From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP.
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:08:16 -0500

Terry Porter wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:35:38 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Of course, all software worth having costs money. Only broken lawn
> >chairs and 8-tracks are given away for free.
>
> In the Free Software world, the above statement is definitely false.
>
> Try www.geda.org and run the free Linux electronic design software there, then
> tell me how much better the comercial offerings (costing around $5k) are?

Georgia Economic Development Association.

Can you check that URL again?

> The free software available *only* for Linux, was the reason I looked at it in
> 1997, the Linux OS itself was indeed a pleasant supprise :)
>
> With Linux, I have all the document processing (hate wp's), internet apps,
> electronic design, coding design, mechanical drafting and system control
> that I always wanted.
>
> Terry

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,soc.singles,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Too expensive, too invasive  (was: Re: uh oh, redhat is gonna do it)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:16:01 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Mar 2001
> >Bloody Viking wrote:
> >>
> >> Jim Dandie ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >>
> >> : It appears RH is trying to old B. Gates routine...mapping the config
> >> : and using it to their advantage...What else are they grabbing from
> >> : your box?
> >>
> >> This does sound suspicious. It seems like a law of economics that a company
> >> will always use lock-in with software. Microshit is the obvious classic of
> >> course, but every app maker fucks with file formats, Netscape singlehandedly
> >> fucked up the web, and now Red Hat is trying it.
> >
> >Netscape singlehandedly made the Web a household term.
>
> Puh-leeze.  The Web made Netscape a household term.

Barely anybody except for physicists at CERN would have ever heard of the
the Web if it wasn't for Andreesen.

Some friends and I first discovered it in 1993 while using some archie-like
utility.

"World Wide Web"... my first thought was "wow, SOMEBODY has an ego"

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dying
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:10:57 -0500

Interconnect wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Brent R wrote:

> quarter,

> get for
> holders
> when
> that
> > >
> > > Seriously... it's a bargain market right now... the chance that
> > > Microsoft  will be in business 5 years from now is a lot better than a
> > > Linux company's chance. Even though I have conflicing views on their
> > > products, Microsoft is a sure bet and solid as a rock.
> >
> > $10000 invested in Microsoft today vs $10000 invested in a group of Linux
> > companies.
> >
> > Which portfolio will be more valuable in 5 years?
> >

> I'd have to vote for Microsoft on that one.  IMHO Linux is still a better
> product, it's business model is somewhat different and less oriented towards
> generating HUGE ca$h flows than MS.

Microsoft will have to change it's business model radically ***AND***
refrain from cease current criminal activities AND refrain from partaking
in any future criminal activities.

Without doing ALL of those three, M$ stock will give a negative rate of
return for the next 5 years.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:12:29 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Mar 2001
> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>     [...]
> >>
> >> Perhaps; it would stand to reason that such professional bulletstops
> >> don't have a very integrated personality to begin with.  Mostly, I think
> >> its for camouflage.
> >
> >No, it's not for camauflage.  Even in Viet Nam, where the fighting was
> >very "up close and personal" compared to most wars, and neither side
> >was using much face paint, most soldiers shot never saw the faces of
> >those who they were shooting at....merely aiming and shooting at shadowy
> >blobs that you suspect are your opponent.
>
> More fodder for those who like to point out you've obviously never been
> in combat.  Nor have I, but I'm bright enough to know that, were I one
> of those blobs, I'd be the shadowiest, most camouflaged fucker in a
> hundred miles, if at all possible.  Believe me, its for camouflage.

Those of us who've actually done it know otherwise.

>     [...remainder uncommented...]
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Kulkis not Chad, Gates (was Re Unix/Linux Professionalism)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:12:57 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Mar 2001
> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >>
> >> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 24 Mar 2001
> >>    [...]
> >>
> >> That doesn't even work in real life, Aaron.  Get some help.  You do
> >> deserve it.  You're a very intelligent man.
> >
> >So, you concede that just because someone on USENET tells you to do
> >something is *NOT* sufficient reason to obey their instructions.
>
> The point is not at issue.  If I had the ability to do it, and were you,
> I'd have sufficient reason to demonstrate I could, to silence my
> detractors.  You, on the other hand, will insist this isn't the decision
> you've made, in a fruitless effort to disguise the fact that you can't
> comply, so its not an issue of whether you would 'obey'.

Then why didn't you jump when I told you to do so?

> >Thanks you very much.
> >
> >Have a nice day.
>
> Get some help.
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:30:14 GMT

"Graham Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In gnu.misc.discuss, "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > If you started with a word that did not already have a very
> > different definition, there would not be any problem.  If
> > you try to redefine an existing word as the GPL does, the
> > meaning will not be clear to all parties.
>
> What is wrong with that?  Legislatures frequently do it. It is not
> uncommon to find laws which define words in ways which differ
> (sometimes considerably) from their common usage and also to find that
> the same word can have very different meanings in different laws.

