From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 04:11:50 -0400

"Marada C. Shradrakaii" wrote:

> >Simple.  Under capitalist free-market systems, you can't LEGALLY get
> >somebody's money from them without giving them something that they
> >value even more than the money.
>
> However, that also means that it's easier to get more money out of people by
> encouraging ignorance (about appropriate values and alternatives) and
> artificial scarcity.

You think this is unique to capitalism?

Go to Russia, and you'll see all kinds of artificial scarcities....and
they've existed there for DECADES UPON DECADES.

>  Both things that I would expect a reasonable society to
> want to combat.  Not really a net gain.
>

> >Thus, the easiest LEGAL way to fulfill one's desires and greed is to
> >serve other people.
>
> "serve" can easily become "bilk".

That's why those of us who are libertarian capitalists, who also know
what's going on, want to see Bill Gates in JAIL where he belongs.

> --
> Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
> Colony name not needed in address.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows "speed"
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 02:10:07 -0700

LShaping wrote:

> "David Rheaume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I'm sorry, but where do you purchase your crack?  NT4 absolutely *flies* on
> >a P3/600.  It flies on a P/200 with 32 MB RAM.
>
> Since I do not use NT, but have many thousands of hours with Windows
> 3.1/9x/Me, I can tell you that if NT 4 is slower than consumer
> versions of Windows, David is the one using drugs.  Now, would whoever
> keeps crossposting to or from alt.destroy.microsoft, please stop and
> also stop changing the subject line.  This is not a Windows advocacy
> group :o)
> Out,
> LShaping

I wonder if its me??  This Netscape browser shows those in the headers
I'm responding to.  OK. I see it.  Sorry!!

This should now only show up in comp.os.linux.advocacy.

alt.destroy.microsoft,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:12:03 +1000

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Gunner=A9 wrote:

> Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>=20

> >>=20
> >> Considering that it's an ALL CASH business, perfect for money
> >> laundering....how would taxation deter the mob from desiring
> >> and maintaining control in Las Vegas?
> >
> >Tight regulation of the businesses,undercover agents.
> >
> Oh..so then Mathew..you are advocating a Police State then?

Really? Did I say this,or you just to stupid to comprehend English?
The FBI does stings and this sort of work all the time,when they=20
have reason to believe organized crime,like the Mafia,is doing illegal=20
things.

>=20
> Why am I not surprised.....

Leave that to your right wing buddies.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arrrrgh!  Hoist the Jolly Roger!
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 04:14:05 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Matthew Gardiner in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 02 Apr 2001
> >Don't you find it rather funny that Microsoft isn't using Outlook Express?
> >Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> >> Here's the auto-reply I got:
> >>                       From: Microsoft Anti-Piracy Team <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> So what's Kana 5.0?

Something not even written my Mafia$oft.

http://www.internetweek.com/story/INW20001013S0005

                  Kana Integrates E-Mail With Online Service

                  By L. SCOTT TILLETT

                  When Kana Communications acquired
                  Silknet Software earlier this year for $4.2
                  billion, it set out to combine the
                  management of e-mail inquiries from
                  e-business customers with online
                  customer service.

                  Many of Kana's customers, such as
                  Utility.com, already use Silknet's products.
                  But Kana's existing software used for
                  e-mail marketing and handling customer
                  inquiries didn't integrate easily with
                  Silknet's online service software, said
                  Dave Fowler, Kana's senior vice
                  president for worldwide marketing.

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

alt.destroy.microsoft,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:13:03 +1000

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Gunner=A9 wrote:

> Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>=20

> >>=20
> >> Actually, brainwashing is much easier to accomplish than you
> >> might think.
> >
> >The military is quite good at it.
> >
> Evidently.. so is the DNC....

Tim McVeigh thinks it was the GOP.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 02:12:54 -0700

Chad Myers wrote:
> You admitted you haven't ever used NT, so your comments beyond this
> are irrelevant. This is a typically problem. People who never have
> really used Windows except for the crappy Win9x line seem to brand
> all Windows the same, which is purely ignorant.
>
> NT is far faster for general usage and multitasking than the Win9x
> line. It's far faster at data transfer including network. It's
> far faster at just about everything except for certain games written
> especially for the Win9x line (Quake3 comes to mind).
>
> Case in point, I use Windows 2000 almost exclusively. I purchased
> a bargain basement game the other day that didn't run well in
> Win2K, so I booted into WinME to see if it was different. Long
> story, but I also ended up needing to format a floppy for a WinME
> startup disk for a friend, and I noticed the entire system slowed
> while the format was taking place. I thought, "what a piece of
> crap".
>
> When you guys bash Windows, usually I assume that you are referring
> to Win9x, which almost always earns its flames. However, to lump
> NT/2K in with this is purely ignorant.
>
> NT/2K do not have this floppy formating issue, nor any of the other
> choppiness or slowness that Win9x has. I notice in WinME that my mouse
> will sometimes shutter when moving it across the screen, seemingly
> for no reason. Not so in WinNT/2K.
>
> -c

I really can't really comment on NTs' performance other than its price.
Too much.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 04:15:22 -0400

"." wrote:

