From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:30:39 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > >Hmm, good question, when are we going to get one? Every time there is a
> > >discussion some prick always wants to have a "committee" to discuss
> > >things, thus slowing things down even more.  Well as far as I know, we
> > >go by the UK Constitution, and we have a couple of extra laws surround
> > >it, such as the Human Rights Act and the Treaty of Waitangi, which form
> > >the basis of the government and legal system.  As for the election, it
> > >hasn't happened yet, however, in normal parliamentary circumstances the
> > >governor general would dissolve parliament and call for a fresh
> > >election.
> > The UK hasn't got a constitution. At least not a wriiten one.
> > Tho it might seem otherwise with the EU taking over everything
> > these days.
>
> It was only a guess. HOwever, I'm not overly concerned whether NZ has a
> constitution or not.

There's no reason to be.  Without a Constitution, all NZ law comes
under the provisions of the Magna Carta, as NZ's legal lineage
comes from Britain.

> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:31:30 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > I come from a culture where we are renown for getting along with
> > everyone.  I know more about other country's history than my own. I know
> > more about United States geography than most Americans. I was in a college
> > bar in Ithaca and after listening for hours about how superior the
> > American education system is to the rest of the world. I asked, "What is
> > the capital of New York state?" They looked at me like I was a real
> > Canadian moron and everyone at the table exclaimed it was New York city. I
> > said it was my first time to the great state of New York but even I know
> > that the capital city of New York state is Albany.   I impressed the group
> > since I know all 50 states and their capitals.  My geographical knowledge
> > is vastly superior.
> >
> > In Canada, we learn about everyone else. In the United States, they learn
> > only about themselves and that basically consists of memorizing president
> > names and battle dates.  Knowledge like that is not really helpful when
> > traveling abroad.  In fact, I have found that Americans are the least
> > clued in about what is happening outside their country.  The smart ones do
> > but that certainly did not come from their education system.
>
> Visited Canada, very nice place. oh btw, in History Classes:
>
> Fifth Form: Russian Revolution, The rise and fall of the third Reich,
> the origins of the first world war, the cold war,  Vietnam war, korean
> war (Age: 15-16)
> Sixth Form: Vietnam, Cold War, American Revolution (Age: 16-17)
> Seventh Form: Elizabeth, James, Charles I, Oliver Cromwell, Charles II,
> and in the last term, The treaty Of Waitangi. (Age: 17-18)

What are all of these different "forms" you are referring to?

> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Hullo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 04:30:35 +0100

It is incredibly excellent dude. You know it, I know it. It rocks.

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:34:45 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >
> > Chad Everett wrote:

> > > So much for that New Zealand educational system Matthew is so proud of.
> >
> > It was only a guess. Mind you, if a constitution is drawn up, there more
> > things to be considered such as what roll the treaty of waitangi will
> > play.
> >

> Basically, without a Constitution, then New Zealand's "lineage" of
> legal authority is English Common law (pre-independance) as a base,
> PLUS whatever laws have been enacted locally by the kiwi legislative
> bodies.
>
> > Matthew gardiner
> > --
> > I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
> >
> > If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
> >
> > Running SuSE Linux 7.1
> >
> > The best of German engineering, now in software form
>
> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642
>
> L: This seems to have reduced my spam. Maybe if everyone does it we
>    can defeat the email search bots.  [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> K: Truth in advertising:
>         Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shalala,
>         Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan,
>         Special Interest Sierra Club,
>         Anarchist Members of the ACLU
>         Left Wing Corporate Extremist Ted Turner
>         The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
>         Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,
>
> J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
>    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
>    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
>    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
>    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>    her behavior improves.
>
> D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>    ...despite (C) above.
>
> C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
>    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
>    direction that she doesn't like.
>
> A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Hey, did you know that they actually made "Cruel Intentions 2"? I can't
believe that someone actually saw "Cruel Intentions" and decided that,
yes, this film deserves a sequel. Hmph.
--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron Kuklis Arrested!
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:38:34 +0800

> Todd wrote:
> >
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Linux advocate running Windows 98.  If you talk the talk, walk the
walk,
> > > other wise keep ya trap shut.
> >
> > That's a very extreme point of view.  You wouldn't be European would you
by
> > chance ?  :)
> >
> > Anyway, many LAN shops/Cafes only have Windows... doesn't mean you like
> > use it though.
> >
> > For example, I use Windows 98 to read email when I go on vacation, but I
> > would never use it myself.

> > > Have you heard of net-etiquette? by posting in HTML is stops people
who
> > > don't have HTML compat. news readers, from reading the post.
> >
> > So they should upgrade :)
>
> Fuck you, you standards-perverting piece of shit.

HTML is a w3c standard...

-Todd

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:36:53 +0800

"Mark Hillary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> This is just a load of bollocks. Linux r00lz and that is that.

