  Re: Has Linux anything to offer ? (Eugenio Mastroviti)

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 07:03:54 -0800

And you keep showing your ignorant ass.  The missiles were put in as a
direct challenge to our nuclear missiles in Turkey, which we took out after
the crisis.  You really should read more.  I mean, besides the comics.

Roger
AIRBORNE!
> Barry Manilow wrote:
> >
> > GreyCloud wrote:
> >
> > > Communism in the economic sense is a total failure. It isn't bigotry
> > > when a tin-pot dictator puts up a nuclear missile system designed to
> > > annihilate you. Its defense.
> >
> > Castro put up those missles in self-defense.
>

> You keep telling yourself that, traitor.
>

> >                                                I do not blame him one
> > bit and am glad he did it.  The US had been sponsoring terrorism and
> > guerilla war in Cuba for a long time.
>
> ...against an illegitimate dictator.
>

> >                                          At the time, Operation Mongoose
> > was on the books, the culmination of which was to be a US invasion of
> > Cuba.  Castro knew we were going to invade so he requested missles to
> > defend himself from the US.  Good for him!  The US was the aggressor;
> > Cuba was the defender!
>
> He's gonna use nukes against an invasion force on his own beaches,
> so that the fallout can blow all over the island, making the entire
> place uninhabitable....
>
> Yeah...right...you're a loony you are.
>
> Remember...several MILLION Americans took an oath to defend the
Constitution

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 07:05:38 -0800

This is what I have been saying about aaron and Hdlksjdflloser all along.
Just little nazi bastards who wish harm against this country.  Of course
they would start a dictatorship.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 07:08:01 -0800

aaron, aaron, aaron, your ass must be frostbitten hanging out the way it
does.  How does someone as stupid as you survive in the modern world.  Now,
I know that's now where you mind is, but still!  You don't know history, you
don't know politics, you certainly don't know the military but you insist on
shooting your mouth off.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

From: WernerP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft abandoning USB?
Date: 29 Mar 2001 08:12:14 -0600

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:58:54 -0700, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>In a nutshell: MS wants to get into end-to-end content protection with
>their Secure PC strategy. USB 2.0 doesn't offer the necessary
>content-control features for peripherals but the latest 1394
>(Firewire) standards do - see the second URL above.
Snip, not only M$ tries to put content protection into everything.
Currently there is a hot debate about hardware content protection on the
upcoming Serial ATA. A hardware content protection system for SCSI and
IEEE1394 already has passed the standard commisions. And M$ wants to get
into that market to. I guess the entertainment industry is throwing big
$$$ at the hardware and software companies currently (therefore the move
of M$). My biggest gripe about the whole issue is that these things
mostly are unnoticed by the media and general public. Cause the only way
to force such thing upon the customer is not to tell him. Like it
basically happened with the region coding on DVDs.

Werner
--
Memory Dragon

Q: Does EMACS have a Buddhist nature?
A:  Sure, why not?  It has everything else.

------------------------------

From: Eugenio Mastroviti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:30:44 +0100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Stac licensed the code to Mafia$oft for about a year.  At the end
> of the license, Mafia$oft CONTINUED to ship product's using Stac's
> COPYRIGHTED code.  By the time the case got through the backlogged
> legal system...they no longer had the $$$ to continue.
>
> These are not isolated incidents, this is a PATTERN OF CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR.
>
> MICROSOFT IS A MANY-TIMES ****CONVICTED**** CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION.

Anybody remembers Sybase and "MS" SQL Server?

Eugenio

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:23:59 +0200

Paul 'Z' Ewande® wrote in message <99vbpq$60k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>"David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le
>message news: 99upqv$7r9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> I don't care what some benchmarks say - I am interested in using
computers
>> rather than just looking at some artificial numbers.  The fact is that NT
>is
>
>Then again Winstone benchmarks are using the actual applications, even if
>those are benchmarks.

They are still artificial.  But they are certainly better than straight
CPU/memory/disk benchmarks, it's true.

>> significantly faster for a "power user" than Win9x.  I have NT on a 300
>MHz
>
>Microsoft agrees to the 30% figure.
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/platform/performance/overview.as
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/platform/performance/reports/zdl
>bs.asp
>
>Remeber that they sell the all those systems.

Remember also that they earn significantly more profit on NT/W2k than on
W9x, so they are not unbiased.

>> machine at work, and 98SE on an 800 MHz machine at home, and I know which
>
>I know nothing about the memory of the two systems, speed of the disks,
>quality of the interface, wether UDMA is enabled or no, a whole slew of
>variables. So your point doesn't carry much weight.

The 300 MHz machine is two years older, with 128 MB vs. 256 MB on the 800
Mhz machine.  Basically, everything on the newer machine is bigger and
faster than on the old machine.

>> one is faster for real work (web development stuff, programming, database
>> serving, Delphi, text file editing, Python, PHP, etc. all at much the
same

>Text file editing ? :)

Yes, with a lot of swapping back and forth between different applications.