If your intent is to ensure job security for lawyers by making sure
that no one else will understand the meaning of the laws, that
is a reasonable thing to do.  If you want to avoid deceiving
people who already understand a different meaning of the word
then it is unreasonable.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some OS security thoughts
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:29:01 -0500

Mike wrote:

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 06:23:36 GMT, Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I'd gladly switch to the first email program that let me run a script
> > > that's sent to me just by clicking on it.
> >
> > You are the reason that Unix mailers don't do that by default.  You
> > "usually" know who sent the script and what it is supposed to do?  What
> > about when you don't?  Oh, yeah, that's when it does "rm -rf" in your
> > home directory.
> >
> > You do realize the risks you are taking, right?
>
> Yup, I sure do, and they're pretty low. I'm not talking about running the
> latest script from some mass mailer, I'm talking about getting a script from
> a coworker that I want to run. I can't fathom any rational reason why I
> should have to do anything more than click on it.

If *YOU* are the only one with such software, the risk of virus attack
is small...

On the other hand, if you were to get it from some place like, say,
Linuxberg...then that means that there will be THOUSANDS of others
with the same software...

And thus, you all become in a pool of potential virus cross-infectors.

If you find such software...I advice *NOT* using it....because when
you get fucked (and you will...just ask any Windows user who's been
hit with an e-mail virus)...just rmember...I told you so.

> -- Mike --

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:23:59 GMT

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> If you find this e-mail program could you let me know?  I have some e-mail
> I'd like to send you.

Sigh. You're right: if computing is easy, only stupid people will use
computers.

What about my main point? That the email you send me shouldn't be relevant?
That if I run something that could be insecure, there's some protection
against harm? I could imagine all kinds of places that a protected subsystem
would be useful.

On the other hand, it's getting harder and harder to imagine it showing up
in Unix.

-- Mike --

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:24:37 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Mar 2001
> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>     [...]
> >>
> >> Perhaps; it would stand to reason that such professional bulletstops
> >> don't have a very integrated personality to begin with.  Mostly, I think
> >> its for camouflage.
> >
> >No, it's not for camauflage.  Even in Viet Nam, where the fighting was
> >very "up close and personal" compared to most wars, and neither side
> >was using much face paint, most soldiers shot never saw the faces of
> >those who they were shooting at....merely aiming and shooting at shadowy
> >blobs that you suspect are your opponent.
>
> More fodder for those who like to point out you've obviously never been
> in combat.  Nor have I, but I'm bright enough to know that, were I one
> of those blobs, I'd be the shadowiest, most camouflaged fucker in a
> hundred miles, if at all possible.

If that makes you more confident...then do it.

>                                        Believe me, its for camouflage.

No, it's for the "conquering warrior" psychological effect it has
on the wearer.

The fact that it OCCASIONALLY keeps someone from getting noticed
as easily as he would otherwise is a MINISCULE point...as most
combat takes place at a range of 100-300 yards, where even a
completely uncamouflaged face is barely distinquishable in calm,
peaceful, non-war situations.

Add in the confusion of battle, and people hiding in shadows, and
face camo is of little tactical value for anybody other than
special ops types who penetrate deep AND CLOSE to the enemy.

>     [...remainder uncommented...]
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:40:04 GMT

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:08:42 GMT, Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
|news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
|> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 06:23:36 GMT, Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|>
|> > I'd gladly switch to the first email program that let me run a script
|> > that's sent to me just by clicking on it.
|>
|> You are the reason that Unix mailers don't do that by default.  You
|> "usually" know who sent the script and what it is supposed to do?  What
|> about when you don't?  Oh, yeah, that's when it does "rm -rf" in your
|> home directory.
|>
|> You do realize the risks you are taking, right?
|
|Yup, I sure do, and they're pretty low. I'm not talking about running the
|latest script from some mass mailer, I'm talking about getting a script from
|a coworker that I want to run. I can't fathom any rational reason why I
|should have to do anything more than click on it.

I would prefer that the default behaviour be to OPEN the script to
read it, rather than to run it.

Right-click and select run from a menu is easy enough for me, and
much harder to do by accident. The default behaviour should be
the safest behaviour, not the riskiest behaviour.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Siegal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:55:52 -0800

Les Mikesell wrote:
> If your intent is to ensure job security for lawyers by making sure
> that no one else will understand the meaning of the laws, that
> is a reasonable thing to do.  If you want to avoid deceiving
> people who already understand a different meaning of the word
> then it is unreasonable.

The intent is neither.  In general, conversational languages are not
precise or consistent enough to be used to write laws, contracts, etc.
without clearly defining domain-specific terms.  There is no objective
conversaional definition of, say, "free software", as the endless flame
wars on the topic here clearly demonstrate.

As long as the definitions are clear and well written (which is entirely
the case in terms of the FSF's "free software") it does not take a law
degree to understand them, nor should anyone be confused simply because
they are unwilling to take a few minutes to read what the definitions
are in a given context.