From: "Zed Mister" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 02:15:21 GMT

The companies that are involved with 'selling' Linux are not doing well at
all.  In fact, they are doing very, very poorly.

Check out the financial results for RedHat (RHAT) since the company's
inception:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/results/hilite.asp?Symbol=rhat

Their revenues are pathetic, to say the least, and the income is well ...
progressively negative.  Redhat has always been in the red.

Now look at Caldera (CALD):
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/results/hilite.asp?Symbol=cald

Their revenues are actually dropping, and they have always been in the red
when it comes to net income.

Compare that to Microsoft (MSFT):
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/results/hilite.asp?Symbol=msft

Relatively speaking, Microsoft is holding strong.  They just reported a net
income of $2.45 Billion on revenues of $6.46 Billion for the latest quarter.
This was fuelled by extremely strong sales of Windows 2000.

Apple's sales and profits are not looking too good, on the other hand.  They
are suffering due to the recent economic slowdowns, whereas Microsoft hasn't
even noticed any slowdown at all.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/results/hilite.asp?Symbol=aapl

If I were Apple, I'd go ahead full force with development of MacOSX on all
consumer and server platforms.  I would push Java application programs so
that any applications that developers write can run with a single
compilation on PPC, x86, Alpha, IA64, x86-64, and other popular or
soon-to-be-popular architectures.  Apple has the ability to change the
computing world as we know it, but they are too afraid to give up their
grasp on their own hardware.  If anything, by opening up MacOSX a bit, they
would be able to sell their own hardware as being the best supported for the
operating system.  People will rush to their hardware if it is indeed the
best, and they can charge a bit more for the higher level of support and
quality.

By supporting all CPU's and embracing Java (or another hardware-independent
programming language), Apple will also allow for much faster development in
CPU design.  CPU manufacturers will no longer be worried about sticking to
an aging architecture, whatever it may be.  They can change the architecture
in any way they see fit, and as long as the OS adds support for it the
programs continue to run (which is what Java is all about).  This is where
Apple should be heading.

"Martigan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:DwYD6.60572$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>         The only bit I can offer is, why even arguee this point?  We,
intelligent
> amercans, know that money runs polotics, and bill gates has plenty of it.
> Any senator that gets $150K a year will gladly listen to Gates' $100k
idea
> of why M$ can help the military the best.
>
>         Remember when the money runs out, M$ will be in trouble, but Open
Source

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: 21 Apr 2001 21:20:41 -0500

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:51:12 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (LinuxBear) oinked:

>> > What the fuck are you talking about?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Aaron R. Kulkis
>> > Unix Systems Engineer
>> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
>> > ICQ # 3056642
>> >

>> you are charming as always, Aaron
>
>true.
>but it's still a good question.
>                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

Aaron and jackie are "buddies"

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 02:23:49 GMT

Edward Rosten wrote:
<snip>

> no
> upgrade treadmill

<snip>

That's not my experience.

I wanted to try PAN. Had to get latest version of GNOME. To get that I
had to get the latest version of gtktools (I think). To get that I had
to get the xml extensions toolkit and so on and so on. Just to run a
newsreader. That is not precisely how the dependencies worked but you
get the idea.

I have a dialup modem so what else were my options? A new version of my
distro would've taken forever to d'load and I didn't feel like spending
more money on a distro. What really pissed me off is that they didn't
seem to have an older version of that software that my version could run
(I didn't want to do all this work just to try this thing out).

--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "David L. Moffitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Survivor Spin-Off
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:31:05 -0500

A Survivors Spin-Off?
With the huge ratings successes of such shows as "Survivors" and "Survivors II,"  a
Texas broadcaster is planning to cash in on its
new program: "Survivor, Texas Style."
    Under this show's concept, the contestants will start in Dallas, travel through
Waco, Austin, San Antonio, over to Houston, and
down to Brownsville. They will then proceed up to Del Rio, on to El Paso, then to
Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, and Amarillo. From there,
they proceed to Abilene, and on to Fort Worth and back to Dallas.
 Each contestant will be driving a pink Volvo with a bumper sticker that reads, "I'm
gay, I voted for Al Gore, and I'm here to
confiscate your guns."
The first one to make it back to Dallas wins!

