  Re: t. max devlin: kook ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:12:04 -0400

Craig Kelley wrote:

> Jerry Coffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > says...
> >
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > > You needn't walk over all objects; only those that are candidates for
> > > losing scope; as soon as scope changes you only need to check those
> > > that are visible in the current scope;  the same applies with
> > > intentional reference death, you only need to check the current
> > > reference and it's children.  Yes, this does mean you could have to
> > > walk over all objects -- but more often it doesn't mean anything of
> > > the sort.
> >
> > True, but more or less irrelevant -- my point was that with (at least
> > most) GC systems, the time taken is related to the number living
> > objects, and generally a linear function.  Using X as the number of
> > living objects, looking through .1 percent of the living objects is
> > obviously a lot faster than looking through all of them, but O(.001X)
> > is still identical to O(X).  By contrast, with most manual systems,
> > we don't have any function of X at all -- we have a function of a
> > totally separate Y, which is the number of objects that have been
> > freed.  IOW, we're trying to compare O(X) to O(Y), which is clearly
> > impossible without knowing something (quite a bit usually) about the
> > relationship between X and Y.
>
> Yes, and you can construct bad trees that require exponential time to
> search -- in reality it rarely happens [/me sticks his neck out on
> that assertation].

No....the worst-case tree is one that's completely unbalanced

                       \
                        *
                       / \
                          *
                         / \
                            *
                           / \
                              *
                             / \
                                *
                               / \
                                  *
                                 / \
                                    *
                                   / \

where: the tree is constructed of

root            R

null pointers   / and \

and nodes       /   and \
               *         *

This worst-case tree has a LINEAR search time.

Best case tree has a logrithmic search time.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:20:37 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on Compaq...coming this Summer.
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles

t. max dumbass:
> Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:03:22
> >GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> No different than you WinTroll diehards.  When the great fanfare of the
> >> rollout of WindowsXp arrives into town like a cheap carnival will we
> >> know for sure if it really is all that it can be.
> >
> >i'm no more loyal to microsoft than i am to any other business. [...]
>
> Do you always defend a company's right to rip off their customers,

i defend a company's right to sell products on whatever terms they can
negotiate with vendors and consumers. if i as a consumer dislike those
terms i can take my business elsewhere.
however all things considered i consider windows to be a real bargain.

> then,
> and break the law?

the law, dear sir, is a beast.
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: Jerry Coffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:23:02 -0600

says...

[ ... ]

> Yes, and you can construct bad trees that require exponential time to
> search -- in reality it rarely happens [/me sticks his neck out on
> that assertation].

You're not really sticking it out very far -- testing with
generational scavengers seems to agree quite closely.

>  If you view a program as a tree of objects,
> stemming from the root object, you would end up with a tree and not a
> list, albeit with circular references.

Which is to say that it's a graph, not a tree.  A tree would be an
acyclic graph, where this is a more general graph that may contain
cycles.

> > Actually, no it's not, at least in my experience.  Both I, and quite
> > a few other denizens of comp.lang.asm.x86 routinely beat the best
> > compilers on the market with relative ease.  It's often hard to
> > justify bothering, but usually fairly easy to do when there's a
> > reason.
>
> You're not the average programmer that I know then.  :)

Well, probably not.  As it happens, my job leaves me with very little
choice but to work with assembly language on quite a regular basis,
and the optimizing part tends to be more an accidental by-product.

