Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 15:11:19 -0500
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (26/107)

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 17:12:37 -0400

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [snip]
> > >
> > >You are very sure of that.
> >
> > Indeed, he is, because it is reasonable.
>
> I dunno. Seems like he's insulting the
> intelligence of, well, practically everyone.

They buy what "everyone else" has. Thats the whole point of
monopolizaiont, you know. To make sure you are THE vendor.

> >  It is mistaken; people by
> > Windows machines because they are PCs, which are still cheaper than any
> > proprietary personal computer, by definition.
>
> By "definition"?
>
> I'm a glutton for punishment. Give me this
> definition of yours.
>
> > > But I don't believe it;
> > >I think the conventional wisdom still applies:
> > >it's the apps users care about.
> >
> > No, if they were buying apps, they'd be buying 'apps', not a computer.
>
> They *are* buying apps. In cardboard boxes, even.
>
> Doesn't do them any good unless they have a computer
> than can run them though.
>
> So they buy that too.
>
> Nobody buys Windows to play Solitare, you know.

I given my students a choice between cards and a computer to play
solitaire. None of them has taken the cards.

> > It is the computer the consumer cares about, and the commodity-level
> > cheapest platform they want to buy.  And MS illegally monopolizes the OS
> > for them.  Get it?
>
> I know what you are saying; but you are mistaken. You've
> put the cart before the horse.

Intel/clone based computers are percieved as the cheapest computers. m$
has illegally monopolized the OS market. You still dont get it.

> [snip]
> > >Well, I'm a wintroll. But the users buying
> > >Windows computers are being completely
> > >rational.
> >
> > As are 'wintrolls'.  Most realize they shouldn't admit to it, since it
> > is a label for people who are dishonest, and nobody would voluntarily
> > accept it.
>
> Apparently I do not realize I should not admit it, since
> I just called myself a Wintroll.

And. therefore, you support one of the moet immoral and unethical
companies in existance.

> I don't see that Wintrolls must be dishonest to
> ply their trade. Annoying, yeah, but that's something
> else. :D
>
> >  But, even still, users buying Windows computers are
> > completely rational, and that is why monopolization is illegal, since
> > Windows is *obviously* not the most efficient OS in the world.
>
> It is the *best* OS for the desktop.

No, its not.

> Efficiency just
> isn't that important in a world where Moore's law
> continues to apply.

.. so window$ just got moved to "good enough" status, again?

> It's the developer toolset that
> counts.

That is just so much bullshit. Developers write for whatever market they
can make money in. On the desktop, thats pretty much m$, because m$
stole the market. If XYZ OS held 90-95% of the market, and m$ helpd
3-5%, developers would drop m$ and flock to XYZ.

> [snip]
> > >
> > >Developers don't need to care much about
> > >that.
> >
> > But you do. Why is that?
>
> I'm a Wintroll.  :D

Yeah, we know. BTW, thats an insult. Yo can stop grinning now.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 21:18:57 GMT

"Michael Marion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Quantum Leaper wrote:
>
> > Amazon didn't turn a profit last year,  because they expanded into
Europe
> > and other places,  also expanding past their core businesses,  DVDs,
Tapes,
> > CDs and Books hurt Amazon quite abit.  I know Amazon and others ship
around
> > the world,   I have ordered from Amazon.uk in the past.   The problems
is
> > DVDs and Video don't work world wide,  unless your DVD player is mod'ed
or
> > Video tapes don't paly unless your TV can play NTSC and/or Pal,  CDs and
> > Books they will ship world wide.
>
> Just as a side note since you mentioned amazon and their business:
> I think their service has gone down the toilet big time over the last
year.
> Just recently I ordered 3 books that were all listed as "Usually ships in
2-3
> days."  After a week (!) they finally sent a mail saying 2 books were hard
> find and that they needed to know if I wanted to wait for them (I'd chosen
> ship all 3 together).  I cancelled the order, went to barnsandnoble.com,
> ordered the same 3 books, and had them in 2 days.  Now _that's_ service!

I could give you horror stories with just about any online retailer.  The
worst was when I ordered CD-Rom drive and they shipped two, and I shipped
one back and they refused to pay me.  Visa finally got around to paying of
the duplicate.

> The books totalled about $3 more at bn.com, but I'll take actually getting
> what I want over a few $ anyday. :)

If I'm buying books,  I just go out to Barne and Noble or one of the other
local books stores.  I tend to order DVD online the most,  since local
selection stinks.

> I've had issues with almost every order I've placed at amazon too, whether
> it's delays in getting items, or splitting an order into multiple boxes,
> shipping over multiple days, and charging me... when I said to wait for
all
> the items... they do something wrong every time.

