Linux-Advocacy Digest #276, Volume #35           Fri, 15 Jun 01 19:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell" ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed (Todd  Merritt)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and      (GreyCloud)
  Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...) ("Andrew Manore")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Macman)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Macman)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (GreyCloud)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Dan)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (GreyCloud)
  Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...) (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Will MS get away with this one? (GreyCloud)
  Re: Will MS get away with this one? (GreyCloud)
  Re: Will MS get away with this one? (GreyCloud)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Dan)
  Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...) ("Andrew Manore")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Dan)
  Re: Will MS get away with this one? (GreyCloud)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" ("Joseph T. Adams")

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell"
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:54:00 -0500

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:3b2a1c7a$0$789$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Well, "DLL Hell" is no longer a valid concept or issue in Windows 2000 or
> > > XP. Looks like that legacy has been taken up by linux - taken from the
front
> > > page of Linux Weekly News (http://www.lwn.net/):
> > >
> > > "gnucash 1.6 and the dependency nightmare
> > >
> > > gnucash is perhaps the prime example of shared library dependency hell.
The
> > > executable requires no less than 60 different shared libraries, all, of
> > > course, with the right version."
> > >
> > > I'm sorry but... har! har! har!
> > >
> > > "Upgrading to GNOME 1.4 addresses many of those dependencies, but not all
of
> > > them."
> > >
> > > Sure, just upgrade
> > >
> > > "Dealing with the rest has proved tricky, even for people who are
accustomed
> > > to this sort of problem. "
> >
> > Version hell (as it should be called) is nothing new to DLLs. All shared
> > library environments encounter it at some point or another. Even Java has
> > this problem to some extent. Of course, it's vogue to just bash MS
> > for it, because they are the root of all evil, right?
>
> Well, when they keep on having the same problem over and over and over
> and over again...  This is what we like to call stupidity.

No one else has seemed to solve it. Sun made Java long after Microsoft
had DLL problems. By your logic, Sun is way more stupid than Microsoft.
It's one thing to perpetuate a problem it's another thing entirely
to build it into your system.

The problem is a general one, it's just another example of you loonies
blaming MS for a common problem.

-c

------------------------------

From: Todd  Merritt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:13:24 -0700

On 15 Jun 2001, Jon Johansan wrote:

> > If thats a little rich for your blood, you can get a single S/390 node
> > running vm/linux (suse, ibm) with all the licensing you need (including
> > DB2 and software) for right around 600,000 US dollars, not including
> > shipping and installation.
>
> Wow - just what I need to run my Free OS on - what a savings!
>
> I would hardly consider IBM to be a "linux related" company. Lets say that
> IBM is just a company looking to borrow some hype from Linux for the simple
> reason it's "not-MS" and cause it was easy to port to their already running
> *nix systems.

Err, actually, the IBM mainframes were not running unix before, the IBM
line that runs unix is their RS/6000, which runs AIX, and I haven't heard
of anybody porting linux to that chip.  In any case, if somebody had, I
would hardly call it "easy", it is a totally different architecture, and
does not have segmented memory, which linux uses for it's own purposes.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:55:51 -0700

Nick Condon wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
>
> >Thaddius Maximus wrote:
> >> You keep using the term "American democracy," would you please explain
> >> to this American its context in the scheme of the US Constitution?
> >>
> >Even our pledge of Allegiance says its a republic.
>
> So what? Republic just means you haven't got a monarch.
>
> de·moc·ra·cy (d-mkr-s) n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies
>
> 2. Government by popular representation; a form of government in which the
> supreme power is retained by the people, but is indirectly exercised
> through a system of representation and delegated authority periodically
> renewed; a constitutional representative government; a republic.
>
> --
> Nick

In the beginning the democracy part was true... democracy embraces
slavery which america did have in the beginning.  Today the only slaves
I see are debt slaves.  So I feel that the term democracy has been more
used by the plutocrats than anything else.  A plutocrat believes that
the people think they are in control, which in fact we are not,... it
just seems that we are.

And of course the dictionaries... things change over time.  I used to
like to go to big libraries and look into very old dictionaries.  In one
old dictionary in the L.A. public library I found democracy....  all
that blared out to me was slavery was part of it.

From: "Andrew Manore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
ignorance...)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:59:38 -0400

"Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:cSgW6.1273$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Pot relaxes you, and makes you
>  more aware of your surroundings."
>
> Like when four of the idiots were
> in a serious car accident because
> they were too damned stoned to notice
> the road actually had a turn or two
> in it.

The same happens with alcohol.

Think of it as evolution in progress.

> "Pot has valid medical benefits."
>
> Pain relief.  That can be had with
> morphine, or codien (sp?), or
> perkaset (sp?).  If it can relieve
> glaucoma, then extract the necessary
> portion of it, and put it in a fucking
> pill for Christ's sake!

