From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:31:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:20:10 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Dan wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>  Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Neither Google nor anonymizer changes the _content_ of pages. If they
>> > start changing the content, then they should be stopped.
>>
>> Smart Tags do not change the *content* of pages, either.   It just
>> presents more navigation options to the individual user.
>>
>> Dan
>
>It adds links that I DONT WANT ON MY PAGE. What dont you understand? If
>I want links to GM, Coca-Cola, or the Shah of Iran, I'll put them there.
>If I dont put three, I must not want them there... ON MY PAGE. MY PAGE.
>its not there for microSoft software to change.
>What... dont... you... understand???

There was once a controversy about one company suing a second company
since the second company put links to the first company's page,
without the first company's consent.

Microsoft had better be extremely careful here.

                    Linux.  The choice of a GNU generation.

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:33:36 +0100

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:54:04 +1200, "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Gee, you don't think that perhaps after the purchase that Bill began to
> make
> > > huge contributions to charity and education organizations and hence
> gained
> > > some of his reputation (outside of computer geeks) for this?
> > >
> > > AND so what? If YOU bought the encyclopedia britannica and it had your
> > > picture next to "Wanker" you wouldn't _suggest_ they change it in a way
> that
> > > doesn't actually alert some historical fact as opposed to some opinion?
> > > mean, what right does Funk & Wagnall have to publish their OPINION on
> Gates
> > > in an Encyclopedia which is supposed to impart unbiased and true facts.
> > >
> > > Then again - I don't see anything wrong with what was there originall. I
> > > would LOVE to be known as a tough competitor who seems to value winning
> in a
> > > competitive environment (anything bad with that? I think not) over money
> > > (and that makes it even better - a guy who cares more for competition
> > > instead of personal gain?). Damn, they should have left the original in
> > > there, made him sound cooler than just another rich guy giving away tons
> of
> > > cash money to the needy...
> >

> > I'm needy. :-)  I need a new computer!  Think Bill will give me a brand
> > new SunBlade?
>
> goto www.xsnet.com and have a look at the ref. UNIX machines.  The O2 w/ the
> video option is awsome, esp when capturing video w/ mpg compression on the
> fly. Something a Wintel b0x would choke over.

Who are you kidding? Avid Symphony runs on a PII/III 400Mhz and captures
broadcat quality video uncompressed. None of your Mpeg compressed rubbish
there.

Costs a bit more, mind...

Alternatively, and for the cheaper option,  Avid Media Composer running on
an Apple Mac G4 can capture broadcast quality video at 2:1 to 5:1
compression depending on picture content. Even an Apple 8600/9600 (I think I
have the numbers right) can.

So Wintel boxes cope fine.

Peter

 Probably one of the best

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Subject: Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell"
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:23:57 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:36:02 +0900, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ("Osugi Sakae" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> Where does it get the packages from? And what if the package manager
>>> doesn't know where to get them from?
>>
>>You are either a horrible troll or a total, wet-behind-the-ears newbie.
>>Or both. You obviously know nothing about debian.
>>
>>If it recognizes the software then it can install it and all the extra
>>packages that might be needed. That is one of the great things about .deb
>>packages.
>>
>>Hell man, i don't even use debian and i know that.
>>
>>In fairness, i guess that if you try to install something extremely new
>>that no one has made a package for, the install would fail. Probably just
>>give you some error like "gnucash version ### is already installed" where
>>version ### would be the old version because it didn't know about the new
>>version yet. If it knows about it, it will know about all dependencies
>>and get them ok.
>
>Which is all well and good if there is a package for it. But for the
>large majority of software, there isn't.

Doh. Apt-get gets packages from the archives you tell it to look in.
If the package you want is not in the archive, then it won't work.
I don't know the exact number but I think there are over 3,000 packages
in debian's archive.  There are others in the Progeny one, and several
people have their own archives.

If you're using debian, you install from one of the archives, that is
*how* you do it.

