From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:46:05 +1200

<snype>

True, however, the NZ economy has been growing at around 3.5% fueled by
the primary sector, and the darth of quality meat and other agricultural
goods in Europe and the US.  Our dollar, $NZ1 can buy 39 US cents, the
official cash rate is around 5.5% (Home loans are normally set 2 above
the official cash rate) and there has been a budget surplus of around
2.2 Billion, so, things down here, even with fuel at $NZ1.10 a litre,
the economy is growing quite nicely.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operater from Hell)

If you donot like it go [#rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1 Pro w/ Kernel 2.4.2

SuSE, the best of German engineering, now in software form :)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 21:50:25 -0400

Brent R wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Brent R wrote:

> > > Because he has never posted with anything other than a Win 98 header,
> > > NOT EVEN ONCE! He could make one post on a non-modified *nix newsreader,
> > > just one, and this whole thing would stop... now.
> > >
> > > But that's not going to happen.
> >
> > I described in enough detail how to modify the headers so that THREE
> > seperate people could replicate my results.
> >
> > That is sufficient.
>
> It's obviously not sufficient if so many people here don't believe it.
>
> There must be some newsreader on your box that has an un-modified header

False assumption.
Hope that helps.

> and all you'd have to do is post with it just once and this whole thing
> would be over.
>
> That doesn't seem too hard now does it?
>
> --
> - Brent
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 21:53:46 -0400

Brent R wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> > > Well, Aaron, I can still see your rantings because they are posted by
> > > others.
> > >
> > > I will type now very slowly, so that even you can understand:
> >
> > No need.  I read at over 500 words/minute.
>
> Poorly I might add. You will generally respond to a lengthy post with a
> short sentence that totally fails to grasp the subject.
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You misspelled "goes straight to the heart of"

> --
> - Brent
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Linux on Compaq...coming this Summer.
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 21:58:43 -0400

WGAF wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > WGAF wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> they
> > > can

> CPU
> > > sold.

> of
> > > illegal.
> > >
> > > And when company B makes a long term contract with company A based upon
> the
> > > hardware sold to get a lucrative deal on company A's product and then
> starts
> > > to sell company C's product, then company B is still under a contract
> with
> > > company A. And as such company B needs to fulfill their contractual
> > > agreement with company A. You incorrectly call it "illegal", which is
> not if
> > > the actual contract was made prior to company B selling company C's
> product.
> > > You might call it bad decision on company B's part but that's about it.
> > > fail to see the illegal part.....
> >
> > Per Processor licensing is ILLEGAL.
> >
> > If it wasn't, then there wouldn't have been a FELONY CONVICTION for it.
> >
> > That's the FUCKING LAW, you twit.
>
> That's one law what I have not seen in the lawbooks, is that a Unix book
> where you've seen it you moron?

Sherman anti-trust act.

By the way, if it isn't on the law books, then why did Mafia$oft sign
a consent decree promising to never do it again???????

Hmmmmmm

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles
Subject: Re: Microsoft: Closed source is more secure
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 22:00:45 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 20:38:42 +1200, Adam Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Security Focus is running this story of comments by the Head of
> >Microsoft's security response team at the RSA Conference:
> >
> >http://www.securityfocus.com/frames/?content=/templates/article.html%3Fid%3D191
> >
> >I think some of the arguments are self-serving and utterly disingenuous.
> >For example:
> >
> >`By contrast, Microsoft does extensive testing on every product, and on
> >every patch, said Lipner. "People ask us why our security patches take so
> >long. One of the reasons they take so long is because we test them."'
> >

> TCP/IP sequence number guessing was laughably easy on NT for YEARS.
> Microsoft knew it because it was reported to them very early on.
> They NEVER fixed it until W2K came out.

That's because they had to "test" the patch in Redmond for 5 years
        (or something).

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 22:07:40 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 14 Apr 2001 00:42:28 -0400
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> >>
> >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>  wrote
> >> on Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:25:08 -0400

> >> Pushing the stack pointer on the stack seems to me rather pointless... :-)

> >> Yes, that's a valid one.  Of course, that's usually in a register.
> >> (Side point: Oh gosh the VAX was elegant, from a machine language
> >> point of view.  Am I spoiled rotten? :-) )
> >
> >Yes, all of us who programmed VAXes were spoiled.
> >
> >I'm thinking of writing a VAX emulator.
>
> Would be nice; I suspect someone's done it, but would be nice... :-)

> >> A heap pointer needn't be saved; it's part of process address space.
> >> Even if it is, it's just another register.

> >> Ditto.  (Maybe on a pre-VMpage system, though, like System7 on a
> >> PDP 11/70.  But that's positively *ancient*. :-) )
> >
> >If it's Intel, it's part of the CPU state.
>
> Hm...you might be referring to CS, SS, DS, and ES, then (GS was introduced
> later).  I'd forgotten about those; AFAIAC they're more registers.
>
> (Yuck, what an ugly memory model.)

