes sense that it is, why oh why
don't these manuals simply say that one needs an ext2 partition at
that point on the drive, and then maybe even suggest a way out of the
problem?  Am I nuts, or would that be a sensible thing to do?  Or
maybe it's just assumed that everyone already knows...

>You didn't use the PM utility that came with Mandrake did you? It
>usually creates a partition *after* your FAT32 partition, which is
>usually beyond the 1024 cylinder mark. You need to get a utility to make
>a /boot partition before Windows (the full version of PM will move
>Windows up) to have it boot correctly or you could boot it from a
>floppy.

Yes, that's what I used.  I guess I'll have to repartition the whole
thing or but the full PM.

Thanks a lot.  You've been really helpful.

Brian

The late spring sunshine flooded,
like a bursted tepid star,
the pink Boulevard.  The people
beneath crawled like wounded insects
of cloth.

Wyndham Lewis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Date: 26 Mar 2001 06:43:08 GMT

Brent R ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: No the Mandrake graphical installer will just abort before installation
: if you're attempting to boot beyone 1024 cylinders.

I've never experienced this myself, but I find it hard to believe that it
won't even get to partitioning.  You'd think a failure before doing
anything with the disk would indicate that...it can't access the disk.

: Is this common? I've never heard of Linux not being about to detect a
: controller. Maybe he's mistaken and he has SCSI?

I've never experienced myself, but I seem to remember hearing something
about certain UDMA/66 controllers that don't fall back properly.

: Which is why Linux companies are not doing too well lately. They cater
: to the ubergeeks which is probably less than 2% of the general PC
: consumer market.

That's not my impression.  Mine is that they're trying to make things look
prettier and prettier, while failing to make things work better.

Of course, this does not apply to Debian, or, from what I hear, its
derivatives (but just look how well Stormix did).  :)

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \

------------------------------

From: Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:53:21 -0700

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:17:36 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Brian Rourke wrote:
><snip>
>> I have a primary partition, and an extended partition with three
>> logical drives on it.  All of them are formatted FAT32 for Windows,
>> and only the primary partition has programs on it, Windows and all of
>> my software.  I'm not sure how to figure out where the programs are on
>> the drive, sorry.
>
>In the installation program supplied with Mandrake there should have
>been some kind of graphical representation of whether your ext2 was
>installed before or after your FAT32 partitions.

The install fails before any partitions are defined.

From: Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:58:03 -0700

On 26 Mar 2001 06:43:08 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David
Steinberg) wrote:

>Brent R ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: No the Mandrake graphical installer will just abort before installation
>: if you're attempting to boot beyone 1024 cylinders.
>
>I've never experienced this myself, but I find it hard to believe that it
>won't even get to partitioning.  You'd think a failure before doing
>anything with the disk would indicate that...it can't access the disk.
>
>: Is this common? I've never heard of Linux not being about to detect a
>: controller. Maybe he's mistaken and he has SCSI?

Nope, IDE>

>I've never experienced myself, but I seem to remember hearing something
>about certain UDMA/66 controllers that don't fall back properly.
>
>: Which is why Linux companies are not doing too well lately. They cater
>: to the ubergeeks which is probably less than 2% of the general PC
>: consumer market.
>
>That's not my impression.  Mine is that they're trying to make things look
>prettier and prettier, while failing to make things work better.

Yep, you said it better and more succinctly than I did.

>Of course, this does not apply to Debian, or, from what I hear, its
>derivatives (but just look how well Stormix did).  :)

Sorry to butt in...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 26 Mar 2001 06:48:34 GMT

Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, with people like you it's obviously in good hands.  I'll just
> point out that The Church of Scientology is also doing very well, and
> I hope you're proud to be doing your best to keep your little sect a
> secret.  Lots of people don't understand _Dianetics_ either, but that
> doesn't make them morons.

Ah, the truth comes out.  You're a scientologist are you?

I dont talk to clams.  Here ends the volley. :)

=====.

--
"The city's all wrapped up in plastic like an electronic cocoon;
if you lay in the street you can hear it humming"

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
soc.singles,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:52:51 +1000

yes but the pentium specific part is not the same as pentium pro optimised.
486 is diffrent from a pentium pro or pentium and so if ther was specific
code
it in theory wouldn't run on a 486. eg mmx instructions in latter pentiums.

news:3abe50b3$0$48780$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 26 Mar 2001 06:51:04 GMT

FM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Really? I didn't know that. Honestly I've only used BeOS literally 3
>>> times, I was offering it as a suggestion.
>>
>>> Incidentally, what is BeAI?
>>
>>Its the operating environment that apparantly all forthcoming Sony
>>entertainment hardware will be running.  They just signed a huge contract.

> Just for the record, it's BeIA, presumably for "Information Appliances."

My mistake.

=====.

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:54:52 GMT

Brian Rourke wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:17:36 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Brian Rourke wrote:
> ><snip>
> >> I have a primary partition, and an extended partition with three
> >> logical drives on it.  All of them are formatted FAT32 for Windows,
> >> and only the primary partition has programs on it, Windows and all of
> >> my software.  I'm not sure how to figure out where the programs are on
> >> the drive, sorry.
> >
> >In the installation program supplied with Mandrake there should have
> >been some kind of graphical representation of whether your ext2 was
> >installed before or after your FAT32 partitions.
>
> The install fails before any partitions are defined.
>
> Brian
>
> The late spring sunshine flooded,
> like a bursted tepid star,
> the pink Boulevard.  The people
> beneath crawled like wounded insects
> of cloth.
>
> Wyndham Lewis

OK, arrgh... if you really want Linux, forget the instructions and put
the Mandrake install CD in the drive, reboot your computer, go into bios
and make sure that your CDROM is the first boot device. Upon exiting
BIOS the install program should load automatically when it "boots" your
CD. Just please make sure and backup anything important in Windows(!!!),
and remember to defrag first. I think that inside the installer is a
repartitioner step. Just remember to NOT mount your Windows partition as
'/' (!!!) and either make a boot disk inside the program or use the one
that came with the distro, and use that. You will not be able to use
LILO and for now you'll have to boot Linux from a floppy.

