  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. ("JS \\ PL")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:11:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nick Condon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 12 Jun 2001 10:43:18 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>GreyCloud wrote:
>
>>David Brown wrote:
>>> Where would you be without your TV and your Cola, your antibiotics and
>>> your steam engine?  All are Scottish inventions, but I could hardly
>>> claim that Scotland is a "better" country than the US because of it.
>>> Nor could I claim it as a personal achievement, as you seem to.
>>
>>Keep dreaming.... without Tesla none of these electronic marvels would
>>have happened.
>
>Electric steam engines? Nice one!

Steam and electricity are merely energy conduits.  The true source
of energy is what's burned to heat the water -- in the case of the
"classical" steam engine, it's coal; modern steam engines, if there are
any, might use diesel or gas fuel (note that electrical power plants are
almost universally steam-turbine driven; some refrigeration units
are powered by small natural gas engines).

Even nuclear power plants use steam as an intermediary, through a
double heat exchanger system -- some use liquid sodium, for example,
in the first stage, as it happens to melt at the right temperature, IIRC.
(I don't know what other materials are available.)  The second stage
is -- surprise, surprise -- a conventional steam cycle turbine loop.

(Side point: there are some issues with solar photoelectric power
that go outside this model; in particular, the photoelectric cell
takes some energy to manufacture, as it's basically amorphous silicon.
Something has to melt the sand.  Other items include a halftube
construct focusing sunlight on a tube filled with heated fluid
which later gives up its heat to a steam engine, and more esoteric
technologies such as a multi-mirror focusing tower (one interesting
variant, suggested in _The Cool War_, used a holoraphic UV projector
and genetically-engineered mirror flowers).)

>--
>Nick

                    [select one]
                    It's a conspiracy of one.
                    Most advice is free.  Sometimes, it's worth it.
                    Hi.  I'm a signature virus.
                    [ ] Check here to always trust monopolistic software.
                    Most advice is free.  Sometimes, it's worth it.
                    I was asleep at the switch the rest of the time.
                    This is not a .sig.
                    No electrons were harmed during this message.

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:11:45 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 17:34:27 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >Said . in alt.destroy.microsoft on 8 Jun 2001 16:24:44 GMT;

> >>While at the same time, with the other hand, murdering people at Kent State,
> >>Grant Park, The Bowery and Washington Square, etc. etc. etc.
> >
> >As always, you can tell when someone's position is shakey when they
> >start using metaphoric, rather than analytic, speech.  People were
> >killed at Kent State and these other places, certainly.  They were not,
> >however, murdered.
>
> Playing words games won't help you now.
>
> >>And that was just in the last half of the last century.
> >>Not to mention vietnam, nicaruagua, north korea, etc, etc, etc.
> >>Not to mention McCarthy.
> >>Or LBJ.
> >

> >What about them?  Are you under the impression I am denying they exist?
>
> You'd rather they didn't.
>
> >>Actually, the united states has one of the WORST records of human rights
> >>violations of any "civilized" country in the world.
> >
> >Compared to whom?
>
> Canada, Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, Holland, Denmark, Belgium,
> Italy, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Mexico, Poland...

Ireland - abortion is illegal
France  - Paris commune massacre, Dreyfus affair, just as bad as US
Germany - a perfect example of human rights preservation for all of
history
Spain   - dictatorship until mid-70's
Italy   - not just the government abuses human rights

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:12:23 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Gays are suicidal, which is not sane.

False premise, you logically-handicapped moron.

------------------------------

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:13:34 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:45:05 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>www.linux-laptops.net

Something wrong with that link at least at the moment?

It depends on the distribution installed whether it works or not.

I just installed RedHat 7.1 and it worked fine, but yet Mandrake 7.2,
SuSE 7.1 and Caldera 2.4 screw up the video and I have yet to find a
way out of it.

With older versions of SuSE I can use XF86Setup and select 50-90hz and
monitor that will do 1024x768 at 72hz and it will work fine.
Even on those distros using xconfig (what ever the other program name
is) using the exact same choices results in a dead screen.

SuSE 7.1 complains of font paths missing and other cryptic messages.
I forget what the others do, but no matter what selection I choose it
is dead.

It appears that Gary is correct about Redhat and IBM because RedHat
worked right out of the box with the Thinkpad.

