From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New worm infests Linux machines/Exposes root backdoor
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:03:47 +0200

GreyCloud wrote:
> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>
>> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> > Windows CodeName Whistler, Build 2296
>> > Uptime: 24 days, 19 hours, 23 Minutes, 20 seconds.
>> > Reason for last reboot: Needed to installed another PCI video adapter.
>> > Tasks for next reboot: Need to take out the PCI Video adapter.
>> > Next reboot due at: When I get XP final.
>> > Computer uses: Email, Internet, Development (C/C++, Java, VB, .NET,
>> > ASP), TS Server, firewall, internet connection sharing, Word/Power
>> > Point, IIS & FTP server (light load, except when developing).
>> >
>> Fine for you if those figures where true.
>> I don?t believe you.
>> By the way: Someone who puts all that stuff on a *production* machine
>> *and* puts a firewall too unto it shows clearly that he/she has no real
>> knowledge about firewalls at all.
>> IIS alone on that machine is enough to render the firewall meaningless.
>> A firewall *always* belongs on a different machine, except it?s a
>> playthingy like ZoneAlarm and the other Personal Firewalls.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
>
> Hmmm... elucidate on ZoneAlarm... I need to know for my wifes' sake!

Well, first thing, ZoneAlarm checks for "Programs" wanting to do Internet
access. What in the Win-world will hinder any program to announce itself
as InternetExploder 7 ? Or to mimick as one of the bazillion plugins
running inside IE?
Second, ZoneAlarm can be configured only very coarse regarding the outside
world.
Third, it is "ET-Software" (wants to call home), if you haven´t configured
it correctly already at setup. I have a deep distrust of *any* software
which does that automatically without my manual intervention.

Peter

--
A blue screen is nothing to worry about,
just press [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DEL] and format c:

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft abandoning USB?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:30:17 -0000

Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:35:29 GMT, "Chad Myers"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Nice FUD spin.
>
>FUD - isn't that a patented Microsoft technology?

Actually IBM patented it back in the 70s.  The patent ran out and
now Microsoft can use FUD without paying royalties.

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:32:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>He's gonna use nukes against an invasion force on his own beaches,
>so that the fallout can blow all over the island, making the entire
>place uninhabitable....

You're obviously misunderstanding how Nuclear weapons are used for defence.
See the Cold War for instance. It's a case of "hit me and I'll launch my
Nuclear arsenals at your cities". I can't believe you thought he meant the
above... not even Castro would have been that stupid.

>Yeah...right...you're a loony you are.
>
>Remember...several MILLION Americans took an oath to defend the Constitution
>from all enemies, foreign AND DOMESTIC.
>
>So...when we line you up against the wall....don't forget
>
>                        I TOLD YOU SO.

What, is America a dictatorship now. When did that happen? Or are do you
see the US turning into a dictatorship in the future? Interesting...

ian.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: First Cross platform (w32 and Linux) virus
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:48:57 +0200

"green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:99usb7$8o5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Possible, there are applications that read ext2 from 9x (& NT if you are
> > admin, or have found the drivers (anyone can tell me where I can find
ext2
> > drivers for 2000/XP?)  )
> > Trying to implement that in assembly is something that I would like to
> > avoid, thank you very much.
>
> if you were asking for a link...
> http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/
>
> else you may have been meening everbody knows where one is.

Some people has *way* too much time on their hands.
Is there a reason why an ext2 driver in assembly would be written?

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here is the response from Microsoft regarding Linux and Piracy:
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:59:34 +1200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Matthew Gardiner"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From          Microsoft Anti-Piracy Team <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date
>      Thursday, March 29, 2001 6:31 pm To              Matthew Gardiner
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject      Re: Piracy???? (KMM187946C0KM)
>
>  Hello,
>

>  We suggest that you contact Linux.
>
>  Microsoft Corporation
>  Worldwide Sales & Support Group

LOL

Great response from MS, Matthew. I hope you're attempting to have a
conversation with your kernel right now.

Let's be charitable: Maybe it was a typo, and the MS support person
instead meant to write:

We suggest that you contact Linus.

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 05:30:30 -0500

Ian Davey wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
> >He's gonna use nukes against an invasion force on his own beaches,
> >so that the fallout can blow all over the island, making the entire
> >place uninhabitable....
>
> You're obviously misunderstanding how Nuclear weapons are used for defence.
> See the Cold War for instance. It's a case of "hit me and I'll launch my
> Nuclear arsenals at your cities". I can't believe you thought he meant the
> above... not even Castro would have been that stupid.
>
> >Yeah...right...you're a loony you are.
> >
> >Remember...several MILLION Americans took an oath to defend the Constitution
> >from all enemies, foreign AND DOMESTIC.
> >
> >So...when we line you up against the wall....don't forget
> >
> >                        I TOLD YOU SO.
>
> What, is America a dictatorship now. When did that happen? Or are do you
> see the US turning into a dictatorship in the future? Interesting...

No...but the penalty for treason still includes death by firing squad.
And if it's wartime, drawing-and-quartering is ALSO a valid penalty.

> ian.
>
>  \ /
> (@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
> /(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
>  | |

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: All your PCI slot are belong to Microsoft.
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:38:21 -0000

Go to http://www.pcdesguide.org/pc2001/default.htm .

Download the PDF version of this design guide.

Unzip the files and read Chapter 2, 02EZPC-2001.pdf .