> > Sorry.  No.  It was widely reported, though.
>
> Dang.  Does anyone know of any such agreements where these sorts of terms
> can be seen? (No netscape installations).
> It may sound like I don't believe you, but I just prefer not to judge until
> I've seen the evidence =)
> Also, I'd *really* like to read the way MS would word "Thou shalt not
> install competitors software".
>
> > I told the guy to download Netscape and put it on and he looked at me like
> > I just asked him to have sex with his Mom.  This was clearly "non-doable".
>
> Har har har =)
>
> Stage 4 of the MS MonkeyPlanet (tm) conspiracy - make the newest monkeys
> unaware of software from anywhere but Microsoft.
>
> I'm waiting for them to try and change the official definition of software
> to "Computer programs produced by Microsoft".
>
> > > Your sysadmin friends are lying, is what gives.  NT on that hardware
> will
> > > definitely serve at least 4 clients.
> >
> > Granted you may be right.  Still, 200 versus 4 is a rather radical
> > indictment, is it not?
>
> It's unfair to assume it can't handle more than four clients, four was all
> we had to connect to it.  I'm sure it could have handled ten =D
>
> > Why are ppl always replacing Warp servers with NT servers?  Sounds like
> > mass insanity to me.
>
> Ha!  You talk like the world makes sense most of the time ;)
>
> > Hahaha.  Yes, what a joke.  Have you ever seen the look of confusion
> > and terror on a typical MCSE's face when faced with this thing called
> > a command line?  LOL.
>
> I've seen people confused by the text from login!
>
> Welcome to bla
> Username:
>
> "I can't use this, it's too complicated"
> Not MCSE's of course, but then I've talked to MCSE's who told me that
> Windows 95 was fully 32 bit.  Granted they didn't do the MCP course on 95,
> but that's irrelevant... I think the problem is that the MCSE seems to make
> people think they're qualified to comment on any computer-related subject =(

Sad, but true.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Haakon Meland Eriksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is just another Unix (yawn)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:11:24 +0200

Linux is not an operating system.

GNU/Linux is a kernel under the GNU General Public License. Please
reread the license that came with this product, and consider the
license's importance in education and software development in rich and
poor countries all over the world.

Haakon

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 02:16:45 -0700

"." wrote:

> > I'm sorry, but where do you purchase your crack?  NT4 absolutely *flies*
> on
> > a P3/600.
>
> Can't vouch for this...  I consider a default install slow on a Celeron 450.
>
> > It flies on a P/200 with 32 MB RAM.
>
> AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>
> No wait, I'm not done holding my sides
>
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>
> I think your crack is of much higher quality than the previous poster's.
> And no, I'm not trying to pick you up.
> I've used NT, default install, on a P200MMX with 64Mb, and it was a goddamn
> dog.  Should I have pulled out half my ram to approach the stellar
> performance you no doubt get at home on your 386SX?
>
> > Anyone who has gotten poor performance from either NT or Win2000 on a
> P3/600
> > is suffering from one of the two following reasons:
> >
> > 1.  Some component(s) of the hardware platform is not HCL compliant.
> > 2.  The installer/administrator is horribly ignorant of the OS and has
> > misconfigured it far outside the reasonable expectations.
>
> By your reasoning, as long as my hardware is on the HCL, and I go with a
> default install (ie, I don't have the opportunity to misconfigure it) NT
> should rip along (as long as I have a 600Mhz P3, no mention of RAM, but I
> hear you're a fan of 32Mb, because NT just fuckin RIPS with 32Mb), is that
> about the size of it?
>
> > Don't let your ignorance or the ignorance of other convince you that
> Windows
> > (the NT kernel) is unreliable.
>
> But I should let your ignorance convince me that NT runs really really fast
> on an underpowered pentium 200?  Trust me, none of the MS advocates with a
> clue would ever try and pull that one.

Sorry...  I should have looked up near the top of Netscape to clean out
the other ngs.
All it did was send up a red signal flare and brought in all these
Wintrolls.

------------------------------

From: "Beth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Darwinian Evolution and open software
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:12:46 +0100

Hi Sam :)

I popped over from sci.bio.evolution too (though I'm the reverse to you, I'm
a programmer interested in evolution :)...anyway, here's my post and the
post I responded to all mixed up, to get the debate going :)

Wilbert Kruithof wrote:
> Evolution in software compared to biological evolution: two points of
> discussion

First off, you can just use the more generic term: "evolution"...

Evolution is NOT a "biology only" thing...basically, anything that has a
number of interdependent systems "competing" will experience the fundamental
mechanisms of evolution: fitness, [natural] selection, "gene"s, etc...

Dawkins (though thoroughly misguided in many other regards) has already
extended the notion of evolution to thoughts, as memes...but, basically, any
system that has a number of interdependent subsystems will experience
evolution...it stands to reason when you understand the basics of evolution,
if you think about it...

Note, also, that evolution does NOT guarantee you the best solution...no
way, no how...it generally favours the minimal to "pass the test"...thus,
Windoze succeeds because it's minimal expense and is "naturally selectable"
(for whatever reason...mostly a lack of choice and immense propoganda :)...