BTW as far as the other distros are concerned, X was the only problem
I had. Even sound worked fine.

flatfish+++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:17:47 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:34:47 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> Yeah, American Windows and foreign Linux. Now what does that tell you?
> >
> >Linux is a flavor of an American OS.
>
> Written from scratch by a Finn...

Based on an American OS.

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:20:51 GMT

drsquare wrote:

>  On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:33:59 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> Wow, you spend billions of tax payers money on taking someone to a
> >> large piece of rock, acheiving what? Meanwhile, children are starving
> >> to death across the world...
> >
> >Now we are supposed to feed them too?  Why don't the Dutch do it?
>
> Typical American attitude. Let the children starve to death whilst we
> send pieces of metal into space for fun.

Starve to death? Most of the children in America are obese and getting
fatter.

If you cannot understand why space exploration is important than you
have a teeny tiny little brain.

There's nothing more pathetic than some non-American bashing America
because he cannot deal with the diminished status of his own country.

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:20:38 +0200

In article <3b263ea1$0$94314$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <3b2612aa$0$94313$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad
>> Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> <snip>
>> >
>> > It's not quite the same. You don't have rabid moronic Windows
>> > guerillas who set up web sites to flame Linux....<rest snipped for
>> > comic effect>
>>
>> Oh no?
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/nts/news/msnw/LinuxMyths.asp
>
> Exactly what I'm talking about. Penguinistas are so far removed with the
> truth, that when smacked by it, they think it's flaming.
>
> -c

Man, don't be so uptight! It was meant as joke, for fscks sake. Or do you
need new glasses?

Mart

--
Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil,
Going with the flow, it's all the same to me,

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:24:14 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:57:39 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> Wow, you spend billions of tax payers money on taking someone to a
> >> large piece of rock, acheiving what? Meanwhile, children are starving
> >> to death across the world...
> >>

> >scooter, that starving is going on in your Euro backyard, along with
> >some genocide but you don't seem too bothered by it.  You also never seemed
> >too bothered that your eastern euro brothers have lived for decades under
> >brutal regimes while you lavished in a western europe lifestyle.
> >
> >Brutality and genocide in your own neighborhood and you never once tried
> >to do a damn thing about it.
>
> Actually, we have.

Mmmm 'kay, right. Remember Kosovo? The US had to fucking go in there and
put a stop to the killing... most Europeans were too busy hiding in
their houses and counting their money (although some actually gave a
fuck). Europeans were also against the idea of letting the Bosnians
defend themselves (they wouldn't let them import arms), but, as usual,
were more than content to let innocent people be slaughtered.

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:25:11 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2001 10:41:55 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)) wrote:
>
> >drsquare wrote:
> >
> >>On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:40:47 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >> ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))

> >>But most other developed countries have more relaxed laws than
> >>America. For instance, in most countries you can look at a woman
> >>without being sued for sexual harassment.
> >
> >Not to mention most civilised countries allow 19 year old adults to drink
> >margaritas with their Mexican mush if they want to.
>
> Never mind Bush, they may as well bring back Hitler and be done with
> it.

Errr, right.

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:24:07 +0200
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> drsquare wrote:
<snip>

>> Canada, Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, Holland, Denmark, Belgium,
>> Italy, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Mexico, Poland...
>
> Ireland - abortion is illegal
> France        - Paris commune massacre, Dreyfus affair, just as bad as US
> Germany       - a perfect example of human rights preservation for all of
> history
> Spain - dictatorship until mid-70's
> Italy - not just the government abuses human rights

So that leaves the Netherlands then?

:)

(and for fscks sake: it is 'the Netherlands' not 'Holland'. To someone
from the southern and northern provinces, that's like calling a
Southerner a Yankee).

Mart

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:30:38 -0500

"Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >
> > Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:17:23

> > >Not if you continue to word things so badly.
> >
> > I'm sorry if you're insulted, but I have to point out that the problem
> > is on your end.  You are confused and muddle-headed.  That is not my
> > fault.  It is, however, my problem, and I will try to help.  Ask
> > questions, and stop avoiding logical fallacies.
> >
> > Here, this might help: http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/toc.htm
> >
> >    [...]
> > >In Holland they get personal freedom. Unlike the US.
> >
> > Please explain.
>
> Drugs, alcohol, sex; things are MUCH more libertarian (freedom) in
> Denmark than in the US. It's all about personal responsibility.