I have them spilt orders before and they never charge extra,  and if they
did,  I would email them,  and they would fix it.  I have had one problem
with Amazon over the years,  it was the wrong item and they shipped the
correct one and paid for the other to be shipped back.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 21:25:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> 'Nuf said.

Yawn. Wake me when you have something useful to contribute. Otherwise...
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux disgusts me
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 21:26:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> According to who?  You?  Guffaw.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: "Rich Soyack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 21:32:18 GMT

"Ray Fischer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9e406f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Rich Soyack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Well, it seems that the United States Centers for Disease Control
> >> believes otherwise.
> >>
> >> But what do they know?  The all-knowing homophobe Kulkis says
> >> otherwise.
> >>
> >> http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/faq/faq21.htm
> >>
> >>     Can I get HIV from having vaginal sex?
> >>
> >>     Yes, it is possible to become infected with HIV through vaginal
> >>     intercourse. In fact, it is the most common way the virus is
> >>     transmitted in much of the world.  HIV can be found in the blood,
> >>     semen, pre-seminal fluid, or vaginal fluid of a person infected
> >>     with the virus. The lining of the vagina can tear and possibly
> >>     allow HIV to enter the body.  Direct absorption of HIV through
> >>     the mucous membranes that line the vagina also is a possibility.
> >>
> >>     The male may be at less risk for HIV transmission than the female
> >>     through vaginal intercourse. However, HIV can enter the body of the
> >>     male through his urethra (the opening at the tip of the penis) or
> >>     through small cuts or open sores on the penis.
> >
> >What was left out of this statement was the fact the there would have to
> >be vaginal lessions for the AIDS virsus to be effectively transmitted to
the
> >male in vaginal intercourse.
>
> Indeed?  So you too know better than the US CDC and all of those
> medical researchers?   A woman needs a vaginal lesion in order
> to lubricate.  Another thing I never knew.

This is what the CDC used to say before political pressure was brought to
bear.
Tell me, why do you think vaginal transmission is common in the rest of the
world
but not in Europe or the USA?

Rich Soyack

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 17:32:24 -0400

"Dr S.J. Cornell" wrote:

> > Stephen Cornell wrote:
> > > And I also note that you are incapable of producing a coherent
> > > argument as to why it should be considered a `defect'.
> >
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Is sterility a defect
> > a) no
> > B) YES
>
> If you had been paying attention, you'd know why this is irrelevant:
> homosexuals can, and do, have children.

However, by having a preference for homosexual relationships,
they MINIMIZE their reproductive success.

> You seem to be trying to argue that homosexuality is a defect, because
> it directs resources away from reproduction.  Tell me, is it deviant
> behaviour for hererosexuals to adopt children who are not genetically
> their own?

If the children adopted are the progeny of one's close relatives,
then no, it's not contrary to the genetic purpose of carrying on
one's own genetic lineage.

On the other hand, if the children adopted are, for all practical
purposes, unrelated, then in most cases, it's counter-productive
to the purpose of successfully producing your own genetic grandchildren.

> --
> Stephen Cornell          [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
> University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 17:36:10 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> Roberto Pavan wrote:
>    >>
>    >> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>    >>
>    >> > You guys STILL have yet to demonstrate that homosexuality is
>    >> > anything OTHER than defective behavior.
>    >>
>    >> Why?  Seriously.  Why should they demonstrate anything?
>    >>
>    >> Seeing as it affects you not one whit whether someone chooses to have sex with
>    >> someone of the same gender, why should they have to prove anything to you at
>all
>    >> regarding this behaviour?  Why not go on wearing your tutu and playing with
>your
>
>    Aaron> If a car that I don't own, and I'm not riding in, crashes, killing all
>aboard,
>    Aaron> due to brake failure...
>
>    Aaron> are you trying to imply that I should be prohibited from commenting that
>    Aaron> the car was obviously defective in some way...
>
>    >> sock while listening to Barry Manilow records and staring at pictures of
>flatulent
>    >> field mice and leave them the hell alone?  Both you and they will be ever so
>much
>    >> happier...
>
>    Aaron> Personally, I wish all of these defective people would quit running around
>    Aaron> demanding that I give them special rights, so that they can indulge in
>    Aaron> their defective behavior.
>
> Can you name a single right being asked for that heterosexuals
> do not either already have,

Yes: The PRIVILEGE of not allowing others to judge their behavior.

For example, *I* get judged on my behavior all the time.  Why should
homosexuals get a special exemption?

> or would have along with gays should
> the proposed item be passed into law?

They tried that in my home town just this week.

Although public opinion polls showed the special-rights-for-gays proposal
to have a slight majority....the ACTUAL VOTING TURNOUT was a landslide
defeat for the homsexuals.

Imagine that.

> I will not hold my breath.
>
> There is nothing "special" about equal rights.

Homosexual already HAVE equal rights.

Any additional laws are Special Privileges.

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.