Fraser wrote:

> Hi Adrian,
>
> Adrian Knoth wrote:
>
>> Just a note: I personally don't like VUs in the digital domain.
>>
> agree, their primary purpose is a bit meaningless.
>

>> I prefer Bob Katz' K metering system (K12, K14, K20) with well defined
>> headrooms.
>>
>> Check out this page for a detailed description on the K metering system:
>>
>>    http://www.digido.com/level-practices-part-2-includes-the-k-system.html
>>

>> Note that many commercial software vendors ship analyzer plugins using
>> the K system, i.e. RME's DigiCheck.
>>
>> I'd suggest to go for this, too.
>>

> thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of that before. I'll have a look at
> implementing it.
>
> cheers,
> Fraser

This are recording techniques. You shouldn't apply them by any function
to adjust the meter to any imaginary point. The only useful thing is to
have a pre-adjusted meter, that can't be readjusted by the audio
engineer. For people who like Katz's technique, some marks might be
useful and/ or a function that shows the most low and the most loud
level. There might be other rules of thumb, not only Katze's. Meters are
used to adjust signals. I understand what you aim at, I also understand
what switches on mics, to turn them on and of are designed to, but there
are good reasons why such things shouldn't be done.