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:29:04 +0100

Paolo Ciambotti wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Mark"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>Occasionally the wife and I will watch a couple of minutes of Jerry
>>>Springer (that's all we can stand) on the telly, and we always end up
>>>rejoicing in how uncomplicated our lives are, and how lucky we are to
>>>have
>>
>> You don't actually believe it do you ;-) ?
>
>LOL!  Of course not, but it still makes me happy as a clam that my wife
>doesn't weigh 350 pounds, has all her teeth, isn't covered with jailhouse
>tatoos, and doesn't swear like a sailor.
>
>But it's still more believable than the exaggerated WinNT uptimes that get
>posted here.

:-)))))

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:25:13 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Thrippleton wrote:
>In article <HdxW6.1411$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Seán Ó Donnchadha wrote:
>>
>>Please. A thousand different configuration textfiles scattered all over the
>>disk, each with its own syntax, is a billion times more "opaque" than the

They're in /etc, ~/.xxyyrc

It's pretty simple.

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:08:36 +0000

Dan wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > And Microsoft will be intercepting pages, and adding in links before
> > serving them to the end user.
>
> Microsoft doesn't "intercept" anything.   It's a feature that *I* can
> turn on or off.
>
> In fact, the links are added *after* the page is displayed.
>
> Dan
How is that done? The only way to have a page change after it is
displayed is by using a client program.

Removing images, changing fonts and colours is not changing content. You
are only changing the presentation of content. Any good web designer
will label their images. They anticipate that some users will not
display them. Content is not affected by current browser options.

Having a closed source dominant browser, Microsoft is free to do
whatever they wish.

--
MV running SuSE 7.1, Linux 2.4.0-4GB, KDE 2.0.1

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:50:00 GMT

Peter Hayes wrote:

> > make
> > gained

> > that
> > Gates

> > in a
> > of
> > >

> > > I'm needy. :-)  I need a new computer!  Think Bill will give me a brand
> > > new SunBlade?
> >
> > goto www.xsnet.com and have a look at the ref. UNIX machines.  The O2 w/ the
> > video option is awsome, esp when capturing video w/ mpg compression on the
> > fly. Something a Wintel b0x would choke over.
>
> Who are you kidding? Avid Symphony runs on a PII/III 400Mhz and captures
> broadcat quality video uncompressed.

So are you saying that this machine running windoze can't handle the extra
overhead of compression?

> None of your Mpeg compressed rubbish
> there.

Depends on the bit-rate you specify, dude.

Chris

--
Thanks for reading my message.  Please pay up.  My rates are:
US $0.35 for humorous posting.  US $0.55 for trolling in Windows newsgroups.

------------------------------

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So how many applications can Windows run on the IA-64?
Date: 16 Jun 2001 12:42:47 -0500

Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Does Explorer have seamless ftp access?
>
> Yes.

When I last used Explorer, I was amazed at how much was lacking for a
"user-friendly" shell.  I couldn't find a command for splitting the view in
half, so I can browse 2 directories at once.  This is disappointing for a
system that bills itself as being so user-friendly.

But I will continue to try (emphasis) to use the Windows applications I need
under Wine.  I'd also like to try using winelib for compiling Windows apps
under native unix.  For me, just totally forgetting about Windows isn't an
option, because a lot of the jobs I work on involve programming under Win 98.
(I'll just have to tough it out for a while until I can gain enough experience
to find the programming job of my choice.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:48:16 +0100

In article <3b2a5db8$0$1882$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jon Johansan wrote:

>"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9gdcm3$e1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>pay
>that

>"flawed"

>you
>in
>our
>>
>> > "Hello Netcraft? Yea, Linus here. Look, can we jigger those figures
>again.
>> > You know, publish some really high numbers for Apache, low ones for IIS,
>> > jigger then around a little up and down and since there is no
>independent
>> > verification and no one else is even trying I'm sure no one will mind.
>Of
>> > course I won't be paying you anything, I don't have any money, but I can
>> > guarentee you'll get mentioned on Slashdot again this month. Great ...
>and,
>> > please, wear that aftershave I sent you, it really turns me on."
>>
>> Are you accusing Linus Torvalds of bribing netcraft to skew results?
>>
>> You realize he does actually read this newsgroup now and then, dont you?
>
>Just as you accused MS of bribing Gartner (and whomever happens to print
>something favorable about MS or disfavorable about Linux)?

