  Re: Does OSS evolve? ("Paolo Ciambotti")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:09:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, silverback
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:24:18 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:18:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>(The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
>
>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, silverback
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote
>>on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:51:42 GMT
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>>bullshit you lying sack of shit. Fascism is the polar opposite of
>>>communism. They have nothing in common.
>>
>>For the record.
>>
>>Communism is an economic system, usually implemented by an
>>authoritarian central government, at least under definition 1
>>(which also states that it's theoretical; I'd have to state that we've
>>never successfully implemented 100% pure communism -- or capitalism,
>>for that matter).  However, definition 2a (www.dictionary.com) seems
>>to be nearly identical, at least as far as power concentration is
>>concerned, to fascism, although fascism also adds suppression of the
>>opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of
>>belligerent nationalism and racism.
>
>sorry moron fascism is a right wing ideology. Fascism is always a top
>down revolution by the elites and is nothing more than corporate rule
>by the privileged class.
>   Fascism is based on capitalism.

Thanks for the ad hom, but the dictionary makes no mention of
left versus right wing.  I for one am unsure exactly how to
specify the diff; I like to think of it as a circle; at some point,
the extreme right wing and left wing meet at the anticenter, where
no one wants to be (the center is where everyone wants to be).

I may have to do some more research, of course (after all, the dictionary
isn't the be-all and end-all of everything). But I'm not at all sure
the labels "left" and "right" convey as much meaning as they used to;
the labels "conservative" and "liberal" are also corrupted (the
Republicans like to be termed "conservative", but they're downright
reactionary in some of their policies, nor is it clear what we're
trying to conserve when we go back to "tried and true" values -- values
that are now more or less totally borked).

>>I rather doubt the intelligent layperson is going to care all that much
>>about whether communism differs from fascism, as they both have
>
>another lying republiCON.

I take it you doubt my doubt.  Well, doubt away.

As for Democrats, it's been fairly clear that their policies, while
highly desirable from the people's point of view and rather successful
(not sure if it's by design or by accident; one issue, for instance,
is that the economy always goes up during Democratic administrations
more than during Republican -- why, I haven't a clue, although I suspect
it may be in part because of increased government spending), aren't
exactly pure to the ideological core of the Constitution.

I'll have to find it, but our now ex-President suggested at one point
that we should conduct random weapons searches in housing projects,
and Louis Freeh, who is still employed, suggested at one point
(if memory serves; I can't find that quote, either) that the FBI
should be able to decrypt any message required by court order (never
mind the technological difficulties).  This may not be unreasonable
(the FBI, after all, is supposed to investigate illegal activities),
but it's very annoying -- and the fact he made such a statement suggests
he's slightly clueless regarding the finer technical aspects of
cryptography.  If he actually made it, that is.

To be fair, the Republicans have their own problems; big money
can do big corruption.  Teapot Dome, Watergate, and Iran Contra
come to mind; all of them were during Republican administrations.
(To be fair, the fault may be more on the shoulders of then-Secretary
(of the Interior) Albert B. Fall, who actually engineered the deal.)

Two older scandals.  The Whiskey Ring (1875) is, again,
Republicans -- I think.  The XYZ Correspondence scandal (1798) was so
early in our nation's history that there may be no elegant method to
blame it on Republicans -- and in any event, they were the then-left
party (the right wing were the Federalists).  (Source: Grolier's
Encyclopedia: http://gi.grolier.com/persidents/ea/genconts.html#SCANDALS)

Of course, there's Monicagate, Haircutgate, FBIfilegate, and a few
others -- but these are fairly paltry, apparently, even if
the Republicans tried to remove Clinton from office, making him the
second president ever impeached in the history of our country
(Andrew Jackon was the first).

Although FBIfilegate worries me.  (Note that the C-in-C is in charge
of the FBI; he is therefore presumably entitled to look at any citizen's
FBI file, if required -- but it still worries me.  Besides, why did
the files end up in the then-First Lady's office?  Peculiar.)

>>been responsible for wholesale slaughter in their most virulent forms
>>(Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin), and, from what I understand, quite a bit
>>of misery in their milder forms (the Taliban, Gorbachev, Yeltsin).
>>
>>It's not clear that pure capitalism will work miracles either -- I don't
>>know if Dickens' _A Tale Of Two Cities_, which I haven't read, is a
>>strawman, an observation lightly fictionalized, or somewhere in between --
>>and a democracy can be the most terrifying tyranny of all, which is
>>one reason why we have checks and balances and are set up as a representative
>>republic with democratically-voted state representatives; the original
>>Constitution, which has since been modified, had them voting for the
>>Federal reps.
>>
>>The US also kills, as well; we execute a handful of people every year
>
>forgot about how many thousands the drooling idiot raygun had murdered
>in Central America to support his puppet fascist regimes?

You forgot as well the hundreds of thousands we killed in Dresden
and Tokyo during the firebombing, as well as The Bomb (twice);
there are also issues as to how many villagers we killed in Vietnam,
all of which I had neglected, and as you point out the fiascoes in various
locations of the world, such as El Salvador and possibly Columbia
(or was that Bush that snatched Ole Pineapple-Face?).

