Linux-Advocacy Digest #756, Volume #33           Sat, 21 Apr 01 16:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 (.)
  Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ? (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company (Peter Hayes)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Nomen Nescio)
  Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company (Peter Hayes)
  Re: Aaron Kuklis Arrested! (Peter Hayes)
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. (Michael
Ejercito)
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. (Michael
Ejercito)
  Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company (Peter Hayes)
  Re: Aaron Kuklis Arrested! ("Kelsey Bjarnason")
  Win2000 Sux, was Windows 2000 Rocks! (Terry Porter)
  Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:3 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN) (Michael
Ejercito)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Ray Chason)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (Peter da Silva)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Ray Chason)
  Re: What's the point ("Kelsey Bjarnason")
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (The Ghost In The
Machine)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: 21 Apr 2001 19:09:55 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Says good-bye to expensive, hard to manage unix crap too...

> http://www.vnunet.com/News/1120413

> Zenon Chomyszyn, technology manager at the Halifax, told Computing that the
> company's Unix systems are too expensive to maintain, and that he hopes to
> reduce these costs by installing W2DC, despite a high initial outlay.
> "The benefits will be the management of the systems and boxes rather than a
> saving in purchase price," he said.

> Chomyszyn added that the operating system will increase the availability,
> reliability and scalability of the bank's databases, and will reduce
> operational costs by managing a single server rather than thousands.

Welcome to a single point of failure.

This is why pointy haired types should NEVER make any sort of technological
decision.

=====.

--
"Great babylon has fallen, fallen, fallen;
Jerusalem has fallen, fallen, fallen!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:16:36 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charles Lyttle
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 21 Apr 2001 14:30:09 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

[snip for brevity]

>> Further, the same author that wrote the gcn article (which quotes from the
>> usni article) also clarifies his statements in a followup article:
>> http://www.gcn.com/archives/gcn/1998/november9/6.htm
>That last one is even worse than my story. A divide by zero in the
>controller for a fuel valve caused the entire LAN to go down crashing 27
>remotes? Industry (mostly) fixed that problem 30 years ago. For what its
>worth, I had an NT machine I was working with bring down an entire LAN
>of over 1000 machines. It was called the "ping of death". Some
>applications could cause the NT software to start issuing network pings
>at high speed. These faults often also caused a BSOD, but not always.

Yeah, but is the BSOD on the machine pinging, or one of the
many machines being pinged? :-)

[.sigsnip]

                    We are all naked underneath our clothes.

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:14:13 +0100

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 08:23:09 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Note, under the new Mafia$oft definition, spontaneous reboots aren't crashes.

Do you have a URL for this?

Peter

------------------------------

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:20:11 +0200 (CEST)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) eeped:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> What's NOT to detest about it?
>
> > I personally don't care if someone is homosexual or hetrosexual. People
> > who sit around all day wondering/concerned whether person vxy is a
> > homosexual should get their head examined. I have better things to be
> > concerned about.  I have friends who are gay, and what they do with
> > their "partners" is none of my business.  I think it is about time
> > people stopped thinking that they should be the one standing the high
> > ground, and get down to earth and started respecting people for who they
> > are, not what they are.  The type of bigotry you are demonstrating Aaron
> > is nothing to be proud of.
>
> That "high ground" you mention is most often one of religious origin, and
> within that most often "christian".
>
> Which explains quite alot about aaron's paranoia, insanity, stupidity,
> gullibility and outright lies.

aaron claims to be an atheist.
hth
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:22:00 +0100

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:52:45 +1200, Matthew Gardiner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <snype>
> > That's now largely a thing of the past. I pay Demon £10.75/month plus
> > £5/month to BT for Surftime evening (6pm-8am) and weekend (6pm Friday-8am
> > Monday) unmetered access. Also £15/month to BT Internet for 24/7 unmetered
> > access with 2 hour cutoffs. (One of them is going soon...).
> >
> > Peter
> I pay $30 for line rental, which works out to be around 10 Pounds a
> month, un-metred calls 24/7/365, and 24.95 for Internet, which works out
> to be around 8 Pounds. So for 18 Pounds a month I get unlimited Internet
> Access.

There's $3 for every £2 (give or take a centime) so that's about 36
pounds/month you're paying, which is close to what I'd pay for Demon
24/7/365.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron Kuklis Arrested!
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:27:18 +0100

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:21:45 -0400, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >
> > how come you are running Windows 98?
> >
> > how come you posted it using HTML encoding?
>
> Really really really great camouflage, I guess.  Aaron has his slrn
> newsreader pipe all his posts to a special Perl script, which adds the
> extra encodings.  Can't be too careful with all the kooks attacking
> Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris boxes these days.

