From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:35:05 -0400

JS PL wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >
> > Said "JS PL" <hi everybody!> in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 22 Apr

> > >The DOJ or any government agent would never load Linux on a PC. That would
> > >ruin their false stance that  MS is a monopoly.
> >
> > That's bullshit.  We are all aware of your warped, in fact
> > self-conflicted, definition of 'monopoly', JS PL, but nobody takes it
> > seriously.
> >
> > >Even though they could run
> > >it, they won't.
> >
> > Even though they might, they can't.  It would prove too expensive and
> > time consuming to avoid MS software while maintaining connectivity, a
> > well-supported supply basis, familiarity by general staff, all at the
> > same time, merely to avoid monopoly crapware.
>
> Too expensive? I don't get it? What is more expensive about running
> Linux?

How about retraining staff to use a different OS. How about the
Microsoft tax on most computers bought today (except for those few
offerings with Linux pre-loaded, or machines with empty HDs.

> Most real businesses use proprietary software so it can't be
> because the clerk would have to learn somerthing new. The database
> software that they use is all proprietary anyway so the UI wouldn't
> change just because it is on top of Linux.

Do you know that for sure?

> Me thinks your grasping at straws. There's nothing more expensive about
> switching to Linux.  They don't do it because Microsoft  produces a much
> better OS.

No its not.

> It's surely not because there are better applications written
> for Windows! Just ask any Linvocate.

Well, I dont much like Office, and I havent used Applixware too much. I
have heard a lot of both good and bad about Staroffice/Open Office. The
other apps.. yup. Better.

> > >What Microsoft should do is offer to buy the new and more
> > >sane panel of judges both knind of OS's on a dual boot machine and see which
> > >one (as consumers) they choose to boot into most often. Load both OS's up
> > >with the exact same applications, Office for windows, Star Office for Linux
> > >as well as a host of other apps which mirror each other in functionality on
> > >each OS. I gurantee the Judges will conclude that Windows is in use by 98%
> > >solely because of quality. And after six months of using their choice I'm
> > >sure they will have chosen to boot into Windows ohh....Id say....98% of the
> > >time!
> >
> > Where is Rex Ballard (whom you've misconstrued in using his theories to
> > support monopoly crapware) when you need him?
> >
> > No, anonymous troll, they would not.  They'd use Linux, because it is
> > the superior system, and they would convict Microsoft, because Windows
> > is the only commercially viable platform, and there is nothing but
> > anti-competitive activity which could have brought this split situation
> > about.
>
> How would you know Linux is the superior system? You don't even have the
> intelligence to use it for your Microsoft ranting! Claiming some type of
> hidden force is causing you to use Windows. If I'm able to support
> windows using Linux (check headers) at no additional cost, you should be
> able to slam them using anything BUT their own software!

OK... I'll slam  Microsoft from other OS's (check headers) for him.

> > >Microsoft posseses an "advantage" not a "monopoly".
> >
> > You possess a "brain" but not a "mind".
>
> Well usenet kook, it doesn't change the fact that Microsoft possesses
> merely a marketing advantage. Not a monopoly.

You are wrong. Micro$oft does indeed possess a monopoly.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: 30 Apr 2001 21:31:11 GMT

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:56:36 GMT,
 The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Pete Goodwin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:46:23 +0100
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>
>>> Lyx beats Word ANY day of the week.  Granted, I'm biased, having done a
>>> maths degree.  Ever tried putting equations/obscure mathematical symbols
>>> into Word?
>>
>>Ever tried writing a simple letter with Lyx. It's far easier with Word.
>
> Actually, it probably is.  Now a 100-page report, on the other hand...
>
> But then, that's what WYSIWYM [*] is all about; one has to think *before*
> putting words to paper.  (One should, anyway.)
>
> Mind you, how hard is it to:
>
> - fire up an xterm, if necessary
> - type in 'lyx' or click on a LyX icon
Thats what I do

> - File>New from Template
Yep

> - select a filename
Yep

> - select a template ('letter.lyx')
Yep

> - Type in what's needed on the provided template
yep

> - print it out
Piece of cake, thats what I've been doint the last 4 years :)

> ?
>
> That's all one has to do on this version of Lyx (Debian).
> I doubt it's much different on other versions.
Nope and Im running Mandrake atm.

> It's even preformatted, for those who are only semi-literate
> in the preparation of business documents.  :-)  (Like me; I
> don't send letters like this on a daily basis.)
I do.

