From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:18:44 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JS PL
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 15 Apr 2001 05:23:33 -0400
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Prove that I am.
> >
> >I just did. And did it by your own standards.
> >
> ><Kulkis quote>
> >Microsoft itself has not challenged Judge Jackson's "Findings of FACT"
> >Therefore it is a LEGAL FACT that Microsoft is a monopoly.
> ></Kulkis quote>
> >
> >You haven't challenged this group's finding , therefore you are a Windows 98
> >luser.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what would be the requirements for a successful
> challenge?  Aaron has already commented on his "camouflage" defense;
> one issue with it is that camouflage, when ripped, is not as useful.
> Presumably, what you're asking is for him to rip his disguise off,
> thereby proving to the world that:
>
> (a) he's able to change headers, and
> (b) that no one should pay attention to his headers.
>
> As opposed to the current "don't do anything" tactic, which allows
> us to endlessly speculate, but prove nothing.
>
> That's fine by me (this is a silly topic anyway; can't we debate something
> like Linux CLI versus NT GUI?  Or maybe Emacs versus Word?  Or even the
> benefits of Windows 2000's 99999 campaign versus current reliability
> numbers for multi-CPU high-powered Unix servers such as Sparc/Solaris?).
> I suspect he doesn't mind either, although I can't say I know his mind. :-)
>
> There is another issue.  Note "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".  I can't say I know
> the ins and outs of Yahoo's posting methods, but it is barely possible
> that Yahoo is camouflaging things -- I've already noticed that their
> web server is a little weird, not identifying itself at all, for example,
> by the simple experiment:

I post through alt.net.  I use yahoo.com as my publicly-acknowled SMTP services.

> $ telnet www.yahoo.com www
> Trying 204.71.200.68...
> Connected to www.yahoo.akadns.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> HEAD / HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.yahoo.com
> Connection-type: close
>
> HTTP/1.0 200 OK

> (This is in violation of RFC1945/2068, BTW, but Yahoo's been doing
> this sort of thing for a while.  Note the total lack of anything
> resembling a server string in the response.  I don't know if this
> is Yahoo's fault, or "akadns.net"'s, which is probably related to
> Akamai.)
>
> Compare this to Microsoft:
>
> $ telnet www.microsoft.com www
> Trying 207.46.131.199...
> Connected to www.microsoft.akadns.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> HEAD / HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.microsoft.com
> Connection-type: close
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
> Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:44:40 GMT
>
> which is more or less proper; note the optional Server: header.
>
> Presumably, again, this is to protect itself; an unknown target
> is harder to hit.  (Once known, of course, one can try to hit it;
> ideally, all characteristics except the private key of the target would
> be known, and the target would be unhittable except by the typical
> "DoS" attack, which is akin to flooding the entire area with water to
> stop a kid with a fire hose.)
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random clairvoyance here
> EAC code #191       1d:18h:26m actually running Linux.
>                     Microsoft.  When it absolutely, positively has to act weird.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Subject: Re: Linux is for the lazy
Date: 18 Apr 2001 00:24:39 GMT

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:44:32 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Brian Langenberger wrote:
>>
>> Paul Hughett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> <snip!>
>>
>> : You forget to consider all the effort that went into developing those
>> : tools.  The better formulation--which is already well known--is that
>> : Unix was built by people who would rather spend 8 hours building a
>> : interesting tool than 2 hours doing a boring task without the tool.
>>
>> Or, perhaps more precisely, 8 hours building an interesting tool to
>> do a task in 10 seconds rather than actually performing the 1 hour
>> task by hand.  After said task is performed enough times, the
>> benefits for laziness are immense :)
>
>Which is why the best administrators are thoroughly lazy people like me.

Coming from the guy that believes ping calls nslookup.

Good admins are often lazy. Not all lazy people are good admins.
Kinda like the "wise men are mocked by fools" thing in your sig.

--
Roberto Alsina (fairly good admin)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan.  (was Re: Communism,
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:25:27 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Bloody Viking
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 17 Apr 2001 01:54:54 GMT
<9bg7pe$8f3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Aaron R. Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>: Great money
>: Low cost of living.
>
>Don't know about the cost of living in Detroit (pronounced as "daytwah" in
>French). But the cost of living around Chicago is high.
>
>What I discovered is that housing prices are about a constant
>but square footage will vary. That is, you can move to Norman
>Oklahoma but you still pasy $150L for a home though it's a
>bigger one. In my case, PRICE is the make-or-break item, not
>square footage. $150K is simply too much. When the price is
>too high, the square footage becomes a moot point.

$150?

Try $650!  Around here, that's a 3B2Ba.  And that's not the most
expensive either; one could easily get a modest home to be over
a million.

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- at this rate, it'll be cheaper to live in a
                    Space Shuttle :-)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:22:25 -0400

Roy Culley wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) writes:
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Brian Langenberger
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >  wrote
> > on Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:08:24 +0000 (UTC)
> > <9bhioo$ms8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >>After some deliberation, I've come to the conclusion that Linux
> >>(and Unices in general) are built by the lazy, for the lazy.
> >
> > Lazy -- and ingenious.
> >
> >>As proof of this, let's look through the whole gamut of
> >>UI tools.
> >>
> >>First of all, notice that the most commonly-used shell commands
> >>are two letters long (cd, ls, mv, cp, and so forth).  Why not
> >>"list", or "move", or "copy"?  Because that's too many letters
> >>to type, and so laziness prevails.
> >
> > A number of issues arise here; one of them is in fact laziness.
> > Two letters "mv" as opposed to four("move")or six("rename").
> > Ditto for "cp".  Great for touch typists.
> >
> > However, there's also the issue of "word memory".  To put it
> > simply, the "word" "mv" is far less likely to be confusing
> > because it has precisely one meaning -- namely, "move an object
> > on a Unix system".  If one is presented with a "MOVE" or "COPY",
> > one has to now think a little more.  Quick, what options does
> > "MOVE" have?  Does it move files or directories?  Or is it referring
> > to an obscure terrorist group, an action done once every 5 (3?) years
> > or so by most Americans, or a simple generic translation from one point
> > to another in an abstract coordinate space?
>
> Well and there I was believing that it was because they used ASR33's or
> some other slow paper teletype kind of thing. Now why they dropped the
> trailing 'e' from the creat() system call is going to extremes. :-)

Actually, that was done by a paper pusher.