Depending on how deep you go into it, a work around may become apparent.
--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FM)
Date: 26 Mar 2001 06:05:15 GMT

Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 26 Mar 2001 02:10:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
>
>>Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> On 26 Mar 2001 01:01:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>>> At least I can console myself, in my ignorance, that I am not the kind
>>> of shameless usenet coward who hurls insults from behind a mask of
>>> anonymity.
>>
>>As ive said dozens of times, you ignorant turd, I do not hide behind a
>>mask of anonymity.  It isnt rocket science to figure out exactly who
>>I am.
>
>Dozens of times to me?  I don't think so.  Have you been hearing
>voices in your head again, schizo-boy?  Yes, you do hide behind a mask
>of anonymity in so far  as you don't sign your posts.

That you consider "Brian Rourke" less anonymous than "." doesn't
change the fact that your email address, not your alias, is the
key to your identification. Practically speaking from my point of
view, you are just as anonymous as he is, insofar as I don't know
which Brian Rourke (if any) wrote what you posted.

Dan.

--
Love is the answer; but while you are waiting for the answer, sex
raises some pretty good questions.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Kulkis not Chad, Gates (was Re Unix/Linux Professionalism)
Date: 26 Mar 2001 06:57:38 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "." wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Is . your first name or your last name?
>>
>> Neither.  And as many dozens of people have found, my identity is absolutely
>> no secret.

> Then why not just cut the crap and put your name to your words?

Because, kulkis, I have used this moniker (or very simple variations thereof)
on usenet for ten years.  It makes it very easy for people who know me to
get in touch.  I do have another, blatantly public moniker that I use for
professional purposes.  COLA is not a professional pastime for me, and I
shall not associate my professional relationships with anything herein.

> Or would that lead to having to publicly acknowledge your bullshit.

Catch me in a lie.

You've been caught in easily a couple of dozen.

Go ahead, catch me in one.  I'm waiting.

=====.

From: Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:11:40 -0700

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:54:52 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

*snip*

>OK, arrgh... if you really want Linux, forget the instructions and put
>the Mandrake install CD in the drive, reboot your computer, go into bios
>and make sure that your CDROM is the first boot device. Upon exiting
>BIOS the install program should load automatically when it "boots" your
>CD. Just please make sure and backup anything important in Windows(!!!),
>and remember to defrag first. I think that inside the installer is a
>repartitioner step. Just remember to NOT mount your Windows partition as
>'/' (!!!) and either make a boot disk inside the program or use the one
>that came with the distro, and use that. You will not be able to use
>LILO and for now you'll have to boot Linux from a floppy.
>
>Depending on how deep you go into it, a work around may become apparent.

Thanks for the help.  This looks like another thing that might work,
especially if all else fails.  I'm going to give a good look to all of
these other recommended distributions first.

Thanks a lot for all of your time and effort.  I appreciate it.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:03:56 -0500

GreyCloud wrote:

> <Great big Snip>
> To the point now:
>
> I'm sorry, but my past experience with all of microsoft products since
> the original IBM PC to current was always full of disappoints.  It was
> always "Almost could get it done but its always something else getting
> in the way preventing me from getting my work done" experience.  Win3.1,
> Win95, Win95b, Win98, & Win98SE ... the hype I hear from moving up from
> one version to another has always been the same "You'll work smarter,
> faster and better".

At the same time that the lower the productivity by removing the
"recorder" (which would automate GUI tasks) and even the most
trivial of command-line scripting abilities.

UGH!

>                     Sorry, its the other way around "New bugs, gawd,
> again!".
> I make one claim on the surface... I have no personal experience with
> any win NT products and from what I've seen so far I have grave doubts
      ^^^^^^
     Lose NT

> to anybodies claims about the new MS products.  I did not move up to
> win ME. I now realize this would by throwing good money away (I would
  ^^^^^^
  Lose ME

> be better off buying a box of good cigars.)
>
> I can't comment on the server side of things... I'll leave that to those
> who have.
>
> Take note that even today the win98se print manager has page formatting
> problems when printing out web pages.  But today I needed important
> medical information from WebMD for a dementia care facility and MS'
> print manager failed to include all of the information.  I had to move
> to my other machine with Sun Solaris and print the badly needed pages.
> The pages came out perfect.
>
> The only immediate solution I can think of is to surf the web looking
> for a third party print manager that can get the job done under win98se.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:05:27 -0500

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:44:30 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >>
> >> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 24 Mar 2001

> >> I have never *advocated* marxist principles; I have *defended* them.
> >> The difference is important to anyone but an extremist.
> >
> >To defend an idea is to advocate it.
>
> That has to be the most insane thing you have said so far, Aaron.
> And thatīs quite insane!

Was Ben Franklin insane when he said "A penny saved is a penny earned"

How about "100 dollars saved is 100 dollars earned"

Is that insane?

> I defend the right of the indians to be hinduists.
> Does that make me a hinduism advocate?
>
> Further, I defend your right to waste oxygen in those so-called
> brain cells[1]. Does that make me a Aaron Kulkis advocate?
>
> [1] Subject to the possibility of a world-wide oxygen drought,
> I may restrict my support.
>
> --
> Roberto Alsina

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.