I've started making tentative steps towards improving yoshimi - in particular
with respect to isolating MIDI, GUI and DSP.

The jack ring buffer is already used for data transfers from jack midi to the
dsp code, but I want to a) set up another buffer between jack midi and gui, and
b) if possible, try to do the same for alsa midi.

>From what I've read, the jack ring buffer will happily work between any two
threads on a garbage-in-garbage-out basis.

However, around 2008 there was a lot of discussion about thread safety/memory
barriers etc. Was this ever resolved?

Also - and I don't know if this is actually a realistic situation - how would I
handle an all alsa setup? Would there be anything preventing me just linking to
the ring buffer itself?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk