Linux-Advocacy Digest #83, Volume #34             Tue, 1 May 01 05:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Winvocates confuse me - d'oh! ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: IE ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Microsoft and McCartheism (GreyCloud)
  Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts (Terry Porter)
  Feminism ==> subjugation of males ("jet")
  Re: Bill Hudson admits that he, Dave Casey, V-man and Redc1c4 are liars. (Gunner ©)
  Re: Microsoft and McCartheism (GreyCloud)
  Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000? (Joerg Schilling)
  Re: Mouse wheel ("J-Pip")
  Re: OEM Windows licenses not transferable to charities (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: Wintrol Song (a great laugh) (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1 ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Help: Bought out by MS geeks... (GreyCloud)
  Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000? (Chris Croughton)
  Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000? (Chris Croughton)
  Re: OEM Windows licenses not transferable to charities ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Microsoft and McCartheism ("Ayende Rahien")

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 10:05:17 +0100

> I've been using AIX for years.....

hahaha! LOL!

-Ed

--
You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.

u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 10:07:39 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
>>
>> > I agree that LaTeX may not be the right tool for an office
>> > environment, but LyX definitely is. A half-competent sysadmin with an
>> > old LaTeX guide can set up a house style in one monday morning. The
>> > beauty is that a LyX house style _will_ be used by the drones (they
>> > simply have no other choice
>> > - and if one of them does find out: Fire the old sysadmin and replace
>> > him with the smarter drone).
>>
>> I believe you can embed plain TeX/LaTeX in to a LyX document. There is
>> nothing to stop an idiot doing something like
>>
>> \parsep \-5ex
>>
>> at the beginning of the document :-)
>>
>> -Ed
> Why would an idiot think to type that?

One problem with making something fool proof is that one often
underestimated the ingenuity of complete fools.

(Paraphrased from The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy)

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates confuse me - d'oh!
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 10:10:31 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
>>
>> > KDE took some ideas from the Windows and Mac GUIs,
>>
>> That only? You haven't used CDE then. Bears a passing resemblance to
>> KDE.
>>

> Actually, I believe CDE was the conceptual "starting point" for KDE.

Yes it was. That is reflected in the name which is a bad joke.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 10:12:36 +0100

Threads move on. I was talking in a current part of it.

> (I'm paraphrasing) "why be concerned about what people do in their
> private lives".  That's not what I worry about.  I am concerned about
> the homosexual political lobby that wants to eliminate freedom of speech
> and freedom of religion.  Of course, it's typical that anyone voicing
> criticism of the homosexual political lobby in America will get labeled
> as bigoted.  It's one of the techiques that the  homosexual lobby in
> America uses to try and silence its critics.

I have a deep distrust of most political lobbies.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: IE
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 10:15:34 +0100

> Said Edward Rosten in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:38:12
>     [...]
>>Yes. However, there are quite a lot of them and NN allows you to choose
>>about options for 5 different things. I would personally like more
>>control over how a `default' page is displayed.
>
> For that to happen, we'd need a lot more standardization concerning what
> constitute "a page".

Well, many of the pages I read are generated by utilities such as
LaTeX2HTML or Texi2HTML. These use very standard tags with no fancy
stuff. It would be nice to customize them so they all loked nice.
-Ed

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft and McCartheism
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 01:20:04 -0700

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Richard Thrippleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dave Martel wrote:
> > <snip>
> > >The register's so much fun though! Those guys write more in the
> > >flaming spirit of Usenet.
> > >
> > >Whatever slant anyone puts on this story, there's still that
> > >not-so-hidden threat that current MS customers who buy empty systems
> > >so they can load them up with linux are risking the disruption and
> > >possible expense of an MS audit of their Windows systems.
> > >
> > Maybe I'm being a bit naive/ignorant here, but how do MS have the
> > right to inspect anybody's PC just because they bought it without Windows??
> > I was under the impression that only the police could obtain forced search
> > rights.....
>
> Typicall Linvocate/Register blow-out-of-proportionism
>
> Microsoft is targeting large corporations with this. If you read
> the Register article (or news regurgitation) you'll see that it
> is targeted towards corporations buying many computers at once.
>
> Since Windows is the number one desktop, a company ordering 400
> PCs without an OS is most likely going to install one copy of
> Windows on those 400 PCs which I'm sure you all would agree isn't
> legal by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> -c