They originally wrote create(), but there was some sort of conflict
with other AT&T software (create was already the name of some other
heavily used function in some other packate.

When it came back, they were told to rename create() to creat().

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:23:30 -0400

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Said Scott R. Godin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 9 Apr 2001 13:36:29
> : GMT;
> :>In article <9aqr1b$r6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> :>wrote:
> :>
> :> | BTW: many conservatives openly call for class warfare as well.  I'm
> :> | not defending them.  To a libertarian, both ideologies have some
> :> | serious issues.
> :>
> :>heh :j noticed that, have you?
>
> : Now if only this didn't sound like simple naive arrogance; to either,
> : libertarians have serious ideological issues.
>
> Libertarian philosophy has a few minor issues, such as first ownership
> of land and natural resources, "tragedy of the commons" problems, and
> otherwise lawful activities that unavoidably produce pollution or
> other negative externalities.

They can also be resolved in CIVIL law with simple class-action suits.

> These issues, however, are fairly minor, compared to the issues with
> authoritarian and statist philosophies.  And they are not problems
> unique to libertarianism; all advanced societies must address these
> problems, and usually do so through some sort of initiation of force
> and/or fraud.  Since we libertarians by definition don't believe in
> initiation of force and/or fraud, we have a greater challenge before
> us than do authoritarians and statists: we have to figure out how to
> address these problems, and thereby protect a certain set of rights,
> *without* violating anyone else's rights in the process.  It is a
> harder job because we hold ourselves to a higher standard.
>
> Joe

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Am I fucked? HP Photosmart C500 and Win 2000
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:27:58 GMT

No, you are not f*****, but you are a jackass for posting a subject line
like that.  And the people who are defending you are bigger jackasses.

--
---
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Windoze is dying....
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:28:27 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Martigan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:44:12 GMT
<whyC6.30230$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Ray Chason wrote:
>
>> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/04/13/1236215&mode=thread
>>
>> Well, well, well.  It seems the almighty Redmond Empire can't get
>> its Xbox out on time.
>>
>> Guess Windoze must be dying.
>>

>If I may, has M$ been able to get anything out on time?  Heck could they
>even get the SR's out on time?

Well, they did get Win95 out in '95 and Win98 out in '98, so....
...then again, they might have just remained Win97...

:-)

>So I don't see why Windoze is dying.
>
>By that analogy then Linux is close to dead; since the (sorry forgot the
>name) game counsel that WAS going to run on Linux got scrapped.

I think you mean "console", but in any event, it might be better to
just have existing game consoles (Nintendo, Sega, etc.) run Linux
than to have a Linux/PC game console.  Presumably, it has more
to do with marketing than anything else -- and I for one haven't been
following Indrema that closely.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:25:16 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Jean-David Beyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > I thought that a few years ago, the U.S.Navy tried a computer
> > > controlled battleship, and the computers ran Windows NT (probably 3.51
> > > in those days), and it crashed so bad the ship had to be towed into
> > > port. (I may not have the facts exactly correct, but it was pretty
> > > much like this.) Maybe the computers were not exactly your
> > > bargain-basement PCs, but the software must have been. If the U.S.Navy
> > > is dumb enough to use Microsoftware in a battle-critical system, why
> > > would not some private industry be just as dumb?
> >
> > Why let the facts get in the way of a good dis, right?  Your lack of
> > knowledge on the issue doesn't seem to prevent you from jumping to
> > conclusions.
> >
> > The facts in the matter are a) that it wasn't a battleship, and b) that they
> > were running a beta version of the control software which did not validate
> > entry fields.  As such, when an operator entered a 0 into a field, it was
> > stored in the database, causing all subsystems that depended on that
> > information to fail with a divide by zero exception.
> >
> > The application could not be restarted because every time they restarted it,
> > it would re-read the data values and crash again, thus the ship was dead in
> > the water.  Further, the ship wasn't towed in, the ship had alternate
> > propulsion mechanisms onboard because it was an experimental project running
> > beta software.
> >
> > The Navy and the canadian company that wrote the software stated that the
> > problem was not related to NT in any way.  In fact, the canadian contractor
> > laid the blame on the Navy for not installing their validated version before
> > the incident, which would have prevented the problem from ever occuring.
> >
> > The navy, however, believed that they should shake out the vessel and see
> > where the potential failures might be so that in real emergency situations,
> > they would know how to respond.
>
> For all concerned here on this topic: If you know don't talk... If you
> are a contractor for the Navy or U.S. Gov. you have some form of
> clearance...  don't talk.
> You could lose your clearance status and hence your job(s).  Heads up
> fellows.

Correct.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:34:01 -0700

In article <9bia6s$qd4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Brian Langenberger"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Complaints?  I have no complaints.  Laziness is a virtue, not a vice,
> but it came as no surprise that responders would assume otherwise.
> However, the denizens of c.o.l.advocacy have been kicked around by
> trolls so often that I'm not surprised to find a few would look for
> trolls where none exist.

I had to read your post twice before I recognized it as cleverly disguised
advocacy, and not a common troll.  I doff my headgear to you....