> But I suppose Clippy makes it much much easier, somehow....?
Hahahah

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: "Zenwolf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,soc.singles,alt.support.troll-acceptance,alt.snuh
Subject: Re: Importance, or lack, of Marketshare?
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:44:21 -0600

Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> whenever i see this it is my policy to add an extra newsgroup.
> or three.
>
> > > The true value of an education.
> > >

> > > Mafia$oft's greatest assets are ignorance and stupidity.
> > But fortunately, history will repeat itself.  Remember back in the dark
> > ages when books became more wide spread, and people began to read, and
> > become educated, the ending result, the church no longer had the strong
> > grip on society it once had.  As users become more knowledge-able,
people
> > will start to question Windows, and become bored of its limitations.
Users
> > will then look for alternatives, and there, waiting in the side line
will
> > be Linux, an OS that users can keep on learning, expanding, customising
> > what ever they want it to be.  There are no limitations. I have been
using
> > Linux for around 4 years, and I am still learning new things, thus, it
is
> > an exciting OS to use and it is always improving.
>
> what makes you think most people want to learn new things?
>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman

Questyen. I am rather stupid, will Linux work for me? I hace wiNdows 95 and
hace lernt it reel good by now.Can I lernt Linux also too?
ZW

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft and McCartheism
Date: 30 Apr 2001 16:07:13 -0500

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:23:25 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Brent R wrote:

>> > Please moron, spell 'site' correctly.
>> >
>> > -----.
>> >
>> > --
>> > "Great babylon has fallen, fallen, fallen;
>> > Jerusalem has fallen, fallen, fallen!
>> > The great, Great Beast is DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!"
>>
>> Have you been taking USENET lessons from Kulkis?
>>
>> One of the first signs of an angry 30-something living in his mom's
>> basement
>

>I moved out of the house at age 17.

Court order

>I have been a productive citizen since the age of 10

paper route

>I owned oil company stock at the age of 12 (purchased with paper route money)

"love" oil

>I've been in combat...have you?

Internal conflict: ID vs. SuperEgo

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:30:39 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Brent R wrote:

> > > Please moron, spell 'site' correctly.
> > >
> > > -----.
> > >
> > > --
> > > "Great babylon has fallen, fallen, fallen;
> > > Jerusalem has fallen, fallen, fallen!
> > > The great, Great Beast is DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!"
> >
> > Have you been taking USENET lessons from Kulkis?
> >
> > One of the first signs of an angry 30-something living in his mom's
> > basement
>
> I moved out of the house at age 17.
> I have been a productive citizen since the age of 10
> I owned oil company stock at the age of 12 (purchased with paper route money)
> I've been in combat...have you?

You forgot the most important one: "I tell an inordinate amount of lies on USENET."

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:38:37 +0100

> On the other hand, Windows 98 Supremely Su ks. But it's great for games
> and watching movies and listening to MP3s.

I wouldn' say it was great for games: it just happens to run the games I
like. I hate it when the OS cashes half way through a game.

-ed

--
You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.

u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux has one chance left.........
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:38:13 GMT

and it is a slim chance at that.

The tide is changing rapidly and Linux had better get it's act
together quickly or it runs the risk of being a has been real fast.

While Win2k was very slow out of the starting gate, support and
interest in this OS has been building steadily for the past year or so
and in anticipation of XP people are now taking a second look at
Win2k.

In the DAW world the WDM drivers have reduced the Sound Card latency
to 2ms or less which allows real time input monitoring including
effects etc.

Linux has NOTHING in this world.

I have a Midiman Delta 1010 and while I can PAY OSS for a driver, that
is half ass and doesn't exploit the full capabilities of the card, why
should I?

I can get the Windows/Mac driver for FREE and they work perfectly.

In fact in the area of multimedia, Linux has absolutely ZERO to offer.

A collection of a gazillion programs that are disjointed and have no
inter operability between themselves is of no appeal to users no
matter how low the price.

For better or worse, people are interested in gadgetry and flash and
Lines offers headaches as an alternative.

Linux has one last gasp left and that is to attack the MS .net
marketing campaign.

This is really a bone in the throat of almost everyone who believes in
freedom of speech and anonymity.

This is where Linux should concentrate it efforts, but sadly the
people in charge are just too stupid to see the light.
I'll bet we have 3 new compilers for Linux by years end. And who
really cares?
Nobody, because nobody will be using the applications if in fact there
are any.

