  Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure (The Ghost In The Machine)

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 23:10:30 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

> boooooo hooo hoooooo

Keep crying, wannabe.  We expect no less of you.

------------------------------

From: "Cat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: AMD is to Intel as "What OS" is to Windows?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:29:32 +1000

Big money Aaron. Big big money and it would certainly be doable. As one of the posters
pointed
out someone is already working on it. The point is to use what ever tools we have
available to
open up the OS market. Sun wasn't a big software company before Java yet now they are.
Just
because it's not the ideal OS doesn't mean that you can't gain a significant market
share and
open up the market for cross platform development in the process.

> That's why Sun invented Java.
0% percent market share on the client side unfortunately. IMHO if you had half a dozen
open
source OpenWindows implementations that accounted for 20-30% of the desktop OS market
this
would help Java's take up on the client side no end. I think Sun would consider it a
more
profitable possibility as well and focus on it with some of the brains that they so
clearly
display on the server side.

Cat

http://www.ratrobot.com/sport/sport.htm NEW THIS MONTH Would you cheat in a $100
million
dollar lottery if you knew they wouldn't catch you? This is the problem with drugs in
sport.
How do we solve it?
http://www.ratrobot.com/java/ratrobot_help.jar  FREE APPLETS  JARS EDITORS CHOICE
www.ratrobot.com Articles that challenge your ideas about yourself and the world you
live in.

> Cat wrote:

> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642
>
> K: Truth in advertising:
> Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
> Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
> Special Interest Sierra Club,
> Anarchist Members of the ACLU
> Left Wing Corporate Extremist Ted Turner
> The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
> Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,
>

> J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
>    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
>    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
>    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
>    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>

> F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>    her behavior improves.
>
> D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>    ...despite (C) above.
>
> C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
>    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
>    direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Cat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:32:17 +1000

> Your assumptions for why Windows is dominant is flawed.  You assume that it's a good
>idea
> to try and emulate Windows by "engineering an OS from scratch with the objective of
>being
> as close to the windows platform as possible".  It is not.
I never said that windows was a great design I just said that it is 95% of the desktop
market
and incompatible with Linux etc. The objective is to open up the market.

Cat

http://www.ratrobot.com/sport/sport.htm NEW THIS MONTH Would you cheat in a $100
million
dollar lottery if you knew they wouldn't catch you? This is the problem with drugs in
sport.
How do we solve it?
http://www.ratrobot.com/java/ratrobot_help.jar  FREE APPLETS  JARS EDITORS CHOICE
www.ratrobot.com Articles that challenge your ideas about yourself and the world you
live in.

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Your assumptions for why Windows is dominant is flawed.  You assume that it's a good
>idea
> to try and emulate Windows by "engineering an OS from scratch with the objective of
>being
> as close to the windows platform as possible".  It is not.
>
> Your statements about Linux are also incorrect (see below).
>

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 01:19:01 +1000, Cat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >I was considering the reasons for windows dominance of the OS market and the huge
>problems
> >of getting developers for Linux, Mac etc. Linux is a solution to a different
>problem that
> >just happens to have been successful in some desktop areas. It's a port of Unix to
>a Intel
> >box pure and simple. The Mac OS developed before and simultaneously with windows
>platform
> >and so it fundamentally different to it.
>

> Linux is NOT a "port of unix to a Intel box pure and simple".  Linux runs on x86,
>AMD,
> PowerPC, Alpha, IBM S/390, embedded devices, and probably more that I am forgetting.
> This
> is clearly more than "unix ported to an Intel box pure and simple"
>

> >    I was wondering if anyone has ever considered doing to the OS market what AMD
>did to
> > the
> >chip market. Why not engineer an OS from scratch with the objective of being as
>close to
> >the windows platform as possible for application development? You could make it
>open source
> >and free and include Java and other cross platform API in all distributions.
> >    It would certainly be a big investment but their would still be enough money in
>the
> >coffers of companies like Sun and IBM to do it. Assuming that they had the right
>business
> >plan from the start. Which is to make it free for the client side and low cost and
>scalable
> >for the server side until you got a significant % of the client side market.
>
> You have many flawed assumptions in your above statements.
>
> >    If I could run a free OS that allowed me to run virtually all of the software
>that runs
> > on
> >windows I would even think about paying for windows.
> >

> Huh?  Just buy Windows then.