It's more subtle than that.  Gartner have been presenting FUD on
Microsoft's behalf for years.  This isn't an issue of accusation, it's
a very well known fact.  Like most analysts, they'll say what they
believe will get them most paying work in the immediate future.  Since
it will be a while before Microsoft lose their current economic
dominance, it will be a while before Gartner consider presenting any
different line.

But then, I'm sure you're not so naive as not to be aware of this.

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:44:53 +0100

In article <3b2a6513$0$1823$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jon Johansan wrote:

>In this forum, however, I find it just amazing how much utter crap and
>bold-faced lies are propogated with FUD layered atop, around and support

So why don't you stop doing it then?

>It's all fun to me... :0

Ah, I suspect it's rather more than that.  You look like an astroturfer
from where I'm sitting.

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:38:57 +0100

In article <3b2a5d58$0$1825$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jon Johansan wrote:

>"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9gdcjb$e1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > That's rich. Oh, that's precious. A linvocate trying to talk about
>> > "going-out-of-business" and trying to make some dollars? given the
>> > "performance" of EVERY single "linux" related company you can think of -
>> > find that laughable.
>>
>> IBM makes the largest, fastest parallel clusters in the world.  See the
>> ASCI series, also Blue.
>
>Which isn't running Linux.
>

>> If thats a little rich for your blood, you can get a single S/390 node
>> running vm/linux (suse, ibm) with all the licensing you need (including
>> DB2 and software) for right around 600,000 US dollars, not including
>> shipping and installation.
>
>Wow - just what I need to run my Free OS on - what a savings!

You're absolutely right - that's what they're being used for -
replacing huge farms of unreliable and hard to maintain NT servers
with a single 390 with boatloads of virtual linux machines on -
trivial to manage, near 100% availability.

I'm impressed you knew about this.

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Jun 2001 12:46:04 -0500

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Erm, have you been drinking again? In what way is the Linux desktop
> behind Windows?  Does having a MUCH wider choice of windows
> managers/envirnments mean it's behind? Does being able to switch
> resolution at the press of a key mean it's behind? Does having virtual
> desktops and multiple work spaces mean its behind? Does not crashing
> every ten minutes mean its behind? Does having better programs than
> windows, all for free, mean its behind? You're confusing me now.

I guess it's because he has a hard time printing from Linux.  Don't know why
he's having these problems -- I just install Apsfilter, ghostscript, and the
converter programs I need, and I have no problems whatsoever.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (EnochsVision)
Date: 16 Jun 2001 10:55:24 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson) wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Anyone know yet what the meta tag is to turn this crap off? I'd like to
> make sure that my stuff is protected from this as soon as I can. It's no
> biggie yet as XP isn't out, but I want that tag soon so I can put it
> where it will do the most good (Thank goodness for proxy servers.)

>From the IE6 FAQ:

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6beta.browser
Internet Explorer 6
Updated: June 12, 2000
Frequently Asked Questions

<excerpt>
How do I disable smart tags from recognizing items on the pages I created?
As part of their content, content providers can disable smart tags
recognizers from being applied to their pages by specifying the following
meta tag: <meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="TRUE">

------------------------------

From: macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More microsoft innovation
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:04:54 GMT

In article <9gfk7b$j1h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "macman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <9gfgn9$e45$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > would
> people

> you

> on
> > > >

> > > Why should *you* decide? Why should *I* decide? It's displayed on *my*
> > > system, I want those SmartTags, what right do you have to not allow me
> them?
> > > And if I want to use the MS stock tags, what right do you have to tell
> me
> > > not to?
> > >

> > No one is telling _you_ what to do.
> >
> > What they're complaining about is Microsoft's activity. What might be OK
> > for you, as an end user, to do is not necessarily OK for Microsoft, as a
> > monopoly, to do.
>
> MS provides me with the tools to do so. I don't have the
> time/money/incentive to create this myself, why would MS be prevented from
> implementing this?
> The smarttags aren't hard-coded, they can be changed by the user, and by the
> page author. Why are you object to this? Because MS has a stock smart tags?

Of course. MS will have the tags installed on the vast majority of
computers sold. That gives them unprecedented control over the web's
content.

Given their history of nefarious and even illegal conduct, I don't want
them to have that power.