And pedophilia.

-c

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:31:44 -0500

"Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> drsquare wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 17:34:27 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
> >
> > >Said . in alt.destroy.microsoft on 8 Jun 2001 16:24:44 GMT;

State,

> > >As always, you can tell when someone's position is shakey when they
> > >start using metaphoric, rather than analytic, speech.  People were
> > >killed at Kent State and these other places, certainly.  They were not,
> > >however, murdered.
> >
> > Playing words games won't help you now.

> > >What about them?  Are you under the impression I am denying they exist?
> >
> > You'd rather they didn't.

> > >Compared to whom?
> >
> > Canada, Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, Holland, Denmark, Belgium,
> > Italy, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Mexico, Poland...
>
> Ireland - abortion is illegal

So they don't kill their own young. Sounds much more enlightened than
the U.S. or Europe.

-c

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:31:12 +0200

Ooops, that should be www.linux-laptop.net

> Something wrong with that link at least at the moment?
>
> It depends on the distribution installed whether it works or not.
>
> I just installed RedHat 7.1 and it worked fine, but yet Mandrake 7.2,
> SuSE 7.1 and Caldera 2.4 screw up the video and I have yet to find a way
> out of it.
>
> With older versions of SuSE I can use XF86Setup and select 50-90hz and
> monitor that will do 1024x768 at 72hz and it will work fine. Even on
> those distros using xconfig (what ever the other program name is) using
> the exact same choices results in a dead screen.
>
> SuSE 7.1 complains of font paths missing and other cryptic messages. I
> forget what the others do, but no matter what selection I choose it is
> dead.
>
> It appears that Gary is correct about Redhat and IBM because RedHat
> worked right out of the box with the Thinkpad.
>
> BTW as far as the other distros are concerned, X was the only problem I
> had. Even sound worked fine.
>

> flatfish+++
> "Why do they call it a flatfish?"

That's why Slackware and Debian have a good reputation as laptop distros.
Sure you have to do a lot of setting up by hand, but there are no
automatic tools to fuck up your handiwork. I have Debian running on an
older Thinkpad (600x) and it is wonderful. Even my colleagues were
impressed with how slick it looks (I may have gained at least one
convert).

Mart

From: Applebee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ZDnet: David Coursey Attacks that Horrible Operating System: Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:32:20 -0700

;)

Want Windows on your desktop? Nine reasons to forget about it

David Coursey, Executive Editor, AnchorDesk

Windows is an important part of the computing landscape. Important because
poor standards matter. Important because it creates competition and a
looming threat to RedHat. Important because it gives a large number of geeks
and wonks a religion to belong to--complete with a patriarch.
Religion is a good thing, I believe, right up to the moment it makes a fool
out of you. And a good many Windows…what's the term? Proponents? Advocates?
No, zealots!--yes, a good many Windows zealots make fools of themselves.

I don't have Ninety-Five Theses to nail to the Wittenberg Door, as Martin
Luther did, but I take my reformation work where I can find it. So here are
some ideas for reforming people's wrong-headed notions of Windows:

Windows will never become common as a desktop operating system, and no
amount of believing will change that. It only makes adherents look stupid.
Why? Because Windows is too buggy, and there isn't enough money to make it
worth someone's time to build a really great environment for desktop apps.
And then software companies would need to build applications, but how large
a market is there? Yes, chicken-and-egg, but that stops many things, not
just desktop Windows.

If Windows 95 had lived up to the promise of "where do you want to go
today?" then Windows would have a bigger, but hardly fighting, chance of
unseating Linux, UNIX or Apple.

Windows, desktop especially but also server, is not a major threat to
RedHat. But it is enough of a threat to make RedHat notice, and that is
usually a good thing. RedHat will be on the defensive, at least a little,
and that gives customers some leverage they don't otherwise enjoy.

I don't have numbers to support this, but Windows may be a bigger threat to
various flavors of UNIX than it is to RedHat server operating systems.

There's at least a 50/50 probability that Windows will become Balkanized
just as UNIX was. There will be multiple, semi-compatible versions of Unix
that seem to be one operating system, right up until you try to install
applications. Surprise! Not the Solaris version? Sorry!

