Hello,

in Denemo, which is GPL, (http://www.denemo.org) we had a similar problem. Our
plugins are scripted scheme code and scheme is just a language. So what about
user scripts? Are they just programs and the author can decide or are they GPL,
too?
Since we are GNU we could ask the "bosses" directly :)

In our case Denemo exports special Scheme commands from C so you have to use
them which makes the scripts a derived work under GPL, which is nice because we
don't need the authors permission to include it in our website or integrate it
in our "mainline" command set.
The key here is that our plugins can only be run with one host, Denemo.

So this is an example the other way around, that the GPL (intends to/) covers
plugins if they are derived in a way that they are only runnable for a single
host software.

Nils