It's also used to reduce vomiting and stimulate appetite for people
with certain diseases. Marinol, a pill containing tetrahydrocannabinol,
has been developed, but it takes hours to work - problematic for
people with severe nausea, and the pill does not contain everything
found in the plant itself. It is possible to produce a complete extract
in the form of an oral-spray, but many will still find it cheaper to
grow and consume their own plants.

> This is a bunch of B.S.  I've had
> a bunch of friends who smoked pot
> in college... to this day, they
> still do, and are nothing but
> useless ne'er do wells.

Or perhaps they smoked pot _because_ they were useless ne'er do-wells
who would rather have been high than out working. (Little evidence has
been found that marijuana is linked to deteriorated motivation.)

Darwinism, in any case.

> I will never think that pot is a
> good thing, especially in light of the
> fact that it was recently discovered
> that marijuana causes tumors in brain
> tissue after years of extended use.

My web searches have revealed nothing.

Regardless though, alcohol eventually results in cirrhosis of the
liver. In the case of tobacco (and probably smoking marijuana) lung
cancer.

> Yes, my beef is personal.

Nothing you mentioned is any compelling reason for using government
force to punish people for doing as they will. And it most certainly
doesn't justify midnight raids by DEA stormtroopers, confiscation of
assets, strip searches, destruction of imported goods, killings of
elderly homeowners, etc.

--
Andrew Manore
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:01:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Settle down.
> >
> > We know that the file on the server is not changed.
> >
> > What's at issue is that new hyperlinks are added to the text of a web
> > page before it is shown to the user, and that the author of the web page
> > has no control over these new added hyperlinks.
>
> Once again, so what?   The author of the web page has no control over my
> choice of fonts, colors, graphics, sounds, etc.   Why no wailing and
> complaining about that?

Simply because changing the font or color does not change the content of
the page. Adding hyperlinks does.

------------------------------

From: Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:02:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 15 Jun 2001 16:42:04 -0500, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> He never said it was.
> >>
> >> He said the pages are 'intercepted' and changed. Presumably by the
> >> browser.
> >
> >If that were true, then changing the fonts and colors is also
> >"intercepting and changing".   Why is no one complaining about that????
> >
> >Dan
>
> Or better yet. Apples system wide color correction intercepts the
> images on my web page and CHANGES THE COLORS without my authorization.

Not even close.

Apple's system wide color correction is intended to restore the colors
to closer to what the web author intended. Unless you've screwed it up
somehow.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush.limbaugh
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:04:39 -0700

Fernandinande Le Mur wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:13:19 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> expounded:
>
> <
> <If I recall right, San Francisco was notorious for gay bathhouses that
> <ran all night.
> <When aids became a problem, most of the bathhouses shutdown.  I suspect
> <that this helped in reducing the spread of aids some. Then public
> <education on tv started via commercials, but the aids has gotten into
> <every sector of life its starting to blur the lines.  Africa, at least
> <what we've been spoon fed on the news, is suffering heavily from aids.
> <Not exactly sure what their real problem is over there.  The news is
> <sort of vague about it.
>
> The popmedia is dishonest about reporting on AIDS in Africa because
> they don't want to burst the bubble that AIDS is a threat to the
> general population, rather than just to some specific sub-groups.
>
> About a year ago Scientific American had a fairly PC article about
> AIDS in Africa and blamed rampant prostitution combined with sexual
> practices which cause small amounts of bleeding ("dry sex", or women
> putting sand, baboon urine and such in their vaginas before fucking -
> no, I'm not kidding). In other words, the AIDS epidemic in Africa
> is the result of the sexual behavior of the victims.

Gawd,... now that does sound pretty kinky to me!  Hope that nasty
attitude doesn't spread over here... (smear a little cat piss or dog
piss on herself... yuck!)

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 15 Jun 2001 17:07:05 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >It's just an option for *my* machine.   Someone looking at the same page
> >using another browser will not see anything different.
>
> Well, we'll just have to see, won't we?

No, *you'll* just have to see.   I've already seen it.   I have Windows
XP with IE 6 right here.   I'm using it right now on my main PC.

For example, I'm looking at a story on Yahoo that contains the phrase
"University of Michigan".   It's underlined by a broken maroon line.
It's clearly not a standard hyperlink.

When you park the mouse over it, a little icon appears.   You click this
icon, and a pop up window appears.   In this window are 7 choices:
Academics, Admissions, Alumni, Athletics, News Events, Official Site and
Search the Web for University of Michigan.

All of these except the last takes you to the relevant University of
Michigan web page in a separate window.   Search takes you to a MSN page
with search results.

It's more like an index than a hyperlink.   It's actually very useful.
Perhaps you should withold your opinion until you've actually used it.

