From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Article:  Windows XP won't support USB 2.0
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:40:05 GMT

Dave Martel wrote:

> <http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5558916.html>
>
> "The Redmond, Wash.-based software maker said it will not include
> support for USB 2.0, the latest iteration of the universal serial bus
> connection technology, in Windows XP, its next-generation operating
> system expected later this year. Microsoft will instead throw its
> support behind IEEE 1394, also known as FireWire, which was developed
> by Apple. "
>
> Microsoft says it's a quality issue, which is nonsense (what -
> Microsoft, concerned with quality? <g>). A Register article a few
> weeks ago asserted that MS's real reason is that USB doesn't offer a
> content-control mechanism, and 1394 does.
It won't support MP3 either <http://www.canoe.ca/MoneyWSJ/wsj2-dow.html>
 "The industry doesn't want [MP3] pushed, and Microsoft and RealNetworks
don't want it
pushed. The consumer is going to eat what he's given," says David
Farber, the former chief technologist at the Federal Communications
Commission.
Unquote.
--
Russ Lyttle
"World Domination through Penguin Power"

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:39:37 -0700

Felger Carbon wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Eric Smith wrote:

> > > When do you claim that Paul Allen committed perjury?
> >
> > Every single Microsoft officer was cought in at least one lie.
>
> Paul Allen has not been an officer of Microsoft for many, many years now.
> Even granted that "every single officer", this does not include Paul Allen.
> And you have not documented "every single officer".

I know... Paul is running Charter Communications, our cable TV provider
and Cable Modem provider.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:41:21 -0700

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:07:09 -0600, Jerry Coffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >
> >[ ... ]
> >
> >> JUDGE JACKSON HIMSELF said that they were lying, you ignorant sack of shit.
> >
> >Yes, and the appeals court has made it clear that if it was in their
> >power, they'd get Judge Jackson removed immediately.  They openly
> >stated that his comments were grossly inappropriate at best; they
> >made it clear that his judgement was poor (a serious accusation when
> >his entire job of a judge is to show, well, good judgement) and
> >probably bordered on being a crime in and of itself.
> >
> >In short, Judge Jackson's comments prove a lot more about Judge
> >Jackson himself than they ever have or will about Microsoft.
> >

> They weren't critical of Jackson for being wrong, they were just
> critical of him for saying too much in public.  Judge Jackson
> was correct in his statements, he was wrong for speaking in
> the media the way he did.

I think Jackson just wanted out of this mess.  Sometimes people crap in
their nest just to get out of it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: NT kiddies, don't try this at home
Date: 13 Apr 2001 00:41:25 GMT

Dave Martel ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/18265.html>
: Missing Novell server discovered after four years

: "...the University of North Carolina has finally located one of its
: most reliable servers - which nobody had seen for FOUR years...One of
: the University's Novell servers had been doing the business for years
: and nobody stopped to wonder where it was until some bright spark
: realised an audit of the Campus network was well overdue...Attempts to
: follow network cabling to find the missing box led to the discovery
: that maintenance workers had sealed the server behind a wall."

: Can you imagine an NT server running totally unattended for four
: years?

In the computer world, that's tantamount to discovering the remains of
Pompeii. Except that it was still working! Now, the motive of discovery was
Microshit and software audits. Were it not for the BSA, that lone server would
have continued until the hardware died, humming away the years like the
Energiser Rabbit. That is some good uptime, 4 years entombed in a room that
was sealed off like the dead Pharohs of Old Egypt.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:43:34 GMT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:39:29 GMT, Chad Myers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> SP4 was pretty good actually.

Unless you happened to want to run Lotus Notes or one of the other apps
that stopped working after it was applied.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:44:27 GMT

> Said Quantum Leaper in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 12 Apr 2001
> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >help
> >>

> >> I just made it up a typical statement that illustrates the utter
> >> uselessness of Mafia$oft's Windows help.
> >>

> >> The fact that you thought it was genuine proves my point about
> >> the utter lack of information in Windows Help.
> >>
> >Unless someone checks,   alot of people will believe it true.
>
> Unless you are pedantic and clueless, it is true.  There's stuff like
> this ALL OVER Windows.

I guess enlighting people to Linux advocates lack of up to date information
is clueless.

