  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Lance Togar")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:09:01 -0400

Peter da Silva wrote:

> In article <9bikaq$6a8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joseph T. Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Then move the whole company over to open protocols and interfaces!  :)
>
> That turns out to be harder than it looks, unless one doesn't mind losing
> jobs because one can't deal with oddball Windows-only stuff that customers
> send you. And Star Office is just the beginning.

Simple.  You tell them to send it back to you in a format that's useable.

People do this all the time.

> > A wonderful free tool called VNC can help the migration process
> > tremendously by allowing Linux boxes to run Windows apps running on
> > other boxes and vice versa.
>
> Not to mention Citrix, and Windows based X servers, and VMware.
>
> But eventually you have to go cold turkey.
>
> > Windows.  Then, as groups of users become less and less dependent on
> > M$-only software, you can move some of them over to Linux boxes
>
> FreeBSD, actually.
>
> --
>  `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
>   'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."
>                                                        -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>          Disclaimer: WWFD?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Microsoft gets hard
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:09:14 +1200

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "David Ehrens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:aFHC6.18762$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > I don't care if Microsoft can prove they have 500,000,000 partners.
> > Their allegiances lie with companies in their size and weight class, not
> > small consulting or integration outfits.
> >
> > David Ehrens
>
> Interesting... so given that linux is associated with dirty haired hippies
> in their parents basements vs MS associated with the largest businesses in
> the world - I guess we can see where this is going... you dug your own hole
> bub...

Considering Linux has only been around for 9 years, it has made good
progress.  Even if you were to stictly look at commerical UNIX's, such
as SUN and SGI, they don't need to swing from the rafters declaring how
many "partners" they have, as they already have a proven and trusted
track record with industry.  That compared to Microsoft that is still,
after 10 years trying to prove that they are a good alternative to
UNIX.  Datacentre has been released, however, most people I know still
want to stick with UNIX, because it has a proven track record that is 35
years old, which ranges from supercomputers, to mainframes to mid-range
servers.  So please, before you look at the hype of Microsoft, look at
the industry as a whole, and who are the real innovators.

--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:9 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:09:52 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > As a Democrat I suppose I should demand some money for my votes, but
> >
> > In Milwaukee, the Democrat's unit of exchange is a pack of cigarettes.
>
> I'm not in Milwaukee, but I'll take them anyway.  Make that Marlboro
> Light 100's.  How many votes did you get from me?  One pack per vote
> please.

She's not just cheap...
she's easy, too.
:-)

> Sue

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Franek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:10:41 GMT

Brent R wrote:
> Franek wrote:
> > er... I've done some work on the "factory floor" and I've used different operating
> > systems. First (I'll probably be crucified now) linux crashes just as well as NT,
> > especially with some of the crap that's out there (of course it doesn't show blue
>on
> > screen <g>, maybe that makes it preferable.) Second, NT is used an *awful* lot in
>the
> > factory environment, and again, it's not that bad, no Sir, not at all. Lastly,
>whatever
> > application you're running that *must* not abend, you won't run either on NT or
>linux, or
> > anything else of the kind. For critical real-time control none of these will do.
>QNX will
> > do, as will some specialized systems like DCSs or PLCs. General-purpose boxes
>normally run
> > user interfaces, data collection, recipe loading, this kind of things, not the RT
>control.
> > This stuff can be rebooted relatively harmlessly.
> >
> > The problems with NT have rather something to do with:
> > - cost of licensing and idiotic conditions with artificial limitations
> > - goddamned size of it (linux can be chopped up and configured *exactly* for that
>task you
> > need)
> > - related to the previous: a potentially higher cost of hardware--sometimes it's
> > important.
>
> Hmmm... if you read my other posts and you'll see that I am in no way a
> MS-basher... usually I'm bashing some of the Linux kooks in here...
That's good, and I didn't mean to flame actually, if it came through like that I
apologize. Let there be Peace <g>.

> I have never had Linux even come close to crashing.
That at least depends on the software you run on it. I see it crash every day, during
development of course, but still. I'd say they're about the same if you weigh in all
the
factors.