People talk about how wonderful it is that Windows is cheap. But over the
life of a server, the operating system is such a small part of the cost that
it gets lost in the other soft- and hard-dollar expenses. And you'd think
systems offering the lowest total cost-of-ownership would sell better than
they usually do. Apple, for many years, claimed a big TCO lead over Windows.
But did it help?

Big hardware companies may yet co-opt Windows: Here's an operating system
they can load, create add-ons for, and then sell support contracts for. Add
some minor barriers to switching to other platforms and operating
systems--either RedHat or another Windows--and you might have something.
Isn't this how Sun became King of Unix?

Windows is a cheap operating system Use it with my blessing, but don't let
it define you, your IS shop, or your company. And don't select Windows just
because you hate RedHat. That isn't good enough reason to pick an operating
system.

Windows will be a common operating system in places where we don't see an
operating system--like homeless men with 386 laptops and entertainment
appliances. Want Windows? Buy a 486 off of eBay. Windows makes great sense
as an cheap, old OS, but faces much competition. Still, I am betting most
people will have some sort of Windows-powered device in the lives sometime
in the next 5 years or so.
Luther and his followers were excommunicated for their beliefs. I don't face
anything nearly as drastic as that--but I know there are many in the Windows
cult ready to proclaim me a heretic, or worse.

For my part, I suppose I'm happy there are people who define their lives by
what operating system they use--if only because they're fun to watch. But I
am even happier that I'm not one of them.

AnchorDesk on radio and television: David is now getting up bright and early
to visit with Brian Cooley every morning at 7:45 a.m. PT on CNET Radio
(910AM in the San Francisco Bay Area and at www.cnetradio.com online). He is
also co-host of an hour-long program every Friday at noon PT on CNET Radio.
You can also catch David on CNET's News.com TV program, which airs twice
every weekend on CNBC (see airtimes) or by going to the special CNET TV page
featuring his most recent appearances and a link to the Friday radio
program.

--
Microsoft's Outlook (Express): The program that spreads virus'
so you don't have to! The computer said MS-DOS or better so I

------------------------------

From: Applebee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:35:51 -0700

On 12 Jun 2001 11:48:13 -0500, Jon Johansan
 <3b26471a$0$263$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Consider when car companies pay someone like JD Powers to
>guage customer satisfaction - the company that paid for the survey does NOT
>always come out on top and that's why people trust JD Powers.

But they don't have Bill Gates screaming at the raw meat to get the stats
up!

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:38:26 GMT

"Tim Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> in article lDnV6.75132$[EMAIL PROTECTED],
> Daniel Johnson at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 6/12/01 8:08
> AM:
> >> Give me some URLs.
> >
> > Hmm? You haven't noticed all the cites
> > with the little "get Acrobat Reader free"
> > badges on them?
>
> And that's because they have PDF files you can download NOT because the
page
> is served to you in PDF format.

Errrrm... that is what happens with HTML too. It
uses the protocol even.

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:42:17 -0600

On 12 Jun 2001 11:48:13 -0500, "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yes, I know the study was partially sponsored by MS (someone has to pay for
>these things) so please don't fire off stupid replies implying that MS
>purposely contaminated it's own results by 'buying the study' - that's just
>preposterous.

Not at all preposterous, given their past history of sponsoring
"flawed" studies.

At any rate there's a more accurate measure of linux's market share:
Microsoft does not launch all-out attacks against niche operating
systems that present no threat to Windows. That they're willing to
risk so many lies says so very much about their desperation.

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:46:32 -0400

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3b2637f3$0$94309$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "JS \ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > standard

> > chance
Windows

> > These specs don't mesh with what was available in the 200mhz era. Every
ad I
> > find in January 1997's Computer shopper has a mhz range of 133-200mhz
and a
> > hd offering of 2.x GB for low end pc's and 3.x GB for high end.
>
> 32MB of RAM was fairly standard then, wasn't it? I remember I had a 200mhz
> with 128MB and that was pretty high end (about how 256MB of RAM is seen
> today, since most comps ship with 64 or 128MB these days).
>
> 16MB seems a little low, even for then.

There's a few very low end computers in there with 16mb of RAM most are
equipped with 32 or 64. Not a single computer has a 1gb HD though, even on
the 133's.

I think he should have gone down to the main library microfisch department
before making spec claims that don't live in the same time zone.