From: "Fozz Bix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Flash: Saviour or Scourge of the Universe?
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:48:49 GMT

I'm giving a talk about Flash to a group of New Media Groupies, about the
advantages and disadvantages of Flash. I'm very curious about gnu/linux and
open source alternatives - such as Scalable Vector Graphics. Can anyone here
in advocacy direct me on the path of enlightenment? [btw, my background is
mac and design!!!]

thanks

Jake

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Why linux is good and a complaint about RedHat
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 00:43:51 GMT

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 07:05:40 GMT, Ace Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm contemplating moving over to SuSE from Caldera only because it's
> taking Caldera so long to put out a real distribution with 2.4.

Caldera's new release is in open beta.  They have always waited a while
before jumping on the new stuff.  One of the features they sell is _not_
being on the bleeding edge.  "Linux for Business" and all that.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan.  (was Re:
Communism,    Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
Date: 23 Apr 2001 00:50:06 GMT

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:09:35 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> Are you aware that, according to feminist doctrine, ***ALL*** sex
> between men and women (including consensual sex between a husband
> and wife) is rape.

Nonsense. It's true that there are feminists this extreme, but it's
certainly not true that all feminists are like that. That's sort of
like saying that all conservatives hold similar views to Pat Robertson.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: Mr. Voleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:07:24 -0600

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 04:28:22 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> expounded:

<"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
[...]
<>
<> Any man who supports Feminism is a self-flagellating idiot.
<
<Well I would say that it depends on what type of feminism.
<Turn-of-the-century-feminism wasn't as insistent as Steinem-feminism to
<turn women into Oprahized-overemotional blabbering idiots.

Turn of which century?  That was 100 years ago an is irrelevant
(how 'bout them Whigs?) Modern feminism has *nothing* to do with
equality or honest rights and responsibilities.

<
<Intelligent and successful women are to busy succeeding to vomit forth
<nonsense about how 'oppressed' they are.

They just take advantage of it, quietly.

<
<I heard some idiotic college professor go on NPR and blab that women
<were under-represented in the computer industry because of...
<
<
<computer games!!! She was claiming that through 'Lara Croft' and the
<like, women were being painted into a 'sex-kitten role' (let's see: a
<woman portrayed as a strong Indiana Jones character who eludes her male
<pursuers... yeah that is oppressive).I wanted to reach through my radio
<and slap her wart-riggen face.

Well, I'm *all upset* about how few boys play with Barbie dolls
and I'm calling for the federal gummint to investigtate and then
push people around until they act like I think they should act.

Why is her stupid opinion treated like news and my stupid opinion
isn't?

Answer: Minitru.

<But, of course, such expressions of utter contempt are by and large not
<productive. Better to humiliate her intellectually than to allow myself
<to be portrayed as a reactionary.

Why care what "they" think when what "they" think is so silly?

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 01:13:01 GMT

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : I phased out using Linux after being disappointed in the web-browsing
> : options.
>
> Those options have improved dramatically during the past year or so,
> mainly because of Konqueror, which is a truly amazing piece of
> software, but also because Mozilla and its derivatives are finally
> becoming usable.
>
> Caveat: I don't lose sleep over not being able to view IE-only
> "content," or any other content requiring proprietary add-ins (Flash,
> etc.).  If they want my business, they will comply with RFC, W3C and
> ISO standards, AT LEAST as an option.
>
> Joe

Hmm... I guess I'll finally have to give Konqueror a try.
--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 01:24:18 GMT

jet wrote:

> Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> for

> > > Let's see...
> > >
> > > What do you call a system where
> > >
> > > Class A has many burdensome restrictions and many responsibilities
> > > bot Class B, and NO privileges,
> > >
> > > while Class B has unlimited freedoms, no restrictions and zero
> > > responsibilites to Class A
> > >
> > > That is called FEUDALISM, is it not?
> > >
> > > Now...look at the society which feminism has made for us.
> > >
> > > Class A above is defined as "men"
> > > Class B above is defined as "women"
> > >
> > > So much for freedom and equality.
> > >
> > > Any man who supports Feminism is a self-flagellating idiot.
> >
> > Well I would say that it depends on what type of feminism.
> > Turn-of-the-century-feminism wasn't as insistent as Steinem-feminism to
> > turn women into Oprahized-overemotional blabbering idiots.
> >
> > Intelligent and successful women are to busy succeeding to vomit forth
> > nonsense about how 'oppressed' they are.
> >
> > I heard some idiotic college professor go on NPR and blab that women
> > were under-represented in the computer industry because of...
> >

> Does anyone outside of a college campus take anything non science college
> professors say seriously?
>
> > computer games!!! She was claiming that through 'Lara Croft' and the
> > like, women were being painted into a 'sex-kitten role' (let's see: a
> > woman portrayed as a strong Indiana Jones character who eludes her male
> > pursuers... yeah that is oppressive).
>
> Hmmm...doesn't bother me.