Flatfish

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:41:52 +0100

>>>Linux/Aix/*nix on the desktop.
         ^^^

>>>Flatfish

> Linux. Not to AIX and not to OS/2.
                ^^^

> The standard corporate platform is Windows, not Linux, not Unix, not
> Aix.
  ^^^

Hey everybody! Guess what flatty's newest discovery is :-)

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:46:07 +0100

>> Lyx beats Word ANY day of the week.  Granted, I'm biased, having done a
>> maths degree.  Ever tried putting equations/obscure mathematical
>> symbols into Word?
>
> Ever tried writing a simple letter with Lyx. It's far easier with Word.

Never really used LyX, but I suppose this is close: I have written a
simple letter in LaTeX (+vim --- it *has* to be vim). Hell, it's a damn
sight easier to use than Word once you're used to it.

In fact I've just completed a 23 page document for my degree using LaTeX,
wih plenty of embedded pictures, tables, lists and equations. I shudder
to think how well it would have worked under Word.

-Ed

From: "rifleman1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
us.military.army,alt.destroy.microsoft,soc.singles,soc.ment,alt.military.folklore,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: Bill Hudson admits that he, Dave Casey, V-man and Redc1c4 are liars.
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:40:26 +0100

> > So your clearly erroneous claim that the C-130 is a strategic platform
> > is now joined by your contention that tanks are construction vehicles?

Define this please, Is the ground support version not a strat platform , I
call a bird loaded with miniguns , greade launchers and chain guns quite
aowerful asset ( called pufff the magic dragon I think)

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:49:20 +0100

> I agree that LaTeX may not be the right tool for an office environment,
> but LyX definitely is. A half-competent sysadmin with an old LaTeX guide
> can set up a house style in one monday morning. The beauty is that a LyX
> house style _will_ be used by the drones (they simply have no other
> choice
> - and if one of them does find out: Fire the old sysadmin and replace
> him
> with the smarter drone).

I believe you can embed plain TeX/LaTeX in to a LyX document. There is
nothing to stop an idiot doing something like

\parsep \-5ex

at the beginning of the document :-)

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates confuse me - d'oh!
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:53:34 +0100

> KDE took some ideas from the Windows and Mac GUIs,

That only? You haven't used CDE then. Bears a passing resemblance to KDE.

-Ed

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:13:03 +0100

> >>    "While stopping just short of claiming that anyone buying
> >>    a PC without an OS is a de facto criminal, MS obviously
> >>    reckons that doing so would be outré enough to qualify
> >>    one for suspicion, or referral to a shrink. After all,
> >>    no sane person is going to muck up a perfectly good new box
> >>    with BeOS or Linux or something freaky like that. Right? ®"

This is not exactly new news anyway - slashdot reported the same thing a
few months ago and also had a mirror of a page which MS had on their site
for a short while which stated users who buy PC's with no OS are likely to
be pirates. Perhaps someone here can remember the URL?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Does Linux support "Burn-Proof" CDRW's
Date: 30 Apr 2001 21:59:22 GMT

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:52:32 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It IS DirectX NOT Active X...
>
> A Direct-X plugin, Sound Forge's Noise Reduction for example, will
> show up as a plugin in any other Application, Sonar for example, that
> uses Direct-X, and they all do.
Alittleintegration of the signal, and
"Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
Simon777,Claire,Flatfish+++,Flatfish"

thinks its something special. Ignorance *is* a virtueif your a Wintroll.

> It really doesn't matter because Linux has NOTHING that even comes
> close to even the most rudimentary filter/plugin whatever.
Another bad guess Wintroll..
Linuxapps have had plugins for ages. What kind would you like...
Perl, Python..?

> Linux is a toy in the multimedia world.
It hasbeen shown tha Linux burns CD's easily and without buffer
underuns or BSOD's.
Whose playing with an expensive white goods toy?

> Sorry, but you guys trip over yourselves once again.
You're not sorry, and we didnt trip, oh anonymous Wintroll.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 00:01:38 +0100

> Unfortunately, the answer is no for a good number of so-called tech
> people. Particularly where a non-Windows platform is concerned.
> Mandrake, as far as distros go, is generally pretty good at setting sane
> defaults. The ULIMIT issue is a case where they've failed to do this.

For the people to whom it most concerns, they should know how to set a
ULIMIT.

If you're a server admin, you should know how to do it and could probably
select a better value than a distro's default.

If you're hacking around with unistd.h and fork() you're probably
competent enough to set a ULIMIT.