>> time).  Win9x can stop up entirely while waiting for some operations.  NT
>
>For heavy I/O access ?
>
>> (mostly) keeps on going, and if something does go wrong, it is (normally)
>> easy to kill rogue processes without restarting the whole machine, and it
>is
>> easy to change priorities of processes.  As for floppy disk access, NT
>does
>
>That's true. I never argued that WinNT wasn't a better OS for 'power
users",
>I argued that it's multitasking abilities weren't *that* inferior with
>regards to speed.
>
>What kills Win98
>
>Limited amound of so called resources (Win16 compatibility requirement for
>the GDI)
>So so Memory management (I have no idea why).
>The need to thunk between 16/32 bits mode (some speed is lost here).
>Partial memory protection (apps can still write in the system memory space,
>Win16 compatibilty requirement).
>
>All that makes for the inferior scalability and robustness of Win98.

I agree on all of that, but with the addition that NT handles multi-tasking
better.  It may be that this is an effect of the other limitations of Win9x
(e.g., the single-task bottle neck of the 16-bit GDI).

>> it happily in the background, while Win98SE takes a break.  In fact, my
>> Win98 machine often hangs while copying back and forth on an IDE ZIP
>drive.
>
>It would be interesting if you could dual boot each system and observe the
>floppy access. Dollars to doonuts that Win98 on your work machine woudn't
>have problem accessing the floppy.

Maybe not, but I am not going to risk my work machine to try it, and I could
not get NT working on the home machine (I needed Win98SE for USB access,
with the stupid "recovery CD" for Win98, and NT's disk size limitations,
amongst other hassles - in the end, I got stuck with just Win98).  Sooner or
later I'll wipe it and get Linux working on that machine too (probably
Mandrake 8.0 before I get round to it...

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: For when Linux developers get bored (news item)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:34:56 -0600

Charles Packer wrote:

> Noticed in the NY Times. (See at http://cpacker.org/timesfan/faa.html)
>
>                 March 19, 2001
>
>                 Compressed Data: An Open-Source Future for FAA?
>
>                 By MATTHEW L. WALD
>
>                      The software programs that run on the
>                 nation's air traffic control computers may
>                 someday be kept up to date by a corps of
>                 volunteer programmers in much the same way as
>                 the widely-respected Linux operating system is
>                 maintained. This, at least, is the vision of
>                 some far-sighted analysts who are proposing a
>                 radical new approach to the FAA's problems
>                 with delays and dead-ends in the effort to
>                 modernize.
>
>                 A recommendation to privatize the air traffic
>                 system by setting up an independent nonprofit
>                 corporation raises the possibility of
>                 following the "open source" model of software
>                 development in which anyone can inspect and
>                 contribute to the source code. Currently, the
>                 millions of lines of code in the system are
>                 maintained by hundreds of programmers employed
>                 by a few major corporations. The software does
>                 a multitude of tasks, such as calculating
>                 flight trajectories, adjusting traffic as it
>                 approaches airports and driving the display
>                 hardware that shows controllers where
>                 everything is.
>
>                 According to Robert W. Poole, Jr., co-author
>                 of the proposal, which may be seen at
>                 www.rppi.org, they looked at how software is
>                 actually created for the system and found that
>                 the original designer of a program often went
>                 on to another job before finishing it.
>                 Completion was then left to programmers
>                 assigned on the basis of availability. "It
>                 ends up being not much different from the way
>                 open source code is developed anyway, so why
>                 pay programmers to do it?" he said.
>
>                 An FAA official who asked not to be identified
>                 said "We're taking this seriously," but
>                 stressed that the government would still be
>                 the final arbiter of safety in the system,
>                 perhaps maintaining an "augmented" group of
>                 software testers.
>
>                 As for rewards for participating the such an
>                 effort, Mr. Poole cited the intellectual
>                 challenge in solving the programming problems
>                 in a system of that complexity, but added that
>                 the proposed air traffic corporation might be
>                 able to offer something more -- frequent flyer
>                 miles.

Just gotta love the guy's candor:

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dying
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:45:33 -0600

Chad Myers wrote:

> "WesTralia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chad Myers wrote:
> > >
> > > "WesTralia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Well, you have sort of reworded your original, but here goes.
> >

> > > Psst: no it isn't.
> > >
> > > Please show me where I can have my relatives instant messaged when my
> > > plane is nearing landing.
> > >

> > telephone
>
> LOL, right. This is an automatic service? Where can I sign up for this
> so that the airline notifies them via telephone?
>
> Ok, now back to the real world, where can I have this done through
> an instant messenging service or otherwise through the computer?

It's easier than that!  You call them or text message them on your...
<drum roll, please.....> CELL PHONE!

Chad, here's the schematics for this new fangled technology:

[cell phone] ------ message ------> [cell phone]
             <----- message -------

In fact, I did exactly that returning from London this past month.

