From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:09:18 -0700

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 14:37:58 +1200, Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >That sounds pretty stupid.  For the record, I am not from the UK, I'm from
> >New Zealand.
> >
> >Also, that was the typical septic tank reply I was expecting.  For a country
> >that raises their youth to only know what happens in Septic Tank Land, I am
> >surprised you don't have more problems than you do now.  A president that
> >wants to screw the earth. A ex-president who couldn't keep his dick in his
> >underwear, high school shootings left, right and centre, KKK - created in a
> >country that promots "racial tolerance", Jahova Witnesses and Mormons - only
> >country that accepts weird, screwed up cults, I swear, I have never met a
> >New Zealander or an Aussie who is a Johava witness, and if I do meet one in
> >New Zealand, they are a septic tanks, still using imperial measurements,
> >which is quite surprising that you (Septic's), tried to rid yourself of all
> >things associated with the UK, except you missed that minor detail, a
> >country whose population throws out 25% of the worlds pollution, cars that
> >are so big and chew through petrol so fast, I swear a hot curry would stay
> >in me longer.....need I go on further?
> >

> New Zealand....a bunch of Australian wanna-bees.  The only thing on New
> Zealand worth anything are the sheep...and there's LOTS of those.
> Can you say: "That's my Da-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-d"?   Sheesh, you guys don't
> even have a constitution...some thing you all wrote up in 1986 but you
> still haven't enacted it.  Probably too busy trying to get Australian
> work visas.  And what's with that flag with the little union jack in
> the corner?  Couldn't you come up with something original?  Of course,
> the only people with any brains in New Zealand are the Maori people.
> All the europeans are a bunch of mongrol rejects from English
> orphanages and debtors prisons.  Even the Australians wouldn't take
> ya.  Man!  You guys don't even have your own continent.  Just stuck off
> in the ocean on those dinky islands inbreeding with the sheep
> and playing rugby night and day.  And what kind of a name is Auckland
> anyway.  Can't you guys spell?

I thought it was AWK-land. :-)

He does have a point from anothers eyes tho.  This country does have a
problem... nothing that can't be fixed tho.
The good thing tho is that Matthew does have freedom to express his
thoughts.
I wish he would express his thoughts on the Sun Blade 100 that he is
working with tho.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:18:51 -0700

Tom Wilson wrote:

> Hey! Austin Healeys were damned cool! I had one albeit briefly. At 6'3", I
> didn't so much drive it as wear it

They were hot cars!  My friend had one and it took the state police 15
minutes to catch up to him when he went over the Tacoma Narrows bridge!

> > Here in America we call them go-carts.  Yes, you do have television, but
> it's
> > really crappy.

Yes, we have crappy writers, not television.

> I'll take "Are You Being Served?" reruns over OUR television any day of the
> week.
> Also....Two words.... Monty Python
>
> > Not only that, but you boil all your food until there's no taste left,
>
> Having eaten food prepared by Irish relatives, I have to agree with that
> point!
>
> > and you all have really bad teeth.  Do you have dentists over there?  Even
> your most
> > famous citizen, Austin Powers, has bad teeth.
>
> The dental thing is a mystery to me too...

Maybe its because of non-Flouride tooth paste?  I REALLY need to know
about this.

> > Here in America, everyone has bright
> > white teeth, big TV sets for watching great shows like Opra and Jerry
> Springer
>
> The very reasons I prefer BritCom reruns...
>
> > Ford  Excursions for going 1 mile to get a big juicy Wopper at Burger
> King...
>
> Who in the HELL came up with the idea to sell tanks to former BMW owning
> yuppies? I love watching "Buffy" and "Bif" try to manhandle those things
> during our infrequent snowstorms (Southern Tennessee). When I moved here, I
> wondered at the lack of sidewalks and the big-assed ditches on either side
> of the roads. I get it now...SUV collection pits.
>
> > and, of course, the SuperBowl.

I bought a Ford Bronco in 1988... what a LEMON!

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:21:49 -0700

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Rugby is more than a sport, its a religion, LOL!
>
> New Zealanders love their sport.  In fact, if you look at what happens when
> the all blacks win, the economy picks up, however, when they loose the
> economy slows down, so maybe the US need a decent rugby, soccer and cricket
> team to help fix up the sagging economy.

I wish it was as easy as that.