I think she was complaining that Lara Croft represented unrealistic body
proportions and that that somehow prevented young girls from entering
into Math/Science.

--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 23 Apr 2001 01:28:43 GMT

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 01:24:18 GMT, Brent R wrote:
> jet wrote:
>>
> I think she was complaining that Lara Croft represented unrealistic body
> proportions and that that somehow prevented young girls from entering
> into Math/Science.

Both observations are indeed correct -- not many young girls enter math
and science[1], and Lara does have unusual body proportions. But the link
between the two ? Suffice it to say that not many young girls entered
math or science *before* Lara either (-;

[1]     This isn't quite true anyway. How many women in the average biology or
chem class, for example ? It's mostly math/physics/comp-sci/engineering
that are male-dominated.

From: "pookoopookoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:29:54 -0400

> If windows and office were free, I would still use Linux because it is
> much better. TeX is totally superior to Word. And judging by Micros~1's
> past performance, it always will be.

You can't compare Tex to word, that's apples and oranges. Compare it to
Quark Xpress (a proprietary goddamn nightmare, took us 5 YEARS to get from
3.3 to 4.1) and Quark will TROUNCE TeX in output capability, flexibility,
color correction and most important of all, file compatibility. The industry
that TeX is aimed at uses Quark right now, not Word. Compare Staroffice
Write to Word and you've got a matchup. I think Word is WAY too
feature-laden myself, no one needs all that crap. Even Staroffice has a
frightening amount of Layout-like features (I do my layouts in Quark). But
hey, it's smaller, it feels a bit slower but at least it doesn't genetically
alter your copy of windows the way Office 2000 does (cross your fingers that
you NEVER have to abort an office 2000 install...) =) I do hate the fact
that you can't just start one app. I don't like the fact that I have some
weird "faux" desktop when I use it and the extra "Start" button seems to
have been put there just to spite microsoft, which I don't find very classy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Parg2000)
Date: 23 Apr 2001 01:46:07 GMT

>Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Donovan Rebbechi)
>Date: 4/22/01 6:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 01:24:18 GMT, Brent R wrote:
>> jet wrote:
>>>
>> I think she was complaining that Lara Croft represented unrealistic body
>> proportions and that that somehow prevented young girls from entering
>> into Math/Science.

{Parg}  I'm not sure that today's young girls would be put off of engineering
by that sort of figure, unless the rest of society is also telling them they
cannot achieve.

>Both observations are indeed correct -- not many young girls enter math
>and science[1], and Lara does have unusual body proportions. But the link
>between the two ? Suffice it to say that not many young girls entered>math or
science *before* Lara either (-;

>[1]    This isn't quite true anyway. How many women in the average biology or
>chem class, for example ? It's mostly math/physics/comp-sci/engineering
>that are male-dominated.

{Parg}  Back in the late 70s I worked for a company where they were training Co
technicians in [at that time] fairly state of the art computer systems....all
on a main frame with a variety of networks.  BTW....that was NOT my job there.
<G>  A young woman was hired for this unit, however, and she had some hands on
experience with the old computer system, that took, literally four floors of
space!  Anyway,  she quit the team after working there for only a few days, and
went back to the job she had at a less sophisticated station.  At the time, I
had no idea why she quit, but a couple of months  later, I saw her at a company
function and she told me.   She was scared.  Where she had to work was a room
full of men she didn't know, and when she arrived there on her second day of
work, they had put some sort of game on....something about raping and scalping
an Indian woman.   I guess the guys all thought that was pretty cute.   BTW, I
failed to mention;  the girl was part American Indian.  It was obvious to her
they didn't want her there.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:00:01 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > > Visited Canada, very nice place. oh btw, in History Classes:
> > >
> > > Fifth Form: Russian Revolution, The rise and fall of the third Reich,
> > > the origins of the first world war, the cold war,  Vietnam war, korean
> > > war (Age: 15-16)
> > > Sixth Form: Vietnam, Cold War, American Revolution (Age: 16-17)
> > > Seventh Form: Elizabeth, James, Charles I, Oliver Cromwell, Charles II,
> > > and in the last term, The treaty Of Waitangi. (Age: 17-18)
> > >

> > What are all of these different "forms" you are referring to?
>
> You start school at the age of 5, The first 6 years you are Primary
> School, next two years you're at Intermediate, then for 5 years you're
> at College, which goes from 3 form to 7 form.  University Entrance takes
> place in seventh form where you require at least 3 C passes to be
> accepted into a basic Liberal Arts Degreee.  There are two options after
> College, either Univeristy or Polytech, however, since both now can
> teach degree level qualifications, the difference is now very small.