> I think very soon it will happen.  Microsoft is throwing their full
> weight behind Java^h^h^h^h C#, and they'll drag a bunch of developers
> kicking and screaming behind them.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.  I wouldn't go
so far as to predict that C# will be a complete flop (that would be
just wishful thinking) but I'm not at all sure it's going to take
over the world anytime soon either.  They're also pushing "managed
C++" (basically C++ with GC) but when you use this, you get only a
restricted subset of C++.  Ultimately, you could be right: MS has
been more successful with more second-rate technology than I'd like,
and this might really do incredibly well.  That certainly wouldn't be
all bad by any means, and my objections are NOT based to GC in either
case.  At the same time, every time MS comes up with one of their
half-baked schemes (and I really think this qualifies) I'm skeptical
of its success.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:17:00 -0400

Jonas wrote:

> > > You can tailor your own programs to work with MS Office and other MS
> Suites.
> >
> > It's obvious that you don't even understand the concept.
>
> Sure I do. It's something conceived in the mind. I noted that your a UNIX..
> whatever. Writing that as an end tail is noted. Windows has done a hell lot
> of more for computing through out the world then any highly priced UNIX
> system have done.

really.  Name one piece of microsoft code that didn't originate
on Unix or Macintosh.

Accuracy counts, so be precise.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:30:29 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles

t. max dumbass:
> Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:33:29
>    [...]
> >> So, what you're saying is that a large portion of the population is dumb as
> >> a post, if not dumber.
> >
> >no, i'm saying that hostility to consumer needs is a bug not a feature.
>
> No, 'hostility to consumer needs' is a smoke-screen for apologizing for
> the monopoly, not a supportable argument.

if microsoft were really a monopoly linux would not exist.
as to your hostility to consumer needs
you're soaking in it.

> >> You then go on to prove your own membership in this
> >> elite crew by listing some numbers and making the assumption that some of
> >> these numbers being higher than others determine which system is better, and
> >> that this entire post is somehow related to the ease of use.
> >
> >if the goal is to defeat microsoft and its emperor ease of use is job
> >one.
>
> Actually, preventing illegal activity is job one.  There is no job two.

translation: linux cannot win in the free market so i am hoping the
jackbooted thugs will destroy the winner making way for the losers ie
linux headcases

> >if, on the other hand, you prefer to bitch and moan about the
> >ignorant endluzers who don't appreciate your brilliance, well
> >please do go on.
>
> Like you were?  We don't do that.

are you claiming that linux users respect the majority of people who
prefer windows?
too funny!

> >just don't expect unix to get anywhere on the desktop anytime soon.
>
> I don't.  Unless the federal court's decision comes anytime soon.

what was that you were saying about freedom of choice?

From: "Felger Carbon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:11:51 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Eric Smith wrote:
> >
> > Chad Everett wrote:
> > > Bill Gates and Paul Allen did it all.
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > Considering that they're both a lying sacks of shit, caught red-handed
> > > committing perjury in Federal Court....let's just say that i don't
> > > trust a word they say.
> >
> > When do you claim that Paul Allen committed perjury?
>
> Every single Microsoft officer was cought in at least one lie.

Paul Allen has not been an officer of Microsoft for many, many years now.
Even granted that "every single officer", this does not include Paul Allen.
And you have not documented "every single officer".

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: t. max devlin: kook
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:26:01 -0400

Anonymous wrote:

> t. max dumbass:
> > Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:23:24

> > >thank you for proving my point
> >
> > You don't have a point.
>
> if you can't see it you aren't quite so clever as you think.

> > >and that makes the case for linux... how exactly?
> >
> > Free market competitive development beats "whatever way whoever built
> > the proprietary crapware thinks is the right way."
>
> why, if that is the case, haven't the linuxoids trumped microsoft by
> completely eradicating the command line trauma so vividly described
> above? *

First, jackie, the Linux GUIs run circles around the Windows GUI.

Second...commandline trauma ain't nothing compared to the the
GUI-trauma of doing something (such as batch processing 50 documents)
by hand through a newbies-ONLY-oriented GUI.

>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> * as you really aren't too bright i better spell this out:
>
> completely eradicating means that under no circumstance does the user
> ever face the command line, no matter what they want to accomplish
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:39:41 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:59:21 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>WesTralia wrote:
>>
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>> >

>> > One which has the full overhead of a function call, including
>> > the overhead of pushing the CPU state onto the stack, and
>> > recovering it at the end.
>> >

>> "pushing the CPU state onto the stack"
>>
>> OK genius, explain what you mean!
>

>Pushing all data registers, pointers, and the program counter
>onto the stack.
>
>What did YOU think it means?