There are also the deaths by malaria during the construction of
the Panama Canal -- far fewer than the French, who hadn't figured
out what carried the disease in their earlier attempt (the name
"malaria" means "bad air", which is where they thought it came from,
apparently).  People also died during construction of various bridges,
and probably the railroads.  I know people died during the Apollo
program, and Challenger.

Are we supposed to lay down and let the fascists, communists,
and such take over the world, instead?  Would that be a beneficial
outcome?  Should we stop progress?

The Tree of Liberty exacts its price; its price is human blood.
Many think that price is worth paying.  Do you?

Of course, like any payment, we should be careful, lest we pay too much.

>>through the court system (this is determined state-by-state) and
>>also a few through "friendly fire" (casualities inflicted by the enemy
>>are now very few) while exercising our interests outside of the country.
>>However, we might have executed at most a few thousand criminals since
>>the turn of the century; between Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini, Europe
>>and Russia lost as many as 100 million people; the Russians still have
>>a woman surplus.
>>
>>So which is the worst system?  I'd say that the worst system is
>>democracy -- but for all the others.  And even then, it has to
>>be properly implemented, lest we decide tomorrow that all blacks,
>>Jews, Chinese, Mexicans, or Irish Catholics are persona non grata
>>by popular vote.
>>
>>[.sigsnip]
>>
>>--
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
>>EAC code #191       4d:04h:54m actually running Linux.
>>                    You were expecting something relevant down here?

>GDY Weasel
>emailers remove the spam buster
>
>For those seeking enlightenment visit the White Rose at
>
>http://www.spiritone.com/~gdy52150/whiterose.htm

                    Use the source, Luke.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:17:05 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gamma
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 20:06:43 GMT
<nJJA6.394$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Roberto Selbach Teixeira  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> vim does.
>>>

>>And it sucks too! The obvious choice is (and always will be) FSF Emacs!
>

>Holy war off the port bow!!
>
>[launches "Notepad rules!" missiles, which promptly misfire]

Here.  Try these Wordpad and J++ Visual Studio missile variants.
They'll only go 30 degrees off course, instead.  :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random file editing missile here
                    All hail the Invisible Pink Unicorn (pbuh)!

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: another example of why Linux is brain dead.
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:30:20 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> pip wrote:
> >
> > Goldhammer wrote:
> >
> > > It's confusing because IDE/ATAPI is confusing. If the
> > > desktop world all used SCSI as the gods decreed they should,
> > > nobody would be confused. But man has fashioned for himself
> > > graven images like IDE, and strayed from the path of
> > > righteousness.
> >
> > I shall endeavour to switch from my IDE madness if thou can provide a
> > gift of the overpriced controller cards and the overpriced devices to
> > which it connects. The SCSI vendors pockets groan with the gold that
>
> SCSI cards are worth their weight in gold.
>
> > hath been confiscated from thy performance freaks. May they have
> > multiple transactions on their bus and feel better for it. May they have
> > multiple channels for their data. May I not be jealous of my neighbours
> > bandwidth or burst speeds for I am a proud IDE user.
> > :-)
>
> How much did you spend on your CPU?
>
> When I build a system, I usually buy the SLOWEST CPU I can find, and
> put the savings into SCSI peripherals.
>
> I've got a 500MHz K6-2, with 256MB of memory on board, connected to
> 80 MB SCSI-II (Ultra-Wide) disks, and the disk drives are STILL the
> major bottleneck.

SCSI is the only way to go. My first PC/XT used a Future Domain
controller. My 300 MHz PII with 256 MB of memory is connected to 2 drives
via an Adaptec 2940. Also, I run a zip drive, an HP scanner and a CD-ROM
through the same controller. Linux correctly recognized everything right
out of the box. All I had to do was mount the devices.  Certainly the best
bang for the dollar.

--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:31:27 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:06:22 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:23:33 -0400
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> >No, no, no, no, no.
>> >
>> >Ed is THE editor.
>> >==================
>> >http://www.billabong.demon.co.uk/ed.html
>> >

>> >When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi
>> >*and* Emacs are just too damn slow.  They print useless messages like,
>> >'C-h for help' and '"foo" File is read only'.  So I use the editor
>> >that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.
>>
>> Good god man!  At least get yourself an ADM3A terminal and
>> a 300 baud.... :-)
>
>I miss those old ADM terminals.
>
>Of course, I also miss the teletypes.
>
>Both have their strengths.

A friend of mine gave me a WYSE-60 serial terminal.  (Or maybe
a WYSE-50.  I forget now.  It was a green screen, anyway.)
Kinda fun to play with, if one has a spare serial port and
isn't afraid to edit /etc/inittab to provide said terminal
with a login prompt; one can also use it as a console messager
by configuring syslogd.  And it worked for such things as vi
very well -- hurrah for historical entries in /etc/terminfo.