As an aside I liked the "Dr. Who?" series.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:25:16 -0700

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Chad Everett in alt.destroy.microsoft on 3 Apr 2001 10:39:17 -0500;
> >On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 08:51:41 GMT, T. Max Devlin
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Said Matthew Gardiner in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 03 Apr 2001
>shit? and
> >>
> >>[ - snip - ]
> >>
> >>But "gridiron" ('American football') is about *mass*, not *flexibility*,
> >>that's wtf with the pads and shit.  Rugby (isn't that what you guys call
> >>your version of gridiron?) is for pansies, in comparison.  You might as
> >>well play soccer.
> >>

> >The reason rugby players don't wear pads is because they get in the way
> >of touching each other's private parts while all piled up in a big
> >rugby orgy of love.
> >

> Thus providing the obvious "real explanation" for gridiron players
> wearing all those pads.  Everyone knows Americans are homophobic.
>
> --

You would be too in New York City!
Going to a public rest room (Loo) is an experience all of its own.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Java, the "Dot-Com" Language?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:31:15 -0700

Jonathan Thornburg wrote:

>    http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT021300000000
>
> I've just checked, and that URL is alive and well...

Thank you.  It proves my point.  Intel is stuck in the past like an
Alzheimer victim!

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 07:36:33 -0000

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><sigh> Do you guys ever think for youself?
>
>Do you think that any such terms would ever stand up in court?
>Of course not.
>
>Just because it's in a license agreement does not mean it's instantly
>law.

Ah, someone who still thinks that our court system is interested in
justice.  HELLO?!  Microsoft has money.  I don't.  That means "sued"
is, in practice, equivalent to "liable."

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 03:38:39 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm so happy!

Martigan wrote:

>    What makes me happy is what I can do with linux, windoze dreams about!
> You know what I did?  I typed $ info cp .  Thats it and got all the info on
> options and envocations. ;-)

Actually, you can do this on Windows, too, if you install Cygwin 32.
There are ports in that package for both man and info.  Also, Cygwin is
great, because I was able to compile XEmacs and Vim.  The bad part about
Cygwin, though, is its monumental slowness, and its ability to crash
Windows ME.

See, different operating systems have foundations in different cultures,
philosophies, and religions.  I'm the type of person who eschews word
processors in favor of LaTeX.  Years ago, when Word 2.0 was my mainstay
for all my word processing needs, I wished I knew how to write
impressive-looking documents with (La)TeX.  Now, it's just the
opposite:  I can't use Word, because the dang thing is so bloated with
consumer-pleasing features, but I find LaTeX is the only thing out there
that's usable for typesetting documents.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:36:35 -0700

Ed Allen wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> GreyCloud  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >cjt & trefoil wrote:
> >>
> >> Itel's strength is simultaneously its weakness.  All that legacy code.
> >> They have to keep it working.  But its existence drives their market.
> >>
> >> IMHO.
> >
> They are attempting to move away from the x86 instruction set because it
> is getting harder for them to get more performance out of it.
>
> They are attempting to promote IA-64 with Itanium and next year McKinley
> will appear.
>
> Both can only run x86 32-bit code through an on chip emulator or
> interpreter which I keep hearing is as slow as molasses.
>
> I think that their "more complex than CISC" processors are doomed when
> they get hit by AMD's Hammer series.
>
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/column/00q1/000209/index-01.html
>
> A Titanic Mistake
>
> Perhaps Intel's biggest mistake was its myopic concentration on a new
> 64-bit processor, all the while letting development of a viable next
> generation 32-bit processor languish.
>
>    [...]
>
> Ignoring the compiler issue, despite all of VLIW's promises, Itanium's
> grim reality is that it is very complex -- complexity that has resulted
> in its being woefully behind schedule. The Itanium is also extremely
> power hungry and hot. Staggeringly, some current Itanium samples consume
> well over 100 Watts. With such a copious appetite for electricity,
> an Itanium could double as the heating element in an E-Z Bake Oven. In
> part because of this heat, Intel has had trouble running the Itanium at
> high clock speeds.
>
> >Very true.  The only way Intel will break away from their current
> >designs is if MS writes Windows for other processors.  But I haven't
> >heard of that yet.
> >
> Only the Itanium is left:
>
> Bill Gates to preview Windows for Intel's Itanium chip
> http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/hottopics/intel/015343.htm
>
> It won't help if Intel cannot produce chips which run at a fast
> clock rate.
>
> --
> GPL says
>   "What's mine is ours,
>     If you make *OUR* stuff better the result is still ours."