> >Win98 and
> >Win2K both had information in the help files on defrag,  true is was very
> >short but it does describe what the program function,  it didn't go into
how
> >it does it.
>
> Gee, and here we've been told that W2K doesn't need defragging.  Or so I
> thought.  Maybe I just believe it is true, because I didn't check.

Very little performance is gained because of defraging the HD in Win2K on a
NTFS partition, unlike FAT32.

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Big Brother Billy does it again!
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:46:00 GMT

Mig wrote:

> Dave Martel wrote:
>
> > Here we go again, folks! From the Wall Street Journal:
> >
> > <http://www.canoe.ca/MoneyWSJ/wsj2-dow.html>
>
> [cut]
>
> > There's much more of interest in the article, including MS's claim
> > that the reason they're doing this is to avoid paying a license fee
> > for a higher-quality MP3 encoder. Yeah, sure.
>
> Dont get histeric - its just their software that wont recortd MP3's. Guess
> what - it does not do it today and people still use MP3

Read the article. It won't play MP3 properly either. Deliberately
degrades the quality so MS stuff sounds better.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:38:49 -0400

Jerry Coffin wrote:

> In article <9b5cbi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > If it was anyone but Microsoft, they'd have been tried for perjury.
> >
> > Better?
>
> Better, but still utterly wrong.  One of the reasons companies
> incorporate is that when they do, the corporation is then considered
> an entity in and of itself.  Employees and officers of the
> corporation acting on its behalf are, to at least some extent,
> protected from being personally prosecuted for what are considered
> the actions of this separate entity, the corporation.

"The corporate veil" does not protect against PERSONAL criminal
behavior, such as perjury.

> In the end, you've really got things entirely backwards: the only
> reason they were on the stand in the first place was quite clearly
> that they were involved with a huge corporation, of which the DoJ had
> decided to make an example.  If a mom 'n pop company had done all of
> exactly the same things, nobody would even have blinked, not to
> thought of taking them to court.
>
> My personal belief is that the entire thing was done for a fairly
> simple reason: until this came along, computer companies, software
> companies in particular, were quite well known for remaining totally
> Apolitical, and not contributing to lobbying efforts and such.  Even
> though our "representatives" in Washington can officially only
> receive gifts of "nominal value" from lobbyists and such, the reality
> is that they really receive a LOT of those gifts, and they bloody
> well expect to receive their tribute from everybody who has enough
> money to notice.  Clinton and his henchmen decided they weren't
> getting their unfair share, so they did any good protection racket,
> and sicked their strongarm boys onto them to squeeze them for more
> money.
>
> Of course, the DoJ picks its targets carefully -- they go after
> companies that not only have money, but that are perceived by their
> peers as leaders.  They want to make it clear that the WHOLE industry
> had better pay up, or else they'll be next.
>
> It's been highly successful: when they went after IBM, campaign and
> lobbying contributions not only directly from IBM, but from the
> entire rest of the industry at the time went up _substantially_.
>
> This time around, the effect has been the same -- MS is now
> contributing millions of dollars a year, and most of their larger
> competitors like Sun are doing the same.  This isn't because Sun is
> doing anything terrible.  It's a simple situation that it's been made
> clear to them that their only choices are to pay up or get beat up
> and then pay up anyway.
>
> --
>     Later,
>     Jerry.
>
> The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:51:31 GMT

> Quantum Leaper wrote:
> >
> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:JA5B6.3082$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > help

> > > Unfortunately, it just shows that I'm willing to believe it's
possible.
> > The
> > > fact that I couldn't find it prompted me to ask...  shit like this
gets
> > > mentioned a lot, but I don't believe it until I've verified it myself.
> > >
> > I think it really show the lack of knowledge on Aaron's part more that
> > anything.
> > BTW Win98 does have help on Defrag but only in the help file for Windows
in
> > general (Start button/Help)  and Win2K has a help file for defrag.
>
> Here's the actual text....it's just as pathetic as I alluded...
>
> Click to start Disk Defragmenter.
> Click the drive you want to defragment
> Click OK.
>
> * To change the Disk Defragmenter settings, click Settings
>
> Well, DUH!

Here's the rest of the help text for the defragmenter....

