From: "Todd" <todd<remove>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: another example of why Linux is brain dead.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:03:15 +0800

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Why didn't you ask for help?

It seems to me that an OS should *shield* the user from the pains of getting
devices to work.  Why oh why should one have to INSTALL anything?  The
device should be automatically installed and set up (as windows 2000 PNP
does)...

Also, the software should be intuitive to use.

> too worried that your fragile ego will be crushed?
> You are probably like the thousand who have tried Linux, then suddenly
find out
> that just by clicking the start button doesn't make you a computer expert.

The start button doesn't make one an expert, but at least it makes things
easy and intuitive for non computer 'experts'.  Why should one *have* to be
an expert to use computers?  Computers are supposed to make *life* easier
and more convenient for the average person.

I remember back in the earlier 80s when households had this idea that
computers and robots were going to make life *simpler* because they would do
tasks that we humans now do.

Linux runs counter to this in almost every regard.  Windows still has a ways
to go.

> Instead of eating humble pie and asking for help, they then have the nerve
> post on COLA to bitch about the fact that they were to incompetent to get
> something to work.

The poster actually seemed quite educated with regards to Linux.  If you
have to be *more* educated than that, Linux will never hit mainstream.
Windows will continue to get easier, and continue dominating.

> I read the documentation, and actually follow the instructions, and voila,
I have
> a working CD-Writer. So get over it, and grow up.

Seems like an accomplishment to Linux users... just another simple fact of
life for Windows users.

BTW, this post says *nothing* about Linux' capabilities as a server OS,
please don't misinterpret me.  However, as a desktop OS for the average
person, Linux has a looooooooooong way to go.

-Todd

> Matthew Gardiner
>

> "kirk@do_not_spam" wrote:
>
> > I spend the last 3 hours trying to mount a CD on linux and finally
> > gave up. I wasted too much time. Booted windows NT, stuck the CD in,
> > and on I went to work.
> >
> > If anyone thinks this junk will compete with windows they must be
> > out of their minds.
> >
> > And before anyone tells me I am a newbie, I am not.
> >
> > I had a IDE r/w CDROM. with SUSE 7.1, kernel 2.4, and KDE latest and
greatest.

> > Wanted to burn some files into the CD (which on windows is a breeze).
> >
> > so I started KonCD  (or whatver that thing is called that comes with
KDE).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: 11 Apr 2001 22:52:18 -0500

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:53:12 -0600, Jerry Coffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>From what I've seen, it IS true that quite a few Java VMs _seem_ to
>have been written in complete ignorance of the 30 years or so of work
>that's been done on garbage collectors for Lisp, Smalltalk, Self,
>etc.  At the same time, the speed of GC tends to depend heavily upon
>object usage.  Oddly enough, the fact that Java looks like C and is
>probably attracting lots of programmers who aren't accustomed to
>having a GC around is likely to work against the speed of GC.  When
>you're using GC, creating a temporary object to do something like
>returning a value tends to be _cheap_.  When you're using something
>like C or Pascal, it tends to be expensive, so quite a few former C
>and Pascal programmers tend to shy away from it even when it would
>work perfectly well.  In doing so, they often create situations that
>make even a really well written GC substantially less efficient than
>it could otherwise have been.

Why on earth are you comparing Java with C and Pascal?  I think the
discussion has been around Java and C++.

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <todd<remove>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD on Linux?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:06:01 +0800

Heh... I heartily agree that the code should not be illegal.  I downloaded
the Decss software (or whatever) when I read about it in the press... the
lawsuit probably got more people to download it.  LOL

And I don't even have a DVD player.

-Todd

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <todd<remove>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT is stagnant while Linux explodes
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:18:09 +0800

"667 Neighbor of the Beast" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Anonymous wrote:
>  > >

> 41% is not rules.  Anyway, since Linux is is Unix, let us combine the
> Unix and Linux scores.  Now it reads:
>
> Windows 41%
> Unix 41%
> Netware 17%
> Other 2%
>
> Let us not forget that Windows has been stagnant for 3 years.  3 years
> ago, they were at 39%, now they are at 41%.  And that is with the
> strength of a criminal monopoly being leveraged wildly all the way.

Ummm... MS has a monopoly ON THE DESKTOP.

The server arena is an entirely different matter.

And, having a monopoly isn't criminal.  Regarding the trial:  the court will
overturn the rule and MS will eventually win.  (My prediction :)

> If with that built-in guarantee, they still cannot cut it.  Linux's
> momentum is astounding; NT's is basically flat!

This is true, however.  Linux is able to take hold where the cost of the OS
is significant.  For most big corporations, the cost of the OS is small in
comparison to labor costs...

