From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:42:38 -0400

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On 11 Apr 2001 21:53:02 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> including

> > >have

> with

> California.

> me
> > >off

> > >rest

> > >Finger? never use it.
> > >nslookup? I use a GUI 3rd party tool on the RARE occasion I need it
> > >rcp and rsh? never need it.
> > >FTP? command line? this is the 20th century, that shit was old in the
> 80s...
> > >
> > >I would never miss them, nor would my system. I think I can safely say
> I've
> > >never used any of those .EXEs on my W2K system.
> > >

> > Be brave.  Remove them then and let us know.
>
> OK, from a dare by kooklis I have. All those .EXEs are gone. Rebooted and
> still haven't noticed a thing.

That's because you're not the most observant kid on the short bus.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:43:19 -0400

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jan Johanson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> including

> > > have

> with

> California.
> California.
> California.
> California.
> California.

> me
> > > off

> the
> > > rest

> > > Finger? never use it.
> > > nslookup? I use a GUI 3rd party tool on the RARE occasion I need it
> >
> > Maybe YOU don't run it from the command line, but EVERY web browser
> > relies upon it.
> >
> > So does telnet, and anything else that uses alphabetic Internet addresses.
> >
> > Hope that helps, MORON
> >
> > > rcp and rsh? never need it.
> >
> > Try removing them from your system, and see how functional your networked
> > apps do.
> >

> I have no NSLOOKUP.EXE on my system and everything is working fine. No
> problems.
> You are truely ignorant.

Even the other kids on the short bus used to teach Jan for not noticing the obvious.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Things Linux can't do!
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:47:48 -0400

Donn Miller wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Donn Miller wrote:
>
> > > Of course X is capable of crashing a system, because it runs as root,
> > > and accesses ports as root.
> >
> > Only if you're stupid enough to login as root.
>
> Actually, X always runs as root, even if you don't start X as root.  If
> you use startx to start X, then either X is run as suid root (bad), or a
> wrapper (such as Xwrapper) executes the X server for you as root.  xdm
> also starts the X server as root.
>
> Do
>
> $ ps axcu | grep X
>
> on your system and see what I mean.

Hmm, you're right.

I stand corrected.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows in space......
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cray Drygu)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:56:33 GMT

remove>[EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Todd" <todd) wrote in
<9b36u2$2n9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> Most of the problems appear to be related to Microsoft's Windows NT,
>> while Russian-made software seems to be more reliable.

>Well, Chad, I guess all the designers of the space station are dumb and
>Linux users are the smart ones, heh?
>
>Right.
>
>-Todd

First, where were the designers mentioned?

Second, where was the relative intelligence of anyone mentioned (or
implied)?

Third, where was Linux mentioned?

Because you obviously can't read, I'll answer for you: nowhere, nowhere,
and nowhere.

--
cray [at]                   org
          silverlight [dot]

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:49:52 -0400

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Define 'everyone'. Many organizations have not upgraded beyond windows 95 or
> : 98.
>
> First, most organizations should never have been running consumer
> versions of Windows in the first place.  They were not intended for
> business use.  If a business user must run some version of Windows it
> should be NT or 2000.

Translation: The managers who got Windows installed on the desktops
in most businesses, are, by definition, incompetant.

> Second, I would generally view each successive release of Windows as a
> downgrade, not an upgrade, because each version is less compatible
> with legacy proprietary non-portable Windows-only software, which,
> given the abundance of alternatives today, is pretty much the only
> legitimate excuse for running Windows at all.
>
> Joe

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:52:17 -0400

Peter da Silva wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Ed Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The BASIC they did which we got ahold of the BASIC source code and
> > enhanced it quite a bit was great.
>
> That doesn't mean that the software they sold as Microsoft Basic was the
> same program that ran on TOPS. I think it would have been just a little
> hard to get DECSystem assembly code to run on a Z80 or 6502.
>
> The story *I* read was that the Basic they started with was a freeware
> implementation, and possibly incomplete, that already ran on micros.

No.  They bought some tapes from DEC.   They looked at the tapes,
and said, "HEY, look, a BASIC interpreter.  We could port this
code to CP/M"

Thus, the origins of Mafia$oft.

Their very first act was one of theft, copyright violation,
and license infringement.

Bill Gates is a pathological criminal, and should be rotting in jail.

