From: "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:23:13 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Weevil wrote:
> >
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > The reason I hate Mafia$oft is because all of their products
> > > fail to pass basic design laws and  quality tests.
> > >

> > That's not a reason to hate them; that's a reason to pity them.
>
> Not when they PROHIBIT OEM's from installing better OS's and software
> instead.

That's a separate issue, unrelated to the poor quality of their software.

> A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

And fools are mocked by everyone, including other fools.  :)

--
Weevil

"The obvious mathematical breakthrough [for breaking encryption schemes]
would be development of an easy way to factor large prime numbers."
 -- Bill Gates, The Road Ahead (pg 265), 1995

------------------------------

From: "You've got MALE.. sex organs!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:15:38 -0500

Translation: the girls back home won't touch Aaron, in spite
of his brushes and M16..

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Bye all. Wow the Linux scene has changed.
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:43:41 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:01:29 +0200, David Coto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I personally don't understand people that do hate
> void main(void), since is just a declaration ...

The standard says that main() returns an int.  So if you don't care
about the parameters, use "int main (void)".

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:43:43 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:13:15 GMT, Daniel Johnson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As I said, IBM offered three choices and MS-DOS was
> the one consumers favored early on. But that didn't
> matter much- had (say) CP/M won out, Microsoft
> could still have persued their Windows strategy
> by running Windows on CP/M.

I wonder if it would have been nearly as successful, MS not being able
to control CP/M and all.

More likely, Digital Research would have been the one building a popular
GUI on top of their OS.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: 24 Apr 2001 01:12:15 -0500

On 16 Apr 2001 20:27:46 +0200, Bruce Scott TOK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brent R  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Donn Miller wrote:

>>> What about KDE 2.1's Konqueror?  Decent, but doesn't work with all
>>> sites.

>>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>>> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
>>
>>Ahh, but what if you don't like KDE? Most Linux people don't like KDE
>>because it's too much like Windows.
>>
>>I'll admit that I haven't tried it for that reason.
>
>I don't like KDE either... but its games work under fvwm2.  So does its
>browser?

KDE is great.  The latest 2.1.1 is stable and really quite nice.
I like GNOME too, but their selling out to Ximian and the latest
sloppiness of the 1.4 release has turned me off a bit.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Women's rights and responsibilities.
Date: 26 Apr 2001 00:18:31 GMT

On 25 Apr 2001 20:09:05 GMT, Roberto Alsina wrote:

>>The women choose to live there so its their social choice. sky
>
> Actually, no, they don't. They are not allowed to leave the country without
> autorization. Think about it, how do you leave the country without
> leaving the house?

You're absoluteltly correct -- you need a male relative or spouse with you
if you travel abroad.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:19:28 +0100

On Wednesday 25 April 2001  6:09 pm in article
<9c70d3$13p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brian V. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Wires!  We dreeaamed of having wires!  We had to wet our skin and make
> connections with our fingers!

Luxury! We had to live at the bottom of t'lake, eat freezing cold poison
for breakfast, and lick t'road clean on't way to school...
[It always comes back to the Monty Python sketch in the end]

--
Garry Knight

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tom parker)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:34:57 GMT

On 24 Apr 2001 22:48:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
wrote:

>>> You said women are better off when they are not allowed to walk in
>>> the street without male company.
>>>
>>> That's pretty hateful.
>>
>>Ask a woman who'se been raped while walking home alone at night.
>
>For a self-proclaimed freedom lover, you have a very hard time
>noticing the difference between personal preference and enforced
>restriction.
>
>If those women prefer to walk alone, they should be able to.
>If those women prefer not to walk alone, they should be able to.

If you will settle for probabilities, the women shouldn't worry about
it as much as the men.  By far the greatest number of victims of
violence of all kinds are men. (In the US anyway).

Tom Parker
Stupidity is Evil waiting to happen. - Keith Thernes

------------------------------

From: "Russell Easterly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.object,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.theory,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Impact of Internet
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:26:58 GMT

"Jan Vorbrueggen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > CERN invented the Internet?? A short time ago???
>
> Well, Tim Berners-Lee, working at CERN, invented HTML and what is now
called
> WWW. So it depends what the word "internet" means to you. For most of its
> users, I would consider the statement to be at least two-thirds true.

I remember when my favorite BBS started to
offer this new fangled network called the World Wide Web.
The BBS software then was much better than the WWW.
The only real benefit the WWW gave you was the ability
to send email to someone on the other side of the country.
I knew it wouldn't catch on because no one ever needed to
email someone that lived in another city.

Russell
- The universe is one dimensional

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 26 Apr 2001 00:28:24 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:08:44 -0400, Sky King wrote:

> The women choose to live there so its their social choice. sky

No, they don't and no, it isn't. (They aren't allowed to leave the country
without a male relative or a spouse)

> Unless of course women choose their lifestyle and have NO other
> choices at ALL. This is not the case.  They could leave the
> country etc. sky

No, they cannot leave the country. In fact they cannot even leave the house
on their own.

> Well we have AA, quotas, diversity hiring, the VAWA, the Child

This is a lie (at least if you are talking about the US) It's not legal
to practice quota hiring. Even giving preferential treatment to minorities
has been struck down in courts (See Hopwood vs State of Texas, where the
circuit court concluded that you couldn't do anything of the sort)

> Abandon Law and on and on.  All these benefit women and not
> men. Only men are forced by law to support kids that are not theirs.

How are they forced to support kids that are not theirs ?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 26 Apr 2001 00:41:07 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:18:16 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

>> how can I help you? >dict feminism
>> Concise Oxford Dictionary, 8th Ed., Copyright 1991 Oxford Univ. Press
>> se>
>>
>>  /feminism/ <<"femI%nIz(@)m>> n.
>> 1. the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the
>>    sexes.
>
> I don't give a fuck what they ***SAY*** they're about...I watch what they
> ***DO***

No, they don't. See the above definition. A feminist is anyone who does
that specified in the above definition.