I reckon he's using Mozilla 4.76 under Linux.

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Ejercito)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:28:34 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 06:09:03 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(silverback) wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 01:36:27 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>silverback wrote:

>>> it sure the fuck is if there were violations of safety standards. And
>>
>>Then they could have just quit and found some other job.
>
>nope
   Why not?

 Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Ejercito)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:28:51 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 06:08:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(silverback) wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 03:50:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael
>Ejercito) wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:27:39 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>(silverback) wrote:

>>>it sure the fuck is if there were violations of safety standards. And
>>>then we can add millions more each year for the ones dying of
>>>occupational diseases or cancer from exposure to cancer causing agents
>>>at work.
>>   So are you implying the US government committed murder on a mass
>>scale for the past fifty years?
>
>yup fucking raygun did it in Central America. Tricky Dick in Chile.
  Proof?

 Michael

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:28:37 +0100

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:22:00 +0100, Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:52:45 +1200, Matthew Gardiner
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > <snype>
> > > That's now largely a thing of the past. I pay Demon £10.75/month plus
> > > £5/month to BT for Surftime evening (6pm-8am) and weekend (6pm Friday-8am
> > > Monday) unmetered access. Also £15/month to BT Internet for 24/7 unmetered
> > > access with 2 hour cutoffs. (One of them is going soon...).
> > >
> > > Peter
> > I pay $30 for line rental, which works out to be around 10 Pounds a
> > month, un-metred calls 24/7/365, and 24.95 for Internet, which works out
> > to be around 8 Pounds. So for 18 Pounds a month I get unlimited Internet
> > Access.
>
> There's $3 for every £2 (give or take a centime) so that's about 36
> pounds/month you're paying, which is close to what I'd pay for Demon
> 24/7/365.

Woops, wrong $ I guess...

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:31:58 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Todd wrote:
> >
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > how come you are running Windows 98?
> >
> > Why not?
> Linux advocate running Windows 98.  If you talk the talk, walk the walk,
> other wise keep ya trap shut.
> >
> > > how come you posted it using HTML encoding?
> >
> > HTML rocks over text.
> >
> > Are you stuck in the dark ages or something?
> Have you heard of net-etiquette? by posting in HTML is stops people who
> don't have HTML compat. news readers, from reading the post.

Of course, those people are, generally, the ones running the "advanced"
platforms such as Linux, right? :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Win2000 Sux, was Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: 21 Apr 2001 19:32:04 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:01:48 +0100, Hullo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's great.

Was it the color you liked, or perhaps it has a nice smell ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:38:04 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 21 Apr 2001 04:48:09 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Chad Myers wrote:

[snip for brevity]

>> I feel much better about the China situation now without Clinton
>> in office.  Clinton was giving them technology left and right.
>> About 2 years ago, they were 10-15 years from having theatre
>> ballistic missle launch capability.  They didn't have the
>> advanced rocketry to send a missle into space and have it
>> land halway across the planet. Thanks to Clinton, they now
>> have missles pointed at Los Angeles and San Fransico. Before,
>> they could reach Japan, Korea and Taiwan.
>
>And lets not forget the designs for warheads to put into those missiles.
>
>Klinton should be tried for treason, and upon being found guilty,
>hung by his testicle and then shot.

Clinton is actually Brice Wellington in disguise?

That would explain a lot...

:-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- although I thought Brice had two daughters, not one...
                    The US gov't spends about $54,000/second.  I wish I could.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Ejercito)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:3 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:37:55 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 05:57:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(silverback) wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:14:33 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael
>Ejercito) wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:43:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>(silverback) wrote:

>>>no fraud the village idiot is you
>>   Prove it, gdybozo52150.
>
>thats easy just read one of fraud's posts.
   I did. And you are the village idiot.

 Michael

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:40:51 -0000

"Lance Togar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9bnkg3$a8qhr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > The problem is not that Windows or Office are bad software. They aren't.
>> > Windows and Office are both fabulous.
>> >

>> Yes I particularly love the way it regularly crashes just when you are
>> about to save the past 2 hours work and lose it all - great feature that.
>..
>He said it was fabulous software, NOT idiot proof. Before you start another
>2 hours of work, I'd suggest you RTFM.

But I thought Windoze Just Worked(tm) and didn't require you to RTFM.

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: 21 Apr 2001 19:44:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Toon Moene  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Peter da Silva wrote:

> > > Ummm, why not VMS?

> > On the *desktop*?

> What's wrong with that ?

You can't run it on cheap commodity hardware?