David Moffitt Lifetime NRA,GOA,JPFO,SAS,TFA Member and BASTARDS----and damn proud of
it!

 If Jesus had had an Uzi in the garden of Gethsemene, things would have
 been a lot different, let me tell you!
          - Zepp, a weasel in talk.politics.guns, May 2000

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:35:50 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:13:25 +0200, Roy Culley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>She was the reason I got out of the UK (well that's what I like to say
>when people ask). I wouldn't wish Maggie on any country. It is only because
>the British people are so placid (it came very close to rebellion at times
>during her premiership) that they allowed her to do what she did.
        Just a repsonse. I rather stay in the U.S for the following
reasons
1. I was born here.
2. I hate changing plugs ;) (from U.S to Euro and back)
3. English is my native language

        Now if anyone in the U.S in the New England area is willing to
hire email me with your requirements. I should point out. I am
visually impaired but still can see some. I cannot drive, My SSI check
does not leave me enough for a professional mover. I am willing to
telecommute (what a concept!). I am considering the Providence RI and
Boston Ma. areas near the MBTA (Massechussetts Bay Transit Authority).
I live in Willimantic Connecticut near Norwich Ct.

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Perl and Tcl/Tk: How important are they?
Date: 20 Apr 2001 20:43:21 -0600

Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Michael Vester wrote:
>
> > > Depends on what you are doing. I invested time in learning Perl. It can do
> > > anything the shell and much, much more. Also, Perl is on just about every
> > > Unix/Linux system out there.  Start at www.cpan.org
>
> A perhaps pedantic example of Perl not being able to do everything a
> shell can do...
>
> You can't change an environment variable other than for child
> processes.  You have to use a shell to do this.

Sure you can:

$ENV{'FOO'} = "BAR";

> I can't think of any others off the top of my head, though.

That's because there aren't any.

> "Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse."
>    Larry Wall, 14 Oct 1998

"C++ is worse than Java because people wanted it worse."
    Craig Kelly, 20 Apr 2001

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 Apr 2001 20:45:39 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) writes:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Ginn
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on 20 Apr 2001 15:32:05 -0700
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >A perhaps pedantic example of Perl not being able to do everything a
> >shell can do...
> >
> >You can't change an environment variable other than for child
> >processes.  You have to use a shell to do this.
>
> $ENV{"VARIABLE"} = 'newvalue' doesn't work?
>
> I'm curious as to whether $ENV{'INC'}, for example, can be
> set prior to a 'require "file";' or 'use package;' statement.

Usually you do:

  push (@INC, "/some/other/path");

Then you can proceed to do whatever you like.

> Of course, putenv("name=value") in a C program doesn't really
> do a lot, either. :-) Unless someone calls getenv("name") later.
>
> As another pedanticism: Perl doesn't have the ability to do
> shell-style history or line editing, AFAIK.
> (Neither does C or C++.  :-) )

Tell CPAN to install ReadLine for you.

(Python can do this just fine as well; and Python has a realtime
interpreter by default)

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:09:51 GMT

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:x50E6.3930$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Tom Wilson wrote:
>
> > The diffference, especially where video is concerned, is that an
> > Accelerated X configuration really puts a card through its' paces. The
> > same can be said for system bus I/O. There's a lot less extraneous
> > overhead than running under Windows and anything marginal tends to
reveal
> > itself under those conditions.
>
> And when said 'accelerated X configuration' actually appears _slower_ than
> the Windows equivalent... you think that's really putting it through it's
> paces?