Very well put!  Of all the years I spent in this industry, all I really
see is an overclocked 8080! Still one main register.  I will never buy
Intel stock as long as they hold onto the past!  Its time for them to
move forward before they self destruct.
But if the market continues its' downward trend... even Intel will never
be able to deliver an all too late chip to the market that will be in a
depression.  If they had done it right back in August, things would have
been different.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hey, JS PL was Re: Microsoft abandoning USB?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:43:58 -0700

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said JS PL in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 3 Apr 2001 08:47:02 -0400;
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> Prove it.  I don't have your posts; perhaps you do.  The conversation
> >> started and was always about IE5, AFAIK, and the posts *I* made
> >> mentioning it back in 1998 agree.
> >
> >I don't archive newsgroup posts. And forgot to video tape the event in
> >question, so I guess your SOL.
>
> Actually, it means you are.  There's now no reason for anyone to doubt
> that you did, in fact, blame your video card for an IE5 bug, and replace
> the board rather than remove the software.  (Not that that would have
> helped, as others who were in similar situations have learned; you can't
> uninstall the slip-streamed DLLs that screwed up the video in Windows.)
>
> Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

Ok. Now I see what you are getting at.  Its the chicken or the egg act.
Timing is important here.  Yes, you are correct!  Its IE5 that is the
problem.
Hey, I have an old mickeysoft fortran compiler... 4.51 that will not
install now.
So much for backward compatibility!

ICQ was another piece of software that violated the MFC42.DLL.  Damn
thing corrupts this particular file if your OEM provides one bigger than
ICQ!  At first HPs' system wizard crashed the system and took me a while
to figure it out.  Once I restored the original MFC42.DLL, I e-mailed
mirabilis.com for shoddy programming practices.  Now they do it
differently.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arrrrgh!  Hoist the Jolly Roger!
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:57:38 -0700

Bloody Viking wrote:

> GreyCloud ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : No,... I don't think so.  You see, with every release of windows, the
> : user has to keep upgrading to a newer system to maintain the same
> : response.  With the Pentium IV, which is turning into a space heater, it
> : will run XP just fine.... but not my wifes' PII @ 233 Mhz.  Linux offers
> : the end user the opportunity to hang on to their machines a lot longer
> : and go a lot easier on the wallet.  I introduced my wife to CDE (Common
>
> I recognised this very problem a long time ago, long before CPUs became foot
> warmers with the dissipated heat. I like knowing the machine I buy today will
> last for years to come with Linux on it. I will be buying a used laptop from a
> corporate "garage sale", surely surplus from the upgrade-go-round, but will
> get it for $75. And I'll be putting Linux on it. Maybe no X, but it will run
> Linux.
>
> : Desktop Environment) and she liked it a lot better than the Win98se that
> : she has now.  The tide is slowly turning as the common people that buy
> : off the shelf ready to run computers to find that things worked one way
> : yesterday and now things are working differently today.
>
> The upgrade-go-round is old hat. What's "new" is escalating prices for the
> Winblows software.
>
> : Or, the very frustrated user, putting up with lock-ups or BSODS.  The
> : end user will start viewing this as something akin to a "Lemon".  They
> : will eventually start trying alternatives to get away from these
> : frustrations.  I'm not including NT or W2K in this list as you don't see
> : these pre-loaded at any of our local stores, but maybe in large cities.
>
> Corporations are leading the way in looking for alternatives for servers now,
> becuse of chronic BSODs. And in my case as a commoner who uses Linux, I have
> distinct memories of lockups with 95 and 3.11. You'd be doing something and it
> would randomly lock up with a GPF or some such crap. I always loved the
> "general protection failt at <insert hex here>" message. Very user-UNfriendly!
>
> Windows is about as stable as a balancing bowl full of water.

LOL!!  The bowl of water trick is hard to do without spilling a drop.
If you don't want to spill any water is to not pick it up!

I may start a new thread on this one.  An old electronics tech, retired
after 33 years of service, but computer illiterate, wants to know if
there are any computers that come with an O/S other than mickeysoft but
still easy to use.  He doesn't want to know a whole hell of a lot about
the o/s... just wants to use it reliably.  He has on his right hand a
glove to keep his hand warm all of the time and can't use it on a mouse.
Does Linux have a good solution for a non-southpaw?  A pre-configured
system with no admin is desired.  He wants to communicate with his son
via web-cam and just surf.  He has fiber optics outside his house from
AT&T.  Any suggestions is really appreciated!