That's why I've never programmed for the 80x86 line.

I took one look at the addressing modes, etc., and said "what a
crock of shit"

I had my share of that shit earlier writing for IBM-370, and had
zero interest in repeating it.

> >> Ditto.
> >>
> >> Oh, and you forgot block segment start.... :-)

> >> Well, excuse me for pedantifying. :-P
> >
> >Sorry, Ghost...I got you confused with someone else.
>
> Ah, well, that's OK.  :-)

> >> Oh really? :-P
> >>
> >> I at least know that pointers are merely a human way of relating
> >> to bags o' bits.  That was my point; as far as the micro is concerned,
> >> it's pushing bits from a data register to the address buss.
> >> A bit's a bit.
> >>
> >> Many CPUs for example don't care what's stored in their registers,
> >> which means that one can do stupid things like
> >>
> >> MOV #1,R1
> >> MOV 4(R1),R1
> >>
> >> and of course cause an access violation, but why should the
> >> first instruction really care?
> >>
> >> I will note that the 68000, however, went the split-register route
> >> (8 D registers, 8 A registers, two of which are dedicated to
> >> SP (A6) and PC (A7), respectively.)  In cases such as that, one
> >> might be able to cause an exception (although why even bother?)
> >> on an immediate load to an A register.  However, HP PA uses
> >> 32 general-purpose registers which can be used for pretty much
> >> anything (although HP does have a calling convention, dedicating 5 registers
> >> thereto (4 parameters, 1 return; extra parameters are pushed on the
> >> stack as always), and register 0 is *always* zero).  I don't know
> >> what SPARC uses, but I suspect it's similar.  Makes compiler writing
> >> very simple; one doesn't have to worry about whether LEA 10(%ax)
> >> makes sense when allocating %ax.
> >>
> >> And then there's ... errrm .... the x86 ... .  I don't know whether
> >> the 386 fixed all of the weidies regarding register usage or not.
> >> (It probably did, but I do wonder.)
> >
> >x86 has the Data Segment, Text Segment, etc. registers.
> >
> >So also the IBM-370 programmer's model (who knows what the
> >ACTUAL hardware looked lik...probably even changed over time,
> >..but that was the model presented to the programmer by the
> >microcode.
>
> Can't say I know; never worked on that machine.

80x86 is like "son of IBM 370"

> >> I've yet to run into one at this point which doesn't
> >> allow specification of which registers to push and pop.
> >> To be fair, though, I really haven't coded in that many:
> >>
> >> 68000 (Motorola)
> >> 8086 (Intel et al)
> >> 1802 (Harris)
> >> VAX 11/7xx (DEC)
> >> 6502 (?)
> >> HP PA RISC (HP)
> >

> >If you ever get a chance to look at IBM 370, you'll see the
> >80x86 is derived from it.
>
> I thought the 80x86 was derived from the 8080; it's source code
> compatible and all.  (It's been awhile.)

Yes, that too.

But all the CS,DS,ES,SS shit was derived from the IBM 370,
as well as the weird

   [ 8 bits ]  [ 8 bits ]  [ 8 bits ]
    |<- segment number ->|   0  0
+    0  0      |<- "address"      ->|
   -----------------------------------
=     Effective Address

Scheme for EVERYTHING

> Maybe both participated; obviously, someone thought it a good idea
> at the time, and it did give them an advantage over their competitors
> (68000 came later, with a much better architecture IMO).

FORCING the use of segmented addressing was stupid.

> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       8d:12h:54m actually running Linux.
>                     Use the source, Luke.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 22:08:51 -0400

Paul Repacholi wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
> > And on top of that, I don't know of any DEC operating system that
> > uses a ^Z as an end-of-file marker. The ones I'm familiar with all
> > use fairly complex record-oriented files.
>
> Ah, let see. TOPS-20, Tops-10, RSX, RT, RSTS, FOCAL-8, VMS, and

translation: DEC products.

> another 8 system I can't remember ALL used ^Z as EOF. It was not done
> in the on disk file system though, that brain damage came later.
>
> --
> Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
> +61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.
>                                              West Australia 6076
> Raw, Cooked or Well-done, it's all half baked.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 22:09:29 -0400

Russell Easterly wrote:

> > You said "Judge Jackson ruled the market to be Intel-Compatible PC
> operating
> > systems."
> >

> I have always wondered how Microsoft can have a monopoly
> on the Intel-Compatible market but Intel doesn't have a monopoly.
> I guess monopoly is in the eye of the Justice Dept.

They don't.

AMD
Cyrix.

Hope that helps.

> Russell
> - the only form of government is bureaucracy

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.