Not when its' improperly set up...
3D texture mapping and rendering performance is phenomenal on my machine and
X does, indeed, out perform Win 95/98/2000 on it. My only regret is my being
stuck under Win98 and 2000 for the time being developing some ActiveX
controls and hacking out WTL class wrappers. (I like Linux but certainly not
enough to distract me from what pays the bills)

> > As far as KDE 2.1 goes, I found it to be exteremely stable. The only
thing
> > I dislike about it is its' similarity to Windows. This isn't a "Bash
> > Microsoft Kneejerk" thing, just a matter of preference. X, from what
i've
> > experienced, is rock solid stable with the right hardware. There are
some
> > cards, though, that can be a royal PITA. (Fought an ATI Rage 128 AGP
under
> > Red Hat 7 this afternoon, in fact).
>
> And my experience with my home machine and couple of others tells me
> otherwise.

Perhaps you'd be better served sticking with Windows or buying a MAC, until
things stabilize and become less technical?

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:26:50 -0400

"Roy Culley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > OT prediction:.
> >
> > The coming U.S./China war will last 12 days. China will be bombed into
the
> > stone age and there will be 1000 years of peace.
>
> You really are a pillock. The US tried bombing vietnam and cambodia and
> failed miserably. Now lets see how much bigger is china than these
> little countries? If it was anyone else I would assume this was tongue
> in cheek but I really think you are serious. Pillock indeed.

Oh... I guess you forgot, the U.S never tried to win in Vietnam.

The prediction above is more like an inner wish anyway, because I hate
China, always have. But.....all it takes is one attempt at a nuclear strike
from China, which is possible, followed by George Bush's VOW to launch a
full scale retaliatory counter strike. He's already been asked what he would
do in the event of a nuclear strike and answered that he'd automatically
strike back. (Readers Digest, campaign interview).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 04:48:34 +0200

        Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Michael Vester wrote:
>
>> > Depends on what you are doing. I invested time in learning Perl. It can do
>> > anything the shell and much, much more. Also, Perl is on just about every
>> > Unix/Linux system out there.  Start at www.cpan.org
>
> A perhaps pedantic example of Perl not being able to do everything a
> shell can do...
>
> You can't change an environment variable other than for child
> processes.  You have to use a shell to do this.
>
> I can't think of any others off the top of my head, though.

Perl makes it rediculously easy to change environment variables for the
current process. Writing secure scripts relies on this ability.

------------------------------

From: "Zorostorer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 04:02:29 GMT

 > I have Civilisation, Simcity 3000 for Linux, for wordprocessing,
> spreadsheet and presentations I used StarOffice 5.2, btw is very stable,
> I used for University studies.

That's what i heard almost a year ago; meanwhile, Windows at least boasts
new entertainment software everyday.  You may enjoy using the same apps for
Infinity, but many still like variety in the games they play, you know.

  The old argument that Linux lacks the
> apps is based on nothing but pure FUD.

Can I run commercial level applications like Softimage 3d, Protel, Orcad,
Cadence, Hudini commercial applications on Linux (of course there are 100
more commercial apps i could mention)?   Can I play games like Homeworld,
Starcraft, < and the list goes on> on Linux?  I would like to run these
without capatablily problems and configuration script mayhem, as i'm sure
you will mention wine or VMware, both of which don't diliver 100%
capatability, reliability or -- more importantly -- speed.  So, no, it's not
FUD, dude.

> --
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

Last I remember, Linus and the rest of the crew are the ones behind the
Engineering.  Hmm.......

Matt

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Ctrl-Alt-Windows
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:49:06 GMT

"Neil Cerutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Brian Langenberger posted:
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy Roy Culley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >: PC keyboards are crap full stop. Here I am typing on my Sun type-5
> >: keyboard on a PC running linux. A mate built the adapter and it
> >: works like a dream. Sun keyboards are second to none IMHO simply
> >: because they have that wonderful keypad on the left.
> >
> >Or, for $60(US), get a nice Sun Type 6 keyboard with USB:
> >
> >http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/BrowsePage.jhtml?catid=32807
>
> IBM still made a keyboard w/out the Windows keys on it a couple
> of years ago when I went hunting for one. However, it turned out
> to cost $54 dollars so I decided I could coexist with Microsoft
> keys on my keyboard.

I saw a keyboard for sale a couple days ago with the "Penguin"
key on it.