Dan

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush.limbaugh
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:07:25 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Rick wrote:

> > > Ironically, it was RONALD REAGAN who was pushing for them to be
> > > shut down....and the gay community later accused him of "not
> > > doing anything" about AIDS.
> > >

> > Regan DIDNT do anything about AIDS. He was anti0homosexual. He he closed
> > bathhouses, it had NOTHING to do with AIDS prevention.
>
> Yes, it did, you moron.
>
> At that time, the only thing the medical community had to go on was
> a high correlation with something they called 'Gay Bowel Syndrome',
> and so they advised Reagan that the best way to stop the spread of
> AIDS was to shut down the bath houses.
>
> This caused the fags to simultaneously howl that
> a) nobody was doing anything to help stop AIDS
> and
> b) that shutting down the bathhouses, which is one place where the
>         pathogen was being transmitted...wasn't right.

I saw a little news article about the uproar in San Francisco about
shutting down the bathhouses... one wanted to the gov. to cure aids and
reopen the bathhouses.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:08:35 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rotten168
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:32:36 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
>
>> Did you know that out here in AZ, we actually had a Rep.
>> advocating the idea of having a "state dirt"?  I couldn't
>> believe that one.  Another case of a pot-smoking lib
>> dressing like a Rep, IMHO.
>
>What's your beef with pot?

There are those who classify pot as an extremely dangerous substance
(in fact, legally, it's a Class I Narcotic: of no medicinal value
whatsoever, interdict on sight, etc. etc.)  Note the "killer weed"
campaign in the 1930's or so.

Others would consider it a gateway drug to the harder stuff,
such as cocaine, LSD, and PCP.

I'm not sure there's evidence for the truth of either viewpoint,
although there are indications long-term use will damage
memory function.  But then, long-term use of alcohol may
damage liver function -- so where's the consistency?
Not here, that's for sure.

>--
>- Brent
>
>"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
>- Darth Vader
>
>http://rotten168.home.att.net

                    [select one]
                    Would Emperor Palpatine approve of this?
                    This is a .sig.
                    Microsoft.  When you're not aggravated enough.
                    Microsoft.  Just when you thought you were safe.
                    This space for rent.
                    Be paranoid.  Everyone else is.
                    Are you watching TV, or is the TV watching you?
                    I don't hate Microsoft.  Just their products.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Will MS get away with this one?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:09:38 -0700

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:30 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Said Form@C in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:09:58 GMT;
> > >T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> > >
> > ><snip>
> > >>
> > ><snip>
> > >
> > >Isn't it suprising how quickly Apple supporters (in particular) have
> > >forgotten Apples past "dirty tricks"?
> > >
> > >Remember the hard-sector disks that Apple kept using for years after
> > >everyone else (almost) had ditched them?
> >
> > No, I don't.  When was that?
>
> Instead of identifying sectors in software as happens when you format a
> floppy, Apple's hard sectored disks had a series of holes, generally 16 of
> them, to identify the sectors. Wozniak did it that way because he didn't
> have the cash for disk controller hardware.
>
> <...>
>
> > Apple has always had a great balance between compatibility and
> > proprietary value-add, I think.
>
> Doesn't matter how many times you say it Max, it doesn't make it true.
>
> Apple have shafted just as many people as Microsoft, the only difference
> being that Apple's victims were the little guy and Microsoft took on the big
> boys.
>
> Peter

I dont' recall any holes in any floppy disk I used to have on my Apple
II.
The sector writing and positioning was all done in software on two proms
on the disk controller.
When I purchased UCSD pascal for it I also received two new proms.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:10:30 -0700

Rick wrote:

> Peter Hayes wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:30 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Said Form@C in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:09:58 GMT;

> > > No, I don't.  When was that?
> >
> > Instead of identifying sectors in software as happens when you format a
> > floppy, Apple's hard sectored disks had a series of holes, generally 16 of
> > them, to identify the sectors. Wozniak did it that way because he didn't
> > have the cash for disk controller hardware.
> >

> Are you high?
> I have never seen an Apple floppy with 16 holes. And Wozniak didnt
> design his drive controlle card until Apple had already incorporated.
> Markula was already there too. His design was described as another
> engineering work of art.
>
> > <...>
> >
> > > Apple has always had a great balance between compatibility and
> > > proprietary value-add, I think.
> >
> > Doesn't matter how many times you say it Max, it doesn't make it true.
> >
> > Apple have shafted just as many people as Microsoft, the only difference
> > being that Apple's victims were the little guy and Microsoft took on the big
> > boys.
> >
> > Peter
>
> How has Apple shafted as many as micro$oft. Just by sgeer size, m$ HAS
> to have shafted more. After all, everyone that uses an m$ OS is getting
> a big one from Gates.