> And what feminists ***DO*** is seek unfair advantage over men.

Again, you're using a cricular argument. You're defining "feminist" as such
a person, and then conluding the same.

It might be true that *some* feminists do this. The problematic phrase is
"equality of the sexes".  The differences of opinion between moderate and
lunatic feminists boil down to how this phrase is interpreted.

However, it should be clear from the above definition that the word
"feminist" is a fairly broad term, and does not only apply to Dworkin
and her advocates.

I suspect you're playing the game of choosing a group, and demonising them
by identifying them with extremists (conservatives perpetrate this sort
of fraud with the word "liberal" all the time)

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:42:32 GMT

"Roberto Alsina"

> > Your cite for such?
>
> No cite, but a little logic. Why would god give a commandment that could
> not be understood?

You seem to be the only one that doesn't understand it.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Importance, or lack, of Marketshare?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:48:34 -0400

MH wrote:

> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > The Microsoft zealots always quote marketshare at some point, have you
> noticed?
> > I started thinking about that, why is it important? Is it important?
>
> In a mixed economy it's vitally important.
> Unless something happened while I napped, I believe this is still a
> capitlist system.
> Marketshare == more captial, which in turn means more investment, more
> investment == more R&D. Which == more products & promotion which == ...
> circular development and growth, which == more return on investment, which
> == ...

Not really true. A small slice of a market can be enough to fund a good
company. Mercedes sells fewer cars than GM, but is seemingly more profitable
and does more research.

Success or failure of a company is more about how well it manages its
resources, which market share is only one.

> > I think "why" marketshare is somewhat important, is because you need a
> > community of users and developers to create the various software. The days
> > where one could write all that they need are long gone.
>
> Market 'share' is an odd term when you ponder it.
> The market 'slice' that a company has at any given time is a better term for
> me when talking about a 'market'. If we're talking about some
> pie-in-the-sky, romantic, Eric Raymond-like-LSD-induced mirage --where life
> is a bowl of strawberries as long as you divulge the 'source', count me out.
> Viewing source _is_ cool. Making it a business model is absurdity. Free and
> open intellectual exchange, as beneficial as it is,  doesn't pay the bills.
> Torvalds is out at Transmeta gobbling 6 figures enabling Bill Gate's
> visions, such as the new Tablet coming from MS in 2002 which will run on
> Transmetta's processor.  Is Transmeta's internal source or intellectual
> property open? I think not.
>
> I prefer reality with my breakfast.

Reality is an interesting point of view. Bill Gates may be very wealthy, and
Microsoft may be profitable, but they are not necessarily the best way to go.
With the wavering economy, open source may start taking bigger chunks out of
commercial software.

> > The real issue is how big does that market need to be? How many active
> > users/developers does it take before a system is self sustaining? Also,
> does
> > open source make this number larger or smaller than the equivalent closed
> > source?
>
> The market, under ideal conditions, should be its own determinate.

Pure "capitalism" does not work. Capitalism with social controls is the only
proven successful path for humans.

--
I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.
========================

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:44:12 GMT

"Roberto Alsina

> >Yet the question remains unanswered.
>
> Yup.
>
> > Just what is this "global society" you say exists?
>
> Why should I answer that?

Good bye.  Plonk.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 26 Apr 2001 00:44:21 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:16:18 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> So you think most women that call themselves feminists
>> are not really feminists?
>
> Most American women who don't even call themselves feminists have a SEVERE
> "women should be able to take anything a man has, and give nothing
> in return" attitude.

Sweeping generalisations. And largely untrue in my experience.

I'm sorry you've had such a hard run with women.  Maybe it partly explains why
you're such an "angry man".

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.military.folklore
Subject: Re: Shooting Medics and other Geneva Convention Violations
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:46:57 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

> Bill, you have ZERO credibility until you ANSWER THE QUESTION

LOL!!!  This from a known liar and a wannabe.  Still exitable I see.
Continue the dance, KuKuNut.  LOL!!!

> Do you agree with the observation that Germans, Japanese, North Koreans,
> Chinese, Viet Cong, and  North Vietname regulars shot at American medics
> properly identified, according the the Geneva Convention, with red-cross
> insignia on their uniforms, helmets, vehicles and facilities.
>
> A) yes
> B) no.

C)  Who gives a shit other than the KuKuNut?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 26 Apr 2001 00:50:03 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:51:36 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> "You've got MALE.. sex organs!" wrote:
>>
>> I understand the wimmen really go for those unix programmer geeks
>> nowadays. But just for SEX, they want to screw the little geeky brains
>> out - certainly not for dating!
>>
>> They particularly like that gynophobic disposition, developed over a
>> lifetime of not getting laid, or even a smell.
>>
>> Right, you pathetic little right wing turd unix programmer geek?
>>

> I'm also
> A soldier
> and an artist.
>
> Of course, most foreign women appreciate intelligence more than their
> American counterparts...so... they get the rewards.

If your personality resembles your uesnet persona in any way, I see why
you would scare a lot of women away.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:03:49 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> > >Could you post a price list please. <G>  Any discounts available?
> > >
> > >Sue
> >
> > Ma'am..for you , Ill make sure you get a good selection of every thing
> > for free.
>
> Everything?
>
> But...sue's a married woman.

I am?  You mean that paperwork I got from the court in 1987 was fake?
Geeze, I hope this doesn't get out because I sure don't want The Asshole
showing up at my door demanding his marital "rights".  eeewwww.  If I am
still married, as you say, I must say that these last 14 years have been
the best part of it. <G>

Sue (who is "taken" but not married)