Linux-Advocacy Digest #254, Volume #35           Fri, 15 Jun 01 04:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Gadget-lover's product suggestion:  "Linux Home Server" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux wins again.... ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Ketil Z Malde)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the  dust! ("Ayende
Rahien")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   (GreyCloud)
  Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance  (GreyCloud)
  Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance  (GreyCloud)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and         (GreyCloud)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and   (GreyCloud)
  Re: OT: The point of all of this... (was Re: Where is American pride?) (GreyCloud)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and        (GreyCloud)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters ("JS \\ PL")
  Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!! (GreyCloud)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (GreyCloud)
  Re: So what software is the NYSE running ? (GreyCloud)
  Re: Redhat video problems. (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (GreyCloud)
  Re: Getting used to Linux (GreyCloud)
  Re: netscape 6.1 - anyone? ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed ("Ayende Rahien")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Gadget-lover's product suggestion:  "Linux Home Server"
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 06:14:42 GMT

Flacco wrote:

>> Unfortunately things are headed just as much in the opposite direction.
>> Producers - of hardware, software, and content - don't mind making
>> product improvements when they have to, but not if it means allowing you
>> to skip commercials, easily switch to competing products, or pay for
>> information only once - or not at all.  Why should Sony's content
>> division create information accessible on any old device when it can
>> instead lock you into Sony's hardware division? And why should the media
>> gods allow some nobody to make up their own DVD player and pipe video
>> all over the place?  Not when the DMCA can stop it.  It's not like some
>> little newcomer is going to come along with enough money to take over
>> the industry by catering to the customer's needs.
>>
>> So yes, it would work, and no, it won't happen.
>
> Are you saying that a system like this would be illegal under the DMCA?

I'm unaware of either DVD player or cable TV set-top box with digital
video out, and the DeCSS case showed what will happen if you try
to make your own.  It's obviously a desirable feature, so something
like the DMCA was needed to prevent indepent manufacturers from
meeting the consumers' needs.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux wins again....
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:14:40 -0500

"Linux Admin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Linux stops Solaris and the best the over priced W2K can do is come close
> to a tie on one benchmark while falling far behind on another!
>
> http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0107/0107a/0107a.htm

Interesting benchmark, however it's a bit difficult to gauge any real
statistics from them.  For starters, though the machines are identical, it
only gives on architecture and any given OS can perform better or worse on
any given machine (for instance, the quality of the SCSI drivers alone might
make a difference).

To show a real test, you should do the same tests on identical hardware
using several different architectures.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 06:48:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Maynard Handley) writes:

> I said nothing about Mac or Linus users switching to Windows.

I know.  I thought of subverting them as the potential revenue
stream.  I see now that was not what you had in mind.

> If people want to dispute my reasoning, the points to dispute are my
> claim that the mass market of consumers do not upgrade because they
> perceive it to be a major hassle,

I don't think that is the main obstacle.  In my opinion, people in
general upgrade hardware when they no longer can bear the performance
of their systems.

Basically, I think Intel should pay MS to make software bigger and
slower. (Oh, they already do that for free :-)

-kzm

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the  dust!
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:04:02 +0200

"Colin Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>

> > >Hahahahahah
> > >
> > >Oh yeah XP is a killer OS alright ;-)
> >
> > Well, NT at one point was supposed to kill Unix.  (Somehow, I don't
> > think it quite succeeded in its objective...)
> >
> > :-)
> >

> Does NT even have a kill command? Can't kill much without
> a kill command.

It has, but only on the resource kit.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:50:17 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
> >
> > chrisv wrote:

> > > You see, you lose all credibility with statements like this.  It only
> > > shows you to be totally ignorant of history, or that your just an
> > > anti-american a-hole, or, more likely, both.
> > >
> > > Try to choose your battles.  Not everything about America is bad,
> > > obviously.
> >
> > Maybe he still has his finger in the dike.
>                                        ^^^^
>
> In DrSquare's case... it would be......dyke.

Hehehehe....it came to mind, considering things over there.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:51:33 -0700

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> >>I don't think he's referring to the current state, or the
> >>way things were way back when.  I think he's referring to
> >>the ideas and ideals that are genius.  In such a case, I
> >>would agree, to the logical extent that such ways are the
> >>most realistic ideals to date.
> >>
> >>It is my contention that most politicians, be they
> >>Democrat, or Republican, are fscking morons.  Look
> >>at how McCain has been waffling along.  IMHO, Bush
> >>just happens to be one of the few exceptions to the
> >>rule.
> >>
> >>Did you know that out here in AZ, we actually had a Rep.
> >>advocating the idea of having a "state dirt"?  I couldn't
> >>believe that one.  Another case of a pot-smoking lib
> >>dressing like a Rep, IMHO.
> >>

> > I just think that McCaine has a grudge against bush.
> >

> I remember, when Bill Clinton went for his second term, there was a dim
> witt who wanted to close the US up, vitually make it an eastern block
> because "foreign competition was taking jobs away from US citizens".
>
> Someone should have really smacked the guy in the head with a reality stick.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Ooohhh!  Sometimes these little tidbits never get released into American
mainstream media.  Am I surprised?

