Hello Clemens!
the asterisk logs only show, that it can't open the device. I tried to put in some extra debug info, but it simply likes to fail with pcm_open. Still from what Fons said, I've given up the ALSA jack_plug as a bad job and would like to concentrate instead on the JACK application of Asterisk (app_jack). Oh before I forget: In some cases Asterisk opened the device and happily crashed afterwards, printing something about segfaulting, while somewhere in libc. Not of any use to me. If you'd like to know - I know that there are people, who use chan_alsa and would be delighted to see something fixed - I'd rerun the tests and figure out where what happens and send you the chan_alsa chan_console messages in question. I guess the crash issue is something for the Asterisk people only. Since a crash is a very bad thing, not the best display of reliability and stability. :-) Thanks for your answer and for taking the time to look into chan_alsa. This was very kind of you!
  Warm regards
         Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net