Otherwise, you're not likely to encounter a situation where the ULIMIT
really gets used.

> And, unfortunately, the younger "admins" and "experts" among us were
> weaned on a platform that makes most in-depth decisions for them and are
> prone to making major mistakes when setting up an OS that doesn't hold
> their hand. Distro makers do need to take that into account and set
> conservative defaults. They do need to avoid going as far as Windows did
> in that area, though.

> Please pardon the earlier rhetoric, but, I do not take kindly to having
> the epitath "MS-Freak" hurled in my direction simply because I find
> fault with a Linux distribution. Particularly after having a bad day
> programming for that cursed platform.

I didn't brand you an MS-Freak, I simply thought some of the comments
were ill thought out.

-Ed

From: Rex Ballard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:01:26 GMT

==============6E97FD52515F2418D8C9D335

Brent R wrote:
> =

> Chad Everett wrote:
> >
> > If you're not un-American, then you have nothing to hide.
> >
> > Microsoft wants you to name names:
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18589.html

Note that their tag-line is "Biting the hand that feeds IT".

> >    "While stopping just short of claiming that anyone buying
> >    a PC without an OS is a de facto criminal, MS obviously
> >    reckons that doing so would be outr=E9 enough to qualify
> >    one for suspicion, or referral to a shrink. After all,
> >    no sane person is going to muck up a perfectly good new box
> >    with BeOS or Linux or something freaky like that. Right? =AE"
> =

> I'm getting a little sick of people posting anti-MS stories from the
> frigging Register. Everyone knows it's a biased site so it's usually
> irrelevant what they have to say. I personally don't pay attention to
> them.

The register is one of the few sources that publishes the news that
Microsoft will kill in other publications by threatening to pull
advertising
dollars.  Keep in mind that only a few weeks ago, Microsoft tried to
silence
an independent lab that found that SQL Server 7 ran faster on NT than
on Win2K.
(This shouldn't be a surprise, SQL-7 isn't optimized for Win2K and
Win2K has
a bit of "bloat" which is offset by MTS and MSMQ).  Microsoft
threatened
to sue.

The lab pulled the results, but then went to the media to let them
know
about the "cover-up".  Eventually, other media pundits were pressured
not cover the story.  In this case, it back-fired and it made the
cover
of Info-World.

> Please people, post from a sight other than the Register every once in =
> while.

Keep in mind that most of the Register stories are actually summaries
of
other stories.  In many cases, they are simply Microsoft announcements
with a different editorial viewpoint.

When most other publishers refused to print the Halloween papers, the
broke the story.

Microsoft spends $billion buying editorial departments.  Most
publications
would shut down completely if it weren't for Microsoft money. =

McGraw-Hill
was forced to sell off Byte magazine to CMP, who took it out of
print.  Because
the Byte magazine charter since 1977 was to cover ALL innovations, not
just
the one's Microsoft wanted blessed.  This included new versions of
Linux, Solaris,
and Novell's UNIX.  All of these threatened Windows 95 release and
Windows NT 3.51
and were therefore targeted.  Any publication printing favorable
articles about
UNIX were punished.  Some were literally driven into Bankruptcy.

If Gates were a political leader who demanded that all press giving
favorable
coverage to the opposing party be shut down, he would be put in the
same category
as Hitler, Stalin, and Mao Tse Tung.  Instead, because he is a
corporate leader,
he is treated like an international hero for eliminating the
"confusion" of competition.

If you don't mind, I'd like the right to make an informed choice of my
own.

> --
> - Brent
> =

> http://rotten168.home.att.net

-- =

Rex Ballard
It Architect
http://www.open4success.com
==============6E97FD52515F2418D8C9D335

begin:vcard
n:Ballard;Rex
tel;cell:908-723-4008
tel;work:973-723-4008
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:Rex Ballard
end:vcard

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 00:05:10 +0100

>> > how's that working out for you?
>>
>> Well, I haven't tried to make many people more tolerant, because the
>> people I am friends with have enough of a moral sense to realise that
>> blind prejudice is wrong.
>

> Evaluating people on their behavior is NOT prejudice...it is postjudice
>
> Prejudice = PRE judge.
>
> Evaluation of someone's behavior, by definition, can NOT be prejudice.
>
> Hope that helps.

Some people here seem to have the conception that all homosexuals are
immoral and are out to pervert the childern. That is prejudice.

Hope that helps.

-Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:05:12 GMT