Age             NZ                      US      Traditional     New
--     ----------------------   ------------------------------------------------
5       Primary School          Kindergarten    Primary         Primary
6       Primary                 Grade 1         Primary         Primary
7       Primary                 Grade 2         Primary         Primary
8       Primary                 Grade 3         Primary         Primary
9       Primary                 Grade 4         Primary         Primary
10      Primary                 Grade 5         Primary         Primary
11      Form 1 Intermediate     Grade 6         Primary         Middle School
12      Form 2 Intermediate     Grade 7         Jr. High        Middle School
13      Form 3 College          Grade 8         Jr. High        Middle School
14      Form 4 College          Grade 9         High School     Middle School
15      Form 5 College          Grade 10        High School     High School
16      Form 6 College          Grade 11        High School     High School
17      Form 7 College          Grade 12        High School     High School

After Grade 12,then you attend college, university (which is
usually called "going to college" in the US), or trade school
(or just dive into the unskilled labor force).

The structure AND NAMES of the the "New" style in the US is what first
tipped me off to the Communist infiltration in the US Schools.

Why did they change the names from "Jr. High" to "Middle School"
when it's supposedly the same thing?

To me, it's simple...by changing the name from "junior high school"
to "middle school", it indicates to those in the know, that the
(American) school district in question has been successfully
subverted according to the designs of the government Moscow.

Maybe this is wacky...but I notice a correlation between the two.

> Matthew Gardiner
> --
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Linux advocates posting from Windos 98 (what to do with them)
Date: 22 Apr 2001 20:39:55 -0500

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:52:43 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 22 Apr 2001 15:50:13 -0500, Donn Miller
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Clinton committed treason on such a massive level that he has
>>> NOT ONLY all of the inhabitants of North America for the next
>>> several decades, but many many other nations as well.
>>
>>I think Linux advocates who create spin and propaganda that they alter their
>>headers when they really are posting from Windows 98 should be hung by their
>>testicles.
>
>Aaron has testicles??????

He used to.  The were removed when he was hung by his testicles during
Desert Storm.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:02:45 -0400

Conch wrote:

> Martigan wrote:
> >
> > O.k. now that I have your attention,.
> >

> [///]
>

> >  P.s.s. If windows is so "great" why can it be brought down with a
> > "dumb-ass.txt.vbs"??????
>
> It's like this.  Sure, Linux is robust and it stays up and running
> compared to Windows 98 (or whatever version).  But having a computer
> and its OS stay up is quite boring if there are no applications to
> run on the damn thing!  I mean, sitting there all day long listening
> to the computer fan while Linux runs and I have no apps to play with
> doesn't exactly give me a woody!
>
> If you are into sitting around listening to a computer fan all day,
> then Linux is for you.  If you like hot rodding around with the latest
> and coolest commercial, shareware, and freeware apps, then Windows is
> the only choice!

Linux has a far wider selection of freeware.  A typical distribution
comes with around 2,000 FREE APPS....from the mundane (office suites
and messaging and chat software) to the esoteric (electrical engineering
design tools).

Hope that helps.

> I didn't make the rules, this is just the way it is for right now.

Unfortunately for you, you haven't even figured out where the
big leagues are.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:04:55 -0400

Zorostorer wrote:

>  > I have Civilisation, Simcity 3000 for Linux, for wordprocessing,
> > spreadsheet and presentations I used StarOffice 5.2, btw is very stable,
> > I used for University studies.
>
> That's what i heard almost a year ago; meanwhile, Windows at least boasts
> new entertainment software everyday.

17 knock-offs of the same exact thing is NOT variety.

>                               You may enjoy using the same apps for
> Infinity, but many still like variety in the games they play, you know.
>
>   The old argument that Linux lacks the
> > apps is based on nothing but pure FUD.
>
> Can I run commercial level applications like Softimage 3d, Protel, Orcad,
> Cadence, Hudini commercial applications on Linux (of course there are 100
> more commercial apps i could mention)?   Can I play games like Homeworld,
> Starcraft, < and the list goes on> on Linux?  I would like to run these
> without capatablily problems and configuration script mayhem, as i'm sure
> you will mention wine or VMware, both of which don't diliver 100%
> capatability, reliability or -- more importantly -- speed.  So, no, it's not
> FUD, dude.

A typical Linux comes with 2,000 *SOLID* apps....all the way up to
esoteric things like Electrican engineering and chemical engineering
design tools which cost THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS/YEAR to licence in LoseDOS land.

> > --
> > I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
> >
> > If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
> >
> > Running SuSE Linux 7.1
> >
> > The best of German engineering, now in software form
>
> Last I remember, Linus and the rest of the crew are the ones behind the
> Engineering.  Hmm.......
>
> Matt

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.