Sadly, the terminal blew a transistor or something after 3 days (and
a fuse; replacing said fuse, which took awhile to find, led to blowing
the replacement fuse) and is now in my junk pile.  Sigh.  It was fun
while it lasted; maybe I'll get another one.  Of course, maybe not;
we're not exactly swimming in spare electric power here anymore.

(THE editor?  Well, out of TECO, vi, Notepad, Emacs (which I don't
know that well; please don't flame me), Edlin (yuck), EDIT,
XEDIT, Wordpad, Wordstar (which I might have touched once, but
can't say for sure), Word, VC++'s editor (which is different from
Notepad), and Java's built-in TextArea, I pick vi.  For me, that's
THE editor -- but I'm not going to say it's best for you,
or anyone else. :-) )

[rest snipped]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random editor here
                    This space for rent.

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Inktomi Webmap -- Apache has 60% now.
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:59:36 GMT

Paolo Ciambotti wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "The Ghost
> In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> [snip]
>
> Last month's report on secure webserver marketshare by Netcraft again gave
> the lead to Microsoft, and they noted that this was due to the fact that
> there really is a dearth of competition in this market segment.
It is only true if you calculate marketshare in dollars. MS always wins
there because, well, Apache is free and MS is way overpriced.

--
Russ Lyttle
"World Domination through Penguin Power"

------------------------------

From: Kenny Chaffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:08:07 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> I miss those old ADM terminals.
>
> Of course, I also miss the teletypes.
>
> Both have their strengths.
>

> > [rest snipped]
> >
> > --
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- that's just so 80's
> > EAC code #191       4d:06h:36m actually running Linux.
> >                     The Usenet channel.  All messages, all the time.

But did you build your's from a kit?

KAC
--
Kenny A. Chaffin
KAC Website Design - http://www.kacweb.com

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows in space......
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:10:12 GMT

Roy Culley wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett) writes:
> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:31:53 -0400, Patrick McAllister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Probably a duplicate post, but if not, makes for a funny....kinda.....read.
> >>
> >>http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,42912,00.html
> >
> > This is worth a short quote, don't you think?:
> >
> > 2:00 a.m. Apr. 7, 2001 PDT
> >
> > The space station, which has been operational for less than five
> > months, experiences almost daily computer glitches, according to
> > the commander's log recently published on the Web.
> >
> > Most of the problems appear to be related to Microsoft's Windows NT,
> > while Russian-made software seems to be more reliable.
>
> Did Microsoft ever state that their SW would function in micro-gravity
> conditions? :-)

No, but a couple of months ago all their trolls were blasting away about
how NT was going to be running the space station. Even insisted that it
was flying the station because NASA did some simulations on NT. Now we
see that it can't even keep the e-mail up.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:46:11 GMT

Machine wrote:

>I pick vi.  For me, that's
>THE editor -- but I'm not going to say it's best for you,
>or anyone else. :-) )

You're going to get kicked off Usenet with an attitude like
that. As one of my nieces would say: "You suck at this game!"

;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm into SOFTWARE!
                                  at

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:46:32 -0700

OK... I want to get the directions straight so I know what to do.  Should I
fuck off or should aaron?  Or should we both fuck off?  You know, I wish you
would be more specific with this shit.  Fucking off is a serious endeavor
and I don't want to waste any of my energy on unnecessary fucking off if I
don't have to.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:47:14 -0700

Hell, Bill, I thought it was a pretty snappy come-back.  Kinda like "Oh
yeah!"

Roger
AIRBORNE!

news:m0HA6.4657$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:48:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kenny Chaffin wrote:

>> I miss those old ADM terminals.
>
>But did you build your's from a kit?

When I was in college, we had a bunch of ADM3's built from
kits.  These were the pre-microprocessor days: a single 40-pin
DIP for the UART and 1.5 square feet of solid 7400 TTL logic.
All socketed dips.  After a few months the sockets started
going bad, so they sucked all the sockets out and soldered the
DIPs to the boards.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  What's the MATTER
                                  at               Sid?... Is your BEVERAGE

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:48:49 -0700

Roberto, you are an ass.  You started out pretty good but now you are just
another oxygen bandit making noise but saying nothing.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:51:40 -0700

Here is another example of you ignorance and inability to discuss.  The
quote is "Thou shalt not murder", if you have studied at all.  Jesus also
said "Render unto Caesar..." which can be interpreted to mean do your duty
to you government.  Soldiers do that.

Oh yeah... Roberto...

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does OSS evolve?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:09:42 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ronald Landheer"

> Do operating systems evolve? Strictly speaking - no they don't. Do they
> change and mature under selective pressures from environmental stresses?
> Yes, they do.  Is this driven by random mutations and natural selection?
> No, it isn't. Hence, the term "evolution" as applied in Biology does not
> apply.
>
> Greetz!
>
> Ronald

Or maybe they're bred and culled just like cattle.  Does the Brangus ( a
cross between a Brahma and a Black Angus) qualify as evolution?  If it had
occurred in nature without human intervention, it probably could be
considered a random mutation.  But the breed happened into existence
mainly because a human was curious what the outcome might be.

Why isn't managed mutation considered evolution?  Is unnatural selection
(culling) an evolutionary process or not?