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:52:31 -0000

"Edwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9bolc7$a8u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > The problem is not that Windows or Office are bad software. They aren't.
>> > Windows and Office are both fabulous.
>>
>> Hahahahah!
>>
>> Windows and office are _appauling_ products!
>>
>Of course.  That's why so many people buy them, because they want to be
>appalled.

When Windoze is good, it's very good.  When it's bad, it's a
nightmare.  Linux isn't perfect, but when it breaks, at least I can
proceed in a logical fashion to fix it, rather than waving dead
chickens and hoping that something works.

No, Linux isn't quite there for Joe Sixpack.  But just because most
people don't know how to change their oil is no reason to weld my
hood shut.

And most people don't buy Windoze "because they want to be appalled"
or not.  They buy Windoze because they think there's no alternative.
The whole point of Linux advocacy, of Mac advocacy, of BSD advocacy,
etc. is to refute that myth.

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:55:18 GMT

"Neil Cerutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Kelsey Bjarnason posted:
> >How long does it take a person to learn how to use a typewriter,
> >in order to produce a document?  About 10 seconds.
>
> No way. Take somebody who've never used a typewriter before, sit
> them down in front of one and ask them to type you up some
> mailing labels. See if they figure it out in ten seconds.

Note I said "a document".  Mailing labels require some fancier layout
controlling. Fine, call it a half hour?  You think they could learn Linux
system administration in a half hour?  Or a half a week, even?

> Or ask them to use a typewriter to fill out their tax forms.
>
> Operating a typewriter (especially an old clunky one without the
> modern convenience of automatic erase and electronic
> key-triggers) is extremely difficult and takes years to master.

We're not talking mastery, here, we're talking _usability_.  It doesn't take
years, or even hours, to _use_ a typewriter, it takes minutes.

> Probably one of the main reasons computers invaded the business
> world was their advantage over typewriters. If typewriters were
> so easy, nobody would need a word processor.

Typewriters don't store files.  They can't be used to search for things.
They don't have spell-checkers, etc, built in.  Computers are much more
useful, yes - and none of this, yet, shows any requirement that the user
learn a damned thing about managing the machine.

I will delete some of the remainder, since it has absolutely nothing to do
with the subject at hand.

> Some advancements and conveniences are arrived at through, not
> just purchasing technology, but learning to operate it. I've
> heard there are many people that, though they own an oven, cannot
> cook anything but TV dinners. How much more useful is an oven to
> a chef?

And how much more useful still, a combination oven and fridge, with built in
computer control, which could simply be told "I need veal cordon bleu, for
six, with tarragon peas, roast new potatoes, and a cherry pie for dessert,
dinner to be ready at 7PM, dessert to be ready at 8PM" and let the machines
figure it out - right down to the point of noting "Whoops, your cheese has
spoiled and you're out of peas; shall I place an order for these items for
you?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:58:33 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:33:24 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Nomen Nescio wrote:

[snip]

>> windows is a pretty cool system. i like it just fine.
>
>You write like a shit gourmet.
>
>Shit 3.1
>Shit 95
>Shit 98
>Shit NT
>Shit 2K
>Shit ME
>Shit CE
>
>How much more shit are you gonna eat, jackie?

You forgot 3.11 and WFW.  :-)

Not to mention the Mountain-Sized Dregs of an Operating System.

(And then there's Orifice 97, Orifice2000, Weird 2.0, Weird 6.0,
Weird97, and Weird2000...)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- whole lotta weird shit going around
                    This is not a .sig.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:06:51 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:45:55 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nomen Nescio
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:20:06 +0200 (CEST)

[snip]

>> >you write like a homosexual
>>
>> And how would you know?
>>
>> For the record: my understanding is that homosexuals are more intelligent
>> and more sensitive than average.  So "writing like a homosexual" does
>> not seem to be a very effective insult... :-)
>
>pursuing this line of argument is digging your own grave.

Your problem, not mine.  Personally, I'm not that fond of
homosexuals (I'm quite het), but I'm not going to go after
them with a shotgun either, as long as what they do
doesn't scare off the horses.  After all, they're not pigeons,
clay or otherwise.

As for writing...?  I have no idea how homosexuals write.
I know how you and Nomen Nescio write -- more or less.  (That's
obviously by observation.)

I'm not really sure I care; I want to debate the advantages and
disadvantages of Linux over Windows (and Windows over Linux; let's
be fair, here), rather than commeting on someone's prosaic ability.
(Or is that prosal?  Oh well; I'm not sure my writing's all that
grand either -- I just do a lot of it on Usenet. :-) )

[rest snipped]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random prosaic prose here
                    All hail the Invisible Pink Unicorn (pbuh)!