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:59:36 -0700

Bloody Viking wrote:

> JS PL ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : And a search for Microsoft at http://www.delphion.com/ turned up about 3500
> : results. That's about one new patent every three days since 1975. If I had
> : no life like the MS bashing regulars here, I might even peruse some of
> : Microsoft's innovative concepts in more depth. But why would I? Their
> : immense success with consumers and developers the least 26 years is proof
> : enough that they provide excellent products at competitive prices. The fact
> : that linux is struggling to maintain a 3 to 1000 computer ratio is proof
> : enough that nobody want's anything to do with it on the desktop.
>
> Fun question. Is it possible to patent the "look n' feel" of the wording of
> copyright licenses or other contracts? If so, I bet a lot of patents cover
> such shenanigans.
>
> More fun. We all know idiots come a dime a dozen. We found the supplier of the
> dimes in the form of Bill Gates. That is the only known supplier capable of
> supplying enough dimes to populate the Earth with quite so many idiots... like
> Winblows morons.

The really funny part is that Wintrolls hate to be called "Billy Butt
Crusts"!
Like in Bill Gates(?)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 04:02:02 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 14:21:51 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Roberto Alsina wrote:

>this

> >> If it's a duty, it's not volunteer.
> >
> >Wrong.  It's a MORAL duty, as opposed to a legal obligation.
>
> So, it's not a real duty. I find there is a stronger moral duty not to kill
> other people.

No, there is a strong moral duty not to MURDER people.

Killing people who are part of invading mob is not murder, it's defense
of life....it's fighting against bullies.

> >>                                       Are you saying that everyone who
> >> didn't volunteer to kill everyone the generals deem unworthy of living
> >> is a traitor?
> >
> >I like Heinlein's idea that only those who give service to their
> >country should be allowed the full rights of citizenship.
> >
> >it would limit the political power of the parasites.
>
> It would make being a bully a requirement. Well, you surely would

Non sequitor.  How does service = being a bully.  Are you saying
that medics are bullies...that finance clerks are bullies....

You should try dropping the 18th century stereotypes and deal with
the real world of today.

> like that.

> And you REALLY didn't understand Space troopers at all. It flew right
> over your head.

> >> You are the problem. Or rather, mindless drones willing to kill without
> >> remorse or thought are the problem.
> >
> >Actually, there are all sorts of rules and limits placed on soldiers.
> >Geneva Convention, Theater Commander's and local commander's rules
> >of engagement, international law, etc.
>
> Blah. Your commander says "kill him", you go kill him. That's not
> thinking.

Any soldier who obeys any and all such orders without first testing it
against the considerations which I listed above (Geneva Convention,
etc.) is going to find himself in the prison at Fort Leavenworth.

The US army routinely prosecutes American soldiers who have
wrongfully killed civilians and other noncombatants in the midst
of ongoing wars.

> >>                                      You are just pretending to be the
> >> problem.
> >
> >The power to declare war is SOLELY in the hands of Congress.
>
> And you are eager to follow them wherever they decide to send you.

No, I am not.

> You are a mindless executioner of the politicians you despise.

Name all of the politicians which I have killed...

> You are a waste of a human.

sure.

> A pity. If you had not been so thoroughly brainwashed, you could
> have been a person.

You have failed to name even one person whom I have wrongfully killed.

> >Congress is elected according to the laws of the US Constitution.
> >
> >If you don't like a war that we get into...then the source of the
> >problem, ultimately, is your neighbors.
>
> Sure. I seem to have missed the border between the US and Colombia,
> though. And between the US and Grenada. And panama. And Chile.

I trust the procedures set forth in the Constitution for making such
decisions.  Why would I take an oath to defend it if I felt that the
procedure was wrong.

There's a word for military personell who refuse to obey Congress's
decision to go to war: DESERTER.

> Not too close, those neighbours. And of course, the US NEVER
> would start a war because it fits the US, right? The US was just
> defending themselves. EVERY TIME. Yeah, right.

It's better to fight a war BEFORE it gets to your own borders.

Hope that helps.

> >Hope that helps.
>
> Not even close.

You sound very naive in the ways of the world.

> --
> Roberto Alsina

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 04:03:32 -0400

billh wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>
> > Yes.  I volounteered to uphold my DUTY,
>
> Is that what you call the statement that you'd only elect to attend PLDC in
> the event of another war.  That ain't duty KuKuNut.  That is malingering.

If my commander WANTS to send me to PLDC.

Personally, I couldn't care less about my rank.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.