- -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
From: Rich Teer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000?
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 23:32:44 GMT

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, it was written:

> receive can be opened and intelligible. Since everyone uses Word, this can
                                                ^^^^^^^^

Where did you get that nonsense?  I, and a lot of people I know, won't touch Word.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Multitasking
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 23:32:41 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Barry Manilow
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 01 Apr 2001 21:23:41 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Stephen S. Edwards II
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on 31 Mar 2001 20:46:00 GMT
>> <9a5fm8$qei$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> >The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> >
>> >8<SNIP>8
>> >
>> >: The Amiga was definitely an impressive machine -- and I still
>> >: hear rumors of it coming back. :-)  (Maybe it's because
>> >: Microsoft hasn't ported NT to it yet...)
>> >
>> >Sadly, I've been reading about those same rumors since '94.
>> >
>> >They never came to fruition, so I wouldn't get my
>> >hopes up if I were you.  :-(
>
>Stephen is wrong, as he often is.  There is a new company being run by
>Fleecy Moss and other long-time Amiga fans.  Gateway is history.  They
>have money and backing and are probably going to follow thru on their
>plans.  They are presently making a "developer's machine" which will
>have 500 MHZ and 64 MB of upgradeable memory.  They are presently
>selling their Amiga SDK for $100.  What they are planning is rather
>confusing.  It has something to do with Tao (an OS) and Java.  The
>Amiga OS will be able to "run on top of" most any other OS out there,
>including Windows and Linux.  The Tao OS is supposedly
>"hardware-independent", that is it will run on most anything.  I
>believe the OS is embedded in the chip somehow and there is emulation
>for most CPU's in there.  To get it to run on a different chip, all
>you have to do is a recompile.  It is all very confusing and I wish
>someone would explain it to me better.  They also say present Amiga
>users would be able to "upgrade".
>
>  I now have an Amiga 3000 running Linux,
>> which is good enough -- although I rarely fire it up anymore.
>
>Didn't know Linux would run on an Amiga.  Interesting.

It's been there for awhile.  The kernel also runs on an Atari.
Of course, since my PP200 has 200 bogomips and my Amiga 3000 has all
of 2, guess which one I tend to use more often. :-)  There's also
the 2 megs of disk space on the A3000 -- that's a mere pittance,
nowadays (I have 20 megs on my PP200, and 10 megs on my P90).

[.sigsnip]

                    The Usenet channel.  All messages, all the time.

------------------------------

From: "Cat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:40:44 +1000

Whether "The Evil Empire" is in the form of .NET or windows the idea is the same. Take
away
the application development problems and let them succeed on the basis of there OS
skills.

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:39:35 +0000

Rich Teer wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, it was written:
>
>> receive can be opened and intelligible. Since everyone uses Word,
>> this can
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^
>
> Where did you get that nonsense?  I, and a lot of people I know, won't
> touch Word.
>
> --
> Rich Teer
>
> President,
> Rite Online Inc.
>
> Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

He means "everyone who counts"  :-)

Hell, I've got it installed on a Windoze partition and don't even know
how to use it.  I do know how to use StarOffice.

------------------------------

From: "Cat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:42:06 +1000

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: 2 Apr 2001 18:43:06 -0500

> "Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
> > Really now.  I would also ask how in the hell
> > you've determined that Microsoft has merely
> > implemented some 4.4BSD code in order to
> > get Windows2000.  Do you have access to the
> > WindowsNT v4.0 and v5.0 source trees?
>
> the "strings" command finds embedded strings in ANY file, including
> compiled executables and dll files.
>
> "Copyright (C), Regents of the University of California" strings have
> been found in Mafia$oft's DLL files.
>
> Hope that helps.