Pointers?  What pointers?

That's tangential to storing the state of the micro during a context
switch or function call for later restore.  A pointer is merely a
novel method of interpreting a number within a general register or
memory location as a memory address.  (For that matter, a number is
merely a novel method of interpreting the bits within a general
register or memory address, and the bits within a general register
are a novel method of interpreting logic voltages, which are merely
novel methods of interpreting largish collections of electrons [*]:
1 pF = about 6,250,000 electrons per volt.)

Of course, one of the pieces of CPU state is the program counter.... :-)

OK, so I quibble.

Note also that a smart compiler won't push all registers onto the stack;
it would be kind of silly for a function such as:

foobar:
        MOV 4(SP),R0    ; argument 1
        ADD 8(SP),R0    ; argument 2
        RET

assuming the micro has registers R0 through Rn, where R0 is used
to return values, a fairly typical backwards stack frame (push
= decrement then shove), and a 4-byte PC.

An even smarter compiler, of course, could inline the
function and perform constant folding, translating

A = foobar(1+2)

MOV #3,R5

assuming A was being held in R5 in that section of code (another
optimization of course is that a value needn't be stored immediately
into memory; modern compilers don't really need 'register' anymore :-)).

>>                                          OUTED!  LOL!
>
>Yes...I admit that I have a first-rate university-level education in
>computer systems engineering.

[.sigsnip]

[*] very old memories used small ferrule cores (hence the
    term "core dump").  However, most modern computers, and
    all consumer-grade PCs, use dynamically-refreshed memory
    for the bulk of their RAM storage needs (there is some cache
    which is most likely SRAM in various spots).  I don't know
    how many pF each transistor has sitting on its gate, though.
    I do remember that the leakage is such that they have to be
    refreshed every 2 ms or so...at least, as of 10 years ago.
    (Not as painful as it sounds, as DRAM is actually a two-
    dimensional array, with RAS and CAS strobes; to refresh,
    one throws an address onto CAS -- or was it RAS? -- and pulls it
    down for a short interval.  A 64Mb would be, internally, 8192 x 8192,
    and a refresh cycle (one row) would have to be done about
    every 250 ns -- assuming the leakage hasn't changed; for all I
    know the transistors might be able to hold their charge for 20ms now.)

    There are also several formats for a "number"; the two most obvious
    ones are the typical two's-complement specified integer and
    the IEEE-compliant float or double, and the infamous
    big vs. little-endian debate.

                    Are you still here?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:31:24 -0400

Brock Hannibal wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Anonymous wrote:
>
> > t. max dumbass:
> > > Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 8 Apr 2001 06:30:34
> > > -0600;

> > > And I bet the last thing in the world you wanted was for me to explain
> > > it.  You're such a putz, pretending like typing is somehow impossible.
> >
> > now that you mention it i wonder how many people can type with sufficient
> > accuracy to effectively make use of the command line...
>
> All but the most uncoordinated. I only really use a few commands from
> the command line. And those few are also available from pull down menus.
>
> > but what i originally had in mind was the difference between memorizing
> > a whole series of cryptic commands and just pulling down the menus and
> > seeing what they say.
> >                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> Some people do better with hieroglyphics others do better with
> alphabetical languages.  There is nothing that prevents a Unix user or
> the provider of the  Unix-based tools from creating a set of pull down
> menus, which then bring up GUI's just like Windows does.

In fact, the standard Linux GUIS have that stuff already.

Jackie needs to get out of the late 1980's.

> --
> Brock
>
> "One thing counts in this life: Get them to sign
>  on the line which is dotted...A. Always. B. Be.
>  C. Closing. Always Be Closing."
>
> http://www.swingout.net/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.