From: Rex Ballard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux wins again....
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 07:09:49 GMT

==============D08FA0BDC202A39B3B859FBC

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Rex Ballard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > This is a very interesting article.  Interesting first because
> > Microsoft even allowed the benchmark to be run and then published.
> > Since the NT Server license
> > requires Microsoft approval of all benchmarks I'm surprised it was
> > ever published.

> The NT Server EULA doesn't have any such limitation.  You are thinking of
> the SQL Server license, which does (as does Oracle and every other major
> RDBMS).

Actually, I just installed NT server about 2 weeks ago.  I not only
read the EULA,
but I also pointed out this clause to my coworkers in the room.

<Quote from actual NT EULA>
Limitation on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly.
You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE
PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is
expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

Version Limitation: The Server Software contains a certain version
number (such as version "3.5"). This EULA permits you to install one
copy of the Server Software with the same (or a lower) version number
as the Server Software version number listed above on a single
computer
(for example, if the version number listed above is "3.5," you may
install Server Software that contains a "3.5" or "2.0" version number,
but not a "3.6" version number).

Termination: Without prejudice to any other rights, Microsoft may
terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and
conditions
of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the
SOFTWARE
PRODUCT and all of its component parts.

For Microsoft Windows NT Server: Processor Limitation. The Server
Software may be used by no more than four (4) processors of the
Server at any one time (support for greater than four processors
is available from authorized computer hardware vendors).

Client Access. You need a separate Client Access License for Windows
NT
Server in order to access or otherwise utilize the following Windows
NT
Server basic network services: File Services (sharing and managing
files
and/or disk storage), Printing Services (sharing and managing
printers),
and Remote Access Service (accessing the server from a remote location
through a communications link). You do not need a separate Client
Access
License for Windows NT Server to access or otherwise utilize any other
Windows NT Server services, to access or run Microsoft or third-party
server applications on Windows NT Server, or to otherwise use the
Client
Software.

Note on Microsoft Windows for Workgroups or Windows 95 software. The
CD on which Windows NT Server resides may contain a copy of Windows
for Workgroups or Windows 95 software. Note that in order to install
or use this software, you must acquire a separate Windows for
Workgroups or Windows 95 license.

Note on Microsoft Internet Information Server software.  Windows NT
Server may include Internet Information Server.  Your rights to use
this software are described below.
For Microsoft Internet Information Server:

Use. You do not need a separate Client Access License for Microsoft
Internet Information Server to access or otherwise utilize the
services of Microsoft Internet Information Server. The Client
Software may only be used in conjunction with validly licensed
copies of Microsoft operating system products.

No Performance or Benchmark Testing.  You may not disclose the results
of any benchmark test of either the Server Software or Client Software
for Internet Information Server to any third party without Microsoft's
prior written approval.
</QUOTE>
The following is an exerpt from copyrighted material from Microsoft.

--
Rex Ballard
It Architect

begin:vcard
n:Ballard;Rex
tel;cell:973-723-4008
tel;work:973-723-4008
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:IBM Global Services;EAI National Practice
adr:;;491 Valley Rd;Gillette;NJ;07933-2111;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Cons IT Architect
fn:Rex Ballard
end:vcard

==============D08FA0BDC202A39B3B859FBC==

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:14:00 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > > "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Seattle
> > >
> > > I think it's called hall-way testing, the point is to give the software
> > > people that doesn't know much about computers, so they could point out
> about
> > > problems, not bugs, but problems with the UI.
> > > Like, I couldn't understand how to use feature XXX or YYY.
> >
> > I think all they have to do is hand it over to Bill for testing.
>
> Believe it or not, but Bill isn't an average user.
>
> Beside, you need to have focus groups, Bill is no typical user by no means
> (Just how many people do you know that can use a Cray as a desktop
> machine?).
Not very many.  But I think Bill can quickly criticize the GUI or how
things work than the average user could.  I know what you mean tho, give
it a real dummy test and if the dummy can use it then it must be good.
However, I'm looking at other maintenance features that should be
properly tested to ensure it really works like it is supposed to.  I've
seen software come out of a lab and delivered to a user only to hear the
user scream "I don't know how to use it!"  Then they tell them "well
re-index your database"... to which "Huh?".  Sometimes this happens.
There are a few areas in windows that could be improved... like the
smaller fonts that are jagged while the larger fonts are smoothed out.
Nit picking of course.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:16:16 -0700

green wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9ghddo$5o2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9ghc75$36n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > > I remember a friend moved another friends c:\windows to recycle bin and
> > > powered down in 95a.
> > > it didn't power up (surprise surprise)
> > > but you can't just copy them out of recycle bin either.
> > > a user should not be able to do this!!!
> >
> > You can't do that, sorry. If you would try to do that, it would fail and
> > complain on being unable to do this due to locked files.
> >
> correct but you can move enough to cause a failure to load even safe mode.
> and the option is a reinstall. and with persistence you can move all but a
> select few.