> CAPS key and watch the light actually go on and off without failure
> (something I could not do in in Windows98).
Ah well, who's talking about 98 <g>?

> I've had problems with NT, not nearly as bad as Windows 98
No sense to even compare. These are different OS'es.

> problems then Linux. I personally can't tell if it's due to bad
> administration or what... it also has to do with a misbehaving app
> locking up the system (and the three fingered salute doesn't bring up
> the NT process screen right away).
That can easily happen, true.

> NT is also a huge resource hog...
Very true. Linux shines in that respect. Otoh, if you load it up as NT, gui and all,
it'll
probably be just as bad or even worse. It's really difficult to compare as a general
case.

> I would suggest that the only reason why NT is making inroads is that
> company's are making apps for it...
Well, that is certainly true, but it's not all there's to it. You gotta admit honestly
that NT is a very rich development environment with great tools. As a workstation where
all its components can really be put to good use, it is very good. As a server, that
becomes more questionable, and in any configuration it's definitely not a good choice
for
an embedded box.

> and phasing out UNIX.
Unix is used an awful lot, I don't think it gets phased out. Again, maybe as a desktop
it
is, but in general it's very strong on the server side.

> I've never heard of QNX (please divulge).
It's a real-time unix. We, for example, make boards that are run under it. Very much
proprietary <g>.

> these companies use IBM mainframes?
They used a lot as well but in places like airline ticket reservation etc. Power,
redundancy, availability, etc., no Unix, much less Windows has got anywhere close to
what
these beasties can do.

> altogether and go with a WS or mainframe. Let's face it... PC's are fast
> but they're pieces of junk.
Why do you say that? Compared to what, mainframes <g>?

> with the punishment that would be dealt to it on a factory floor.
I'm not sure that's true, but perhaps you could point out to something specifically.
There
are many hardened boxes that behave fine on the factory floor, and not only there: IBM
makes this Netframe thing which is truly like a bulldoser. Did you mean some
architectural
attributes?

> used an IBM mainframe (ES/9000, VSE/ESA) for about 1.5 years now, and
> I've seen how much more robust they are and how much PC's suck.
Well, hello, how many of those do you have at home tell me <g>. You're comparing
different
things.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:10:48 -0400

Roger Perkins wrote:

> Bill, he knows little about most things.  I already have put him into the
> ignorant category.

Did you remember to include yourself, perko?

> Roger "I vas just volovink ORDERS!" Perkins
> CHAIRBORNE!

> "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:CoMD6.147$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Roberto Alsina"
> >
> > >, and still you can't see that it doesn't
> > > matter if I understand it or not, because the commandment was not given
> > > me.
> >
> > Then it is simply hypocrisy for you to use it as a point of debate.
> >
> > > Even if you believe you understand it, that's not enough.
> > > Even if Moses believed he understood it, that's not enough.
> > >
> > > Shouldn't you and Moses actually understand it to mean the same thing?
> > >
> > > Or rather, since you were not given the commandment, shouldn't you be
> > > forced to understand it the same way Moses did? *HE* is the one
> > > supposed to speak to god, not you.
> >
> > For whom do you think the word of God was meant?
> >
> > Your statement above proves you know little, if anything, about the
> > Scriptures.  I suggest you learn a bit more before you debate them or use
> > them to in an attempt to make a point.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Lance Togar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:11:34 -0400

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9bnkg3$a8qhr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > The problem is not that Windows or Office are bad software. They aren't.
> > Windows and Office are both fabulous.
> >

> Yes I particularly love the way it regularly crashes just when you are
> about to save the past 2 hours work and lose it all - great feature that.
..
He said it was fabulous software, NOT idiot proof. Before you start another
2 hours of work, I'd suggest you RTFM.
..
..

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:13:42 +1200

<snype>

Think of the issue like this.  We are now in the era of technological
change, yet we still rely on technology 100 years old that has changed
very little.  Instead of the government wasting money on pointless tax
cuts, maybe some of that money could be used to setup a Crown Funded
Laboratory to fund research into economically viable alternative fuels
and the rest used to pay off the overseas debt and public debt.  That
would be a hell of a lot more effective than giving a huge tax cut to
those at the top of the food chain.