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:58:48 -0700

Rotten168 wrote:

> > > Man, things sure have changed since I was in school!
> > >

> > I'm not too sure about the US education system, but could someone please
> > go into detail on how/why it has degraded?
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
>
> Hmmm... IMO it's more of a cultural thing than anything else... but it's
> not really 'cool' for kids to be engaged by school... kids believe that
> getting grades and getting into college are more important than
> learning, so they cheat/float by.
>
> Also, kids get cynical by low teacher/child ratios. One huge problem is
> that parents are apathetic and would rather watch Survivor than go to
> PTA meetings, and they take teacher criticism of their children as
> insults and get defensive and work against the teacher rather than with
> them.
>
> My mom is a teacher so I should know.
>
> --
> - Brent
>
> "General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
> - Darth Vader
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

Responding to to you and Matthew.
Back in the 50's we respected authority.  Now it's the other way around.
In the school house was discipline.  Now there is none.
In the school house was peace without fear.  Now kids fear for their
lives in some areas and pack guns or other weapons to school.
In the school house was the pledge of allegiance. Now there is no
pledge.
In the school house was civility.  Now its a zoo!

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:01:15 -0700

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:

> >>If you are going to re-invest, go for reliable stocks like General
> >>Electric, IBM, Kraft (the food topping people), Unilever and other high
> >>quality stocks.
> >>
> >>Matthew Gardiner
> >>

> > I'm going to wait until after Feb. 2000.  If things are stable by then
> > those were most of the stocks you mentioned that I was going to invest
> > in.  IBM has some rather exotic stuff being researched right now that is
> > truly amazing.
> >

> Mind you, IBM has always been at the bleeding edge of technology. They
> actually innovate, such as Copper in CPU's, the special silicon
> technique use to reduce power consuption. There are quite a number of
> innovations.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

One science article I read, IBM was doing fundamental research in matter
transference from point A to B.  Haven't heard a thing since.
IBM was researching into optical computers and haven't followed that one
either.
One item that they did bring to fruition was making hard drive platters
out of glass instead of aluminum... matchbox hard drives.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:02:20 -0700

Rotten168 wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:

> > > When the US economy was rapidly slowing down, New Zealand was expanding at
> > > 3.5-3.7%, fueled by the low dollar and increased dairy output.  The US needs
> > > an export backed recovery, throw the dollar down to say, 50US Cents to one
> > > New Zealand Dollar, thus making it more competitive, imports cost more thus
> > > protect local industry ligitimately, and the trade deficit comes down.
> > >
> > > As for the stock exchange, the New Zealand has learnt from the 87 crash, but
> > > apparently, the US hasn't.
> > >
> > > Matthew Gardiner
> >
> > That is why I haven't reinvested yet.  There seems to be something wrong
> > in our stock market now.  The stock brokers are getting as bad as used
> > car salesmen or worse these days.
>
> Bah, it's a bargain market. Actually now would be the time to buy
> Microsoft, IBM. Those companies aren't going to go under and the market
> is bound to go up eventually.
> --
> - Brent
>
> "General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
> - Darth Vader
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

I know its a bargain market.... but these types of trends tend to make
the market careless again.  Things are still a little rocky.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: The point of all of this... (was Re: Where is American pride?)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:03:08 -0700

drsquare wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:03:05 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >drsquare wrote:

> >> It was patriotism that caused the war in the first place.
> >
> >Let us put it another way.... everyone invade Holland where you live and
> >see if anyone will defend.
>
> Why would anyone invade? And what has patriotism got to do with
> defending? And since when do I live in Holland?

Never mind.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:05:37 -0700

> >>I grew to hate MS after the 25th reinstall of 'doze.
> >>
> >>-ed
> >>

> > Ouch!  It took you that many times to realize that MS makes junk?
> >
> > :-)
> >

> Well, to be totally honest, it wasn't until I purchased by first PC, P75
> with 8MB of RAM, that I found out who Microsoft were. Prior to that I
> used by Amiga 500 exclusively for 8 years to complete all my work.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

I had an Amiga 3000.  That one had a SCSI hard drive.  I had Maple on it
and that was some software at the time. Better than what win3.1 could do
back then.
They were fun machines.

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:08:00 -0400

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:48:36 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] ()) wrote:

> >>Which is yet more money.
> >
> >Some of us have the means to acquire $30.
>
> And some of us have better things to spend £30 on than things that
> shouldn't have to be done in the first place.

Is that what your dad tells you when you ask him to get you a new modem for
his computer? Go mow a lawn.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:08:37 -0700

drsquare wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:20:12 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> U drink from cans??? bletch!
> >
> >Heheheh... try Budweiser from a can.  ;-)
>
> I'd rather drink my own sick. No, actually, someone else's sick.