I don't believe you. How about showing us one?

------------------------------

From: "Alex Chaihorsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: 02 Apr 2001 23:49:16 GMT

Erb,

You have to be honest. We know you have problems with honesty.
But "Is" is "Is".
In the middle of the discussion you suddenly remembered that the original
meaning of Liberalism, which has nothing to do with contemporary Liberalism.
Smart move. But may be it is me, who is dishonest here? let the readers
decide.
As you know, words, do not really mean anything on its own. Like many words
that describe groups and events on the political landscape, "Liberalism"
means different things at different times.
Liberalism in its original 18th century British form sought individual
liberties and was opposed to the growing power of the governments. The
American Constitution is the crescendo of Western Liberalism ideology.
Contemporary liberalism has nothing to do with it. Actually, it is almost
the exact opposite: - a collectivist ideology. But do not take my word for
it.
The Encyclopedia Britannica (1998 edition) defines the relation between the
two the best:
 "The expansion of government power and responsibility sought by liberals
today is clearly opposed to  the contraction of government power and
responsibility sought by liberals yesterday."
Please,  everyone, re-read this passage again!  Da ist der Hund begraben!

Two most famous founders of liberalism, John Locke (1632-1704), the
philosopher of individual liberty and Adam Smith (1723?-1790), the author of
classical liberal laissez-faire economic theory are spinning in their graves
"listening" to what became of their ideology today.
In modern time, it was Margaret Thatcher, who represented classic liberalism
most eloquently. She, President Ronald Reagan and to some extent Secretary
General Gorbachev, were the most recent champions of the liberal cause in
its original form.  I bow in deep respect to these noble giants of
liberalism, to who we owe our recent victories over the monster of the world
Communism.
That has nothing to do with socialists and communists that have stolen the
word (as they always do, because they have to distance themselves from the
horrors of their original ideology).
So, Dana is right, and if you claim that Liberal Democracy definition today
has retain the meaning of Liberalism of the 18th century, you have to become
small government, no free lunch, individualist, which you are obviously NOT.

But we would like you to be that.  What would it take for you to abandon
your socialist agenda? Yet another tens of millions of tortured and killed
by Communist NKVD-KGB? More artificial hunger like in 1920-ies in Ukraine
that caused the biggest outbreak of documented cannibalism known to men?More
dead bodies than you already had in Cambodia?
I remember how "Comrade Pol Pot" was marching down the hall of the Palace of
Communism in Moscow during XXIV World Communist Congress. How General
Secretary Of the Communist Party of USA - Guss Hall (we called him "Gas
Hall") was standing next to him, apploading. Cambodia was in the middle of
the its carnage at the time, but American Communists an Socialist were
there, in Moscow, applauding the butcher.
You hope that we forgot. No, Erb. Americans forgot, kind souls that they
are, we didn't.

Alex Chaihorsky
Reno, NV

"Scott Erb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Dana wrote:
> >
> > No Erb, you are the one that is wrong. We are a constitutional republic.
We

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 23:51:13 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Karel Jansens
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 02 Apr 2001 18:15:34 +0000
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Chad Myers wrote:
>>

>> PocketPC, OTOH, seems to have Internet pervasive just like Windows
>> where every app uses a common Internet access method and many apps
>> are integrated with Internet Explorer.
>>
>This is so funny. "Internet pervasive just like Windows", the operating
>system that had to have a TCP/IP stack bolted onto it, because Bill
>Gates thought the Internet was a hype and everybody was going MSN
>anyway?

Unix also had TCP/IP bolted onto it.  However, the bolts in this
case are now countersunk, :-) and in any event that was 15-20
years ago.

Linux, of course, isn't Unix (though I'd be hard pressed to tell
the difference!) and TCP/IP was more or less a given.
Mind you, it might have been "bolted on" as well, as a driver
add-on, early in its development, but it works as well
as straight Unix in that regard.

[rest snipped]

                    This space for rent.