Linux-Advocacy Digest #432, Volume #34           Fri, 11 May 01 19:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux has one chance left......... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux and the War against M$ ("Mikkel Elmholdt")
  Re: SUSE license (was: Linux Users...Why?) ("Mikkel Elmholdt")
  Re: MS server appliance; 7 key benefits over Linux ("Mikkel Elmholdt")
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Linux disgusts me ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux disgusts me ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy  ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: Microsoft's move away from perpetual licensing proves that the closed  source
model doesn't work! ("Mikkel Elmholdt")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:05:36 GMT

On Fri, 11 May 2001 21:48:57 GMT, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> the current high end audio boards prefer to use WDM drivers instead of
>> MME types and Win98se is less than stable with the WDM drivers. Some
>> work, some don't but the bottom line is manufacturers are writing for
>> Win2k and XP.
>
>What!?! I develop WDM audio drivers! How are they unstable!

With the current crop of high end audio cards (Midiman for example)
the WDM's work great under Win2k but have proven less than stellar
under Win98SE/ME.

>Besides, the Great Shaitan, I mean Microsoft, has decreed that all new
>device drivers shall be WDM, and no VXD one's shall pass GO and collect
>£200. Since all OEMs want they're stuff to pass WHQL, that means the rest
>of the industry has to follow suit.

I know.
>Mind you WDM does offer things you can't do with VXD audio - like mixing of
>multiple application output (VXD ones typically report the device is busy).

I know.
Low latency is the big advantage for me.
>WDM also means one binary exists for Win9x and Win2K. A grand idea!

Sort of....

It seems that the card manufaturers are passing on the Win98SE
versions and telling us to use the Win2k version. Understand it has to
be Win98SE/ME, standard Win98 won't work.

The drivers are stable under Win2k but so-so under Win98SE/ME.

Flatfish

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux has one chance left.........
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:05:36 GMT

On Fri, 11 May 2001 21:32:50 GMT, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>So, why didn't you point this out before. What took you so long? Did you
>believe you were talking to a Windows fanatic who would refuse to accept
>anything bad about Windows?

Because he had to wait for you or I to make the point so he could
"borrow" it.

He knows nothing.....

flatfish

------------------------------

From: "Mikkel Elmholdt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and the War against M$
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 00:14:55 +0200

"Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/9509.html

Not a completely good and well-balanced article (a bit rosy and optimistic
about future Linux development), although with some good points. Especially
the bit about XP and "Microsoft is trying to let the average home user, who
usually bootlegs the software, pay the full price for its software."

That one hurts .... and makes me wonder whether my next Windows upgrade will
be to KDE?

Mikkel

------------------------------

From: "Mikkel Elmholdt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SUSE license (was: Linux Users...Why?)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 00:17:31 +0200

"Rob S. Wolfram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Also, I can freely copy and distribute the Slackware CD's to all the
> >people I'm helping to get into linux. You can't do that with SuSE
> >(read the license).
>
> It's been a while since I last read the YaST license, but IMO you are
> incorrect. It is allowed to give away copies of your SUSE (in fact YaST)
> distribution, but not to sell it.
> Still, I dislike SUSEs policy for using such a limited license for the
> main tool of their distribution, while OTOH riding the Linx bandwagon.
>
> Politics is quite an important argument why I use Debian...

<snip>

How is politics going to pay the salaries of all the good and qualified
developers working full time for SuSE?

Mikkel

------------------------------

From: "Mikkel Elmholdt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS server appliance; 7 key benefits over Linux
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 00:22:21 +0200

"Ray Chason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [quoting Microsoft FUD®]
>
> >"It is important to note that the vast majority of the anti-virus
software
> >available is Windows based, and therefore ready to run on Windows 2000
> >server appliances.  Linux-based NAS appliances simply do not have the
vast
> >base of robust and powerful anti-virus software that would be available
> >with a Windows 2000 server appliance."
>
> Geez, and how many Linux viruses are there, and how many Windoze
> viruses?  This is shameless even for Microsoft.

I think the correct term is "making a virtue out of a necessity".

Mikkel

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:22:54 GMT

"Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3afb334d$0$78413$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > So don't buy licensed software who's terms you don't agree with.
Simple.

> > That would be a reasonable statement in a legally competitive
> > environment where the user would have a choice about the
> > matter.   We all know that doesn't exist.
>
> Unless you live in an alternate reality from the one the rest of us live
> in - you have more than a few choices.
>
> Use Linux if you don't like the licensing deals other software offer. Then
> again even Linux has the GPL but apparentely communism is prefered over
> capitalism with that bunch...