  Using Disk Defragmenter to speed up access to your hard disk
  You can use Disk Defragmenter to rearrange files and unused space on your
hard disk so that programs run faster.
 to start Disk Defragmenter.

  Note
  You can also start Disk Defragmenter by clicking Start, pointing to
Programs, pointing to Accessories, pointing to System Tools, and then
clicking Disk Defragmenter.

*
What the do you want it say?   It tells the user WHAT the defragmenter does,
and were to find it.   It doesn't need 20 pages of useless crap going into
HOW it does it,  I guess it could have a statement about WHY its needed.

------------------------------

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:49:33 +0000

In article <uLqB6.13531$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete Goodwin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Oh boy. I have two cards. One is DHCP. One is a static address. This
> works  FLAWLESSLY on Windows. It's barf time with BOTH Mandrake 7.2 and
> SuSE 7.1.

I've got two cards - one DHCP token ring and one static ethernet.   Works
flawlessly on Linux.  It took many hours and multiple reboots to get it
to work on W2K.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:55:54 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "The Ghost
In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
> Sure, if nobody connects to it and all services are disabled... :-)
>
> Of course, one might then start quibbling as to whether it's really a
> server or not; kind of like asking whether a restaurant with no food is
> deserving of the term "restaurant", or a car wash that doesn't wash, or
> a phone unit that doesn't have a dial tone, or ... well, you get the
> idea ... :-)
>

>From the original article on TechWeb -

"[...] although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that
time."

Sounds like it was working to me.

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:55:52 GMT

"The Danimal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Anonymous wrote:
> > what is the per capita income in china?
> >                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> Your tax dollars at work:
>
> China:
>   http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ch.html#Econ
>   GDP: purchasing power parity - $4.8 trillion (1999 est.)
>   GDP - real growth rate: 7% (1999 est.)
>   GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $3,800 (1999 est.)
>   Population: 1,261,832,482 (July 2000 est.)
>
> U.S.A.:
>   http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html#Econ
>   GDP: purchasing power parity - $9.255 trillion (1999 est.)
>   GDP - real growth rate: 4.1% (1999 est.)
>   GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $33,900 (1999 est.)
>   Population: 275,562,673 (July 2000 est.)
>
> Linux has a possible future in China. The lower Chinese per capita
> income makes a free operating system much more attractive, even
> if it takes longer to learn. I.e., the time of the average Chinese
> person is ten times cheaper. Besides, they have to learn to read
> Chinese, so it's not like they can have the same cultural fixation
> with ease of use.

One problem,  do you really want to spend 1/4 to 1/8 of your annual income
to buy a computer?

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:00:58 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > *** Tape Mark ***
> >
> > Start of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F EXECUTABLE
> > Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> > Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:30 using: 1600 BPI
> >
> > BASIC     .EXE         120 14-OCT-1981 11:40
> >
> > End of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F EXECUTABLE
> > Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> > Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:30 using: 1600 BPI
> >
> > *** Tape Mark ***
> >
> > Start of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F SOURCES
> > Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> > Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:30 using: 1600 BPI
> >
> > BASICL    .MAC          20 31-AUG-1981 10:01
> > BASICH    .MAC         498 12-OCT-1981 15:45
> > BASIC     .CTL           2 14-OCT-1981 11:21
> > QUEUER    .REL           3 11-OCT-1973 09:46
> >
> > End of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F SOURCES
> > Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> > Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:30 using: 1600 BPI
> >
> > *** Tape Mark ***
> >
> > *** Tape Mark ***
> >
> > Total of 7 files in 3 save sets
> > --
> >  `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
> >   'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."
> >                                                        -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >          Disclaimer: WWFD?
>
> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642
>
> K: Truth in advertising:
>         Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shalala,
>         Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan,
>         Special Interest Sierra Club,
>         Anarchist Members of the ACLU
>         Left Wing Corporate Extremist Ted Turner
>         The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
>         Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,
>
> J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
>    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
>    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
>    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
>    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>    her behavior improves.
>
> D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>    ...despite (C) above.
>
> C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
>    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a