That would only be an assumption of the 400 PCs tho.  What if they had
bought Linux or Solaris?  Better yet, what if they bought nothing but
parts and pieced together those 400 PCs?  How would they know they even
had the PCs?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 01 May 2001 08:19:54 GMT

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:49:07 -0700,
 Paolo Ciambotti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [garbage snipped]
>> GoodBye Linux....
>>
>> Flatfish
>
> Goodbye Flatfish.  Click on "subscribed newsgroups", then click on
> "comp.os.linux.advocacy", then click on "unsubscribe".  Don't go away mad,
> just go away.
>
> You've become a laughingstock even among the Windows advocates.  If you
> really want to further the cause of Microsoft, then you need to quit
> posting here, and let others who are more informed take up the cause.
> You're a detriment, a deficit, a liability to Microsoft. I sure hope they
> aren't paying you, because if they are, they're throwing away money with
> no hope of seeing any return on the investment.

Hahahahahaha LOL ....

WHO is this Paolo Ciambotti ????

Please post more often on COLA Mr Ciambotti, your sense of humour rocks!!

(Terry, who remembers the halycon days of COLA, pre Wintrolls)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 01:30:49 -0700

Kelsey Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:QTeH6.1403$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9cc9a7$742q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > You've got MALE.. sex organs! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Again, it is a mystery as to why you'd be so fearful of the little
> > > girlies, with all that arsenal..
> > >

> > I know!

> > Maybe he's worried they have bio weapons.
>

> AHA!  So *that's* what "cooties" are... :)

LOL!

From: Gunner © <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.military.folklore,misc.survivalism
Subject: Re: Bill Hudson admits that he, Dave Casey, V-man and Redc1c4 are liars.
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 01:22:05 -0700

On Tue, 01 May 2001 00:55:33 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >No.  I'm just noting that MANY articles of military equipment are used
>> >for FAR more types of work than what they were originally designed,
>> >purchased, and even their crews originally trained for.
>>
>> No, you're squirming.
>
>Are you seriously claiming that the F-111 is not a bomber and electronic
>warfare platform?

Or condoms make good muzzle covers?

<G>
--
"Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 01:27:40 -0700

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > Personally, if I owned a business, and the BSA showed up to inspect
> > *my* equipment, then I would have ARMED security personnel detain
> > them until the police arrive to have them booked for tresspassing.
>
> Don't you have illegal detainment laws in your country? I don't think
> anyone would consider someone walking up the drive and knocking on the
> front door reasonable grounds for trespass.
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
>
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

Actually, if you post signs every so many feet (?) saying "NO
TRESPASSING" then you can detain them.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joerg Schilling)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000?
Date: 1 May 2001 08:33:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rich Teer  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>UNIX does have GUI email clients too, ya know.  Probably got there before
>Windoze, too.

I know Sun's mailtool (GUI) since 1985, so it _was_ there in 1984!

What did M$ this thime ?

      [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]            (work) chars I am J"org Schilling

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 16:32:21 +0800
From: "J-Pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mouse wheel

In article <9ckra8$57o0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I got a quick question, Is there a way to enable the mouse wheel to
> scroll the windows in KDE 2 or linux in general?  I'm using a standard
> PS/2 mouse with a scrolling wheel and I really want to use it in linux.
> I got SuSe 7.1, if that's important to determine if the wheel will work
> or not. Thanks.

http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

maybe this will help!