It was a post on slashdot referring to how many people get FreeBSD
and Linux confused. It was in PCOrder or something. The add said,
"Get a Linux keyboard for Linux!" and it showed a box of Red Hat
and FreeBSD. ROFL.

Search slashdot, or I'll try to find the link if you can't find it.

-c

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Exploit devastates WinNT/2K security
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:43:52 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:26:31 +1200, Matthew Gardiner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>With that being said, aren't we gradually moving back to centralised
>computing with technologies such as dot-net, One.net and numerous
>reiterations. The old yo-yo of technology, bash old technology, then 20
>years later, welcome it back as if it was a new idea.
        On my system While I do have a Lan, the system mainly uses
telnet via TCP/IP via NCSA telnet based dos clients to talk to the big
server. My network also has several VT100 terminals. I do have one
full service Linux box as a client also. This system is being
underused for this. Rather my expirence with this type of TCP/IP is
"Where is the asprin! I got to upgrade jennifer.local.net via NIS and
NFS! I may move this client into the "core" and upgrade it to SCSI vs
the current IDE it has and move the C-news system to it, Thus taking
some of the load off of Pinkrose, a full SCSI based Vesa Local Bus box.
        Pinkrose is everything from a FTP (in house) to a News Server
(cnews also inhouse) to the fileserver and terminal server. My lowly
DOS client is a old crufty 486SX with 8mb. both the big box (pinkrose)
and jennifer are 486dx2/66 systems with 20Mb and 8Mb of ram
respectivly.
        Being I am a Command Line Interpeted (CLI) based user a
standard Vt100 provides everything that one normally uses here. What
people in the business world are learning very quickly is that with
dumb terminals on the desks of their workers.. The worker has a
uniform environment reguardless of location, Plus the frustration of
users adding their own software to their own PCs is eliminated. thus
the need of a Windows guru to come and clean up the mess left by the
mangled install of software or a constant Windows crapout. This saves
the company money in administration costs. In addition Terminals do
NOT take the physical space that a full computer does (unless you are
talking of a True VT100 (I got one, I know what I am talking about) or
the electrical resources to keep the PCs running. Terminals do not
have Hard drives, Big fat power consuming monitors, Floppy drives or
at least on mine rodents, nor soundcards or CDroms. This is becoming
extremely important as the California Electrical crisis has shown.
While I live in Connecticut I have been watching the local ISO New
England grid carefully to prepare for the same baloney. Terminals do
not usually require a BIG UPS to keep them online. a small 200VA unit
is more than adaquate for one and perhaps a desk lamp.
        Dumb terminals and dumb thin clients provide these features
witnout special security software required to thwart the savvy user
from adding their favorite games to the company's PCs. or worse taking
sensitive company data home, with out the consent of the appropiate
people.

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:52:41 GMT

"JS PL" <hi everybody!> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Roy Culley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >
> > > OT prediction:.
> > >
> > > The coming U.S./China war will last 12 days. China will be bombed into
> the
> > > stone age and there will be 1000 years of peace.
> >
> > You really are a pillock. The US tried bombing vietnam and cambodia and
> > failed miserably. Now lets see how much bigger is china than these
> > little countries? If it was anyone else I would assume this was tongue
> > in cheek but I really think you are serious. Pillock indeed.
>
> Oh... I guess you forgot, the U.S never tried to win in Vietnam.
>
> The prediction above is more like an inner wish anyway, because I hate
> China, always have. But.....all it takes is one attempt at a nuclear strike
> from China, which is possible, followed by George Bush's VOW to launch a
> full scale retaliatory counter strike. He's already been asked what he would
> do in the event of a nuclear strike and answered that he'd automatically
> strike back. (Readers Digest, campaign interview).

I feel much better about the China situation now without Clinton in office.
Clinton was giving them technology left and right. About 2 years ago,
they were 10-15 years from having theatre ballistic missle launch capability.
They didn't have the advanced rocketry to send a missle into space and
have it land halway across the planet. Thanks to Clinton, they now have
missles pointed at Los Angeles and San Fransico. Before, they could reach
Japan, Korea and Taiwan.

-c