But the issue here is the upcoming XP.  Could one do this on XP as well?

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:23:26 -0700

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:54:25 -0700
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> >>
> >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ayende Rahien
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>  wrote
> >> on Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:26:22 +0200

> >> It appears that Microsoft's high was around 120 -- after adjusting
> >> for stock splits (the last one being a 2:1 on March 29, 1999).
> >> The closing stock price as of today is $68.02.  At most, this appears
> >> to be a loss of 44%, down from a loss of about 65% (it hit its low of
> >> 40.25 sometime before January 2001 and has increased 70% or so
> >> in value since).
> >>
> >> http://quote.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT&d=c&k=c1&a=v&p=s&t=6m&l=on&z=m&q=l
> >>
> >> --
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- anybody got a spare time machine?
> >> EAC code #191       0d:08h:30m actually running Linux.
> >>                     This space for rent.
> >
> >Then was CNN correct in saying it lost 2/3 of its value?
>
> At the moment, one might say that "MSFT lost 2/3 of its value,
> then regained part of it back".  Mind you, stock value is somewhat
> illusory in a sense anyway; what does it really mean?  But it
> does appear that at two distinct points at time, which are
> more or less specifiable, there was a ratio of 1/3, which means
> MSFT lost 2/3 of its value as determined by stock price between
> these particular points.
>
> But I don't think CNN wants to use all of that verbiage; no
> news organization would.  So they trimmed it down a bit to
> "mostly harmless".... :-)
>

> >--

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- Don't panic! :-)
> EAC code #191       1d:16h:51m actually running Linux.
>                     This is the best part of the message.

The question then is, how long will it take MS to get back to its high
value?

From: LShaping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PC power switch wont shut down Windows
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 07:10:34 GMT

Peter Köhlmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>LShaping wrote:

>> Must have an IBM PC-XT, from over ten years ago.  Modern personal
>> computers have only one power switch and typically do not have a
>> rocker switch on the back next to the power inlet.  Not in the United
>> States.

>ATX-computers in germany have *all* this switch.
>Peter

I have *no idea* what that is supposed to mean.

------------------------------

From: Rex Ballard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 07:34:43 GMT

==============B06D6FF4B75A093F64CA2E93

Shane Phelps wrote:

> Rex Ballard wrote:
> >
> > This is a very interesting article.  Interesting first because
> > Microsoft even allowed the benchmark to be run and then published.
> > Since the NT Server license
> > requires Microsoft approval of all benchmarks I'm surprised it was
> > ever published.
> >
> > It would have been nicer if they had thrown in some graphs and charts
> > showing the relative comparisons embedded in the text.
> >
> > There were very few details of the results.  Furthermore, the
> > comparison
> > of Solaris 2.8 (not exactly Sun's Flagship product, especially now
> > that they
>
> Weeeeeel, actually Sunos 5.8 aka Solaris 2.8 aka Solaris 8 *is* Sun's
> flagship product. It performs better on SPARC than Intel, though,
> especially Ultra-SPARC II or III.

Precisely my point.  Sun doesn't try to keep up with every device
driver
and variation of PC hardware.  On the other hand, they keenly aware of
the hardware used in the SPARC environment.

> Solaris 2.6 is the last official Solaris 2.x release (all Solaris
> versions are still SunOS 5.x though :-)

Does this mean this benchmark was based on Beta Code?