"Two professors at Dartmouth College, seeking a better way of
introducing their students to computers, had used a grant from the
National Science Foundation to give birth to BASIC in 1964."
"Then the Popular Electronics article came out. Gates's friend Paul
Allen ran through Harvard Square with the article to wave it in front of
Gates's face and say, "Look, it's going to happen! I told you this was
going to happen! And we're going to miss it!" Gates had to admit that
his friend was right; it sure looked as though the "something" they had
been looking for had found them. He immediately phoned MITS, claiming
that he and his partner had a BASIC language usable on the Altair. When
Ed Roberts, who had heard a lot of such promises, asked Gates when he
could come to Albuquerque to demonstrate it, Gates looked at his
childhood friend, took a deep breath, and said, "Oh, in two or three
weeks." Gates put down the receiver, turned to Allen and said: "I guess
we should go buy a manual." They went straight to an electronics shop
and purchased Adam Osborne's manual on the 8080.
     For the next few weeks, Gates and Allen worked day and night on the
BASIC. As they wrote the program, they tried to determine the minimal
features of an acceptable BASIC - the same challenge Albrecht and
Allison faced except that Tiny BASIC was to be a minimal language,
usable on a variety of machines." At no time did they ever see an
Altair. Excerpt from "Fire in the Valley" p142.  The tape that they
delivered to Ed worked the first time.  The missing part in the book for
this to happen was the fact that Bill had access to DECs' BASIC in
Bellevue,WA in his earlier days. Then there were no standards for BASIC.

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:05:01 -0700

Dave Martel wrote:

> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/18265.html>
> Missing Novell server discovered after four years
>
> "...the University of North Carolina has finally located one of its
> most reliable servers - which nobody had seen for FOUR years...One of
> the University's Novell servers had been doing the business for years
> and nobody stopped to wonder where it was until some bright spark
> realised an audit of the Campus network was well overdue...Attempts to
> follow network cabling to find the missing box led to the discovery
> that maintenance workers had sealed the server behind a wall."
>
> Can you imagine an NT server running totally unattended for four
> years?
Unimaginable! The floor tiles are worn out in front of our NT servers. The
reset switches are showing signs of wear. Every few days there always
seems to be some sort of problem requiring physical intervention.

I once run a mighty 50 MHz, 486 with a whopping 32 megabytes of memory
servicing 165 users, 16 printers, email and a database with 40 concurrent
users.  It ran Netware 3.11 and in 4 years it crashed only twice, on the
same day. Faulty motherboard which was replaced shortly after the second
crash. The CPU Monitor would report 90-100% utilization for the first hour
in the morning. Then it would throttle down to a healthy 50% or so for the
rest of the day. A very heavily used server.

NT can barely work as a very slow, crash prone, single user workstation
with the same hardware.
--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:02:15 GMT

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:25:51 GMT,
Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Did you notice that the reason given for dropping Clippie was that
>Officd XP is for "eXPerts who don't need help". Not only, it would seem,
>are they dropping the stupid animation, but the help feature as well.

They aren't dropping clippy from Office XP. Clippy is
still there, but isn't activated by default. The News.cnet
report about this describes a vacuous non-news event:

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5575112.html?tag=st.cn.1.lthd

"Gurry said if people miss Clippy, they can turn him
back on by clicking the "help" tag on the Office XP
task bar."

This whole "news" item is a report on the glorious
and, no doubt, important change in a default from "on"
to "off". Big deal.

--
Don't think you are. Know you are.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Fischer)
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:02:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:23:37 GMT, Pete Goodwin
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Grant Fischer wrote:
>
>> Networking isn't started until run level 2 or 3. Try doing what
>> the article suggests; move the S02dhclient to say S06dhclient
>> (putting it after S05network in the startup.) You'll need to
>> do it in both the rc2.d and rc3.d directories to cover your
>> contingencies.
>
> I did what the article suggested, it made no difference.

What exactly did you do? Your initial messages don't mention this
article at all, and your latest message confuses it with boot.local.
I don't have a lot of confidence that you "did what the article
suggested." I have less confidence that you bothered to figure
out how to make the tip work for 7.1.

List out your current /etc/init.d/rc5.d directory, for example.
My SuSE 7.1 has that as the default run-level. Also, have you
removed dhclient again from boot.local?

--

Grant Fischer                       (gfischer at the domain hub.org)