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: OEM Windows licenses not transferable to charities
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 20:43:40 +1200

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> To my knowledge (and my OEM license doesn't say so) MS does NOT void the
> liscense if you give a machine to charity.  Just because someone writes it
> on a web site doesn't mean it's true.
>
> If it's not in the EULA, then it's not in the license.
>
> "Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I was just browsing <http://www.aaxnet.com/topics/slicense.html> and
>> came across this little tidbit:
>>
>> "Note: OEM Windows licenses (the ones that come with a new computer)
>> are not transferable. When you stop using that computer, that Windows
>> license must be retired. You cannot use it with the new computer you
>> just bought, or any other. If you give the computer to a charity,
>> Microsoft requires they remove Windows, making the computer
>> essentially worthless."
>>
>> IMO removing Windows increases a computer's value, but we'll put that
>> aside for now. <g>
>>
>> Also there was this:
>>
>> "If you got your computer with an OEM license, but you "ghost" the
>> hard disk as most larger companies do to achieve consistency, you have
>> to buy a second Windows license for that computer. Installing this
>> second license voids your OEM license so the OEM no longer provides
>> support. You now have to get that from Microsoft at $350 per
>> incident."
>>
>> The bottom of the page has some good links concerning licensing
>> hassles.
>>
>> Here's another good laugh, courtesy of our muck-racking friends at the
>> Register:
>>
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18589.html>
>>
>> "Microsoft may not have succeeded in persuading OEMs and system
>> builders to "decline politely" all perverse requests for PCs lacking a
>> pre-installed (preferably Microsoft) OS, but it's shifted to a new
>> approach. It's now bribing system builders to turn in anyone who bids
>> on naked boxes, ostensibly so it can harass these poor, twisted madmen
>> directly from Beast Central."
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> "The glittering booty on offer is five Microsoft game titles for
>> grassing out a bidder on 250 machines; that plus a Fossil Big Tic
>> watch for 500 machines; and those plus a Fast Cook and Grill Combo and
>> Travel Chair for 1,000 or more."

In the PCPLUS magazine, there was an interesting article on how companies
have bought a suite of computers and found that their old OEM licenses
could not me used on their new computers, as they wanted NT4 on their new
computer configured to the old standard instead of using the pre-installed
Windows 98.

Matthew Gardiner

--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wintrol Song (a great laugh)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 20:50:16 +1200

MH wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9cjo0d$e64rm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> THE OFFICIAL WINTROL SONG (To the melody of "I'm a lumber Jack and I'm OK
>> (Monty Python))
>
> [juvenile cacophonous drivel snipped for the sake of sanity]
>
> As J. Gleason would guffaw:
>
> hardy - har har

Is anal retention a family trait? maybe a good cup of mylanta will sooth
the problems away.

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 08:50:06 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9cknb2$64o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Unfortunately, the answer is no for a good number of so-called tech
> > people. Particularly where a non-Windows platform is concerned.
> > Mandrake, as far as distros go, is generally pretty good at setting sane
> > defaults. The ULIMIT issue is a case where they've failed to do this.
>
> For the people to whom it most concerns, they should know how to set a
> ULIMIT.
>
> If you're a server admin, you should know how to do it and could probably
> select a better value than a distro's default.
>
> If you're hacking around with unistd.h and fork() you're probably
> competent enough to set a ULIMIT.
>
> Otherwise, you're not likely to encounter a situation where the ULIMIT
> really gets used.

Point taken. The problem I have with the whole "Linux on the Desktop" issue
is that part of  its appeal to me, personally, is its' stripped-down and no
nonsense approach. I actually like it the way it is now. Bells and whistles
get old quick. Unfortunately, the majority of users hear about "skinnable
desktops" and "ease of use" then drool all over themselves. To me, the eye
candy does little more than eat processor cycles and RAM. The
point-click-forget configurations are at the expense of  flexability. Linux
has to move in this direction though if it's to stand a chance on the
consumer desktop. I really want Linux to succeed (I love underdogs.
Particularly this one.) but I dread it at the same time because I know the
direction it has to head to do so.

> > Please pardon the earlier rhetoric, but, I do not take kindly to having
> > the epitath "MS-Freak" hurled in my direction simply because I find
> > fault with a Linux distribution. Particularly after having a bad day
> > programming for that cursed platform.
>
> I didn't brand you an MS-Freak, I simply thought some of the comments
> were ill thought out.

I over-reacted. My bad. Project deadlines + IRS + Migrane + Carpal Tunnel +
40 sleepless hours = Seeing red with little provocation.
I'm taking tommorow off, grabbing the fiance, and getting the hell out of
Dodge for a while!

