From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP.
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 13:39:37 +1200

Correct! the book written about her was quite enlightening/

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multitasking
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 01:42:39 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Windows XP is in beta. The beta requirements are grossly exaggerated
> due to all the debug code which will be compiled out for the release.
>
> Windows 2000 had a beta requirement of 128MB of RAM and 2GB of hard
> disk, even though the release had a requirement of 32-64MB ram
> and 400MB disk space or something similar.
>
> Windows XP is likely to have the exact same or very similar requirements
> as Windows 2000.

Which means you'll get okay performance from a 128 Mb P II 450, but
you'll want 256Mb and dual-pentiums to feel comfortable with the
speed.

I find Office 2000 and Visio 2000 dog slow on the first machine, running
Win2K.

Visio is wayyyyyyyyy overdependent on VBA, and VBA seems to be more
buggy under Win2K than under Win NT.

Chris (the guy reading trade journals while waiting for a Word document
to save -- in the background, ha! -- and Word to respond again.)

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Formatting a floppy
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 01:44:14 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Since when has a Penguinista been known NOT to speak
> from their arse?
>
> -c

The face of Chad Myers:

( .      . )
(    ..    )
 (    *   )

--
[ Do Not Make Illegal Copies of This Message ]

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You have to check out The Register ASAP
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 13:50:03 +1200

LOL.  If this was deliberate, you've got to admitt, the Poms sure have a
sense of humour.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATTN: Outlook Express Users and Virus's
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 13:53:49 +1200

Geeze you yanks have a real problem with a sense of humour.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 13:54:23 +1200

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arrrrgh!  Hoist the Jolly Roger!
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:50:32 -0800

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > I disagree on the desktop argument.  By serving install fests in our
> > local mall, our organization has made it public that there is an
> > alternative to microsofts o/s.  Many people aren't aware of Linux
> > because no one has enough money to advertise Linux during prime time
> > TV
>
> Do you read newspapers? Linux got so much free advertisiment that its name
> is clearly recognizable to anyone with a miniscule interest in computers.

Not in the boonies they haven't.  Our local newspaper is more concerned
about local happenings let alone whats happening anywhere else.

------------------------------

From: Scott Erb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:58:54 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> > The German economy in the 30's was certainly not a centrally planned
> > economy, and was one of the world's only booming economies (making
> > people like Charles Lindbergh say America could learn from Nazi
> > Germany).  It was an untenable boom, based on an arms build up, but it
> > certainly wasn't anything like Stalinist Russia's policies.
> >

> There is a LOT of "central planning" in the economic sector of
> a fascist economy.  Look at the economic structure of Japan.

Japan is certainly not fascist.  Do you just make this stuff up as you
go?

> Mitsubishi owns thousands upon thousands of subsidiary businesses,
> all for benefit of Mitsubishi.  This organization comprises
> about 10% of the Japanese economy.

Yeah, that's capitalism in action for you, big corporations controlling
a lot of economic activity.

> There are fewer than 15
> nearly identical economic power structures in the Japanese
> economy...and they all do the same thing.

Corporations world wide seek to benefit corporations.  Capitalism.

> Germany and Italy were the same way.

Capitalist?  OK, but their systems of government were fascist.  Fascism
can co-exist with capitalism, of course.

> The only difference between the economic "planning" of Communism,
> and the planning in a fascist economy is that under Communism, the
> planning is done by politicians and/or their appointees, who write
> a law, and issue it to the factory owners.
>
> In fascism, the factory owners (i.e. the bigwigs at the top of
> each of these industrial pyramids) tend to get together, and
> then compose a law to give to the politicians, who rubber stamp
> it (out of fear of falling out of favor with the factory owners).

That's capitalism, or monopoly capitalism, and that is indeed a danger,
but it is a misuse of terms to mix that up with fascism (something a lot
of people on the Left do frequently).

> Absolutely.  Do some research, and you will see.

I've done research, I teach courses on comparative politics.

Perhaps you need to define fascism more clearly, and explain what you
mean, your assertions are all very murky at this point.

------------------------------

From: Scott Erb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:54:43 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Scott Erb wrote:
> >
> > > This is why Democracy is *ILLEGAL* at the Federal and State level.
> >
> > What on earth do you mean?
>
> You didn't pay attention in your civics class, did you?
> Either that, or your teacher was some leftist tool.

Your response is argumentum ad hominem, and thus a fallacy.  Anyway,
I've got a Ph.D. in Political Science, so I obviously have studied quite
a bit about political systems.

> > You do know, don't know, that a Republic can be democratic?
>
> That's a contradiction in terms.
>
> DEMO-CRACY literally equals "government by the people"

As I explained, a Democratic Republic is NOT a pure democracy where
majority rules, but a democratic system that is limited by certain
rules, in our case, a constitution.