> > have Cobalt), made Windows 2000 look better than Solaris (for Intel).
> > They also used the Linux 2.2 kernel (substantially slower than 2.4),
> > and they used proprietary software which is immune to the validation
> > of implementation details as is open source software.
> >
> > Most importantly, they did a good job of discussing the different
> > paradigms available and how they can be used.
> >
> > http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0107/0107a/0107a_f1.htm
> >
> > http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0107/0107a/0107a_f2.htm
> >
> > http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0107/0107a/0107a_f3.htm
> >
> > Linux Admin wrote:
> > >
> > > Linux stops Solaris and the best the over priced W2K can do is come close
> > > to a tie on one benchmark while falling far behind on another!
> >
> > Again, reading between the lines shows even more dramatic differences.
> > It would have been interesting to see Windows 2000, Linux 2.4.3 and
> > then show Solaris 8 and Linux 2.4.3 on Sparc Hardware.  Even I'm not
> > sure
>
> Solaris certainly seems to perform a lot better on SPARC than Intel.

Keep in mind that there are are about 5 "Intel compatible chips" on
the market,
plus about 20 motherboards, 20 leading video cards, add network cards,
drives,
and peripherals.  Even Microsoft finds it a bit unmanageable (new
releases rarely
support all of the current hardware).  When you look at all the
permutations
and combinations, it can get a bit ugly.  Linux solved the problem by
making
source code to the kernel available.  If there is a problem with the
driver,
you can fix the problem.  Even if you are developing proprietary
modules, you
can debug all the way into the bowels.

> Linux on SPARC is comparable for small numbers of CPUs, but Solaris scales really
> well.

That's especially true in the NUMA architectures.  When you are
coordinating
50-60 processors, Linux 2.2 was not terribly efficient.  The E-10K and
S-80
series servers can handle 64 SMP processors quite efficiently.
Solaris and
AIX can also run much faster when high performance storage SAN arrays
are used.

OF course, by the time you get into this league, you are so far beyond
the
capabilities of NT, or even Windows 2000, that you can't find good
benchmarks.

Ironically, though, Linux Beowulf clusters have now achieved the
status of being some
of the fastest computer systems in the world, many now into teraflops
and trillion
instructions per second.

--
Rex Ballard
It Architect

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell"
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:34:47 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > That is true.  But one should also be able to download a program as
> > binary that isn't linked to shared libraries... oh it will be much
> > bigger but safer.
>
> Say bye bye to your RAM, as well.
> Try to run couple of instances of the program, everytime you do it, all the
> libraries will be loaded, instead of the shared library approach, in which
> only one copy is loaded.

I guess that is why I had to upgrade to 256Mb ram on my Intel box to run
Solaris.
All the gnu libs are static.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:41:21 -0700

pip wrote:

> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Perhaps rather than phrasing a question you can simply explain what you
> > > mean rather than trying to be smug.
> >
> > Programs depend on spesific behaviour on the side of the API. It's most
> > apperant in Java, where minor subtelities in the behaviour of the API from
> > one JVM to another can break the program.
> > Bug compatability means that the API doesn't work as it should, and programs
> > *relies* on this bug to work.
> > When this bug get fixed, the program breaks.
>
> I see what you mean. At the end of the day - if a program relies on
> buggy behavior then it is simple wrong - and therefore must be corrected
> when the library gets fixed. Saying that a buggy library released to
> soon that then forms serious dependencies should not get fixed the right
> way is asking for trouble and more complications. Beside - breaking
> programs is the quickest way to get them fixed. And I meant that with
> sincerity. Of course this may not be such a good deal in closed source
> mind you.
>
> wtr Java as you bring it up I think that you are referring to many of
> the issue with pre-Java 2 changes. Java 2 (jdk 1.2 + ) is Sun putting a
> stick in the ground and saying to developers "you can rely on these
> api's : the testing is over". Before that time there were quite a few
> evolutionary changes taking place to make Java better. Of course
> programmers such as myself were well aware of this and able to update
> any code until the final standard was in place. Now the interfaces are
> pretty much fixed and only extra functionality and bug fixes are being
> added. As for any Java program that relies on a broken VM : I have not
> seen any examples of this. Having a look at the bug parade you will spot
> "work arounds" for various VM issues, but these are really the same
> thing : it's broken! And if it's broken then you are left with only two
> choices. Same as 'dll's.