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Bought out by MS geeks...
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 01:50:49 -0700

kool breeze wrote:

> Guys...my company has been bought out by a company dedicated to MS.
>
> My Linux port of our SCO UNIX back-end is dead now.
>
> My poor new company is trying to market the new NT system as the "new"
> system.
>
> They are actually yanking people out of support and putting them in
> sales (more MS dedication).
>
> The old system has been supported by 4 people for 150 customers (1
> UNIX Server and 1 backup - powered off for spare parts). The new
> system requires 6 NT servers + a PDC + DNS + DHCP + BDC .
>
> I have created client software (MFC/Win32) to front our UNIX  backend.
>
> The new system requires 1 support person per 20 clients + 1 local NT
> "expert".
>
> Gosh, I REALY REALLY REALLY wish I was flamebait....but I am not
> kidding one bit.
>
> I am very sad. Many post here with ideas. Not me. I am in the middle
> (now butt-end) of it all.
>
> I am a right-wing bastard. I hate the *reality* of
> socialism/communism. I love Linux.
>
> I swear to  you all, I am not lying. I am majorly in the dog house
> now, being from the "old" system.
>
> I have tried to support linux, but I have been ROYALLY screwed by
> doing so.
>
> I hope you guys win the war. I am 35 and cannot fight the marketing
> guys.

Get your resume in order son.  Bail out of there as if someone farted in
the elevator.
Because its only going to stink more the longer you stay there.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Croughton)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
Date: 1 May 2001 08:54:42 GMT

On Tue, 01 May 2001 03:04:12 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis
   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I tried emacs.  I couldn't afford the productivity setback long enough
>to ever learn it.

I can't afford the resource hit either, I think the thing was designed
to make a Cray run like a Z80 on barbiturates.  It's also been horribly
unstable everywhere I've seen it, not exiting cleanly (I know, emacs
afficionados say you should never close it down).

Personally I use vim instead of 'original' vi, it's got a number of
extensions I like (and is almost universally ported, there are even Mac
versions), but it's close enough that when I use a machine with just vi
I can still cope.

>> > have and NOT share it with anyone - problem is, with a click of a
>> > mouse your Gramma can send an email to her friend - and guess what
>> > - UNIX didn't do it!
>>
>> UNIX does have GUI email clients too, ya know.  Probably got there
>> before Windoze, too.
>
>Mailtool, Sun Microsystems, 1984

IIRC that's before Windoze was even thought of.

Chris C

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 08:56:35 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:YmqH6.21474$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > Yeah these Wintrollslike you need to get a life, and advocate your sad
> > Ms OS, in the relevant groups.
>
> I appologize.  I seem to have a huge mistake by thinking you wanted to
have
> serious discussions.  After reading the last few dozen responses from you,
> realize now that you only want to call people names and insult them, while
> keeping your mind completely closed.

Rational discourse on USENET?
Best you fetch the ruby-red slippers and head for Kansas, Erik...<g>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Croughton)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
Date: 1 May 2001 09:00:16 GMT

On Tue, 01 May 2001 03:08:47 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis
   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>EVERY key-binding in vi has a mnemonic.
>
>i = insert
>d = delete
>w = move forwards a WORD
>b = move backwards a WORD
>
>etc., etc.,
>
>What's so "weird" about that?

Er:

h = move left a character
j = move down a line
k = move up a line
l = move right a character

Not everything is mnemonic...

>Aaron R. Kulkis
>Unix Systems Engineer
>DNRC Minister of all I survey
>ICQ # 3056642

What is all the stuff that follows this?  It's way out of line for a
sig, 49 line sigs are not good netiquette anywhere.