Right there on Page 24:

    No user access to internal parts. All user-accessible expansion
    capabilities are external. User-accessible memory expansion is
    discouraged in the same manner. The system can have internal PCI,
    AGP, or memory slots to allow the manufacturer in the factory or
    the distributor to configure the system. However, these slots
    should not have quick-access mechanisms, and they should not be
    promoted as end-user expandable. If internal expansion or memory
    expansion is available, dealer or manufacturer service is
    available to perform the expansion.

This is from the "Easy PC Initiative," supposedly about making the
PC easier to set up and use.  The copyright notice on the document
names Intel and Microsoft.

This item clearly isn't about deconfusing the newbie, who isn't
likely to open up his PC anyway.  It affects no one but the
sophisticated user, the one who damn well knows how to add memory
or upgrade a sound card.

Have Microsoft and Intel forgotten why the PC rules the world and
the Macintosh is a niche product?  I can only speculate as to what
Microsoft expects to gain.  I could spin elaborate conspiracy
theories about Microsoft trying to subvert the PC platform itself,
so that no one else's software can ever run on it.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: All your PCI slot are belong to Microsoft.
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 05:41:34 -0500

Ray Chason wrote:

> Go to http://www.pcdesguide.org/pc2001/default.htm .
>
> Download the PDF version of this design guide.
>
> Unzip the files and read Chapter 2, 02EZPC-2001.pdf .
>
> Right there on Page 24:
>
>     No user access to internal parts. All user-accessible expansion
>     capabilities are external. User-accessible memory expansion is
>     discouraged in the same manner. The system can have internal PCI,
>     AGP, or memory slots to allow the manufacturer in the factory or
>     the distributor to configure the system. However, these slots
>     should not have quick-access mechanisms, and they should not be
>     promoted as end-user expandable. If internal expansion or memory
>     expansion is available, dealer or manufacturer service is
>     available to perform the expansion.
>
> This is from the "Easy PC Initiative," supposedly about making the
> PC easier to set up and use.  The copyright notice on the document
> names Intel and Microsoft.
>
> This item clearly isn't about deconfusing the newbie, who isn't
> likely to open up his PC anyway.  It affects no one but the
> sophisticated user, the one who damn well knows how to add memory
> or upgrade a sound card.
>
> Have Microsoft and Intel forgotten why the PC rules the world and
> the Macintosh is a niche product?  I can only speculate as to what
> Microsoft expects to gain.  I could spin elaborate conspiracy
> theories about Microsoft trying to subvert the PC platform itself,
> so that no one else's software can ever run on it.

None of which will mean a hill of beans to independant motherboard
and memory manufacturers.

And any OEM (Compaq, Gateway, etc.) which toes the line 100% will
see home-user sales drop off.

> --
>  --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
>          PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc
>                             Delenda est Windoze

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:55:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> What, is America a dictatorship now. When did that happen? Or are do you
>> see the US turning into a dictatorship in the future? Interesting...
>>

>No...but the penalty for treason still includes death by firing squad.

Treason involves more than just expressing views though, otherwise that is the
behaviour shown by a dictatorship.

>And if it's wartime, drawing-and-quartering is ALSO a valid penalty.

Ouch, drawing-and-quartering isn't much fun...

ian.

 \ /

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, was Why open source software is   better
Date: 29 Mar 2001 11:06:24 GMT

Jeffrey Siegal wrote:

>Nick Condon wrote:
>> The four most critical
>> pieces of infrastructure that make the Internet work are BIND
>> [Berkeley Internet Name Daemon], Perl, Sendmail, and Apache. Everyone
>> of them is free software.
>
>You overstate your case here.  Browsers and mail clients are also
>infrastructure critical to the Internet (indeed, without browsers and
>mail clients, Apache and Sendmail are useless), and virtually none of
>them, as measured by usage, are free software.

With out cars, highways are useless. But cars ain't infrastructure and nor
are web browsers.
--
Nick

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Siegal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, was Why open source software is
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:54:44 -0800

Nick Condon wrote:
> >Nick Condon wrote:
> >> The four most critical
> >> pieces of infrastructure that make the Internet work are BIND
> >> [Berkeley Internet Name Daemon], Perl, Sendmail, and Apache. Everyone
> >> of them is free software.
> >
> >You overstate your case here.  Browsers and mail clients are also
> >infrastructure critical to the Internet (indeed, without browsers and
> >mail clients, Apache and Sendmail are useless), and virtually none of
> >them, as measured by usage, are free software.
> >

> With out cars, highways are useless. But cars ain't infrastructure and nor
> are web browsers.

Cars *are* infrastructure (but not fixed infrastructure); they just
happen to be paid for by their users rather than by the government (or,
rarely, a private toll road operator).  There is no real difference
between cars being part of a highway system and rail cars being part of
a railroad system.  In both cases, the rolling stock is part of the
infrastructure.

Client software is infrastructure essential to the Internet, and it is
generally not free software.

Which is not to say that free software is not essential to the Internet;
it is.  Without the server-side infrastructure, which is predominantly
free software, the clients are useless.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:48:24 +0200

"Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The four most critical
> pieces of infrastructure that make the Internet work are BIND [Berkeley
> Internet Name Daemon], Perl, Sendmail, and Apache. Everyone of them is
free
> software.

You mean DNS, CGI (why is this an infrastructure?), SMTP, HTTP ?
I would add FTP, NNTP, Goper, POP3 and some other protocols, but that is
beside the point.
Don't confuse the applications with the protocols they implement.