Hehehehe... that's why I brought it up.  That's one crappy beer bud is.
The only thing they make are good frog and lizard commercials.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush.limbaugh
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:13:19 -0700

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> > Other than the coffins...
> >
> > And the Gay-"rights" activists always running around demanding
> > MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE AIDS research
> >
> > If Gays aren't the overwhelming victims of AIDS, then why is
> > it an issue for gay activists?
> >
> > Hmmmmmmmm?
> >

> Well, in New Zealand I hear the gay community saying they would rather
> promote more prevention, rather than the ambulance at the bottom of the
> cliff senario.  Maybe instead of cure, prevention would be a better way
> of using the resources.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

If I recall right, San Francisco was notorious for gay bathhouses that
ran all night.
When aids became a problem, most of the bathhouses shutdown.  I suspect
that this helped in reducing the spread of aids some. Then public
education on tv started via commercials, but the aids has gotten into
every sector of life its starting to blur the lines.  Africa, at least
what we've been spoon fed on the news, is suffering heavily from aids.
Not exactly sure what their real problem is over there.  The news is
sort of vague about it.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:18:52 -0700

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
>
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >>"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >>news:3b28bdd2$0$94306$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >>Not arguing with this.
> >>But keep in mind that the reverse is true as well.
> >>

> > You have to realize Ayende that I have used Solaris pkgadd too and have
> > had no problems at all.  It is very reliable.  It even writes a log of
> > where and what files were installed.
> >

> In fact, when you download the patchs, why no just run the script
> included with it? it automatically installs all the patches in the
> correct order etc.
>
> IRIX is very easy to upgrade, mind you, there were actually designed for
> the arty-farty crowd, for all intensive purposes, they aren't that
> technically literate, or wished to be concered over OS issues.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

I don't think chad has touched a sun.  It's so easy to do patchadd.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Date: 15 Jun 2001 07:22:03 GMT
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.

>However,
>> it's a bit of an arse to have to press Ctrl+Alt+plus to increase the
>> resolution from 640x480 every time it starts up.

Edit /etc/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config (which one depends on version and
distribution).

You'll several sets of of lines like this:

Depth 16
Modes "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"

The "Depth 16" refers to the colour depth; you might see sections for 1, 4, 8,
15, 16, 24, and/or 32.  Just edit the ones for the colour depth you use.

The order of the "names" after the word "Modes" determines the order you see
the modes.  The first one is the one you start in, the second is one Ctrl-Alt-+
away, etc.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:22:54 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> 2001
> > > about
> if I

> just
> > > make

> > > pleasant

> > > invalidate
> that I
> > > am
> like
> > > those

> about -
> > > you

> is
> windows.

> least we
> > > use

> > > months

> > > You can find most things at the Visual C++ web page at
> > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/
> > >
> > > Under "Product Support" choose "Product Updates".
> >
> > I've already tried.  Product is too old for them to update and I can't
> > download 175Mb of sp5 down over a 28.8 link.  I was even willing to
> > spend a mere $5 on a CD and MS refused because I didn't renew my msdn
> > subscription.  I will move over to Metrowerks in due time as its found
> > on a lot of different platforms.
>
> Huh?  You get the service packs free with MSDN, you only have to pay the $5
> if you're not an MSDN member.  That makes no sense.

The web-site didn't make any sense either... I guess someone over there
at MS better take another look at their web site.  But I do know that
the issue is being solved for me.  I hate to throw out all of my tools
just yet.  Ever since 1986 I've been buying their compilers and have a
large investment in them... but that may change if the DOJ upsets MS
applecart.  I really am not sure what effect that will have on the
markets.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting used to Linux
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:28:45 -0700

Paolo Ciambotti wrote:

> In article <9g9omu$i22$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > OMIGOD!
> >
> > I'll have to introduce you to my brother.
> >
> > He did an entire physics project (programs in C, sh and writeup in LaTeX
> > (10k words) ) in pico!
>
> What I used in college was TECO, but we won't go into that.  It's been
> twenty years since I had my last nightmare revolving around TECO and miles
> of paper tape; let's keep it that way.

Whew!  I remember that one on the VAX.
I took one look at it and put the book back.
I stayed with EDT.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape 6.1 - anyone?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:14:09 +0200

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:50:05 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "Burkhard Wölfel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Did anyone of you try out ns6.1 preview yet?
> >>
> >> I wonder if it is "advocable"...
> >
> > No, it isn't.
> > If you want to advocate something, advoacte Mozilla.
>
> Yep, and Mozilla is fantastic these days!
>
> > Advocating NS is about as hopeless as advocating Win3.0 as a server
platform

> Exactlyseing as Netscape is now ownedby AOL!

You *are* aware that a large precentage of the work on Mozilla is done by
paid AOL employee's, are you?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:26:22 +0200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Your stock options are almost toilet paper as it is, seeing that from
> over a year ago MS stock lost 2/3 of its value.

It didn't lose 2/3 of its value.

And did you notice that it's stock price is *climbing* in a reccession?

It used to be < 50$, not it's closer to 70$.