There seems to be a few more APIs in jdk 1.3 than jdk 1.2.  Got them
both and ran a program I poked in out of the Core Java 2 book, and there
were a few differences when using reflection.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:50:34 -0700

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 12:37:34 +0100, pip
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Bob Hauck wrote:
> > [snip agreeable stuff]
> >
> > > Static linking has problems too, BTW, just a different set of them.
> >
> > How so ? If I link to my own static lib or link to another static lib -
> > at least I know it will work.
>
> Static binaries can't share code pages, which uses more memory.  If the
> kernel interfaces change, static binaries break, while dynamic ones can
> still work if the libraries they use to make syscalls are updated.  And
> of course static binaries are bigger.
>
> In the case of GnuCash, which started this, I think someone said it was
> 60-odd library dependencies.  I'd say that is a bit excessive unless
> most of them are pretty relaxed about which version you have.  I agree
> that developers need to pay attention to these issues and not just pull
> in a big pile of stuff just because they can.
>
> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

Got a question then:  Under Solaris 8 I have gcc and the libs.  If the
lib name is xyz.so.n.n is that a static or shared lib?  If I have both
types and I use the compiler what command line switch is there to link
to shared libs?
Under VMS I just typed in link/share to get a shared imaged for
muli-user purposes.

From: /p@ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Linux for me?
Date: 16 Jun 2001 23:55:29 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jack says...

> I mostly like
>to use my computer for internet stuff - writing web pages, random
>surfing, email, stuff like that. I also use it for mp3s.

Linux is a good OS and stable. But for what you want to use the PC
for, I recommend windows.

Windows IE is a much better browser. There is more support for windows
on the web, and I found that browsing using windows and IE is much more
pleasent that Linux/Netscape.

Now if you want a server, then I say Linux is the better choice.

/p

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:57:42 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > It might take quite a few, though.  This is a line
> > from a handy VC++ .dsp file named, as it turns out, Hello.dsp:
>
> Just tried to remove all the default linked libraries, this is what the
> resulting compiler option looks like.
>
> /nologo /subsystem:console /incremental:yes /pdb:"Debug/hello.pdb" /debug
> /machine:I386 /out:"Debug/hello.exe" /pdbtype:sept

On the machine:I386.... can this perhaps be changed to a pentium class??

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 17 Jun 2001 07:57:37 GMT

On 16 Jun 2001 23:55:29 -0700, /p@ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jack says...
>
>> I mostly like
>>to use my computer for internet stuff - writing web pages, random
>>surfing, email, stuff like that. I also use it for mp3s.
>>

> Linux is a good OS and stable. But for what you want to use the PC
> for, I recommend windows.

Nope, Windows is virii infested, expensive, and you need to constantly
upgrade.

> Windows IE is a much better browser.

Crap, its a matterof personal prefference.

> There is more support for windows
> on the web,

????????

> and I found that browsing using windows and IE is much more
> pleasent that Linux/Netscape.

Netscape sucks, but Linux/Mozilla rules.

> Now if you want a server, then I say Linux is the better choice.

I say use your Linux box for both, as Linux serves and workstations
and doesnt raise a sweat.

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So how many applications can Windows run on the IA-64?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 01:05:22 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Linux Admin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <ljyW6.15562$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > What?  1500 apps?  That's it?  Most Linux distro's have some 6000+.  Of
> > > course most of those apps are pretty worthless, who needs 200 window
> > > managers?
> > >

> > Worthless Linux apps? Funny you seem to forget the worlds most used email
> > server, Sendmail and the worlds most used webserver, Apache.
>
> I never said that.  I said "most" of them are "pretty" worthless.  Of course
> Apache and Sendmail are great apps (though I prefer qmail over Sendmail),
> but apps of this quality are a tiny fraction of those 1500 apps, almost
> non-existent in terms of percentage.
>
> > MS's
> > exchange on IA-64? Nope not yet. MS web server? Sorry, gotta wait! Not to
> > mention such great applications as Gimp or xmms. Any desktop MS apps for
> > the IA-64? Nothing not even a single windows manager. (and I know that
> > *you* need one).
>
> My point is that if porting is so easy, why aren't the other 5000+ apps that
> are available for Linux ported to it?
>
> This is not about Windows, it's about Linux.  You're standing on top of your
> molehill and proclaiming yourselves rulers of the world.

Well, I'll stand up out of my prairie dog hole and say this: More and
more UNIX companies and other computer company vendors like IBM, HP,
SGI, SUN, and then SCO it seems that all of these companies are starting
to adopt and use linux.  It seems that it is now Microsoft against the
rest of the world.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 01:07:54 -0700

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <9gfd3e$2rt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > > What for? The Linux desktop is _way_ behind Windows.
> >
> > Aaah, a classic PG argument: non trolling, well thought out and plenty of
> > good points backed up by facts.
>
> Just take a look at the numbers. Need I say more?
>
> --
> Pete

Whose numbers tho?