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:15:06 -0400

theRadical wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:26:13 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >theRadical wrote:

> >> good one.  that is the stupidest fucking thing i have ever read.
> >
> >You have no idea how large craft actually operate, do you?
>
> more than you obviously.
>

> >> where did you pick that up, from all the merchant mariners you blow?
> >
> >What part of "The captain doesn't man the helm" do you not understand?
>
> i understand it completely. however, that in no way diminishes his
> ultimate responsibility for the ship.
>

> >The HELMSMAN mans the helm (translation: he steers).
> >The officer of the deck tells the helmsman what course to steer.
>
> and the captain is ultimately responsible for any and all moves made
> by both of those people whether he is not he bridge or not.
> therefore, and especially in hazardous areas, the captain is almost
> always on the bridge.

Wrong.  In such areas, the a local professional navigator is ferried
out to the ship.  He then takes the helm because HE is the expert
for those waters.

> >In dangerous waters, especially ports, straights, canals, etc., the
> >captain has ZERO responsibility for the course of the ship...that is
> >turned over to local navigators who know the local waters (depths,
> >currents, wrecks, shoals, sandbars, etc.) thoroughly.
>
> agreed.  i think the technical name you are so doltishly searching for
> here is "pilot."  you claim to be an expert in naval navigation and

Spot the strawman
I never made such a claim....

> don't even know that harbor pilots are called pilots?

So, tell us...if the captain had not been in his wardroom, the helsman
and the officer of the deck of the Exxon Valdez done what, exactly?

Be precise.  Accuracy counts.

> >The captain's job is to see to it that the ship performs it's mission.
>
> yes, true.
>
> >For the most part, that means lots of paperwork.  Conducting inspections
> >throughout the ship, etc.
>
> what a fucking joke.  most ship captains spend their time on the
> bridge.  i think you merchant marine customers have definitely lead
> you astray.

Most officer's work is paperwork.  And the higher you go, the more
there is of it.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Ejercito)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:3 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:14:33 GMT

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:43:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(silverback) wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:13:39 -0400, Rob Robertson
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>>>
>>> Who is Silverdick?
>>
>> Glen "silverback" Yeadon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>also known as "The Global Village Idiot."
>
>no fraud the village idiot is you
   Prove it, gdybozo52150.

 Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Ejercito)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: #Your So-Called Fraud was Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:3
NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:14:44 GMT

From: "Lance Togar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:16:41 -0400

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS PL wrote:
> >
> > As hard as it may be to believe, even in Washington, price and quality
have
> > some value. When a reporter asked why her agency uses Microsoft
products,
> > Reno explained that her procurement policy is to "buy the best equipment
> > possible at the lowest price possible to benefit the American
taxpayers."

> > That's quite a concession. The purpose of American anti-trust law is not
> > prop up corporations that are losing market share, but to protect
consumers.
> > If Windows is the "best" available operating system at the "lowest
possible
> > price," it's hard to see what good it does Microsoft customers to split
the
> > company in half.
>
> What has that got to do with Linux in the larger picture.  Thats the US!
> the US has more money than you could poke a stick at, hence, they don't
> give a shit whether they have to upgrade software every year just to
> ensure maximum reliability.
>
> However, in the real world, such as in New Zealand, where the government
> departments are corporitised, hence, run like corporations, they are
> required to show a surplus, and efficiency gains to the Crown at the end
> of each financial year. The CEO has a three year contract and must
> perform to continue to be the head of the department.  That is why so
> many have either moved or stayed with UNIX/Linux. WINZ (Work and Income
> New Zealand) use UNISYS mainframe loaded with UnixWare, and several
> clusters of HP servers running HP-UX.  Tax department uses AIX.  The
> NZSE (New Zealand Stock Exchange) uses s/400 for mainjor, mission
> critical work, and uses Linux to carry out email etc that aren't mission
> critical, however, once Linux has proved itself they intend to
> incorporate more into the main computer setup.

..
Well put but I'd remind you that the US *is* part of the real world. Like it
or not. Further, Linux and *BSD are doing a whole bunch of work there.
..
..