-Todd

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <todd<remove>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Phases
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:26:19 +0800

"David Jordan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9afpu5$sok$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>    First you learn Windows, then you discover things, then
> you learn GNU/Linux, then discover things, then you back
> to Windows to work quicker, but with a GNU/Linux
> firewall between you and the net.

No need for Linux here... I just installed a 'switch' to share my cable
modem across my 4 win2000 machines... it has a built in firewall.

Nobody can get at me now!  Mwahahaha

Well, nobody got at me before I had the switch either... but since I'm using
DHCP it'd be hard to get the IP I guess since I don't register my comp. name
in the DNS server.  heh.

Anyway, no need for Linux was my message regarding simple firewalls.

For security, always use *dedicated* hardware firewalls... hackers are more
likely to attack known systems. ie. Windows or UNIX servers.

-Todd

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <todd<remove>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:28:07 +0800

"Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Joseph T. Adams" wrote:
> >
> > David Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > :    First you learn Windows, then you discover things, then
> > : you learn GNU/Linux, then discover things, then you back
> > : to Windows to work quicker, but with a GNU/Linux
> > : firewall between you and the net.
> >
> > My work goes a lot more quickly under Linux because it's more reliable
> > than 'Doze, and has free first-class tools for everything I do (I'm a
> > software developer, and do a little writing as well).
> >
> > Joe
>
> The reliability is a given. You can automate much more. Scripting can save
> much time.  Just helped a colleague change a large IIS web site. The owner
> of the site had just changed their company name. My colleague was
> struggling with 1000's of files using Interdev. In 10 minutes, I wrote a
> Perl script that made all the changes. Regular expressions and Perl's
> powerful string handling made this an almost trivial task. Under Interdev,
> my colleague would be clicking away for days.

Apparently you aren't familiar with JScript (ECMAScript) built into Windows
2000... [see Windows Scripting Host]

It supports regular expressions as well.

So, with Windows, you can write a script OR you could use Interdev.  You
have a choice with Windows.

-Todd

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Article:  Windows XP won't support USB 2.0
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:20:24 -0400

"Todd

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Henry_Barta wrote:
> > >
> > > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >     [...]
> quality,
> > >
> > >     Agreed. At Microsoft, Quality is job 1.1
> >
> > But as usual, it doesn't really work until version 3.1
>
> Ummm... which is really version 1.0 and not 3.1.  :)
>
> -Todd

No, Todd, you shameless anus-sucking apoligist.

Mafia$oft sells their alpha-level development as 1.0, and their Beta-level
development as 2.0....the same quality software which every other
software company on the planet would be EMBARRASSED to charge money for.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:20:56 -0400

"Todd

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Actually, I think it reduces consumer confusion about the product.  Ask
> > > anyone on the street what Tivoli is, then ask them what a "Management
> > > Console" is.  They probably won't know either, but they can make a guess
> at
> > > the second.
> >
> > No...it's a specific technique so that whenever someone uses the generic
> > term for some kind of software, the Pointy-Haired Bosses will *THINK*
> > that the person is referring to the Mafia$oft shitware sold under that
> name.
>
> Gee, sounds like MS has a good idea of their own.

You're claiming that Mafia$oft invented FRAUD?

> > I'm thinking of trademarking the term "Operating System", and charging
> > Mafia$oft with infringement every time they use it.
>
> Go ahead and try.  If you succeed, let me know.  I'd figure I could patent
> the word 'the'.  :)
>
> -Todd
>

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >
> > K: Truth in advertising:
> > Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shalala,
> > Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan,
> > Special Interest Sierra Club,
> > Anarchist Members of the ACLU
> > Left Wing Corporate Extremist Ted Turner
> > The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
> > Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,
> >

> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
> >

> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Phlip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: 12 Apr 2001 04:31:41 GMT

Proclaimed Chad Everett from the mountaintops:

> Bull.  Which Borland IDE are you talking about?  They have several.

I logged 3 years on the BC++ 2.0 for OS/2.

The cod-hammed thing did not even have accelerator keys for the menu items.

To keep my hands on the home row, I had to <Alt+F> to drop a menu, then hit
the hotkey of the label of the item there.

I got so fast I sounded like a 'vi' user. When she or he's doing twice the
work.

--
  Phlip                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
============== http://phlip.webjump.com ==============

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:27:06 -0400

"Todd

> "667 Neighbor of the Beast" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >  > >

> > 41% is not rules.  Anyway, since Linux is is Unix, let us combine the
> > Unix and Linux scores.  Now it reads:
> >
> > Windows 41%
> > Unix 41%
> > Netware 17%
> > Other 2%
> >
> > Let us not forget that Windows has been stagnant for 3 years.  3 years
> > ago, they were at 39%, now they are at 41%.  And that is with the
> > strength of a criminal monopoly being leveraged wildly all the way.
>
> Ummm... MS has a monopoly ON THE DESKTOP.
>
> The server arena is an entirely different matter.
>
> And, having a monopoly isn't criminal.