Chris C

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:47:41 +0200

"David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9clpjb$6fe$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Ayende Rahien wrote in message <9cl8cq$203$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >

> >> Anyway, found this interesting tidbit also in the EULA (WIN-98 first
> >> edition). Please excuse the all caps, but that is how it is in the
> >> documentation
> >>
> >> <begin quote>
> >> 8. NOTE ON JAVA SUPPORT.
> >> THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN SUPPORT FOR PROGRAMS WRITTEN IN JAVA.
> >> JAVA TECHNOLOGY IS NOT FAULT TOLERANT AND IS NOT DESIGNED,
> >> MANUFACTURED, OR INTENDED FOR USE OR RESALE AS ON-LINE CONTROL
> >> EQUIPMENT IN HAZARDOUS ENVIRONMENTS REQUIRING FAIL-SAFE PERFORMANCE,
> >> SUCH AS IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR
> >> COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL, DIRECT LIFE SUPPORT
> >> MACHINES, OR WEAPONS SYSTEMS, IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF JAVA TECHNOLOGY
> >> COULD LEAD DIRECTLY TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR
> >> ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.
> >> <end quote>
> >
> >Dude, that is not MS words, that is *SUN*'s.
> >Yeah, that is not MS who spread FUD, it's Sun, spreading FUD about its
own
> >product.
> >

> Why is that "FUD" ?  Sun is used to making hardware, and it is standard
> practice with hardware to make such disclaimers.  If you look at the fine
> print that comes with hardware (certainly for individual parts, such as
> processors - manufacturers of PCs and peripherals are often a bit lax
these
> days), they always come with such disclaimers.  If you want a part that
the
> manufacturer thinks is suitable for life-critical uses, expect to pay
around
> 10 times as much for more solid packaging and vastly more comprehensive
> testing.  Sun is being responsible here in saying that their Java
> technologies have not gone through the equivilent rigourous testing.  MS
> would normally have had to say the same thing, except they use the cop-out
> clause claiming they never said their software was suitable for any
> purposes.

So, when MS says it, it's FUD, even though it's truth.
When Sun says it, it's a disclaimer?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:58:39 +0200

"Isaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 1 May 2001 05:51:57 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Qoutes:
> >

> < quotes snipped >
>
> Man is that stuff funny when it's all collected together like that.
> I note that you addressed the quotes point by point, but I'm not
> sure that was necessary.  You don't need a comedian when the
> straight man is this good.

I'd a similar discussion with him about the usefulness of following MS'
recommendations about storing user info in the registry, as well as several
other things related to this, several months ago.
I'd wrote a program that he claimed was impossible, as well as explain him
(several times) that putting user related stuff in HKLM is not good, he
somehow managed to make every sentence into MS-makes-crapware arguement.
At least this time he is only ignorant, and not biased.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 12:01:29 +0200

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:KZpH6.5884$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3aed7e3e$0$41659$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Most Unixes I've used have been very reliable and stayed up as long as I
> > wanted them to. NT4 post-SP4 has proved reliable so long as you were
> > obsessively careful about installing the right drivers and applications
> > correctly.
>
> One of our in-house application had a way of crashing NT at random up
> until sp6a, so you were just lucky there.
>
> >W2K has proven to me to be bulletproof. I install it, it detects
> > plug'n'play stuff and it works. And works and works. Like it's supposed
> to.
> > I feel that the debate of Windows reliability has ended with W2K.
>
> I agree it is better, and did not have any trouble running web servers
> handling
> only static images for months.  However, now that I am trying to do
dynamic
> pages
> with the xslt function, IIS often crashes in a way that is not fixed with
> the iisreset command and seems to take a reboot to clear.  It actually
> doesn't take the machine down, but I don't know any way short of a
> reboot to fix whatever resource has been consumed.

Have you tried to asp in microsoft.public.* groups?
They are usually better & faster than support, then don't have to deal with
so many idiots.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 12:02:25 +0200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9clqgs$j3q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Personally, if I owned a business, and the BSA showed up to inspect
> > *my* equipment, then I would have ARMED security personnel detain
> > them until the police arrive to have them booked for tresspassing.
>
> Don't you have illegal detainment laws in your country? I don't think
> anyone would consider someone walking up the drive and knocking on the
> front door reasonable grounds for trespass.

There was a case in (Texsas?) when someone tried that, was shoot (and died),
and the shooter walked away.

Come to think about, that is not such a bad idea.