That is, if an entity lacks some required ability to survive in its
environment, it'll be under environmental pressure (via natural selection or
consumer selection - or, to be generic, just "selection" of any sort :) to
evolve such an ability...BUT, note, once that entity has developed a basic
mechanism to survive, the environmental pressure subsides...there is no more
"pressure" for it to continue to evolve that mechanism into a better
state...it gives up once it reaches the MINIMAL mechanism required
(although, environmental pressure may start building up again so the
"minimal" standard is raised :)...so, this means that you get the MINIMAL
mechanism necessary to "pass" NOT the best mechanism...a common
misconception of evolution that...

> 1: There are *many* people developing on OSS, and with different
> cultures, languages, and, very important, ideas. Guaranteed good
> discussion about what's the best solution for many of things, i.e.
> critical and different attitude towards implementation of problems. So,
> much variation, if one idea fails when putting in practice, there is a
> chance another one will overtake it. If this happens in a company,
> another one will overtake his position, but it may not have any idea
> what was going wrong with the previous company. So, each time it's
> falling back, while evolution builds on the past, so does OSS.

Yes; There are many parallels between OS evolution and biological evolution
(but do NOT "do a Dawkins" and take your analogy too far...they are NOT
identical, just theoretically equal :)...

> 2: Biological evolution codes their program in four-letter-language,
> ATCG (adenosine, thymine, guanosine and cytosine (last one is in Dutch))
> in DNA, and of course uracil instead of adenosine in RNA. And then, with
> a three-letter-word, for example (GCC:), it codes a protein. And in the
> ribosomes, they are connected to each other. And this builds for example
> a human.
> Software codes their program in 2-letter words, 0 and 1 or A and B or...
> And this all is developed on a "protein" level, or higher one.
> So, the main difference between biological and software coding is their
> level on which they are encoding. If you're writing VB, you are on
> relative high level, but you can also code on machine language, lower
> than DNA.
> OK, coding is done. And what do we do with this source?? Biological
> evolution is based on competition for reproduction (Thanks Mark:). So
> does OSS. But what does closed source software?? It's based on making
> money, not on making a good job. *Their* work produces money, money to
> better fit in competition for reproduction.

Yes; As it is perceived that making money is the measure of "fitness" in our
consumer society...so, as I stated above, OSes will be developed to that
environmental pressure...once you start making sufficient money, then that's
"good enough" and quality of software or societial responsibility to
community is NOT considered important consideration because the measure of
"fitness" that we all appear to agree on is money (which does not take
account of such things)...

Basically, I see the difference between open source and closed source would
be effectively the notion of asexual and sexual reproduction respectively...

A closed source project will only evolve gradually, internally "asexually"
but open source can get its "genes" from a number of places, and so is
developing "sexually", so to speak...

Both methods of reproduction work and there are organisms that use them (in
fact, there are even organisms that can reproduce both ways according to the
availability of sexual partners :)...although, it is often perceived that
sexual reproduction is better because it will cope with "mutation" better
(common misconception of evolution #2: NOTHING wants to evolve...things
mostly actively fight against mutation, in fact...it just happens DESPITE
every effort to the contrary :)...

Ok...what you think about the idea of open source being akin to a bit of
hanky-panky, where closed source is like one of those mushrooms that gets
itself pregnant? hehehe ;)

Beth :)

------------------------------

From: "Beth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:05:20 +0100

What saddens me is that you've let yourselves be taken in by BS rhetoric and
empty propoganda...

Really, I'm NOT going to push one particular "feel good" drug of a political
system here or anywhere else...I'm asking you to simply ignore the
propoganda that's spewed and actually look with an unbiased eye at all
systems and see that NONE of them are "good"...they are all "passable" as
ideas and that's about it...

What worries me is that everyone will carry on blindly fighting away...all
this empty machismo and pointless one-upmanship...one example here, one

We've taken ourselves to the brink of self-destruction on this particular
score before...why do we want to go there again?

Please, stop fighting this non-argument...we really wouldn't benefit if
someone "wins" and we all suffer badly from the struggle and if one side
"loses" then all that does is restrict us...basically, if you fight this
sort of argument, you are fighting to LOSE, it's LOSE/LOSE...

Of course, believe what you will personally but "I'm right, you're wrong" is
pointless and destructive...since the dawn of time, man has tried to
brainwash his fellow man to believe like him...it not only never works, it
stands absolutely NO chance of EVER working...

Let's be constructive...listen to the "opposition", even if you think they
are totally wrong...as I'm sure your experience (and the experience of
countless billions before you) shows, shouting loudly gets everyone nowhere
fast...the second someone utters "you're wrong" then it turns into a brawl
and nothing more...

Please, you're all better than this...show it...and, guess what, making an
argument by example actually has the power to change people's
opinions...shouting "you are a commie asshole" NEVER EVER works...after all,
think about it for two seconds, if they are a "commie" then being called a
"commie" is a great compliment NOT an insult...

You all argue with your blind predjuices showing and even if you could prove
beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are right then NO-ONE would listen
anyway because you're bigoted and biased and spouting other people's empty
propoganda...

Think for yourselves.

Beth :)