> > > Please show me where I can get real time chat with a customer support
> > > rep from a major company from MY messenger, not their chumpy web site
> > > chat.
> > >

> > telephone
>
> Which means I have to disconnect from the internet, dial their 800
> number and wait 30 minutes for a rep, rather than just doing it all
> online which .NET offers.

<drum roll, please.....> CELL PHONE!

Chad, here's the schematics for this new fangled technology:

[cell phone] ------ message ------> [cell phone]
             <----- message -------

> > > Please show me where I can get eBay or another auction site to instant
> > > message me when I've been outbid, or I can check my bids right from
> > > one location without having to go their web site?
> > >

> > telephone
>
> <sigh> You just don't get it...

<drum roll, please.....> CELL PHONE!

Chad, here's the schematics for this new fangled technology:

[cell phone] ------ message ------> [cell phone]
             <----- message -------

alt.destroy.microsoft,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 01:03:09 +1000

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Gunner =A9 wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:59:15 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>=20
> >
> >> Cuba has dedicated itself to the principle that, within its means, it
> >> will try not to kill any human beings due to lack of food, shelter,
> >> medical care, poor sanitation, etc.
>=20
> But they got real good at shooting down Cessnas......

I wonder what Cuba would be like if Batista and the Mafia still ruled.

------------------------------

From: Eugenio Mastroviti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has Linux anything to offer ?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:09:12 +0100

Peter wrote:

> Has Linux seriously anything to offer the average desktop user?

Well, not really - except for the boredom of months and months without a
crash...

> Is it really a full operating system for the desktop?

It depends - there are some distributions that are definitely
feature-rich enough to be a complete system. I can speak for those I
know, so I'd say SuSE 7.1 is as complete an OS as it can be - and RH 7.0
will be as well, as soon as a few small, well, smallish, issues are
fixed.

> Does it boot up and shut down quicker than other operating systems?

Yes - for me. I hear many people do not notice any appreciable
differences between, say, Linux and a certain operating system with
windows in it...
One thing I like, though, is that I actually get some info on what's
going on during boot. I know why it's taking longer than necessary, if
that is the case. With WinDoze, you just sit there, sweat and pray that
this time, for a change, it will actually boot...

> Is software for accessing the Web, Email and Newsgroups the best there is
> available?

For the Web, I'd say definitely *no*. Mozilla and Netscape 6 are real
bloatware, Netscape 4.xx is absolutely crappy, even worse than the
WinDoze version. Konqueror is really nice, but it still has a few
problems - maybe I;ve got some configuration work to do, as it just does
not display about 10% of the pages I browse to (yes, Java & Javascript
are enabled, thank you).

For email, there are some very nice clients. I use IMAP, not POP3 (I use
the same mailbox at home & at the office), so my choice is rather
limited; but in general, especially if you use KDE or Gnome, the email
clients are just great. Same for newsreaders.

> Are there more software programs written for the home user in Linux than any
> other system?

Probably not. But, on the other hand, there *are* more programs that
come free with Linux than with any other OS, whatever distribution you
choose.

> Do games and graphical programs run faster and better than on other systems?

Probably not games. POVray runs quite fast, from what my girlfriend says
GIMP is better and faster than Photoshop (she's got a dual boot machine,
so the comparison is fair). Keep in mind that, from my experience, Linux
will perform more or less as Win NT does on a one-step-higher class
machine. Meaning, SuSE Linux on my PII-500 box runs about as fast as NT
on a PIII-500. Yes, that's with X.

> Are CD-R and CD-RW easier to configure and use with Linux?

Easier to use, yes. Easier to configure, if you've got a SCSI one, yes.
IDE CD-RWs (for those of us not rich enough to afford a SCSI one) are
somewhat trickier to configure, in the sense that you have to know
something about kernel modules - or follow the instructions given in a
gazillion Linux magazines and newsgroups.

> Is the support for Display Cards, DVD, Sound Cards, Large Hard Drives and
> Printers better?

Display cards: not sure. DVDs: definitely not, but not for technical
reasons, so if you ask again when some unnamed monopolies will have been
brought to their knees, the answer might be different :). Sound Cards -
I'm still going crazy trying to force Windows to talk to my SB 1024. It
works fine under Linux. Printers: if you've got NT and an USB printer,
good luck. Large Hard Drives: I'd say yes.

> Is there a really must have program for the home user that is only available
> in Linux?

Weeeellll.... apart from kteatime and xbill/kbill, I don't know...

> Is the fact that Linux is free and used by people who do not want to pay for
> anything the only reason it is used?

Linux is formally free, but most people actually go and buy the
commercial distros, so this is really a moot point.

> Finally where would the sales of home computers be today if the only
> operating system was Linux?

This question is pointless - and meaningless. It's like bashing
Einstein's general relativity because physics wouldn't have advanced
without Newton. Linux probably wouldn't exist if the sales of PCs hadn't
been what they are, so what? The question should be: in 5 years, what
will be the status of the Internet, of computer technology, of PC (and
server) sales if the only OS is Linux? Or Windows? Or if for the first
time in over 10 years there is actual competition in the OS market?

Eugenio