As far as the OS itself goes, we could all get along fine with Linux or
the less-restricted freebsd.   However,  for this to work all the major
applications vendors would have to treat the platforms equally, including
the one(s) illegally intimate with MS-Windows.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:22:54 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9dgl7a$mp5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >  If so, there are still other ways this can be executed.  And
> > new versions of DLLs replaced by software installations can still cause
> > system degradation, even if the program isn't executed, because of
> > changes to existing program functions.  Programs can also automate a
> > launch in other ways, though.
>
> I've not encounter a DLL Hell problem in about three years, maybe more.

Once you learn what causes them and stop doing it, you won't have
them any more.   That doesn't mean the underlying problem is fixed.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:22:54 GMT

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Is your memory that poor?   People really did use computers for useful
> > things earlier than last year.   I was running a unix system driving
about
> > 40 serial lines in the mid 80's with  an 80 gig hard drive, 2 gigs of
RAM
> > and a CPU with about the power of a '286.   It didn't draw any pretty
> > pictures on the screen but it got a lot of work done and ran for years
with
> > next to no attention.
> >

> In the mid 80's there were no such thing as 80Gig hard drives.

This wasn't a consumer PC.   It could have been several smaller
drives, though.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:22:55 GMT

> >> Why?  If I am presuming correctly that you mean this "claiming you own
> >> code that calls your library" is supposed to reference the GPL (which
> >> does no such thing), until it is tried in court, there's no reason to
> >> presume it isn't perfectly legal.
> >
> >Right, the GPL does not say any such thing.  It says you have the right
> >to use the covered code any way you want.
>
> Yea; as long as you agree to the contract.

Or if you don't.  If you are allowed to obtain a file without having to
agree to any contract then it is like a shrink-wrap license which have
generally been considered invalid.   Copyright itself allows fair
use of your own copy of something once you have it.   Regardles,
even if you agree to the GPL it only restricts redistribution.

> >However, in the RIPEM
> >case and others, the FSF has made the claim that they own or control
> >code written by others that does not contain or copy any GPL'd work,
> >simply because it calls their interface.
>
> No, they claimed that the person who owned and controlled code based on
> GPL libraries were infringing on software THEY didn't own, by using GPL
> code without agreeing to the GPL license.

Except that 'based on' in this case means based on executing the end
users copy of the library that they have the right to use.   It does not
mean that there is any material covered by copyright law is being
distributed which whould be necessary to suppport their claim.

> Call it predatory if you want, but don't call it contrary to copyright
> law unless you can prove that it is.

They (and you) haven't proved their claim.   Hold them to the
same standard.

> Do YOU know any way to write
> software that uses a library without using the library?  (Aside from the
> legally non-existent concept of an API, of course, an separate argument
> I am even now pursuing.  Feel free to pile on, but please don't beg the
> question.)

Copyright covers distribution, not using.   As many others have pointed
out with examples, you can write programs without ever having access
to the library in question yourself.   To violate copyright you must have
had access to the thing you are accused of copying.

> All the FSF claimed was that the code must be distributed under the GPL;
> they did not dispute anything else about how the authors controlled it.

Yes, that is a claim only the owner can make, so they are claiming
ownship and control.

> This was, to them, a legally defensible claim, because they wrote RIPEM,
> called the whole thing a lark, and probably forgot all about it.  Still,
> the message was clear: if you use GPL software in development, you have
> to agree to the GPL.

The message is even clearer that availability of free software is not
their first priority.

> If you're going to claim it is otherwise, I'm going to claim that I can
> break every software license agreement I engage in.

Agreeing to the GPL would restrict the ways you can distribute
software covered by the GPL.  The RIPEM code did not contain
any GPLd code.   How does this relate to breaking any agreement?

> To be perfectly honest, I don't care which way we go, as long as we're
> consistent.

There is nothing consistent about claiming ownership of someone
else's work.

> >The GPL gives you the right to copy
> >and use GPL covered works, and its restrictions only involve subsequent
> >distribution.  Someone who is not distributing the GPL'd work itself
should
> >never be affected by its restrictions.
>
> I agree; end-user license agreements on software are bullshit.  We'll
> put down our gun when Microsoft puts down theirs.  I think that says it
> all.

By restricting the way software can be combined to compete with
Microsoft, the GPL has already shot your feet off.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:22:55 GMT

"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >>GreyCloud, I hate to contradict you, but there were.
> >>I had one, and they were horribly expensive.
> >>
> >>Peter
> >>

> > If you "had one", the please tell us how much did they cost and
> > who made them?
> >

> Sorry, did not read correctly.
> I read 80Meg, where 80Gig is written.
> At that time even the mainframes did not have 80gig drives.
>
> Peter

Oops - I typed 80Gig when I meant 80Meg.    Seemed natural - I guess
times really have changed now that this is a couple of hundred dollars
worth of disk space and that 80Megs cost many thousands.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux disgusts me
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:25:41 GMT

On Fri, 11 May 2001 10:57:46 +0000, "Gary Hallock"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Ok, please explain how to enable 100-dpi fonts and anti-aliasing on
>Redhat 7.1 and explain why you think it is a PITA.
>
>Gary

I don't use RedHat 7.1 and I suspect you are trying to trick me
because some idiot finally came up with an icon that does it all, but
if that is not the case, this should get you going.....