> --
>  `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
>   'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."
>                                                        -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>          Disclaimer: WWFD?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: 12 Apr 2001 15:35:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Paul Repacholi  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wrong BASIC. The basic they refer to would have been Dartmouth BASIC.

Would it? They refer to it as being a DEC product. And the revision dates
and copyrights in the files I was looking at go back to 1969... if DEC
had BASIC on the DECsystem as a layered product that far back it seems
likely that's what they were using.

> I think it *may* be in Tim Shoppa's trailing-edge.com archive of 10
> DECUS stuff.

That's where I got those files in the first place.

From: Jerry Coffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:01:43 -0600

In article <I_8B6.2038$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, amolitor-at@visi-
dot-com.com says...

[ ... ]

>       However, I will re-iterate (and I think you agree) that it is
> silly to dismiss GC as a bad idea because it's slow.

Oh, absolutely.  The original statement made is sound like it was
essentially a given that at all times and under all circumstances
that a GC system could outperform manual memory management, and I
think that's overstating things considerably.

> Comparing the two
> is indeed extremely difficult. In many perfectly reasonable cases a
> well implemented GC system will perform as well or better than an
> explicitly allocated system.

Quite true.

>       There are excellent reasons why Java is, if I may be so vague,
> an "inherently more speed-capable" language.

Than what?  From what I can see, Java places a number of barriers in
the way of really fast implementations, especially on some hardware,
but I don't see GC as a particularly major one of those.

>       Finally, I will add the new claim that, in my experience, memory
> allocation is essentially never an issue in performance.

I'd have to disagree here.  I'd have to agree that performance is
only rarely an issue in itself, but if you do some benchmarking,
you'll quickly find that in many programs memory management accounts
for a substantial amount of time.  This _tends_ to be higher in many
OO systems than more conventional ones simply because there's a
tendency to allocate temporary objects more frequently, and because
many objects hide dynamic memory management, making it much easier to
use.

In any case though, I do have to agree that dismissing Java simply
because it uses GC borders on ridiculous.  If nothing else, MOST Java
seems to be UI oriented, and used in situations where performance
isn't really an issue to start with.  Even when performance becomes
an issue, we've all known for a LONG time that algorithms have more
to do with it than micro-optimization anyway.  On occasion, you'll
run into situations where you're using the best algorithm you know,
the fastest machines you can get, and you STILL have to worry about
performance.  In that case, Java may not be the best choice and the
better choices probably won't use GC, but I believe the latter is
typically going to be incidental at least as often as not.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:54:19 -0400

Peter da Silva wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Ed Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > He has told the dumpster diving and "we bought surplus tapes which had
> > the source to DEC basic" elsewhere.  I just cannot find the links right
> > now.
>
> You ought to have kept reading. He talks about how Paul Allen wrote a
> version of Basic that would fit into 4k further on down. It strains the
> bounds of credibility to claim he could have managed that starting with
> this (the BASIC.EXE file size is in data blocks, it comes to about 50kB

Depends on how many built-in functions (proprietary extensions of BASIC)
you slash.

> when extracted, it's a later version but it's unlikely the original was
> small enough to be usable):
>
> 10BACKUP v2.4
>
> Restore of files '*.*' from all save sets
>
> Start of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F DOCUMENTATION
> Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:25 using: 1600 BPI
>
> BASIC     .HLP           7 14-MAY-1981 13:41
> BAS17F    .DOC          22 15-OCT-1981 13:53
>
> End of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F DOCUMENTATION
> Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:25 using: 1600 BPI
>
> *** Tape Mark ***
>
> Start of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F EXECUTABLE
> Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:30 using: 1600 BPI
>
> BASIC     .EXE         120 14-OCT-1981 11:40
>
> End of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F EXECUTABLE
> Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:30 using: 1600 BPI
>
> *** Tape Mark ***
>
> Start of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F SOURCES
> Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:30 using: 1600 BPI
>
> BASICL    .MAC          20 31-AUG-1981 10:01
> BASICH    .MAC         498 12-OCT-1981 15:45
> BASIC     .CTL           2 14-OCT-1981 11:21
> QUEUER    .REL           3 11-OCT-1973 09:46
>
> End of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F SOURCES
> Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:30 using: 1600 BPI
>
> *** Tape Mark ***
>
> *** Tape Mark ***
>
> Total of 7 files in 3 save sets
> --
>  `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
>   'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."
>                                                        -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>          Disclaimer: WWFD?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.