> If you look at the Constitution, it is quite clear that "the people"
> are specifically PROHIBITED from governing the nation....that is
> left to the Senate and the House of Representatives....that is,
> a REPUBLIC (governance by representatives)

That is called representative democracy.  People choose their
representatives, and can hold them accountable at election time.  The
most pure system of representative democracy is the British system,
which is a parliamentary unitary system (not a Presidential federal
system).

-snip-

> > sets certain rules and procedures within which the democratic aspects of
> > the system function.  The term "Liberal Democracy" (used to describe the
> > US and many European states) means a Democratic Republic limited by
>
> The us is NOT a democracy of any type.  Whoever told you that the US is
> a "Liberal Democracy" is either ignorant of what the term means, or
> filling your head with propaganda.  Likewise for Europe.  In fact,

Alas, you're the one totally out of step with all theory and scholarship
on this issue, as well the history of the US.

> I know of *NO* nation on the face of the earth which is a democracy.

If you look at any text (I'd recommend Hauss' Comparative Politics, or
Juerg Steiner's "European Democracies"), you'd see that all what are
called "democracies" today are Republics of some sort, save perhaps
Great Britain whose link to the Monarchy gives it a different kind of
rationale (though it still functions practically as a democracy, albeit
not limited by a written constitution but agreements between Parliament
and the Crown, and precident).

No government is a "pure democracy" of majority rule with no limits.
That is obvious.

> > liberal principles (a right to life, liberty, and property, with a focus
> > on individual freedoms, harkening back to philosophers like Locke, it is
> > distrustful of a strong central government).
>
> None of which has to do with Democracy.
>
> Respect for human rights is not democracy.  In fact, Democracy is
> particularly DANGEROUS to human rights.  Ever hear of the term
> "the Tyranny of the Majority"  If "the majority" of easily confused
> and swayed citizens can be rallied to violate your human rights, then
> exactly how does a democracy connote human rights.

All that is why we have Democratic Republics.  That is what the general
term "democracy" means in current usage.  If you're attacking crude pure
democracy you're just attacking a straw man, your argument has no
relevance to issues at hand today.

> Fortunately, the final protector of the human rights affirmed in the
> Constitution is the 2nd Amendment (Unconditional right to keep and
> bear arms) which gives teeth to all of the others.

Of course, a fat lot of good that will do you if you try to claim the US
government is illegitimate and try to ignore it.  The government can
outescalate you every step of the way.
cheers, scott

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dying
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:56:15 -0800

Karel Jansens wrote:

> Roy Culley wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >         GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > "Joseph T. Adams" wrote:
> > >
> > > I concur with you about the PC sales.  Out there now, and you probably
> > > already know this, is the Sun Blade 100. A 64-bit, $950, Sparc IIe
> > > processor.  Does everything at this price except MS windows. And for an
> > > extra $400 one can get a plug-in card if they really need MS windows.
> > > This one is really going to put a crimp in intels' and AMDs new 64-bit
> > > pricings.
> >
> > I haven't got my hands on a Sun Blade 100 yet but I don't think there is
> > anyway it is going to replace PC's on the desktop. There just isn't the
> > support for Sparc Linux as there is for Intel boxes. Just go to rpmfond,
> > ximian, netscape and see what support there is for Sparc. I run redhat
> > on my ultra-5 at work with gnome/sawfish. The only way to get recent updates
> > is to comile it myself. Have you ever tried compiling sawfish? What about
> > thingd like gnucash, evolution, etc? Things are even worse if you run
> > Solaris. You have to compile most things yourself and sorting out dependancies
> > can be a nightmare. I would rather have a PC on my desk at work running
> > Linux than any Sun workstation.
>
> Doesn't Solaris run linux binaries anymore?

Yes, through Lxrun.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:02:33 -0000

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 23:34:03 GMT in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It's not that hard.  Think something along the lines of
>
>      MOVE A TO B.
>      SUBTRACT B FROM A.
>      ADD A TO B GIVING C.

       Also can use:  COMPUTE C = A + B

>      CALL DoSomethingAwfullyInteresting USING 1, 2, AMOUNT-DUE.
>      EXIT PROGRAM.
>
>and you've gotten most of it.  :-)  Its main strength is that

Perhaps one of the more popular statements is something like:

       PERFORM SomeLoop VARYING X BY 1 UNTIL SomeLevel88Flag

>for example.  It also handles structures and arrays; I forget
>how they're specifically declared, though.  Note that the MOVE

Perhaps with the OCCURS clause?

>statement takes into account the PIC declarations of its source
>and destination, and does the right thing.

One powerful aspect of COBOL is its table stucture.

      01    SUPPLIER-TABLE.
            05    SUPPLIER OCCURS 10 TIMES
                  ASCENDING KEY IS SUP-NAME
                  INDEXED BY SUPPLIER-INDEX.
                  10    SUP-NAME  PIC X(20)
                  10    SUP-ADDR  PIC X(40).
etc.