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/x-4x.html#AEN490

As for why it is a PITA, I think that link is quite self explanatory.

And BTW if you choose to use Gnome the antialiasing doesn't work as of
V1.4 I believe.

Why anyone should have to edit files by hand to change the font dpi is
beyond me...

flatfish

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:26:46 GMT

On Fri, 11 May 2001 21:16:59 GMT, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Ahah a connection at last. If it is so easy to deugly fonts why don't
>distros do it?

Here's a good reason:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/x-4x.html#AEN490

Point is that it is NOT easy.....

flatfish

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:28:15 -0400

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On 9 May 2001 00:54:05 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Perhaps this is because you would open NOTEPAD and not run edit.com -
> DOH!
> >
> > Not in a telnet session I can't.
> >

> > > WHY on earth would you penalize yourself with some crappy text based
> > > interface when a beautiful set of antialiased fonts of any size you can
> > > imagine are right there on your desktop?
> >
> > Maybe because I'm using the new telnet server that MS provided with
> > their new OS.  Or does it not understand window resizing either?
> >

> Perhaps when you graduate from the hell that telnet is - I mean, how
> limiting! - into the year 2000 and beyond you'll realize how silly your
> hanging on to the past is. I mean, all this worship of telnet and the
> command line. You sound like an Amish person swearing off technology! I
> can't remember the last time I needed the command line or even felt the urge
> to time travel into days of old...

Yes...telnet is sooooooooo limiting that it's been the mainstay
of remote usage for 20 years.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Mikkel Elmholdt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft's move away from perpetual licensing proves that the closed
source model doesn't work!
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 00:28:59 +0200

"jtnews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Microsoft's move away from perpetual
> licensing proves that the closed
> source model doesn't work!
>
> Read this article on CNET!
>
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5851009.html?tag=lh

<snip>

This does not prove a thing about anything. Licencing models has also been
aired by Open Source companies like Eazel and Red Hat.

Mikkel

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:29:10 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Yes, and we should burn all the silly books too!
> >
> > sure, save trees and create less polution. Use e-books instead.
> >
> > > Television is much
> > > more 'year 2000'.
> >
> > um - huh?
> >
> > > I mean, all this worship of written language and
> > > type makes you sound like an Amish person swearing off technology!
> >
> > truely! telepathy would be much better. but we don't have that yet so we'll
> > use what is the best for what we have currently. we COULD go back to
> > grunting and banging sticks given your propensity for adoration of things
> > old and obsolete.

> > > can't remember the last time I needed a book or even felt the urge to
> > > time travel into days of old...
> >
> > Me neither. I read on-line like PDF or .HLP/.CHM files, don't have to worry
> > carrying hundreds of pounds of paper around to drop, damage, lose, waste
> > effort on - I just look up what I need when I need it - electronically.
> >
> > Show me a time travel machine and I'll feel the urge, I guarentee it.
> >
> > your sarcasm has failed... try updating yourself.
>
> I nominate Jan Johansen the Darwin Award of the Year!
> Any Seconds???!!!!

Aye!

I second the nomination!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:29:32 -0400

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
>
> > Jan Johanson wrote:
> >>
> >> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> sure, save trees and create less polution. Use e-books instead.

> >> um - huh?

> >> truely! telepathy would be much better. but we don't have that yet so
> >> we'll use what is the best for what we have currently. we COULD go back
> >> to grunting and banging sticks given your propensity for adoration of
> >> things old and obsolete.

> >> Me neither. I read on-line like PDF or .HLP/.CHM files, don't have to
> >> worry carrying hundreds of pounds of paper around to drop, damage,
> >> lose, waste effort on - I just look up what I need when I need it -
> >> electronically.
> >>
> >> Show me a time travel machine and I'll feel the urge, I guarentee it.
> >>
> >> your sarcasm has failed... try updating yourself.
> >

> > I nominate Jan Johansen the Darwin Award of the Year!
> > Any Seconds???!!!!
> >
> Yep, seconded.
> Sometimes nature does the darnedes things, like cows with 2 heads,
> Jan Johanson´s, Chad Myers.
> I wonder what these are good for?

target practice.

> Peter
>
> --
> Linux is like a Wig-Wam: No Gates, No Windows, Apache inside

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.