Well let's take a look...

> I had use
> windows from 3.0 and I am now 18. It tokk me hardly anytime to learn how
> use linux and I have now dumped windows all together.

You may be computer literate.  Millions more are not and need an easy-to-use
system.

So for those people, Linux does not 'r00lz'.

> Safe behind my
> stateful filewall that is built into the kernel.

A firewall on the same machine you are protecting?  Security experts would
say that is not a good setup.

> Knowing that the most any
> virus can do to my machine is damage my users area.

Most viruses aren't that simple... they embed themselves and eventually when
you switch to root... *boom*

> But also knowing that I
> will not lost data because this is backed up using a cron job in the
middle
> of the night.

That's easy for most OSes to do... ever checked out backup on 2000?  A lot
more options than a simple backup with Cron.

> Knowing that if I need to know about a command I can type
> info <command>.

Again, if this impresses you, I can see why you like Linux.  Almost all OSes
had some form of primitive CLI help such as 'info'.

I prefer the additional fully searchable MS help system with contents, index
and full-text search.  Very cool.  And, it is the same across every app. so
you don't have to learn a different help system when using different
tools/apps./whatever.

> And if I can't find out what i need to know from the info
> on my box then I can ask on the web becasue of the linux comminty.

Yes, the internet is a nice place - lots of knowledge.  There are a zillion
groups for Windows as well...

> Know ing
> that my data is safe from back doors in software that is closed source.

Obviously, since you are using an 'Open Source' product.  But what about
'back doors' or bugs in Linux that haven't been found?

My favorite was the Red Hat Linux version that had a one character password
access to root.  Heh.

> Knowing that I can watch Dvd's that come from anywhere in the world.

I don't have a DVD player yet for my PC (that is next after I get a dual
Thunderbird MB when AMD 760MP chipset comes out :)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that out here in Asia, you can buy PC DVD players
that play all DVDs from any region code.  My 'normal' DVD player does indeed
do this - but I noticed you couldn't buy it in the states.

Guess I will need to look into this.  Anyway, this is a product of
copyrights...

> Knowing that I will allways be able to encode mp3's and oggs on my box and
> not have to deal with copy protection software.

There are a bazillion programs like this for Windows.  If you are referring
to XP, it is only Media Player that limits the 'bitness' of MP3s.

You can still use any other software (as I do).

> Lets just say Linux is better.

Everything you mentioned is so easy to do with Windows 2000 - and is done a
lot more elegantly under 2000 as well.

I just can't see anything posted here about how Linux could possibly be
better ??

I guess this is why w2k users aren't convinced.

-Todd

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:40:30 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > >  Names of dictators that killed thousands, yet, not one word from the US:
> > >
> > >  Pol Pot
> > >  Alberto Penche
> > >  Stalin
> > >
> > >  If you are going to jump up on ya soap box and declare war on those who
> > >  oppress the masses, please do it consistency.
> >
> > So you argue that the US should have stayed out of World War Two
> > because it is obvious that no single nation, not even them, can take
> > on all present and future dictators?
>
> If a country is going bitch about a countries human rights record, first
> they need to look at them selves (the Southern States, "Separate but
> Equal" Policy)

Ironically, the Southern states were being run by the SAME political
party which started a war over an argument to keep slavery, and
currently advertises themselves as the "guardians" of minority
rights, even as they destroy the schools of every neighborhood
where there are large concentrations of said minorities.

1860's: Democrats stood for making blacks remain uneducated, living
in wretched housing, and dependant upon white democrats for even
their food, in return for picking cotton.

1970-Present:  Democrats stand for keeping blacks in schools where
nothing is taught (many black graduates of Democrat-run schools
can't even read their own name), living in wretched ghetto housing,
and dependant upon White Democrats for their food stamps and
welfare checks, in return for voting "straight-ticket"(*) Democrat
every election cycle

(*) [US Slang], all ballots have a section at the very top, where
one can vote for a "party", rather than the individual candidates
for any race where each party is allowed to enter only one candidate.
Marking this choice is referred to as a "straight-ticket" vote

>         and why they had not objected to the mass killings in
> places such as Cambodia and Chile, in fact, they actually supported
> chile.
>
> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:41:20 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > Of course, those people are, generally, the ones running the "advanced"
> > platforms such as Linux, right? :)
>
> What possible benefits does HTML have over normal text? Apart from being
> able to click on a click and the browser automatically loads?

Increased bandwidth and retard-amusing font and color selection.

> Matthew Gardiner
> --
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:42:09 +0800

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Novell Netware is dead. Why train and work in a dead technology.
>
> I agree, thats like training to become a MSCE.

Funny, most jobs I look at these days require or state that MSCE cert. is a
bonus.

-Todd