There were some CP/M machines that used hard sectored floppies.  North
Star Horizon was one of them.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:11:15 -0700

"Form@C" wrote:

> Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>
> <snip>
> > Are you high?
> > I have never seen an Apple floppy with 16 holes. And Wozniak didnt
> > design his drive controlle card until Apple had already incorporated.
> > Markula was already there too. His design was described as another
> > engineering work of art.
> >
> <snip>
>
> I'm afraid that *I* may have been! I always understood that early apple
> drives used hard sectoring in conjunction with their own electronics. I
> have just been doing a search to confirm that, but have drawn a blank! It
> looks like I was wrong folks. I must have been getting confused with
> something else (getting confused is getting easier nowadays!)
>
> --
> Mick
> Olde Nascom Computers - http://www.mixtel.co.uk

No problem... it happens to me a few times as well.  Besides that was
quite a while ago. :-)

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 15 Jun 2001 17:12:03 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Go read up on Fair Use.
>
> You as the user have different rights than a third party would.
>
> Furthmore, Microsoft most certainly _did_ make a change. Copyright law
> doesn't care whether you turned the feature on or not. The fact that it
> exists at all is a violation of the author's copyright.

Baloney.   The page has not been changed.   If you consider an underline
to be changing the page, then what of changing fonts, colors, turning
off graphics and sounds?   That's more of a change than this, yet no one
is complaing about that.

Dan

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Manore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:12:03 -0400

"Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:cSgW6.1273$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Pot relaxes you, and makes you
>  more aware of your surroundings."
>
> Like when four of the idiots were
> in a serious car accident because
> they were too damned stoned to notice
> the road actually had a turn or two
> in it.

Actually, studies have shown that marijuana's impact on driving
performance is relatively small compared to alcohol.

Besides, I see incidents like the above as Darwinism in action.

> "Pot has valid medical benefits."
>
> Pain relief.  That can be had with
> morphine, or codien (sp?), or
> perkaset (sp?).  If it can relieve
> glaucoma, then extract the necessary
> portion of it, and put it in a fucking
> pill for Christ's sake!

It's also used to reduce vomiting and stimulate appetite for people
with certain diseases. Marinol, a pill containing tetrahydrocannabinol,
has been developed, but it takes hours to work - problematic for
people with severe nausea, and the pill does not contain everything
found in the plant itself. It is possible to produce a complete extract
in the form of an oral-spray, but many will still find it cheaper to
grow and consume their own plants.

> This is a bunch of B.S.  I've had
> a bunch of friends who smoked pot
> in college... to this day, they
> still do, and are nothing but
> useless ne'er do wells.

Or perhaps they smoked pot _because_ they were useless ne'er do-wells
who would rather have been high than out working. (Little evidence has
been found that marijuana is linked to deteriorated motivation.)

In any case, think of it as evolution in progress.

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 15 Jun 2001 17:13:12 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:59:20 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"Macman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >> Furthmore, Microsoft most certainly _did_ make a change. Copyright law
> >> doesn't care whether you turned the feature on or not. The fact that it
> >> exists at all is a violation of the author's copyright.
> >
> >No, MS gave you the tool to make the change, it didn't make the change.
>
> They made the browser that changed the page, without the user
> intervening.

Wrong again.   You really should understand what you are criticizing.
You must turn this feature ON.   The default is OFF.

Dan

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:12:53 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Instead of identifying sectors in software as happens when you format a
> > floppy, Apple's hard sectored disks had a series of holes, generally 16 of
> > them, to identify the sectors. Wozniak did it that way because he didn't
> > have the cash for disk controller hardware.
>
> Not true.  Actually, the first Disk drivers had 13 sectors, not 16.  It did
> have a single hole in the ring to signify track 0, but all other sectors
> were calculated.  This was called a "soft sectored" disk, while the type you
> describe was called a "hard sectored" disk.
>
> Wozniak is quoted as saying "If i'd known anything about how disk drives
> were supposed to be made, the Apples drive wouldn't have been half as good".

I saw an article by Dvorak ... he looked at the disk controller and said
it was a pure genius to have all the trace on one side and components on
the other side.

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 15 Jun 2001 22:16:27 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Sandman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:> > > PDF **is** a proprietary format.  It's owned by Adobe.  It's no less
:> > > proprietary than DOC or XLS.
:> >
:> > It si completely open , though.
:>
:> Is it? Is the source available and can anyone modify that source?

: PDF is a document format, not an application. The format is open, meaning
: anyone can write PDF plugins or PDF readers. Or at least, this is probably
: what the poster meant. I have no real clue about wheather PDF is open or
: not.
: But compare it to Postscript, another Adobe format, that isn't open, and
: Apple choose not to use it since the license was to expensive.

: --

Both formats are open, and can be implemented (and are in fact
implemented) in free software.

Joe