True, but committing crimes to maintain the monopoly IS a crime in
addition to the crimes alluded to at the beginning of this sentance.

Kind of like posessing a gun is not illegal, but posessing a gun
in the comission of a felony is a crime in addition to the felony
that was committed.

>  Regarding the trial:  the court will
> overturn the rule and MS will eventually win.  (My prediction :)

IBM case law says you're wrong.

All of these questions were decided in Federal court 30 years
ago when IBM was behaving the same way.

Read Thomas Watson Jr's autobiography (which was published YEARS
before Microsoft was on anybody's radar screen)

> > If with that built-in guarantee, they still cannot cut it.  Linux's
> > momentum is astounding; NT's is basically flat!
>
> This is true, however.  Linux is able to take hold where the cost of the OS
> is significant.  For most big corporations, the cost of the OS is small in
> comparison to labor costs...

What's the labor cost of waiting for crashed machines to reboot?
What's the labor cost of trying to recreate all the data you lost
when the system crashed?

20 minutes/day = 100 minutes/week = 5000 minutes/year = 83 HOURS/year.

That's a whole TWO FUCKING WORK WEEKS of lost productivity
for EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE USING WINDOWS.

> -Todd
>
> > --
> > Bob
> > Being flamed?  Don't know why?  Take the Flame Questionnaire(TM)
> > today!
> > Why do you think you are being flamed?
> > [ ] You crossposted
> > [ ] You continued a long, stupid thread
> > [ ] You started an off-topic thread
> > [ ] You posted something totally uninteresting
> > [ ] People don't like your tone of voice
> > [ ] Your stupidity is astounding
> > [ ] You suck
> > [ ] Other (describe)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Fischer)
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 04:34:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:33:26 GMT, Pete Goodwin
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm using SuSE 7.1 Personal after all my struggles with Mandrake 7.2.
>
> That is not to say there aren't any problems. There are.
>
> In order to get my network working I'm currently starting up DHCP manually.
> I descovered that SuSE telephone support doesn't cover anything except
> basic installation. Apparently, getting your network up is not considered
> basic. Oh well.

Try their support database.

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/ashley_dhcp-2nics.html

Bugs happen. These companies build extra stuff into their distributions
trying to make them easy to install, and they are going to have
bugs. Hopefully they will get around to putting the fix in themselves;
I think this report is from SuSE 7.0.

> It gets just as bad with the personal firewall. It too starts up _before_
> the network modules are started. Same problem again. But it gets worse. The
> firewall can't cope with DHCP. It doesn't handle the fact that DHCP means
> you don't have a fixed IP address.

I believe the firewall scripts just uses the device name, not the IP
address; you can configure a fixed IP address, but it attempts to
autodetect if you don't. People use it for ppp devices, so once
the order is right hopefully it'll work with DHCP also.

> (Note: for the brain dead among you, I'm not posting this as a request for
> help. This is an advocacy group after all).

Note to Pete: this isn't really attempt to help you, but is for
the benefit of the audience. This "I've fallen and can't get up"
act is funny, so others might want to see the joke.

> What happens if I install Windows? I have to install device drivers for
> these network cards. Then I set up one as DHCP, one as a fixed address.
> Then it just works. Funny that, isn't it. If I want something that just
> works, use Windows. If I want something that almost works (but requires
> more investigation) then use Linux.

I have horror stories about networking under Windows that would make
you run screaming. I deal with them in a different manner.

--

Grant Fischer                       (gfischer at the domain hub.org)

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <todd<remove>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm so happy!
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:35:26 +0800

"Martigan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:Hzzy6.899$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>   You know why?  No not the hamster....no goats either.
>
>    I converted to Linux about three months ago and love it.  Hell I tried
> to copy some files from my ext2 to fat32 in a GUI and it didn't work at
> all.

So Linux failed you here...

>  So I just poped open the terminal and did a $cp /home/foo /mnt/win_e
> and it didn't work either.

and it failed here too...

>    What makes me happy is what I can do with linux, windoze dreams about!

Ummmm... OK.  :)

> You know what I did?  I typed $ info cp .  Thats it and got all the info
on
> options and envocations. ;-)

Did you try the /? on windows commands???

>  Any time I have a problem the 'info' or 'man'
> is there.  No over bloated indexed help menus that tell you what you
> already know,

If you already knew it, why did you need it???

> or tell you to contact M$ for more help.
>
>   Thank you for the time, and sorry if I bored ya.  I'm just happy!

Sounds like you are convinced !

-Todd