>(Disclaimer:  I haven't written COBOL in years and years, since
>about 1989, so take the above with a grain of salt.  There were also
>at least two strains of COBOL in the wild at the time -- IBM and
>DEC, each with their own quirks.  I'm still hoping for a freeware
>COBOL compiler for Linux at some point, but it's a bit like hoping
>for a copy of Internet Explorer for Linux -- rather pointless to
>most of us. :-) )

There was work on a free COBOL compiler, I don't know if it has stopped
or not.  Last I saw couldn't compile much, certainly not any standard
IBM or DEC code (the IDENTIFICATION section wasn't complete).

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:18:19 -0800

Roger Perkins wrote:

> Ahh, now I haven't ever heard that before!  Spoken like a true leg.
>
> Roger
> AIRBORNE!

The drill instructor really loved to joke and intimidate.  The whole
purpose of basic training then was to make sure you could take it.  I'd
feel sorry for any current soldiers that would ever get into a major
ground war and not be toughened up.  I hear that its bad enough to get
captured but worse staying in that situation.  If they aren't toughened
up how are they going to survive or even escape??

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:21:18 GMT

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 31 Mar 2001
   [...]
>Fascists kill the poor first.
>Communists kill the rich first.

Meanwhile, Aaron concentrates on anyone who disagrees with him, rich or
poor.

>In fascism, industry "owns" the government.
>In Communism, the government "owns" industry.

Amazingly clueless.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft abandoning USB?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:21:19 GMT

Said JS PL in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:35:49 -0500;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> Shocker.  Let me ask you something: how much can an author ethically
>> charge for something that costs him nothing, and has no functional
>> value?
>
>The author can ethically charge whatever he wants, it's the beauty of living
>in a free society. I realize you wish producers of intellectual property
>were slaves of the state and must give away their creativity to anyone who
>wants it or sell it at a rate which you can best afford but the world
>doesn't work like that anymore. Maybe a hundred years ago perhaps, but it's
>a whole new world today.
> If I write a song and want a trillion dollars for it, it's my right.
>Communism is dead Marx.

You appear to believe that ethics don't exist.  Is it true that this
makes you unethical?  I believe so.

I didn't ask how much he can legally charge, or how much consumers may
wish to spend, or whether there were any government regulations
preventing them from charging more.  I asked, quite specifically (and
received two attempts to avoid answering, with nobody willing to admit
they understand the term "ethical") how much an author can ethically
charge for something that costs him nothing, and has no functional
value?  To answer "anything he wants" (or "$1 or 1 Million dollars", the
alternate response) is to suggest there is no such thing as ethics,
since they do not physically bind a person's actions.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:21:21 GMT

Said Michael Allen in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:47:49
>"JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>> > Shocker.  Let me ask you something: how much can an author ethically
>> > charge for something that costs him nothing, and has no functional
>> > value?
>>
>> The author can ethically charge whatever he wants, it's the beauty of living
>> in a free society. I realize you wish producers of intellectual property
>> were slaves of the state and must give away their creativity to anyone who
>> wants it or sell it at a rate which you can best afford but the world
>> doesn't work like that anymore. Maybe a hundred years ago perhaps, but it's
>> a whole new world today.
>>  If I write a song and want a trillion dollars for it, it's my right.
>> Communism is dead Marx.
>>

>That is perfect!!!  T. Marx Devlin.  Now it all makes sense.  The problem
>with most Communists is they aren't willing to admit what they are.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!  "Communist"!  Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!  You're as silly as
Aaron Kulkis.

>You can
>honestly debate the economic theories of communism vs socialism vs
>capitalism, nothing wrong with that.

No, I'm afraid there is.  Communism is not an economic system, and so it
is not possible to honestly debate communism vs economic systems.

>  But what I find so cowardly are
>communists or socialists who parade as capitalists because they don't have
>the spine to admit what they truly believe in.

I think its ironic that everyone assumes they know the answer to the
question, and presumes they know what I think the answer is (and that it
differs from theirs), but still, nobody seems able to answer the
question!

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:21:22 GMT

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 31 Mar 2001
>Scott Erb wrote:
>>
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>> > Let's suppose for a moment, Roger, that you are not, in fact, a
>> > fully indoctrinated Communist.
>> >
>> > If that is so...then I'm sure that you can specifically name a few
>> > of the ways in which you fundamentally disagree with Communist philosophy.
>> >
>> > Accuracy counts, so be precise
>
>Actually, the question was posed to Roger Perkins, not you.
>
>> That sounds like the McCarthy era hearings, putting the burden of proof
>> on someone to prove that somehow they are not something.  You are the
>> one who needs to be precise: what do you consider the "philosophy of
>> communism" to be?
>
>Let's use Marx and Engels' writings for starters.

I don't see why you should, as they're both dead and so have little
influence on the definition of communism.  But if you think you can
handle, fine.

Please be specific, Aaron: define the philosophy of communism, according
to Marx and Engels.

[Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!  Like that's going to happen!]